• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Was idly thinking today of people I quite fancy in a fairly disinterested kind of way, and I thought of Tom Hiddleston (sorry @Floyd1 you weren't on the list this time round, must try harder). I've not heard much about him lately, (Tom Hiddleston, not Floyd) so I popped over to Wiki just to make sure he hadn't died or anything.

Only to find that today is his birthday. Happy birthday, Tom.
I was pleased to discover that the luscious Damien Lewis was born on exactly the same day as my best friend at school.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen when a tray moved and smashed a glass on the tiles.
At that moment my mobile rang and I thought I would leave it to clean up the glass first.
When I went to the phone it was from my cousin's wife and when I rang she said my cousin had a haematoma on the left lobe, probably from one of the falls he's had lately and has to have an operation on Monday.
He had come to visit last week while I had a friend here and I thought some of the things he said were not right.
His wife said he's been like that lately and he got lost coming to see me although it's only a couple of streets away.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen when a tray moved and smashed a glass on the tiles.
At that moment my mobile rang and I thought I would leave it to clean up the glass first.
When I went to the phone it was from my cousin's wife and when I rang she said my cousin had a haematoma on the left lobe, probably from one of the falls he's had lately and has to have an operation on Monday.
He had come to visit last week while I had a friend here and I thought some of the things he said were not right.
His wife said he's been like that lately and he got lost coming to see me although it's only a couple of streets away.
Not to be really negative about this, but falls and loss of memory and becoming lost in a familiar place can all be symptoms of onset of dementia. Hopefully your cousin is ok.

Was idly thinking today of people I quite fancy in a fairly disinterested kind of way, and I thought of Tom Hiddleston (sorry @Floyd1 you weren't on the list this time round, must try harder). I've not heard much about him lately, (Tom Hiddleston, not Floyd) so I popped over to Wiki just to make sure he hadn't died or anything.

Only to find that today is his birthday. Happy birthday, Tom.
Small willy apparently.

I had a minor odd experience the other day. I was sat on my bed putting moisturiser on my face with one of those circular cotton wool pads. I put it down on the bed momentarily to do something, then when I turned back it was gone. There were a few things on the bed and I got a bit confused thinking ah maybe it's under something, so I stood up and looked under everything, but could not find it. This went on for a couple of minutes until I gave up, sat down and thought oh well I'll have to get another one. As you're probably expecting, I looked back and poof it was there! I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw it right in front of me, as I'd been so methodical, even running my hands over the sheets...

I had a minor odd experience the other day. I was sat on my bed putting moisturiser on my face with one of those circular cotton wool pads. I put it down on the bed momentarily to do something, then when I turned back it was gone. There were a few things on the bed and I got a bit confused thinking ah maybe it's under something, so I stood up and looked under everything, but could not find it. This went on for a couple of minutes until I gave up, sat down and thought oh well I'll have to get another one. As you're probably expecting, I looked back and poof it was there! I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw it right in front of me, as I'd been so methodical, even running my hands over the sheets...
I think sometimes our brains just 'short out' when we are urgently looking for something. So we 'see' it, but somehow our brains just don't process it, so it become invisible.

Having a friend who is suffering eye issues at the moment, I've been made much more aware of how much of sight is actually done by the brain rather than the eyes!

I think sometimes our brains just 'short out' when we are urgently looking for something. So we 'see' it, but somehow our brains just don't process it, so it become invisible.

Having a friend who is suffering eye issues at the moment, I've been made much more aware of how much of sight is actually done by the brain rather than the eyes!
And yet... sometimes objects really do disappear, and some of them come back, minutes, hours, days or even months later, to the same place they were last seen - or to some ridiculously improbable place that no-one has been to in the intervening time.

And yet... sometimes objects really do disappear, and some of them come back, minutes, hours, days or even months later, to the same place they were last seen - or to some ridiculously improbable place that no-one has been to in the intervening time.
Oh undoubtedly there are strange happenings too! But sometimes, when the thing lost vanishes for a few minutes only to turn up back in the same place it was lost - I think that one's down to brain blindness.

I've reported on here before about how I physically CANNOT see something if it isn't the shape or colour I expect. I am acutely unable to see a sink plunger if it is lying on its side, and the amount of time I spent hunting through a cupboard for a pair of scissors that had an orange handle (when the scissors, in fact, had a blue handle and were right in front of me) doesn't bear thinking about.

Oh undoubtedly there are strange happenings too! But sometimes, when the thing lost vanishes for a few minutes only to turn up back in the same place it was lost - I think that one's down to brain blindness.

I've reported on here before about how I physically CANNOT see something if it isn't the shape or colour I expect. I am acutely unable to see a sink plunger if it is lying on its side, and the amount of time I spent hunting through a cupboard for a pair of scissors that had an orange handle (when the scissors, in fact, had a blue handle and were right in front of me) doesn't bear thinking about.
I once lost a screwdriver when doing some diy. Couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually it turned up- under the dog.

Vital haberdashery goes missing here. Can't blame anyone but myself although I do try hard not to be careless, especially with the sharper/stabbier items.

I've taken to ordering seam rippers in bulk from Amazon. The seller must think I've opened my own shop. :rolleyes:

Here's what I normally buy -

KINGMAS 8 Pieces Colorful Seam Ripper 4 Big and 4 Small Handy Stitch Ripper Sewing Tools with 1 Scissors for Opening Seams and Hems
They are brightly-coloured and come packed in a line in plastic, the size of a large postcard. Shouldn't be hard to miss, but I do. :dunno:

Must be on at least my third set of those.

Vital haberdashery goes missing here. Can't blame anyone but myself although I do try hard not to be careless, especially with the sharper/stabbier items.

I've taken to ordering seam rippers in bulk from Amazon. The seller must think I've opened my own shop. :rolleyes:

Here's what I normally buy -

They are brightly-coloured and come packed in a line in plastic, the size of a large postcard. Shouldn't be hard to miss, but I do. :dunno:

Must be on at least my third set of those.
While I was working in the school we had to cover text books in sticky backed plastic when they first arrived. It was a training day, so no kids in, and my colleagues and myself were sitting together in a classroom with a roll of plastic, a ruler and a pair of scissors each.

Just the three of us, cutting and sticking and chatting whilst drinking coffee.

And I lost my ruler. All three of us searched for that ruler everywhere. I'd not moved from the table, I'd just cut and stuck and drunk coffee. And that ruler was gone. I half expected it to turn up during the term sealed inside the sticky plastic cover of one of the books but, no. It never did.

I had a thought today whilst getting dressed after my shower.

At first I put my shirt on inside out. As I was altering the situation, I remembered my mother's superstition that if you put on an item inside out you had to wear it that way for the whole day, or it was bad luck. Then I thought about the belief that, if you are pixie-led you can find your way back by turning an item of clothing inside out, because it confuses the fairies.

Then I wondered whether it was something to do with slipping between universes. The 'you' that is wearing something inside out isn't the 'you' that started out, because, by turning your clothing you've altered your timeline or slid into another universe. Therefore, if you start the day wearing something inside out you have to continue because otherwise you 'split the timeline'. And that by turning an article of clothing inside out if you get lost and believe you've been led astray by the fairies, you send the other you off to be lost, whilst 'you' change timelines to one where you find your way.

I know, I know. I've got to stop sniffing the talc...

I had a thought today whilst getting dressed after my shower.

At first I put my shirt on inside out. As I was altering the situation, I remembered my mother's superstition that if you put on an item inside out you had to wear it that way for the whole day, or it was bad luck. Then I thought about the belief that, if you are pixie-led you can find your way back by turning an item of clothing inside out, because it confuses the fairies.

Then I wondered whether it was something to do with slipping between universes. The 'you' that is wearing something inside out isn't the 'you' that started out, because, by turning your clothing you've altered your timeline or slid into another universe. Therefore, if you start the day wearing something inside out you have to continue because otherwise you 'split the timeline'. And that by turning an article of clothing inside out if you get lost and believe you've been led astray by the fairies, you send the other you off to be lost, whilst 'you' change timelines to one where you find your way.

I know, I know. I've got to stop sniffing the talc...
So what does it mean if you pull on a polo shirt back to front?
(asking for a friend :cool: )

I got to 7 then was distracted by the guy in the gorilla costume and lost count (mind you, I was expecting something odd and had greater awareness of the whole screen).
I admit that my powers of observation are a bit crap. Although, at least I got the count right (I did think I'd missed one out of the corner of my eye).
To be fair though, I am sober, and that always makes me a bit groggy.

While I was working in the school we had to cover text books in sticky backed plastic when they first arrived. It was a training day, so no kids in, and my colleagues and myself were sitting together in a classroom with a roll of plastic, a ruler and a pair of scissors each.

Just the three of us, cutting and sticking and chatting whilst drinking coffee.

And I lost my ruler. All three of us searched for that ruler everywhere. I'd not moved from the table, I'd just cut and stuck and drunk coffee. And that ruler was gone. I half expected it to turn up during the term sealed inside the sticky plastic cover of one of the books but, no. It never did.
Did it have the old style desks with the lids?

if you put on an item inside out you had to wear it that way for the whole day, or it was bad luck.
Wait....what about.....
1676040867234.png

Yeah I can definitely do that at times, which is why I meticulously ran my hands over the sheets, almost as if I was visually impaired. :dunno:

Happens to me but not all the time, however I did once lose a public toilet block due to ,'brain blindness'.

I'd been living in Wales for a while and being flush with my B and B earnings had gone up to Birmingham to visit an exhibition. Bursting for the loo and not liking to use the ones on the train I rushed onto the concourse as soon as we got to New Street. I could see the loo I knew it was there somewhere but where exactly?

Half of my brain was saying 'it's here' and the other half was saying 'but where?' Hopping on one leg turning round in circles I just couldn't locate it.

In time I spotted it (no embarrassing accidents thank goodness).

I'd been been desperately searching for the sign 'MERCHED' not the one saying 'LADIES' (after living in Wales for less than a year duh').

(I started typing this at about 12:22 but wandered off to do something. It's now 15:50.)

Just now I was on my sofa posting on'ere and checking email, when I suddenly caught a really strong whiff of smoke. It was exactly like a pan of badly-burned food.

I was cooking earlier so thought I must have left something on. Leapt up as if electrocuted, rushed into the kitchen - nothing.
The burning smell lingered for about another two minutes.
Nothing is on fire and there's no smoke. We have smoke alarms anyway which didn't go off.

When Techy came in he couldn't smell smoke.

When I went for my early stroll a couple of days ago I could suddenly smell something fishy as though someone was having a kipper for breakfast. I arrived at the beach and could still smell it and somebody else commented on it. We couldn't decide where it was coming from and shortly afterwards it had gone.
Occasionally there's a smell of seaweed washed up but this was different.

I've mentioned before that every winter for a handful of years a Red Admiral butterfly would suddenly appear in the kitchen at mine. Not seen one for at least a couple of years but today found one clinging to the wall on the landing (just outside the room where all the weird events seem to occur). I carefully scooped it up and tried to put it on the plant in the kitchen where the others have appeared. It was very reluctant to get off my finger and clung on, possibly due to the heat in my hand, but I eventually managed to cajole it onto the plant. I've no idea where they come from and why suddenly they appear, seemingly out of nowhere. The weather is freezing where I am so I didn't want to put it outside. Should I have done? There are plenty of sheltered hidey holes in my back garden.

Back