Midnight / Candle / Mirror Myth & Bloody Mary Game

Gunnlod

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
When I was a kid, there wasa corn field near my house where there were two grave-shaped piles of stones, one about six feet long, the other aout four feet. They had been there as far back as anyone could remember, which was only about thirty years since that's when the houses went up in the road--postwar housing boom. Of course the end of WWII seemed like the beginning of time to us kids :lol: Anyway, I made up a lurid tale of how the farmer had murdered his wife and daughter and buried them in the field. Even though I'd made up the story myself, I still used to get the creeps walking past a dusk. What if they really were graves.... :_omg:

BTW, I like the sound of your neighbor,OTR. I wonder what would have happened if he put the house on the marker? :lol:

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Gunnlod, it's occurred to me since then that my neighbor possibly discovered the perfect way to dispose of a murder victim. Hey, everybody KNOWS that that grave's just a fake.

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The Bloody Mary experiment has been done many times by posters to this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

cassie45

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
slumber party

I was at a slumber party where several girls were making everyone do the "Bloody Mary"game.Three girls would push in a girl ,lock the bathroom door and would not open it untill the trapped girl called out Bloody Mary three times.The girls were terrified and would scream and cry.Before they got to me,the girl"s older brother came out of his room and made them stop.But I was ready to run out of the house before they caught me.I did not go to slumber parties after that and two of the girls are now afraid of mirrors,they remember being terrified with the other girls laughing at them

Dingo667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I have also tried "bloody Mary" because I want something to happen, but as soon as you do it without being in that "scared" mood, it feels just silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the discussion here:

Folklorists were so mystified by the Bloody Mary polygenesis, and the common element of using a mirror to conjure her, that they consulted medical literature for clues. Bill Ellis, a folklorist and professor of American studies at Penn State University, puzzled over a 1968 Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease article describing an experiment testing the theory that schizophrenics are prone to see hallucinations in reflected surfaces. The research showed that the control group of nonpsychotic people reported seeing vague, horrible faces in a mirror after staring at it for twenty minutes in a dim room. But that optical trick the brain plays was merely a partial explanation for the children's legend.

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/myths-over-miami.57358/

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It's a bit limiting, though, when you think about it, the Bloody Mary thing. Relying on someone staring in a mirror and then saying your name three times is going to restrict your opportunities to manifest, and then a reputation for tearing out the eyes of the one who says it is going to limit it even further.

If I'm ever trapped in a mirror, I'm going to make sure I can be released by someone staring at the bathroom tiles and saying 'look at the state of these - now, where did I leave the Flash?'

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
Two quick questions:

1. Which Mary does the Bloody Mary ritual refer to? It's Mary Tudor, right?

2. Are there other names for this legend in different countries (apart from Bloody mary and Mary Worth)?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Some versions of the Bloody Mary exercise (especially those labeled "Mary Worth") provide a back story to prime the participants. All versions of the back story I've ever heard or read involve an anonymous past female with a tragic life situation. For example, I've usually heard the Mary Worth variant described as horribly disfigured.

I don't recall ever hearing any of these back story characters cited by personal name except for "Mary Worth." Beyond this, I'm confident I've never heard or read any alleged connection between the Bloody Mary figure and any particular historical figure.

Perhaps it's different in the UK?

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
Interestingly, mirrors have been used for a long time for magical ends. Most recently a magical group known as the Order of Astarte used a mixture of mirrors and hypnotism to 'evoke demons' (which they see as aspects of our unconscious minds). If I remember correctly there is a practice in India which involves using two candles on either side of a mirror and staring at your face to see your past incarnations. Then of course there's the "Bloody Mary" game.

Yrs.,
D.S.Sh.
It does have a very old use in magic; from the Aztecs and Maya, to Dee to these folks who still try to evoke spirits in mirrors. Mind starts to play tricks, some would claim that's part of the magic..
https://percolate.blogtalkradio.com/the-hermetic-hour/52

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I did all that Lords Prayer backwards at midnight malarkey when I was quite young. Saw nothing, no Satan, no Beelzebub and not a sip of a Bloody Mary.

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I recited "Mary Witchworth" a few times in a few tween bathroom slumber parties. Nothing happened except squeals because the bathroom was dark.
What I wonder about is nomenclature. "Mary Witchworth " seems good and scary, but I only heard it in my city. When I read Urban Legends, the name is usually Bloody Mary.
But the silliest version. and it's not uncommon, is that the name "Mary Worth" to summon an apparition. She's a comic busy body.

Little_grey_lady

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Some versions of the Bloody Mary exercise (especially those labeled "Mary Worth") provide a back story to prime the participants. All versions of the back story I've ever heard or read involve an anonymous past female with a tragic life situation. For example, I've usually heard the Mary Worth variant described as horribly disfigured.

I don't recall ever hearing any of these back story characters cited by personal name except for "Mary Worth." Beyond this, I'm confident I've never heard or read any alleged connection between the Bloody Mary figure and any particular historical figure.

Perhaps it's different in the UK?
I grew up in London and my recollection is that Bloody Mary was one of the Queen Mary's. My history knowledge at the time was very wobbly and so I thought there was only one Queen Mary and that was her. Thinking of it now, I can't think how or where I came to this conclusion.

Funnily enough I was talking of the bloody Mary legend with my OH at the weekend. He grew up in the Midlands and never heard of it. It made me realise that whilst it was a mainstay of my London days, the school I went to in the Midlands when we moved had different legends. So I wonder if it's a London thing?

Not sure if I ever posted this story or not before, but I remember clearly playing it in the glass door ways at school. My school was an old Victorian school with lots of buildings on site. The main school building was used by us, and the out buildings were all used as storage. One of them, the largest, had two big panes of glass in the door and meant we could peer in. We took great delight in daring one another to chant bloody Mary and told tales of the headless queen who would be seen to wander the rooms once she had been summoned. One day, when one of my frightened friends had completed the dare, we realised that there was someone moving in the room towards the door. The terror was too much and we ran screaming away.

Turns out it was the caretaker, a grumpy old man in a thick winter coat, as far from the legend as possible. But we didn't play the game after that.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Two quick questions:

1. Which Mary does the Bloody Mary ritual refer to? It's Mary Tudor, right?

2. Are there other names for this legend in different countries (apart from Bloody mary and Mary Worth)?
I think it refers to the mixture of vodka and tomato juice