• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mental Radio: The Lost Art of Telepathy

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I'm reading a slim but somewhat famous volume from the 1920s by Upton Sinclair, called Mental Radio. It recounts years of informal experiments between him and his wife in telepathy. Specifically of the "see if you can draw the picture I've just drawn" variety.

The book gets mentioned, usuallyin passing, in a lot of fortean and skeptical themed literature mainly because Einstein provide a supportive, if non commital, forward to the german edition. The book is available on amazon but you can also read it for free online. Just google the title followed by "pdf" and you'll find it.

Anyway I'm a few chapters in and already half a dozen different subjects deserving of threads of their own come flooding to mind. So these observations are a bit scattergun.
The first is about Scepticism and debunking. If any evidence were needed for the much talked about guerrilla skeptics who control wiki entries on any paranormal subject, this is it. The Wikipedia entry for Mental Radio has two sections..a summary of what its about and "critical reception", which as you might suspect means negative reception. It quotes a noted sceptic at length. And its quite extraordinary.
"In the first place, an intuitive wife, who knows her husband intimately, may be able to guess with a fair degree of accuracy what he is likely to draw—particularly if the picture is related to some freshly recalled event the two experienced in common. At first, simple pictures like chairs and tables would likely predominate, but as these are exhausted, the field of choice narrows and pictures are more likely to be suggested by recent experiences. It is also possible that Sinclair may have given conversational hints during some of the tests—hints which in his strong will to believe, he would promptly forget about. Also, one must not rule out the possibility that in many tests, made across the width of a room, Mrs. Sinclair may have seen the wiggling of the top of a pencil, or arm movements, which would convey to her unconscious a rough notion of the drawing."

This casual debunking - two likelys, three mays, a possibly and a possibility - is what anyone who had not read the book would believe of it if they googled it and so would not feel the need to find out for themselves. Which would appear to be the point. Because what it describes bears no relation that I can detect to the actual contents! I've seen this time and time again. In this particular case the idea that the wife could see the wiggle of the husband's pencil (ooer missus) is ruled out from the first page...great emphasis is put on them being in different rooms (with closed doors)/floors of the house/buildings or even cities! So why did the quoted sceptic/wiki entry suggest something which is palpably false as the explanation? The images themselves are not confined to obvious household items but a vast array of detailed randomness, and the author refers to flicking through magazines or books to pick an image. The examples also include inadvertent telepathy relating to things he is silently reading etc. What all this tells us about the sceptical literature is at the very least to treat it with great scepticism and check the original sources for ourselves. But as for the motive for such mischief it's beyond me.

The second point of interest is that in the background chapters psychic experiences in a state of induced hypnosis are cited several times...and that got me thinking: why do we never hear of such experiments any more? Does anyone carry them out? In the literature of the past telepathy and clairvoyance seem to have been regularly experimented with or noticed in hypnotic subjects...but you never hear of it at all now. Surely someone must have tried a proper study? Does anyone know?

The thing of greatest interest..though the bulk of the book is about drawing exercises (the kind of thing we've all seen Uri Gellar and most stage magicians do on TV, so must be doable by trickery, but in this instance we're not being shown a performance but rather recieving a written report of private experiences), they don't take place in isolation but stem from his wife's concerted effort to master and control such ability having witnessed and wishing to discover for herself. Subsequently lots of other material is reported in the first few chapters which, the author's sincerity seemingly beyond doubt, are quite staggering in that they essentially fit the comic book notion of telepathy rather than the dull card guessing and knowing who is about to phone which we always hear about these days. She appears, on his persuasive word, to have been able - with the two or three individuals with whom she established "rapport" - to direct her attention to their activiities and movements at will, pick up their thoughts in her dreams and even silently instruct them in what to do.

It's well worth a read. You'll want to experiment.

We've tried a few 'mental radio' experiments on this MB in the past (without any great degree of success!)

Let's try another. I've put a photo on my desktop, which I hope will help keep it in my mind. The photo was taken within the past week, by me, but I haven't mentioned it on this board at all.

If anyone out there gets any impressions about the image (colours, shapes, or anything more specific) post them on here. I suggest you start your post with #Image, to mark it out from any more general posts on telepathy, so general discussion can still take place in between the picture guessing! At the w/e, say, I'll review the guesses and see if we have any telepaths or psychics amongst us!

I'll give it a go. But I think the great disadvantage is the need for "rapport" with the person "sending" which is unlikely to exist between anoynmous strangers over a message board. Add to that no specified time when both parties are concentrating on the item and the chances of success are likely to be diminished further.

I have done it in the past on occassions, before precog dreams became my obsession, with friends from afar. And Mrs Sinclair's description of the process in her minds eye is very much what I was doing. The difference in accuracy perhaps due to her very detailed process for creating a truly blank mind without falling asleep!

I did discover some strange things when I did it. With the first person he would recount often that the details described matched things around him at the time, more than just the item concentrated upon...and in one particular instance he'd forgotten about the test and yet reported the images I described matched those which he thought about or experienced at the allotted time while out walking his dog instead of sitting at home concentrating as I supposed him to be! When during the same period I tried the experiment with another individual there were no matches...but when I told person A about this latter test he reported my descriptions matched the contents of HIS attic which he happened to be clearing out at the time of my experiment!

So that raised two questions..how did my mind locate the specific person in space,and how could I break the connection away from him and onto someone else when I wanted?

Another thng I found is that it takes the "sender" to be the sort of person who is both trying and willign to spot the connections. When I did it with friends I felt I'd have the closest bond to,they were basically too dumb or disinterested to put any effort it into the exercise at all!

A later series of attempts a year or so after that with someone else entirely were, as ever tantalisingly suggestive but of no use as evidence for strangers. One of the most striking is that I "saw" a large cartoon big cat, Grotbags,the witch from childrens TV, and lots of grey cylindrical objects...an elephants foot, a tin can, the head of a hammer or mallet etc... Turned out he was concentrating on a DVD of The Wizard of Oz (lion, witch, tinman)

#image
I've just given it a half arsed go now, but will do a second proper attempt at 10.30 this evening uk time, if you're around to concentrate on the image yourself.

But for now the following popped out of hte blackness. A tiger (possibly just an initial burst of image based on my big cat reference above); Triangular lines with one side missing..or a sideways v if you like..like this: > ; spokes of an umbrella; a helicopter or sometjhing with propellers; something circular or egg shaped that separated horizontally in the middle between top and bottom halves,again perhaps with some kind of propeller top; a bowl teetering on the edge of a shelf..the bowl had orange and blue patterning. (Tying back in with the initial tiger image i wondered if it was a chinese vase)

Finally and likely influenced by your sailing ship profile pic a yacht was the first thing to pop into my head before I began the exercise.

I'll give it a go. But I think the great disadvantage is the need for "rapport" with the person "sending" which is unlikely to exist between anoynmous strangers over a message board. Add to that no specified time when both parties are concentrating on the item and the chances of success are likely to be diminished further.
Rapport? Who knows?

But I'm less sure of the need for both parties to be 'concentrating'. Perhaps it's best not to concentrate, to give the subconscious more freedom to do its thing. And the paranormal doesn't always seem to follow our ideas about time, so set times for 'concentrating' might also be a constraint. And sometimes I might think of the overall image, and other times focus in on particular aspects.

Well, we can but try! We might surprise ourselves! :)

(But if you do get into my mind, please ignore the mucky bits! :oops:)

Well I think the evidence from both sinclair and my own minor experiences reported above is not that concentrating in the sense of furrowed brows and thinking hard is necessary, but rathr that one seems to be picking up what is passing through the mind of the target at the time of the "seeing". One appears definitely to be picking up from thei conscious thoughts rather than in any sense "remote viewing". So that in the hypothetical situation here where I'm trying to see your photo target by "reading" your mind, but you, at that moment, are cooking your fish fingers for tea, it's more likely that any match would relate to the latter rather than the former!

Here's how I think this might work (if it does!)
People who read this thread now know there's an image 'out there' to be spotted. This info will lodge in the subconscious, which now keeps a look out for any unexpected images that come to mind.

You may be watching TV, cooking supper, playing FreeCell on your computer, etc, but certainly not consciously concentrating on seeing an image. If you do get an image, or part of one, that seems unrelated to anything in your conscious mind at the time, report it here, and we'll see what results we get.

Happy day dreaming!

(EDIT: I wrote this post about the same time Gattino posted, but I forgot to send it! Interesting though that we both mentioned cooking a meal!)

#image, either in black and white, or with very moody lighting. A bare ( as in no leaves ) gnarly old tree, juxtaposed against an otherwise empty landscape, apart from some sort of rock or rocky outcrop.

Is it a picture of a dog's bottom with a Kiss-Me-Quick hat on? :confused:

Oh no, that's the one on my desk! :oops:

If you're not happy describing an image in words, then try a sketch of it, and upload that.

The problem with experiments like these is, we don't really know what we're testing. Is it telepathy, or remote viewing? Or are these just different names for the same thing? Most psi phenomena can be expained in different ways, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to get a handle on it.

Well that was my earlier point. When I was doing these experiments myself I was attempting remote viewing as I saw it..that's to say clairvoyance. Imaginign my mind travelling to the room/location in question and "seeing" what was there. But the anomalous results I mentioned..picking up casual thoughts which weren't the target, honing in o the wrong person etc demonstrated to me that the information - if you accept there was any at all - was not coming from the place but from the mind of the individual. In short telepathy.

What of those instances where there is no individual involved directly...cia remote viewing tests etc, or randomly chosen objects in a locked box etc..? I would say they were akin to precognition. You're foreseeing what the result is going to be when revealed. In both cases clairvoyance, in the sense of some kind of mental or astral travel to the target doesn't seem to be needed as a term.

#image

Well I've just given it a proper go in a darkened room eyes closed etc. Nothing much flashed through my minds eye I'm afraid apart from shapes.

Again the sideways facing L/> shape a lot..then like the umbrella spokes again but facing upwards..that's to stay vertical main body with multiple angled verticals extending from teh top, such as a candelabra, bare tree or upturned brolley....then the shape became more circular, overlapping folds like a theatre curtain or the gills of a fish. A fish itself had popped into my imaginings earlier. Later a distinctly tadpole like thing, moving, roundish body with longish tail.

Finally a seemingly random image of a woman in a black velvet dress (judy dench in my current mind's eye..queen victoria?). Merely by association my mind wandered on to other victorian scenes, so stopped there.

I have time now so will explain that the notion that the image is of a mushroom/s came not from conscious effort but from my old friend dreamworld.

I could tell you all the surrounding details of the dream in case any of those were relevant but the FT test reference was a very specific moment so it makes sense to confine myself to that as if thre is any relevance it makes sense that it would be concentrated there.

The specific scene involved some kind of open plan room or shop and I was retrieving from a locker a posting from someone on these boards. The username of the poster was written as "Paquino" and the image retrieved was a black and white photo. The subject of the photo is, I assume not what's being tested here by rynner as it was too rude! Basically a naked selfie of a man in white baseball cap lounging in the sun perhaps, but the specific feature was a rather gruesomely unfortunate genital arrangement that resembled a small large headed mushroom. Whether thsi tells you more about my subconscious or yours is for the gossip columns. On waking I settled on the idea that the mushroom or toadstool shape is what was relevant here.

Intriguingly it occurred to me lying still half asleep soon after to wonder if Paquino might not be a usersname but a type of mushroom so I googled it. To my huge surprise - since I know nothing about either food nor the spanish language whatsoever - "pequeno mushroom" is a genuine combination of words appearing in menus and recipes. Pequeno is apparently spanish for small or little. This extraordinary thing (I repeat, I know no spanish!) confirmed my decision to interpret the mucky image as related to mushrooms.

A final aside mentioned only because of the spanish theme, but later the placename "san antonio" was said in my mind.

#image.

I got an image of a grey cannon and what looked like mist or sea-spray.

Keep the #images coming! There are already a few points to comment on. :cool:

Well others may but as for me I've retired my efforts. The mushroom idea from teh dream also fits in in with the earlier consciously retrieved shapes..vertical stem and umbrella like spokes, semi circles etc... So either that or/and the spanish connection. I doubt I'd get any more. And repeated efforts from one person run the risk of seeming like having 52 goes to pick a card!

The problem with experiments like these is, we don't really know what we're testing. Is it telepathy, or remote viewing? Or are these just different names for the same thing? Most psi phenomena can be expained in different ways, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to get a handle on it.

I think it might be called "guessing".

I think it might be called "guessing".
Your conscious self might guess, but I'm hoping that the subconscious might access different levels of reality.

Well, we might find out on Saturday. (Can't specify a time yet - the weather and my bowels control my actions!)

B0fN-cJCYAAtv9z.jpg

Well, I'm no Uri Geller so...

#image
No matter how much I concentrate, all I see is a man's maroon shirt sleeve.
Since the photo is unlikely to be a maroon shirt sleeve, I can only surmise that some bloke's long-sleeved button-down is interfering with my psychic capabilities.

Well, I'm no Uri Geller so...

#image
No matter how much I concentrate, all I see is a man's maroon shirt sleeve.
Since the photo is unlikely to be a maroon shirt sleeve, I can only surmise that some bloke's long-sleeved button-down is interfering with my psychic capabilities.
Well, I think trying to "concentrate" could be the problem. You should just let your subconcious roam free!

In the later chapters of the book Mrs Sinclair takes over the writing and goes into as absolute detail as she knows how about what she's doing in her mind when successfully performing these feats. It's very clearly written but whether you'd jhave the patience to fully follow it I don't know.. I'm sure I don't. As I doubt people will rush out and read the book, and copy and pasting will be too long I'll try and post the whole chapter here in photo form in 3 parts.
1507827_10153571374748572_1288832215487256175_n.jpg
10945723_10153571374773572_5762928658555091066_n.jpg

Your conscious self might guess, but I'm hoping that the subconscious might access different levels of reality.

Well, we might find out on Saturday. (Can't specify a time yet - the weather and my bowels control my actions!)
Well, not many response to #image, so let's look at what we did get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've just given it a half arsed go now, but will do a second proper attempt at 10.30 this evening uk time, if you're around to concentrate on the image yourself.

But for now the following popped out of hte blackness. A tiger (possibly just an initial burst of image based on my big cat reference above); Triangular lines with one side missing..or a sideways v if you like..like this: > ; spokes of an umbrella; a helicopter or sometjhing with propellers; something circular or egg shaped that separated horizontally in the middle between top and bottom halves,again perhaps with some kind of propeller top; a bowl teetering on the edge of a shelf..the bowl had orange and blue patterning. (Tying back in with the initial tiger image i wondered if it was a chinese vase)

Finally and likely influenced by your sailing ship profile pic a yacht was the first thing to pop into my head before I began the exercise.
gattino, Wednesday at 4:10 PM

#image, either in black and white, or with very moody lighting. A bare ( as in no leaves ) gnarly old tree, juxtaposed against an otherwise empty landscape, apart from some sort of rock or rocky outcrop.
Loquaciousness, Wednesday at 6:16 PM

Well I've just given it a proper go in a darkened room eyes closed etc. Nothing much flashed through my minds eye I'm afraid apart from shapes.

Again the sideways facing L/> shape a lot..then like the umbrella spokes again but facing upwards..that's to stay vertical main body with multiple angled verticals extending from teh top, such as a candelabra, bare tree or upturned brolley....then the shape became more circular, overlapping folds like a theatre curtain or the gills of a fish. A fish itself had popped into my imaginings earlier. Later a distinctly tadpole like thing, moving, roundish body with longish tail.

Finally a seemingly random image of a woman in a black velvet dress (judy dench in my current mind's eye..queen victoria?). Merely by association my mind wandered on to other victorian scenes, so stopped there.
gattino, Wednesday at 10:42 PM

I have time now so will explain that the notion that the image is of a mushroom/s came not from conscious effort but from my old friend dreamworld.

I could tell you all the surrounding details of the dream in case any of those were relevant but the FT test reference was a very specific moment so it makes sense to confine myself to that as if thre is any relevance it makes sense that it would be concentrated there.

The specific scene involved some kind of open plan room or shop and I was retrieving from a locker a posting from someone on these boards. The username of the poster was written as "Paquino" and the image retrieved was a black and white photo. The subject of the photo is, I assume not what's being tested here by rynner as it was too rude! Basically a naked selfie of a man in white baseball cap lounging in the sun perhaps, but the specific feature was a rather gruesomely unfortunate genital arrangement that resembled a small large headed mushroom. Whether thsi tells you more about my subconscious or yours is for the gossip columns. On waking I settled on the idea that the mushroom or toadstool shape is what was relevant here.

Intriguingly it occurred to me lying still half asleep soon after to wonder if Paquino might not be a usersname but a type of mushroom so I googled it. To my huge surprise - since I know nothing about either food nor the spanish language whatsoever - "pequeno mushroom" is a genuine combination of words appearing in menus and recipes. Pequeno is apparently spanish for small or little. This extraordinary thing (I repeat, I know no spanish!) confirmed my decision to interpret the mucky image as related to mushrooms.

A final aside mentioned only because of the spanish theme, but later the placename "san antonio" was said in my mind.
gattino, Thursday at 8:26 AM

I got an image of a grey cannon and what looked like mist or sea-spray.
Rosebud, Thursday at 9:10 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No dramatic successes there, I'm afraid! Apart from Gattino, nobody reported any colours, which is interesting because although the target is a colour photo, the colours are fairly muted, and a B&W version would not look much different.

Loquaciousness came closest to a specific feature, with "some sort of rock or rocky outcrop", but bare trees (and it is winter!) are outnumbered by evergreens in this pic!

Rosebud went for a "grey cannon", and there is a grey, cylindrical looking object in the picture, but it's not very prominent. No mist or spray either.

The image does contain strong horizontal and vertical lines. Possibly this connects with Gattino's "Again the sideways facing L/> shape a lot", but he added "then like the umbrella spokes again but facing upwards..that's to stay vertical main body with multiple angled verticals extending from teh top, such as a candelabra, bare tree or upturned brolley", which might relate to the top left of the image.

I'm off to check for new posts since I started typing this, in case of any late entries, then I'll reveal the picture!

OK, here it is:

DSCN3999.jpg

Nobody mentioned the church, houses or cars!

Comments?

To be honest I think we were on a hiding to nothing from teh start for the reasons stated...unconnected strangers trying to read minds regarding a generic item in an unknown place is probably not the best laboratory conditions!

I won't pretend anytng I wrote bears the slightest resemblance to the pic. Though I remain curious about my dream.

It would have been interesting to know..and from this distance it will be impossibnle to recall..whetehr any of the guesses coincided with other material in your mind or in front o fyour eyes at the time the attempt to "see" was made.

Back