• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I sometimes find my printer control panel lit up when I haven't even switched on my laptop.
The printer is connected to the router with an ethernet cable so it's probably some sort of spurious signal.
It might be doing a cyclical warm-up and self-check routine.
Does it have wi-fi enabled? Maybe a neighbour tried to connect by accident.

Just recently I noticed the number 7 key on my numeric keypad was missing.

This was strange as the keyboard never leaves the desk it is on and to unplug it from my PC I would have to crouch under my desk to get to the back of it.

A couple of days ago I we picking something off my bed when I trod on something sharp under the bed, it was the missing 7 key.

No one else has been in my house in all this time.

How it left they keyboard or ended up 6 feet away I don't know.
Some (or maybe most) keyboards are made with the keys wedged into a hole, with the bottom touching a rubber pad. It may have worked loose and then been launched by the spring, whereupon it became attached to your clothing.
Certain keyboards have the keys barely attached. Years ago at a previous workplace, I dropped one of these (Compaq) on the floor and quite a few of the keys just flew off. I had to pop them all back into place.

Not strictly Fortean as there is an obvious rational explanation, but this was weird at the time it was happening.

I was walking from work to my car yesterday evening. It was dark. I was crossing the River Trent (Nottingham, UK) and to my right, a couple of hundred metres away, was the City Ground (stadium of Nottingham Forest Football Club) which was lit up, although there was not a match on.

Quite high above the stadium, I suddenly noticed about 15 or 20 glowing/flickering amber objects all moving in the same direction, across my field of view and away from me.

My first thought was that they were Chinese paper lanterns. However, I know these are now actively discouraged, and also, there was something odd about the way they were moving. They seemed to be moving at slightly different speeds from each other and each one was pulsing regularly. Then my eyes resolved the shapes into flapping birds made of fire.

It only took a few seconds to work it out, but before I did, it was quite eerie. It was white gulls ("seagulls") flying in a group, and they were reflecting the orange light from inside the stadium below them, and the flickering effect may have been increased by reflections of other orange lights from the surface of the river, which is in semi-flood at the moment.

Seconds later, the birds had flown out of the cone of light from the stadium, and the moment had passed.

Even more minor strangeness

I've had this clock for over 30 years (graduation present) and the thing directly under the clock face is supposed to spin, but stopped years ago (bearing wore, probably.)

IMG_1254.jpg

I was sitting down to watch TV when I saw a weird reflection and realized the spinny thing had inexplicably started spinning again. Last time I touched the clock was last Sunday to move the clock forward. Gave the spinny thing a spin and it stopped after a few spins. Days later, it started again on its own? I wonder if this counts with my weird time synchronicities last week?

Even more minor strangeness

I've had this clock for over 30 years (graduation present) and the thing directly under the clock face is supposed to spin, but stopped years ago (bearing wore, probably.)

View attachment 71196

I was sitting down to watch TV when I saw a weird reflection and realized the spinny thing had inexplicably started spinning again. Last time I touched the clock was last Sunday to move the clock forward. Gave the spinny thing a spin and it stopped after a few spins. Days later, it started again on its own? I wonder if this counts with my weird time synchronicities last week?
Have you checked to see if it's on a level surface? Obvious, I know...

On Wednesday I got a COVID booster jab, and got the most awful side effects that I have had from a vaccine (and I've had plenty). I was knocked out of action for most of the following day, but had to clean my church, which I did yesterday evening, taking my time because I was knackered. I finished up at about 10.20pm, turned off most of the lights, and because I was so physically tired, I sat down in the darkened church and checked into the Forteana Forums on my phone. I was absorbed in the "Anyone Seen A Ghost" thread, but not spooked at all (the church is mid-19th century, so not ancient, and I've been going there for 20 years and have often been in it alone after dark, no sign of any spookiness at all). Just as I reacted with the "love it" smiley to this post:
I’m in Oxford for a couple of days, and earlier we popped in to an old pub (The Lamb and Flag) for a beer. Just as I finished my first pint I looked up from my seat into a side room opposite, and SOMETHING moved across the doorway, into a solid wall. It seemed to me to be a dog, the size of a smallish border collie, mostly white but with some tan patches. No-one I was with saw it, though I was the only one facing the doorway. I didn’t ask the staff if this is a “thing” as they were quite busy, but hope to go back tomorrow when it’s quieter. I have to say I’m psychic as a stick, so if anyone says yes, they’ve seen it too I’ll be gobsmacked…. It was just such a solid thing, I really want it to have happened to me!
Photos of the doorway to follow…
There was a strong rattle of the heavy wooden doors that separate the main body of the church from what is now the office (formerly the door to the porch and tower base), as if someone had given the doors a good hard shove, but found them barred (in fact they were barred, when I finished up, I closed the heavy latch on the doors). It gave me quite a start, I went to investigate (somewhat unnerved as I opened the doors and reached into the pitch black to fumble for the light switch, I must admit). Nothing was out of place, and there was no sign why the doors would have made such a noise. I closed up, turned off the remaining light, and cleared out pretty sharpish!

On Wednesday I got a COVID booster jab, and got the most awful side effects that I have had from a vaccine (and I've had plenty). I was knocked out of action for most of the following day, but had to clean my church, which I did yesterday evening, taking my time because I was knackered. I finished up at about 10.20pm, turned off most of the lights, and because I was so physically tired, I sat down in the darkened church and checked into the Forteana Forums on my phone. I was absorbed in the "Anyone Seen A Ghost" thread, but not spooked at all (the church is mid-19th century, so not ancient, and I've been going there for 20 years and have often been in it alone after dark, no sign of any spookiness at all). Just as I reacted with the "love it" smiley to this post:

There was a strong rattle of the heavy wooden doors that separate the main body of the church from what is now the office (formerly the door to the porch and tower base), as if someone had given the doors a good hard shove, but found them barred (in fact they were barred, when I finished up, I closed the heavy latch on the doors). It gave me quite a start, I went to investigate (somewhat unnerved as I opened the doors and reached into the pitch black to fumble for the light switch, I must admit). Nothing was out of place, and there was no sign why the doors would have made such a noise. I closed up, turned off the remaining light, and cleared out pretty sharpish!
Perhaps something was angry at the fact you'd had the audacity to look on FTMB and converse with this heathen lot whilst in a holy place.
I'm surprised you didn't burst into flames to be quite honest.

On Thursday it was hammering down with rain and I made a quick dash to the cash point at Tesco Express only to find a queue of half a dozen people waiting to use it. Waited my turn as each went into the shop squeezing past 2 females stood near the doorway who ignored everyone of them. When I approached the door one of the women touched my arm and asked if I would be interested in making them some money.
Me : Err no.
Her : Well can you get us a taxi?
Me : No phone love ( which was true I'd left it at home)
Her: Well can you lend us a fiver?
Me: Nope
I pushed past them both and went into the shop and by the time I came out they'd gone. No security on which was unusual. Bloke behind the counter said they were looking to rob stuff - they both had several bags full of shopping. I wonder why they picked on me. Ms P said that they probably thought I looked like a soft touch, but they didn't know me did they? (which I thought was a touch harsh). I have in the past helped people who were genuinely in trouble but these 2 were far from genuine. I seem to attract dodgy characters.

On Thursday it was hammering down with rain and I made a quick dash to the cash point at Tesco Express only to find a queue of half a dozen people waiting to use it. Waited my turn as each went into the shop squeezing past 2 females stood near the doorway who ignored everyone of them. When I approached the door one of the women touched my arm and asked if I would be interested in making them some money.
I pushed past them both and went into the shop and by the time I came out they'd gone. No security on which was unusual. Bloke behind the counter said they were looking to rob stuff - they both had several bags full of shopping. I wonder why they picked on me. Ms P said that they probably thought I looked like a soft touch, but they didn't know me did they? (which I thought was a touch harsh). I have in the past helped people who were genuinely in trouble but these 2 were far from genuine. I seem to attract dodgy characters.
About a decade and at about 9pm I was taking cash out from the HSBC cashpoint on the corner of Leicester Square in London and a young East European guy came up to me and asked if I "was looking for the toilets". I immediately sensed this was a distraction technique and that he was getting uncomfortably close to me (and the wallet in my pocket). Told him I wasn't interested and he had the temerity to get upset at my attitude...!

I find more and more that if there's a sound going on whilst I'm sleeping, then my mind will simply screen it out. For example, if I drop off with the radio on - which happens a fair bit because I often play the radio in bed -then I will sleep oblivious to the sound and undisturbed by its content or to any changes in the sound. Then when I wake up, I will suddenly become aware of the sound again - as if someone has just switched the radion on. In fact, I swear there have been times when I have been waking up and I sort of hear the sound being faded back up again - as if my subconcious has some sort of volume control!

Yes, hello and I know this is quite late...but your brain turns off your hearing while you sleep....or at least, it stops listening. I found this out because I've come into the habit of dozing on the couch before bed and while in the lucid state between awake and asleep, I won't hear the tv unless I think about it, then I can hear it again (and now fully awake)

They were probably going to ask you to 'lift' them a bottle of spirits for them to sell on. There's an awful lot of shoplifting going on at the moment (far more than usual) and I'd bet the bags fo shopping beside them hadn't been paid for. I suspect they were going to try to get you to 'bring them just one bottle' - thus making the risk all yours and the profit all theirs, although most shops aren't intervening in cases of shoplifting simply because it's so prevalent and the police (if they come, which they frequently don't) would never be off the premises.

They were probably going to ask you to 'lift' them a bottle of spirits for them to sell on. There's an awful lot of shoplifting going on at the moment (far more than usual) and I'd bet the bags fo shopping beside them hadn't been paid for. I suspect they were going to try to get you to 'bring them just one bottle' - thus making the risk all yours and the profit all theirs, although most shops aren't intervening in cases of shoplifting simply because it's so prevalent and the police (if they come, which they frequently don't) would never be off the premises.
Yep the staff were keeping a close eye on them and without doubt the bags were full of shoplifted goods. That's not being judgemental I hope but I've known the area for decades and I can spot a wrong un from miles away.

In our local Tesco, they've not gone the 'demand to see your receipt' route but they have security tags on the hand baskets and now a regular security guard on the door.
I think this is most likely orders 'from above' as our population is largely elderly and 'regular' caravanners.

Shoplifters in my home town have the whole business organised on an industrial scale. They notice changes in store staffing, security, deliveries etc and adjust their campaigns accordingly.

For example, a few years ago in the Morrisons supermarket during the run-up to the festive season there were cases of spirits stacked near the entrance. The shoplifters would scoop one up and run, Trainspotters-style, to a friend's home nearby.

Also - smaller supermarket branches have only 3 staff on at a time. When a delivery arrives the shop is not closed while the staff help unload.
Goods are left outside in the yard, not taken straight into the store, as the driver needs to rush off to their next drop.

So a distraction (like say a shouting match) can be arranged in the store to divert staff attention.
It is timed for just after the delivery van leaves so the goods are left unattended in the open yard and can be removed unseen.

There is never a threat of violence towards staff as that would be robbery and the police would definitely attend.
Shoplifters don't want that.

How do I know this? I knew one of the people whose home was used for hiding and sorting stolen goods very well.
They told me all sorts of stories.

In our local Tesco, they've not gone the 'demand to see your receipt' route but they have security tags on the hand baskets and now a regular security guard on the door.
I think this is most likely orders 'from above' as our population is largely elderly and 'regular' caravanners.
Quite often an alarm goes off when people leave the sainsburys store here and sometimes the wheel will lock up on the trolley as well.
When it has happened to me, I just leave it and walk off and no one has ever come after me.

(It also happens when you've gone through the self-service tills, but then gone back into the shop ie to the lotto counter, and not past the electronic device at the exit to the tills).

Yesterday I was repotting a couple of plants in the backyard.
As I was concentrating on tipping out some of the potting mix into the new pot I heard a woman cough behind me.
I was a bit surprised as no one is wandering around as we are in lockdown here.
Of course there was no one there and no one over the fences that back onto mine.
There were no birds around that might have made an odd sound and the cat that often passes through was nowhere to be seen.
Just started reading your post. As I read the second line "....potting mix into the new pot" I coughed

Then read the rest of the sentence.

A perfectly Fortean time-spanning synchronicity!

Yep the staff were keeping a close eye on them and without doubt the bags were full of shoplifted goods. That's not being judgemental I hope but I've known the area for decades and I can spot a wrong un from miles away.
When I was on management training at our local Morrisons (a period of my life I try to forget, we were taught various techniques to spot shoplifters. That store, like some other supermarkets, is deliberately designed so that when customers walk in, they walk anti clockwise around the aisles. This is mostly done for nefarious sales reasons that are too long winded to explain here. We were told to observe anyone without a shopping basket or trolley who wasn't walking through the store anti clockwise. Potential 'skittish' behaviour. Morrison's used to used a code over the P.A. so if a female was actually spotted shop lifting, we'd hear "CAN MRS WHITE COME TO CUSTOMER SERVICES PLEASE" .. if it was a man, "CAN MR WHITE COME TO CUSTOMER SERVICES PLEASE" .. if instead it was some sort of violent situation, if would be the same announcement but Mrs Black or Mr Black. Then all managers moved in to deal with any incidents. We had a security guard but he was crap and spent half his time chatting up the female staff.

When I was on management training at our local Morrisons (a period of my life I try to forget, we were taught various techniques to spot shoplifters. That store, like some other supermarkets, is deliberately designed so that when customers walk in, they walk anti clockwise around the aisles. This is mostly done for nefarious sales reasons that are too long winded to explain here. We were told to observe anyone without a shopping basket or trolley who wasn't walking through the store anti clockwise. Potential 'skittish' behaviour. Morrison's used to used a code over the P.A. so if a female was actually spotted shop lifting, we'd hear "CAN MRS WHITE COME TO CUSTOMER SERVICES PLEASE" .. if it was a man, "CAN MR WHITE COME TO CUSTOMER SERVICES PLEASE" .. if instead it was some sort of violent situation, if would be the same announcement but Mrs Black or Mr Black. Then all managers moved in to deal with any incidents. We had a security guard but he was crap and spent half his time chatting up the female staff.
Right, next time in my local supermarket, I'm not taking a trolley or basket, and I'm going to walk around clockwise. I'm sure no-one will pay me any attention since they all probably recognise me anyway. Maybe I'll have to start looking around nervously as well in order to trigger a false alert.

Right, next time in my local supermarket, I'm not taking a trolley or basket, and I'm going to walk around clockwise. I'm sure no-one will pay me any attention since they all probably recognise me anyway. Maybe I'll have to start looking around nervously as well in order to trigger a false alert.
I never walk around with a basket or trolley, just a large bag which I put my purchases in. Have done since COVID. No one from security has ever approached me.

In the December of 2020 I noticed a guy doing the same thing in my local COOP store. He got to checkout and placed three items on the counter from his bag, but didn't place the other items that were still in his bag. He got questioned and walked out from the store empty handed. When it was my turn to pay and leave I saw him sitting outside on a bench crying. Shoplifting scam.???, Or a genuine bloke who may have lost his job because of the pandemic. Age wise late fifties I reckon. Either way, I did feel sorry for him.

Last edited:
That's precisely what I do :).

That's precisely what I do :).
I've just remembered, when I have arranged to meet my wife in the local Tesco, I can rarely find her quickly - so I end up walking around the supermarket clockwise, looking down each aisle to see if I can spot her; no-one has rugby-tackled me to the ground yet.

I've just remembered, when I have arranged to meet my wife in the local Tesco, I can rarely find her quickly - so I end up walking around the supermarket clockwise, looking down each aisle to see if I can spot her; no-one has rugby-tackled me to the ground yet.
That's because you haven't tried to pinch anything.

Oh my God Simon, Mrs DT is exactly the same. I call her the supermarket ghost.

Take yer eyes off her for a second and she's gone. I have to phone her and ask what aisle she's in and most of the time she's standing right behind me. I've lost count of times this has happened.

Weird.

Trust me that supermarket workers have a very good idea of who the shoplifters are and who is a normal, confused customer.

Back