• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Merry Midwinter Solstice

I'm a Celt and I fully wish all people good health and happiness for the New Year!

Can we change the thread title? :D

Hundreds celebrate shortest day

Hundreds of druids, pagans and tourists have flocked to Stonehenge in Wiltshire to celebrate the Winter Solstice early on Sunday morning.

The pagan tradition celebrates the shortest day of the year.

About 1,900 people, some dressed in cloaks and robes, saw the sunrise at the prehistoric site. The Summer Solstice can attract more than 20,000.

Rupert Irving, 28, from Cirencester, said Stonehenge was "spectacular" and that the "sky was beautiful".

"It was a shame the sun was not up but the sky was really nice with shades of blue and orange. It was a really nice backdrop to the stones," he said.

"It's a religious festival for some people and it's great to be a part of it, and they don't mind, there's such a great atmosphere."

A £20m visitor centre is to be built at the site but Heritage minister Barbara Follett has postponed until January an announcement about the location of the centre.

English Heritage and The National Trust are in disagreement over where the centre should be built.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wilt ... 794338.stm

rynner2 said:
Can we change the thread title? :D

No! :D

Midwinter solstice refers to the time of year (non negotiable) and an astronomical period (equally non-negotiable). If some silly buggers want to take exception to it on religious grounds, then they have the same validity as those who observe the Solstice on religiious grounds.

Such as myself.

It isn't as flexible or theologically debateable as something like the date of Easter - which has it's own pitfalls and definite "grey" areas of definition. The shortest night is bloody obvious!

Happy Solstice all!

I was referring to the year... ;)

Bugger!
I'm old - I always get things wrong. Who are you? Is this my foot? Where's my cocoa?

It's not MidWinter, though. It's MidSummer.

Happy Solstice everyone and we've still got Sol Invictus on the 25th

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Health, Wealth and Happiness, everybody! :)
Yes, fine, but you could have trimmed the '2007' off the thread title. :roll:

That way the thread can be re-used year after year...

Every December, when we dig out the box with the Christmas decorations in, we could revive this thread as well! :D

I'm watching Jethro Tull performing , 'Solstice Bells', on the Top the Pops 2: Christmas special. I've just remembered that I used to have a copy of the single. :madeyes:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I'm watching Jethro Tull performing , 'Solstice Bells', on the Top the Pops 2: Christmas special. I've just remembered that I used to have a copy of the single. :madeyes:

I saw that too, probably the best thing on it by dint of the fact that the only place you ever hear it is on Christmas TOTP2, so you're unlikely to be sick of it by December the 25th. Well, that and "Hey Mr Christmas" by Showadddywaddy. Maybe not.

May everyone be happy and safe,
and may all hearts be filled with joy.
May all living beings live in security and in peace
beings who are frail or strong,
tall or short, big or small,
visible or not visible, near or far away,
already born or yet to be born.
May all of them dwell in perfect tranquility.
Let no one do harm to anyone.
Let no one put the life of anyone in danger.
Let no one, out of anger or ill will,
wish anyone any harm.

And, I might add "party on!"

TOTP2, eh?

Very disturbing - much of the stuff they play dates from when I was still young! :shock: :(

gncxx said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

I saw that too, probably the best thing on it by dint of the fact that the only place you ever hear it is on Christmas TOTP2, so you're unlikely to be sick of it by December the 25th. Well, that and "Hey Mr Christmas" by Showadddywaddy. Maybe not.

Me too.....and I've just worked out where the guy from the Kaiser Chiefs gets his look and his moves from (less the beard and flute, natch).

Actually, I thought the clip of Tom Jones, from 2001, singing 'Run, Run, Rudolph', an old Chuck Berry number, rocked and I'll always have a soft spot for the Slade, Wizzard, John Lennon and Jona Lewie Christmas singles. :D

Why do mornings still get darker after the winter solstice?

Today is the shortest day of the year, so it should follow that mornings will start getting brighter from now on, shouldn't it? Not necessarily, writes Kris Griffiths.
This Sunday, 21 December, the northern hemisphere will experience the shortest day of its year, marked at 22:03 GMT by an astronomical phenomenon known as the winter solstice - the moment the North Pole is tilted furthest from the sun as the Earth continues on its orbit.

The solstice doesn't always occur on 21 December. Sometimes it nudges into the early hours of 22 December, which will happen again next year. The hour of day also varies. Last year's arrived at 17:11. Next year's will at 04:38.
Whatever day or time it happens, for many commuters it means leaving the house and returning from work in darkness, in the knowledge that from here on in the long nights will get shorter, with the sun rising earlier and setting later as we journey again towards the spring equinox.

However, the more astute of these early risers might have perceived a curious development, which may have passed by the more bleary-eyed unnoticed.
It would seem logical that after the shortest day has elapsed the mornings would start getting lighter earlier, but this isn't what happens - the mornings continue darkening until early in the new year.

[Table of SR and SS in London - doesn't format properly on here]

Meanwhile, those who thought that the winter solstice would mark the earliest sunset would also be wrong as the earliest sunset arrives a couple of weeks earlier.
In the southern hemisphere, it's exactly the opposite story. In Sydney, Australia, for example, mornings will start getting darker from the middle of December, while the evenings will continue to get lighter until early January.
So what is behind this peculiarity, which appears to fly in the face of received wisdom about the solstice - surely the shortest day should experience the latest sunrise and earliest sunset?
Well, the primary reason behind it all is that a day - a solar day to be precise - is not always exactly 24 hours.

"In fact, it is 24 hours only four times a year, and never in December," explains astronomer Stephen Hurley, who runs a popular science blog called The Science Geek. "It is at its shortest around 23 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds, in early September, and at its longest around 24 hours 30 seconds in December."
There are two reasons why the length of the solar day varies, the first being the fact that the axis of the Earth's rotation is tilted - 23.5 degrees from vertical - and second, the Earth's speed varies because it moves in an elliptical orbit around the sun, accelerating when it is closer to the star's gravitational pull and decelerating when it is further away.
The sun therefore in effect lags behind the clock for part of the year, then speeds ahead of it for another.
"As you can imagine, it would be complete chaos if our clocks and watches had to cope with days of different lengths," continues Hurley. "So we use 24 hours, the average over the whole year, for all timekeeping purposes.
"So, as the solar days in December are on average 24 hours and 30 seconds, while our clocks and watches are still assuming that each day is exactly 24 hours, this causes the day to shift about 30 seconds later each day."
This cumulative shifting explains why the evenings draw in towards their earliest sunset a couple of weeks before the shortest day, and why the mornings continue to get darker until a couple of weeks after.

etc...

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/merry-midwinter-solstice.31610/#post-751487

It's nice to see this phenomenon explained so well. It might assist in my usually clumsey attempts to impart these facts to my colleagues. They look at me like I'm insane when I respond to, 'It'll be the shortest day soon, so the evenings will start getting lighter,' with, 'Actually, the evenings began getting lighter a few days ago.'

Pfft, here in Cheshire it's not even raining.

Solstice celebrated at 'new' long barrow in Wiltshire
_79863591_79862262.jpg

The burial chamber is aligned to the sunrise of the solstice, allowing the sun to illuminate the internal stone passageway

The winter solstice has been celebrated at the first "Neolithic" long barrow to be built in the UK for 5,500 years.
The burial chamber near Devizes, which can hold about 1,000 cremation urns, was completed earlier this year.
The structure is aligned to the sunrise of the solstice, allowing the sun to illuminate the internal stone passageway.
About 50 people, from as far afield as London and Derbyshire, attended the ceremony.
Tim Daw, who built the long barrow, said: "I think we got [the alignment] right when we marked it out with a couple of sticks all that time ago.
_79873614_79873613.jpg

About 50 people attended the Winter Solstice ceremony

"I wasn't sure what we were going to do if the sun had come up in the wrong place."

Mr Daw said about two thirds of the niches have been reserved and urns with cremated remains in them have already been placed within the mound.
The ceremony was held on the morning of this year's winter solstice - the moment when the [north pole] is tilted furthest away from the sun - which will occur at 23:03 GMT.

A separate winter solstice ceremony took place at nearby Avebury, and further ceremonies are due to take place at Stonehenge and Avebury on Monday morning.
_79875099_79873617.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-30561671

I was up well before dawn this morning, to welcome in the last sunrise before the solstice. I like to watch the early false dawn creeping in, especially in wintertime, when it looks like there will be no new day. Thanks for the links

Back