• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Meteorite' Lands and Burns on Israel Beach

ramonmercado said:
Wait! Hamas claim that it was one of their missiles!
Quite possible. I never heard of a meteorite burning. Although the outer layer does get hot with friction in the plunge through the atmosphere, most of it is still at the bitter cold of outer space, as the heat doesn't get time to conduct in from the surface.

That burning object might be phosphorus from a flare, or something similar.

rynner2 said:

That seems like the most plausible explanation.

rynner2 said:
ramonmercado said:
Wait! Hamas claim that it was one of their missiles!
Quite possible. I never heard of a meteorite burning. Although the outer layer does get hot with friction in the plunge through the atmosphere, most of it is still at the bitter cold of outer space, as the heat doesn't get time to conduct in from the surface.

At fist glance I presumed it was a boat flare, around the 24 second mark the close up shows the surface fizzing & bubbling away in a very un-meteroic fashion.

Mr P

This object contained high quantities of phosphorus, a chemical commonly used in incendiary weapons.
Whoopee! I win the jellybabies! :D

Astronomy insists that meteors land ice-cold, since they have spent billions of years travelling through space at very nearly Absolute Zero.

The surface of the meteor heats up a few hundredths of an inch as it falls through the atmosphere, but this dissipates within seconds after landing,

Individuals who touch fallen meteors and "burn" their fingers actually experience "freezer burn."

Back