• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Me too.

I had a vision of walking around a solitary standard UK grain silo on a farm somewhere.
Here's a post of mine about touring silos -

Someone my mother knew lost her husband in a horrific farm accident. He wasn't a farmer, he was a civil servant whose job included inspecting silage containers.

Story goes that it was last thing on a Friday, he was after his dart and he rushed things.

You're supposed to climb up the ladder and loosen the lid, taking care to allow gases to disperse before leaning over the open top to look inside.

Instead he whipped the lid off and stuck his face inside.

The escaping gases exploded, taking his head with them. His horrified assistant saw it fly skyward and then descend to land with a thud in the field.

It was all over the local papers and taught me that safety procedures are there for a reason!

Good grief.

I know from working on the railways and the accidents that happened and why they happened made me a stickler for following safety rules to the letter.
Absolutely. You might remember the one-armed, limping railway safety officer I've mentioned who'd give talks that gave himself as an example.
He'd heard a train horn and raised arm as per procedure when track walking, but on the wrong side of the track.
Lost the arm at the elbow on the spot and sustained serious injuries to a foot from having gravel shot up through it.

Absolutely. You might remember the one-armed, limping railway safety officer I've mentioned who'd give talks that gave himself as an example.
He'd heard a train horn and raised arm as per procedure when track walking, but on the wrong side of the track.
Lost the arm at the elbow on the spot and sustained serious injuries to a foot from having gravel shot up through it.
You're supposed to face the oncoming train, raise one arm and then stand with your back to the train as it goes past and turn your head so as your face is facing away from the train. It's a very simple procedure. It's amazing how track workers don't do that.

About 22 years ago I fixed a slab on top of our brick gatepost (it didn't have one on when we moved in).

I siliconed it on for ease, and because mortar wouldn't really 'grip' it as well.

It's not move a mm in all that time until this morning when I found it had been knocked.

But there was a 3'' screw left on top of it. ?

About 22 years ago I fixed a slab on top of our brick gatepost (it didn't have one on when we moved in).

I siliconed it on for ease, and because mortar wouldn't really 'grip' it as well.

It's not move a mm in all that time until this morning when I found it had been knocked.

Not the first to have a screw loose after a good thumpin

You're supposed to face the oncoming train, raise one arm and then stand with your back to the train as it goes past and turn your head so as your face is facing away from the train. It's a very simple procedure. It's amazing how track workers don't do that.
Yup, if you're walking in front of the train with your back to it and raise your arm you're going to need fewer mittens knitting for xmas.

We were taught this as children by my dad who was a railway worker (a shunter). He used to take my brother and I out and about on the railway and we learned all sorts of things about railway workings and engines. I don't remember that he ever put us in the position where we needed to put this into practice though, thankfully.

I was driving home along the A6 south of Stockport last night after picking up a takeaway and noticed a car tailgating me, assuming it was a boyracer I drove in-to a bus stop layby to let him/them pass and was confused when no lights passed-by. Knowing there's no turn-off or houses along that stretch of the road I looked all around me in the mirrors and nothing was there.

Quite the oddity that I haven't yet been able to explain.

We were taught this as children by my dad who was a railway worker (a shunter). He used to take my brother and I out and about on the railway and we learned all sorts of things about railway workings and engines. I don't remember that he ever put us in the position where we needed to put this into practice though, thankfully.
Where I was brought up, kids played on the railway every day. Not stealing or breaking things, just climbing on things* and coming home stinking of diesel.
In about 1968 a huge sturdy fence was built that settled our 'ash. No more railway trespassing for us.

*After watching The Ladykillers on TV I climbed a stanchion to examine the semaphore signal arm and decided that it was indeed huge and heavy enough to launch the Professor into eternity. This must have been before the fence went up so I was only about 9.

I was driving home along the A6 south of Stockport last night after picking up a takeaway and noticed a car tailgating me, assuming it was a boyracer I drove in-to a bus stop layby to let him/them pass and was confused when no lights passed-by. Knowing there's no turn-off or houses along that stretch of the road I looked all around me in the mirrors and nothing was there.

Any chance that they turned off their lights?

Any chance that they turned off their lights?
No chance with the streetlights as they were right up my bumper which is why I decided to pull-in to the bus stop and let them pass. At the speed they were doing (40mph+) the car would have had to quickly slow down before doing something like a U-Turn or stopping right behind, but one moment they were there and the next... simply gone... There's been a few fatalities along this road over the past few years involving young drivers exceeding the speed limit and having experienced paranormal occurrences before as a teenager I tried to rationalise what just happened while it was fresh in my mind, and there's still no reasonable explanation other than it being a unexplained oddity.

I suppose phantom horse-drawn coaches and motorbikes have been reported in the past, I suppose there's no reason why a phantom car isn't conceivable especially if the owner had an attachment to it as so many do with personal possessions. Other than a time-slip it's the only feasible explanation.

Yesterday evening I had a snack of pitta, humous & olives. I left the olive stones on the plate.

When I came to clear away the plate I found there were less stones than I’d had olives. Thought some must’ve slipped off the plate, had a look round, couldn’t find them. Thought it a bid odd but didn’t give it too much more thought than that.

This morning, putting on my trainers, I found 3 olive stones under one of them. I’d left them in the same room as the snack. I can’t remember for sure if I was wearing those trainers at the time of the snack or whether I was wearing a different pair, which I’d also left alongside.

In my mind I’d been wearing the other ones & hadn’t worn the olive concealing ones since the day before.

If I’d been wearing the ‘olive’ ones I think I’d have noticed leaving them on top of the 3 stones when taking them off. Maybe not though - olive stones can’t teleport can they..

Amazing that you survived the A6 south of Stockport with only minor strangeness.

I told you not to p**s off the fairies. Now look what's happened.

Yesterday evening I had a snack of pitta, humous & olives. I left the olive stones on the plate.

When I came to clear away the plate I found there were less stones than I’d had olives. Thought some must’ve slipped off the plate, had a look round, couldn’t find them. Thought it a bid odd but didn’t give it too much more thought than that.

This morning, putting on my trainers, I found 3 olive stones under one of them. I’d left them in the same room as the snack. I can’t remember for sure if I was wearing those trainers at the time of the snack or whether I was wearing a different pair, which I’d also left alongside.

In my mind I’d been wearing the other ones & hadn’t worn the olive concealing ones since the day before.

If I’d been wearing the ‘olive’ ones I think I’d have noticed leaving them on top of the 3 stones when taking them off. Maybe not though - olive stones can’t teleport can they..
When I went to bed last night I found another olive stone on the floor in my bedroom. I’m not sure how it got there - stuck to sole of shoe? - I think I would’ve felt it.

When I went to bed last night I found another olive stone on the floor in my bedroom. I’m not sure how it got there - stuck to sole of shoe? - I think I would’ve felt it.
Are they falling out of your bum? Like when you eat an exotic fruit you've never had before and next morning in the shower you feel a pop and feel something bounce off your calf?

Just me then.

For a month or so now, my deodorant has stopped working, but only on my right armpit.
Wth?
Perhaps the muscles in your left hand are weak and you aren't pressing the button hard enough to operate the spray. I had cubital tunnel syndrome where the ulnar nerve becomes trapped as well as carpal tunnel syndrome and lost most of the strength in my left hand. A double operation sorted that.

I'd presume that the screw came off whatever hit the gatepost and someone has picked it up and put it on top of the post to prevent it making a hole in bike tyres or a buggy wheel or something.

Back