• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I loved that stuff- i dislocated my shoulder and after a lot of twisting and tweaking they gave me a high dosage of this and a week off .I was so relaxed, No 2 son ask for £2 for bus fare and I would give him a tenner., no 1 was after some lunch money no worries, here £20... smiling in a slightly scary way apparently.
Are you still on it per chance?

Yes it is a touch unnerving if you live in a noisy area to find that everything has gone silent. It's happened to me on occasions. It's particularly weird when driving on a normally busy road to see no other cars going in either direction.

I made the mistake of driving into Manchester city centre a couple of months ago, to find the road network changed so much from when I worked there decades ago, that it was unrecognizable and completely jammed with traffic. Came to a large normal appearing traffic light 4 way junction and went straight across to suddenly realise there was no traffic at all. Silent and weird. Went about 100yards before realising it was a bus/delivery vans only road in both directions. I fully expected an £80 fine in the post, but to date I seem to have escaped.
Did you escape the fine?

My Dad who is pretty much the most straight laced anti drugs person you'll ever meet was prescribed Tramadol for bad back.

He was lying on the couch watching his hands, as he slowly moved them back and forth, saying everything is just so abstract over and over again.

10/10 recommended, would watch again.

My Dad who is pretty much the most straight laced anti drugs person you'll ever meet was prescribed Tramadol for bad back.

He was lying on the couch watching his hands, as he slowly moved them back and forth, saying everything is just so abstract over and over again.

10/10 recommended, would watch again.
Oh my god - Tramadol. I still remember that one day, after being prescribed it and taken a dose, in the height of summer, shaking uncontrollably and freezing to death with the gas fire and central heating on full blast. Never touched the stuff since.

When my wife poured out potato chips on a plate, there was a large chip in the shape of a perfect heart just setting there looking at us.

I wasn’t maybe heart shaped, but a perfect heart.

It is being saved in a box.
POIDH

HeartShapedCrisp.jpg
:rofl:

maximus otter

Watched a prog last eve about the Doors 5th album Morrison Hotel. Quite often when watching the idiot box I'll put the subtitles on, not because I'm deaf, but because the volume goes up and down all the time, especially when the adverts come on, but even in the prog itself and it's a pain to have to keep altering the volume up/down every 30 seconds, so I have it on low. Also it's handy for knowing what the lyrics are in some songs. They're usually accurate, but last night there were lots of mistakes. For eg when someone said 'Harmonica' the titles said 'our monitor'. Is this just a slip by the person who was 'translating' or is it all done by computers now I wonder?

Watched a prog last eve about the Doors 5th album Morrison Hotel. Quite often when watching the idiot box I'll put the subtitles on, not because I'm deaf, but because the volume goes up and down all the time, especially when the adverts come on, but even in the prog itself and it's a pain to have to keep altering the volume up/down every 30 seconds, so I have it on low. Also it's handy for knowing what the lyrics are in some songs. They're usually accurate, but last night there were lots of mistakes. For eg when someone said 'Harmonica' the titles said 'our monitor'. Is this just a slip by the person who was 'translating' or is it all done by computers now I wonder?
Ms PeteS keeps suggesting that I'm going deaf ( Ok I am a bit, but no way I'm going to admit it, so don't tell her), but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to adjust the volume on the telly all the time.

Ms PeteS keeps suggesting that I'm going deaf ( Ok I am a bit, but no way I'm going to admit it, so don't tell her), but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to adjust the volume on the telly all the time.
Whether it's our tv or not I don't know, but apart from the volume up and down thing, I've also noticed that on some progs even if the volume is turned up high I cannot hear what they're saying properly. This isn't a going deaf thing though (as daft as that sounds) because my hearing is actually good, and it's loud enough to hear, but 'muffled'. I think it seems to happen more on the older stuff, not on the films so much (most of the 30s/40s ones are very clear), but things like Rumpole and on some of the more obscure channels, so I don't think it's a fault of the actual tv itself, but the programme.

It was another door last night. I went into the bathroom and the door to the immersion tank was open. Just a little, because a shelving unit stops it opening further. It does have a catch, but it's another one of these 'mostly held shut by friction' because the door is only a tiny bit smaller than the hole. This one is made of board and not very substantial.

However, I think this may have been caused by the fact I've got the hatch open to the roofspace outside the bathroom and it was very windy yesterday. There's no noticeable draught coming in from the roof, which seems to be fairly sound but can't be because water pours in through the ceiling when there's torrential rain (which may be because the pitch of the roof is too shallow, but I've got the hatch off to keep an eye on things) but there could still be a change in air pressure.

I'm now keeping an eye on THREE separate 'randomly opening/closing' things....

I think a lot of programmes are subtitled by computer now, leading to a lot of errors in subtitles. I prefer to think that, rather than that a human transliterator couldn't understand what they were hearing, or couldn't be bothered.

It was another door last night. I went into the bathroom and the door to the immersion tank was open. Just a little, because a shelving unit stops it opening further. It does have a catch, but it's another one of these 'mostly held shut by friction' because the door is only a tiny bit smaller than the hole. This one is made of board and not very substantial.

However, I think this may have been caused by the fact I've got the hatch open to the roofspace outside the bathroom and it was very windy yesterday. There's no noticeable draught coming in from the roof, which seems to be fairly sound but can't be because water pours in through the ceiling when there's torrential rain (which may be because the pitch of the roof is too shallow, but I've got the hatch off to keep an eye on things) but there could still be a change in air pressure.

Yes, I would think (hope) that in this case it was the hatch causing it. I don't think we can handle any more mysteries at your pad!

I wish I lived closer as leaking roofs (of the slate or tile variety) are usually very easy and cheap to fix.
You may even be able to do a temporary job from the inside if you can ascertain where the leak is (not always easy with water).
The inlaws had a leaking chimney recently and all I could see was a one inch vertical mortar joint where the mortar had fallen out. I filled it, not expecting for one minute that that was the cause (I would have sworn it would be the lead flashing around the base of the chimney- it usually is), but amazingly it did cure it. So an egg-cup full of mortar was all it took. I wonder how much a roofer would have charged them?

Got a slate overhanging the roof myself now. Will borrow a ladder from a neighbour. It will be similar to John Noakes climbing Nelson's column.

Got a slate overhanging the roof myself now. Will borrow a ladder from a neighbour. It will be similar to John Noakes climbing Nelson's column.
Possibly a rope may be in order...

Strange Noises Part 3: the Scratching.

Seem to be collecting the poltergeist set, here. :litg:

Except, in this instance, the explanation is pretty obvious: something, most likely a rat, because what else could it really be, found its way into the space between ground floor ceiling and first floor...er...floor, and was noisily rummaging. The obvious question is how it found its way there, and could it even have reached that particular area? Considering that, a while back, I saw something that was most likely a rat stretching out from under a tile at the edge of our roof to drink from the guttering, chances are they could. Will need to converse with the household member who knows more about the building's structure to find out for sure.

The amusing coincidence is that, as you probably guessed, it was exactly the same place and nearly the same time as the last sound I heard, which makes me wonder if the rat somehow caused that one, too. Of course, if a high-pitched voice starts swearing from the walls, I may have to reconsider my theories...

Back