• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Maybe We've Got It The Wrong Way Round

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Just a shower-thought I had today, bear with me...

You know how people sometimes say that they feel 'a chill' or 'cold spot' somewhere, or a weird feeling, and then they get told 'oh yes, someone was murdered/died in that spot'. So they connect the two things and decide that the death caused the cold spot.

Well, what if it's the other way round? Someone susceptible could be in a room and subject to 'something' that causes a cold spot or weird feeling (thinking about infrasound or underground water source or something) and it might make them freak and kill someone who is there with them or suffer some kind of seizure and die.

Are there any reports of cold spots or weird feelings that pre date the killing or death? Or do people only start putting two and two together after someone has died?

I've often been in places and had a creepy feeling or felt chills, where nobody has died or been killed. I wouldn't really bother mentioning them. However, if I know someone has died on that spot, and I feel a chill, I'm going to make much more of it.

Any thoughts?

Some reported such 'cold spots' (haunted spots, whatever ... ) have been the scenes of multiple deaths or similarly awful events.

Are you asking for only those examples of such anticipatory feelings or claims that can be reasonably established as happening before the first known occurrence in such a series?

Enola, I'm just positing that maybe the cold spots/weird feelings could be the cause of the deaths. If something that is causing the effect of a cold spot was something that could act on vulnerable minds to the extent of causing a murderous rage or loss of physical control, then would anyone have taken enough notice of the feelings before the terrible events to the extent of making a note of them?

Enola, I'm just positing that maybe the cold spots/weird feelings could be the cause of the deaths. If something that is causing the effect of a cold spot was something that could act on vulnerable minds to the extent of causing a murderous rage or loss of physical control, then would anyone have taken enough notice of the feelings before the terrible events to the extent of making a note of them?

OK ... Thanks for the clarification ... That's what I thought you meant. The main reason I asked was to make it clear to anyone replying that you were looking for original causation, and any nomination of a spot known for multiple such events should focus on the initial / earliest such event.

Yes, sorry, I'm even confusing myself now!

Was just wondering if there were any such places? But then, would anyone keep a record of a place where people had complained of a random 'cold spot' without any sinister events having taken place there?

My entire house is a 'cold spot' (north facing, chronically damp, thick walls) and I usually feel random chills on walking into a room. To my knowledge, nothing odd, sinister or fatal has ever happened here though. So I rationalise it as being north facing and damp.

Does the spot have to be 'cold' (dark; oppressive; depressive; whatever)?

Or are you also interested in spots that could be described more as 'hot' (energizing; agitating; frenzy-inducing; whatever)?

Great shower thought.

I can see it might be hard to find evidence of a cold spot subsequently becoming a murder location, but if cold spots are liable to cause murder/death then presumably you might find deaths at the same (cold) spot, separated in time.

Two deaths in the same place might show up in the lore (and support your idea).

I'd be most interested in spots that exhibited traditional 'haunted' aspects - cold, oppressive, feeling 'dark' or heavy. Any other anomalous aspect would be interesting, but if I'm trying to get the 'reverse' theory off the ground, then it would have to be those sensations that are most commonly reported at 'haunted' locations - which tend to be of the dark, chilly persuasion.

Moth - if only certain people are predisposed to experience, say, murderous rage when faced with (let's say) infrasound, then there wouldn't necessarily be more than one murder in a spot. It might depend on state of mind at the time, so it might be rare - a perfect storm of circumstances, if you like.

Tom Lethbridge, the great Dowser, wrote of these places of dread and also thought the atmosphere of such dour places could inspire harmful thoughts. You could do worse than read a bit of his stuff,

I wonder what the most-appropriate warning sign would be, for such baleful bad places? A pictogram, colour, sigil, thorn.....

I wonder what the most-appropriate warning sign would be, for such baleful bad places? A pictogram, colour, sigil, thorn.....

I think I once saw a pictogram for a "blind spring" - one of those blocked channels of earth-currents, which are supposed to cause awful things. Looking it up online, I can find only pictograms about blind people! :fslap:

Back