Mind power - what do people think about this?

rasputin

Devoted Cultist
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
109
Likes
40
Points
44
#1
Now everyone has heard of the "Law of Attraction" and the big industry pumping out books about the power of beliefs, thoughts and manifestation through mind power.

But, if we disregard all the fluff and hype, is there anything more to this? Many cultures purport to use the power of the mind to achieve all sorts of things and explain coincidences, synchronicities and general paranormal phenomena. There are even some pseudo scientific practices such as NLP/hypnosis which which venture slightly into this territory.

What do people think about mind power and the idea that thoughts can literally create and manifest reality at the physical level? Has anyone had any interesting experiences with this?
 

Synchronous

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
153
Likes
6
Points
24
#2
I touched on this earlier today in a thread in elsewhere.

The concept of Tulpas - or thought forms - is intriguing.

"Magic and Mystery in Tibet" by Alexandra David-Neel gives a fascinating first-hand account of the creation of a Tulpa, although she doesn't go into specifics about how she created it.

Very simply summarized, Tibetan Buddhists believe that mankind (and other beings, for that matter) can create Tulpas either on purpose or inadvertently through mass concentration and/or belief in a concept.
 

Forests

Fresh Blood
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
5
Likes
0
Points
7
#3
Well theres a whole difference between the idea of mind over matter, which also made itself into mind-body medicine and new thought compared to the theory of thought-forms, though they may be interlinked.


The concept of Tulpas - or thought forms - is intriguing.
There is very few books published on thought forms. Though the mainone would be the book by Charles Leadbeater and Annie Besant, a Theosophy book which claims thoughts are actual things, they even did diagrams of what thoughts look like, being different sizes and colours depending on the emotions of the person.

The problem with their is book is that they claim the thought forms can not be seen by the ordinary person, indeed then they do not exist in physical reality, instead clairvoyance through extensive yoga and meditation must be attained before one can visualise the thought forms and they do not tell the methods of this practice!. According to Leadbeater and Besant the thought-forms exist in a more subtle plane of existence which only the trained occultist can percieve. AS mentioned these thought forms apparently exist on another plane of existence so they are completey undectable and unknowable to the majority of people and can never be proven by science.

I don't want to seem criticial but as very few books on the topic have ever been published, infact most occultists have not even touched on this area that shows how unknown the topic is, then I think it's safe to concede it probably doesn't exist. If thoughts were physical things and were actual entities existing outside of the mind then we should be able to detect them on scientific instruments. The idea that they exist in another dimension just seems stupid.

What do people think about mind power and the idea that thoughts can literally create and manifest reality at the physical level?
Alot of this stuff is just a new age cash in. One of the first books on the topic was thoughts are things by prentice mulford, he claimed thoughts were vibrations and currents, he claimed that if a man thought about disease all day then that would manifest on his body. This type of book influenced the new thought movement. The problem with the new thought movement is that it has some wacky claims one early new thought writer wrote for example wrote that she knew a women who killed a man by just thinking bad things about him and she also claimed that if a person has even just one bad thought then that will materialise in their life.

One thing should be mentioned about the new thought movement many of its proponents have died young, indeed new thought advocates spend most of their life thinking, some of them think for hours before their day starts then believe that by positive visualising then that will then externalise itself into their life physically. A funny book on the topic was called the science of getting rich its author wallace wattles claimed you had to train the subconscious mind with creative visualization of getting money and then it will make you rich as the visual images will work their way in external reality. wallace wattles died at age 51 sadly, do you think its becuase he visualised his own death so much at that age and it happened?? no.

lol... its becuase he ate no breakfast and advocated 1 meal a day of meat. the man was not healthy.

the thinking stuff is pure nonsense that somehow mental images and externalise themselves into physical reality. there is some truth in positive thinking even medicine has confirmed that its psychological. but by thinking about some money or a plate of egg and chips won't externalise themselves into your life ... theres no evidence that thoughts can create physical objects., if you want good health thinking less is actually better. experience life as it is, thinking cuts one off from the real world. the new age folk are wrong about nearly everything they would make up anything to sell a buck to the gullible mind.lol
 

Synchronous

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
153
Likes
6
Points
24
#4
Forests said:
There is very few books published on thought forms. Though the mainone would be the book by Charles Leadbeater and Annie Besant, a Theosophy book which claims thoughts are actual things, they even did diagrams of what thoughts look like, being different sizes and colours depending on the emotions of the person.

The problem with their is book is that they claim the thought forms can not be seen by the ordinary person, indeed then they do not exist in physical reality, instead clairvoyance through extensive yoga and meditation must be attained before one can visualise the thought forms and they do not tell the methods of this practice!. According to Leadbeater and Besant the thought-forms exist in a more subtle plane of existence which only the trained occultist can percieve. AS mentioned these thought forms apparently exist on another plane of existence so they are completey undectable and unknowable to the majority of people and can never be proven by science.
Yes, I have the Leadbeater/Besant tome and I agree that it's a rather slanted and presumptuous read.

Forests said:
...I think it's safe to concede it probably doesn't exist. If thoughts were physical things and were actual entities existing outside of the mind then we should be able to detect them on scientific instruments. The idea that they exist in another dimension just seems stupid.
A few hundred years ago, the idea that the earth was a sphere seemed 'stupid' to most ;)

John Keel hit on the possibility that some aspects of the UFO phenomenon displayed characteristics which could be accounted for by Tulpas in the Mothman Prophesies.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily a common phenomenon (certain conditions may need to be in place before a Tulpa can be created, for example), but I think it would be premature and possibly a little arrogant to dismiss the whole concept out of hand, given the amount of (admittedly circumstantial) evidence that exists - not to mention the folks in Tibet who claim that they can produce them. An interesting avenue of investigation, perhaps?
 

rasputin

Devoted Cultist
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
109
Likes
40
Points
44
#5
Are tulpas like sigils/servitors?

Yes, I am mostly referring to the new thought movement, authors like Wattles, Ponder, Murphy, Bristol etc and it's modern offshoot into creative visualisation, law of attraction, the secret, cosmic ordering etc.
 

Synchronous

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
153
Likes
6
Points
24
#7
rasputin said:
Are tulpas like sigils/servitors?

Yes, I am mostly referring to the new thought movement, authors like Wattles, Ponder, Murphy, Bristol etc and it's modern offshoot into creative visualisation, law of attraction, the secret, cosmic ordering etc.
Not quite.

Some Tulpa are allegedly capable of independent thought. The Tibetans maintain that they can be created either accidentally or by design. Those made by design can be designed to carry out a particular function, can apparently rebel against their makers on occasion, sometimes change their own form and function, and can take some time to be 'dispelled'.

M&MIT is really an interesting peek into the subject:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AaC4 ... edir_esc=y
 

Forests

Fresh Blood
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
5
Likes
0
Points
7
#8
You would need some scientific evidence Synchronous do you know of any parapsychologists who have written anything on tulpas or done experiments? Would be interesting to see if any papers/journals have been published on this. I can not find any. Though one paranormal researcher seems to have concluded much paranormal is caused by tulpas or thoughtforms, check out The Haunted Universe by scott rogo.

Breaking through the inhibitions of the field of parapsychology, D. Scott Rogo explores the possibility and examines the evidence that we are actually populating our universe with psychic creations-beings, objects, and other phenomena--that have taken on a physical reality and are now haunting our planet. "At first glance one could dismiss this book as ingenuous, but in fact it is both well-considered and brave. It is a rational discussion of phenomena which, if true, would be considered parapsychological, but which even parapsychologists tend to reject out of hand, even as their critics dismiss phenomena parapsychologists consider legitimate. Rogo treats such taboo topics as teleportation, religious miracles (weeping and bleeding statues, materializations, mysterious lights and apparitions associated with religious figures), psychic phenomena associated with UFOs, the reality of evil, and types of "Forteana" likely to have a psi explanation." - Exceptional Human Experience Network
 

Synchronous

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
153
Likes
6
Points
24
#9
Forests said:
You would need some scientific evidence Synchronous do you know of any parapsychologists who have written anything on tulpas or done experiments?...
No, unfortunately.

Forests said:
...one paranormal researcher seems to have concluded much paranormal is caused by tulpas or thoughtforms, check out The Haunted Universe by scott rogo.
Sounds interesting, thanks for the heads up :)
 

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
4,758
Likes
3,157
Points
184
Location
Scandinavia
#10
rasputin said:
Now everyone has heard of the "Law of Attraction" and the big industry pumping out books about the power of beliefs, thoughts and manifestation through mind power.

But, if we disregard all the fluff and hype, is there anything more to this? Many cultures purport to use the power of the mind to achieve all sorts of things and explain coincidences, synchronicities and general paranormal phenomena. There are even some pseudo scientific practices such as NLP/hypnosis which which venture slightly into this territory.

What do people think about mind power and the idea that thoughts can literally create and manifest reality at the physical level? Has anyone had any interesting experiences with this?
I think there's something going for Law of attraction and The Secret, but there's limits to its powers.

You may program your mind to want to become a millionaire, but that doesn't make the money suddenly appear. You will still need to work in some way to earn the money.
I don't think wishing hard to win the lottery will help you much. Who doesn't wish to win the lottery among those who buy tickets? The competition is too hard and luck is your only hope.
 

Synchronous

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
153
Likes
6
Points
24
#11
Forests said:
..Though one paranormal researcher seems to have concluded much paranormal is caused by tulpas or thoughtforms, check out The Haunted Universe by scott rogo...
Just finished reading this - obtained a copy after you mentioned it. A very, VERY interesting read.
 

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
3,080
Likes
5,474
Points
219
Location
Tejas
#12
Regarding the law of attraction and "vision boards" or "treasure mapping" or whatever you'd like to call it, something a little weird came to my attention recently.

Now, personally, I tend to think the effect is primarily psychological rather than metaphysical (though I would prefer the latter - for one thing it's easier! :lol:)
But who knows...

The circumstances of my life in the last year have been challenging, to say the least. When I moved in to look after my elderly mother, the walls in my room were blank, so I printed out several pictures just to have something to look at. They were mostly pictures from fairy tales or illustrations from favorite books. They were all things I found attractive, though the subject matter was not necessarily pleasant. Then I went on about my business.

A few weeks ago, I'm looking around at these pictures and see that they eerily reflect things that have actually come to pass since I hung them up, or at the least are accurate metaphors. It was shocking. Some of these things could be put down to the influences of mood and associated behaviors, yes, but others were things entirely out of my control.

For example, one was a drawing of trees in a windstorm. At the time, I never imagined the constant struggle I'd face dealing with damage from frequent windstorms, uprooted trees and so on. The same with the drawing of the rain and flooded streets (been trapped here by floods several times). Luckily, the picture of Little Red Riding Hood being stalked by the wolf is less literal because there are no wolves here...but I end up being stalked by coyotes instead! The list goes on and on.

Anyway, I decided to take down these pictures, just on the chance they were having some sort of effect and replaced them with nice pictures of rose-covered cottages, romantic Paris streets and tropical beaches. Might as well be on the safe side, eh? :)
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
26,575
Likes
10,881
Points
284
#13
Could it be that events were heading in a direction that you subconsciously recognised, so you made "self-fulfilling prophecies" of a sort? Fascinating to think that could be possible, but it would be better if you noticed them before they happened. More useful, anyway.
 

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
3,080
Likes
5,474
Points
219
Location
Tejas
#14
gncxx said:
Could it be that events were heading in a direction that you subconsciously recognised, so you made "self-fulfilling prophecies" of a sort? Fascinating to think that could be possible, but it would be better if you noticed them before they happened. More useful, anyway.
Indeed, it could be, perhaps from some part of the unconscious where intuition springs from (which to me is just about as fascinating). I've tried to get better at predicting these things over the years, not always with success.

But then again, the craziest thing happened this morning!

Get this:
In my post above I mentioned putting up pictures of tropical beaches. Well, this morning comes a very unexpected phone call from an old boyfriend. We'd lost touch about 20 years ago, there's been no sign of him since then. Well, it turns out he's been holed up on the shore of Oahu, Hawaii all this time.

What's more, he said he'd been trying to locate me for years, because he was still in love with me and wanted me to run off to the islands with him.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
This would probably be an unwise thing to do even if I were on my own, but, you know, I have a family. So I told him he'd left it a bit late, he should have asked 20 years ago! :roll:

But it seemed so strange....like the way a genie in a fairy tale makes wishes come true but somehow turn out a little bit wrong. Like, here's your opportunity to go to a tropical island - but you'd have to leave your family to do it. So it ends up a no go after all...
But then again, it at least makes one realize that such possibilities of change are there, no matter how bizarre or unlikely they may be - there are ways and ways of changing your situation if you think hard enough.

One of the pictures I'd put up may be a beach at Oahu, though I can't be sure. It would be too weird if it was. I'd had no idea this guy was there.

Well, I'm interested to see what surprises the "rose-covered cottages" and "romantic streets of Paris" are going to turn up!
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
26,575
Likes
10,881
Points
284
#15
I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to think this bloke thinking of you all that time made you pick up on something in the air from thousands (?) of miles away? Or is it? I wonder how he found you again anyway? I think I'd be a bit alarmed if that happened to me.
 

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
3,080
Likes
5,474
Points
219
Location
Tejas
#16
gncxx said:
I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to think this bloke thinking of you all that time made you pick up on something in the air from thousands (?) of miles away? Or is it? I wonder how he found you again anyway? I think I'd be a bit alarmed if that happened to me.
Hmm. I don't know, he had seemed to disappear from the face of the Earth so completely that I honestly thought he might be dead! it's a stretch but of course, always possible...

And he found me through a chatty relative on Facebook. So much for keeping a low profile. :hmm:

I have a theory about these happenings, but it's totally mad. Let's just pretend it's possible that there is some mysterious force out in the ether that makes our thoughts into things. What if it just uses the quickest link between the two to try to manifest it?

For example, I have no other link to any tropical island (and until yesterday wasn't aware of any at all) but because I'd been focusing on such a place as somewhere I'd rather be, the mysterious force runs through its files and finds that the one place there is a link between me and any tropical island is my old beau (who was once very dear to me, after all) and so *bam* there you are. Doesn't matter if it was really workable, just that it was the quickest link. Perhaps you are given the link and what you do with it is up to you after that...

Could be the same with the Red Riding Hood pictures and my experience with the coyotes in the woods. If every day I see this picture of a girl stalked by a wolf, and if I identify somewhat with Red Riding Hood (which I probably do, on some level) the quickest link between me and the picture in a region without wolves is a coyote. As well the windstorms would be the quickest way to create a reality that looks like that of the windblown trees picture on my wall - except reality is not so nice as the picture. Sounds mad, doesn't it, though if there were such a mysterious force out in the ether, for it to create winds or floods might be the easiest part of it. Certainly easier than arranging to give me a heap of money I hadn't earned, or something like that. :lol:

But who knows. I've never heard of any theory like this, and when I tried to search out these kind of things online, just about every site on the subject made my stomach churn. Ugh. But something about it feels right to me.
There's no harm in putting nice pictures on the wall, anyway.
:)
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
26,575
Likes
10,881
Points
284
#17
That's a really good theory, you could write a paper on that or something. Dunno how you'd explain it more than something in the air (or the fabric of the universe). It reminds me of an article in one of the old Fortean Studies volumes about a theory called seriality which could explain all sorts of coincidences and events, but I'd have to read it again to get the details right. There might be something online.
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
26,575
Likes
10,881
Points
284
#18
Had a quick look: seems there's another thing called seriality about group dynamics connected to gender studies. That's not what I had read about, but I can't find the theory I meant now.
 

rasputin

Devoted Cultist
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
109
Likes
40
Points
44
#19
Bunny, not quite your theory but the New Thought author Neville Goddard says in most of his books that the method by which your thoughts manifest physical reality is the weird state between wakefulness/sleep (alpha state) and it is here that you program the mind. If the photos on your wall are the last thing you see/think about at night before sleep, you are taking them into the world of sleep where they speak directly to your subconscious mind (since the conscious mind is asleep). Perhaps your subconscious mind is what brings about these synchronicities in your life?
 
Top