• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I despise Dyson - the machines and the inventor alike.
I have a Henry and would recomend it over every other make without question.
Trivial I know and I wouldn't have posted - but I really, really despise Dysons.
I’m with you on this

:nods: Like in the '70s when you've been babysitting and the parents arrive home a little early and you say oh hi, had fun? and stand up to get your coat and your knickers fall out of the leg of your loon pants.

Just me then.
Happened to me in the middle of Asda...

Last edited:
Not long after Techy moved in with me I washed his bedding and found a woman's sock in the duvet. It was a nice sock; pale turquoise and white cotton mix slubbed yarn, my size. Wasn't mine though.

Just the one sock. I still have it and sometimes take it out of my sock drawer and wonder if the owner will ever turn up to collect this sock and the other sock

When the connection goes at the head and the brushes stop turning, anyone know how to fix that? Nothing to do with them being jammed due to build up of hairs etc.

When I returned the boots at the end of the evening, there in the middle of the floor of the cupboard, was a cigarette lighter. Just a cheap, disposable one. I don't know anyone who smokes, let alone anyone who would have been in my obscure cupboard.
Could it have been left there by a low key home invader? Someone who breaks in and pokes around and maybe eats a snack, but isn't very clear headed, so forgets to rob you and drops his own stuff instead? Or a muddled drunken person who wandered in? In my mother's old town, there were an amazing (to me) number of drunk people who walked into stranger's homes and passed out. In the morning, the residents would wake up and find a drunk guy they'd never met asleep on their living room sofa.

It's amazing how vacuum cleaners can make even quite mellow people swear and even resort to violence. I once launched one outside because it had driven me so mad.
I'm not too bad with the old vac, but give me a power washer and I end up a gibbering wreck, ending up with a tangled mess of plastic, elecktrickery cables, hoses, water and feet.

I'm not too bad with the old vac, but give me a power washer and I end up a gibbering wreck, ending up with a tangled mess of plastic, elecktrickery cables, hoses, water and feet.
I've never used one (apart from one at the carwash many years ago), but could do with one as the paving slabs are getting slippy. I used to use a brush and a bucket of bleach but I haven't got the inclination these days for any elbow grease.

I've never used one (apart from one at the carwash many years ago), but could do with one as the paving slabs are getting slippy. I used to use a brush and a bucket of bleach but I haven't got the inclination these days for any elbow grease.
Heavily-diluted Jeyes Fluid does the trick with no scrubbing. You just spread it over the slabs with a yard brush and swill it off.
:bthumbup:

It disguises smells too. Worked for the murderer Christie. For a while.

It may be more of an electrical connection problem where the head connects to the arm. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem with dyson or other hoover.
As RaM mentioned, with any vacuum cleaner we've had, the only electrical problem I've encountered is that where the cable comes out of the machine, over time it breaks through constant bending and twisting. Easy to fix, but I've never had a dyson so not sure in your case.

I despise Dyson - the machines and the inventor alike.
I have a Henry and would recomend it over every other make without question.
Trivial I know and I wouldn't have posted - but I really, really despise Dysons.
Dysons are poorly designed and don't suck very well.
My Mum has one that was hardly used before the handle fell apart. I couldn't work out how to reassemble it.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like them. I was persuaded to get one by my youngest years ago but soon bought a wet dry barrel one which is still going strong.

My first Dyson was great. I'd held off buying one when they were new until I'd kicked the ex out in case he nicked it along with my favourite green hoodie and my miniature electronic scales and was down at Currys as soon as the locks were changed. :)

It now resides chez Escet and AFAIK is still going strong.

Someone gave me an upright Dyson a few weeks ago when they bought a new one. It'll probably go on Freecycle.

Last edited:
As I was sitting perusing the site this morning (hooray for holidays!) I suddenly heard our back gate close, which is quite a distinctive sound. Trouble is, it's double-bolted and there is trellis over the top to discourage casual climbers. I did watch the window for a few moments to see if anyone or anything appeared, but nothing. I even went out and checked that the bolts were still shot, which they were. Most peculiar. I'd heard some scraping on that fence a few minutes earlier, which I assumed to be some kind of wildlife - we're overrun with squirrels at the moment - or even the neighbours faffing around in the tiny gap between the fence and their house, but the click of the gate closing is not something easily replicated.

As I was sitting perusing the site this morning (hooray for holidays!) I suddenly heard our back gate close, which is quite a distinctive sound. Trouble is, it's double-bolted and there is trellis over the top to discourage casual climbers. I did watch the window for a few moments to see if anyone or anything appeared, but nothing. I even went out and checked that the bolts were still shot, which they were. Most peculiar. I'd heard some scraping on that fence a few minutes earlier, which I assumed to be some kind of wildlife - we're overrun with squirrels at the moment - or even the neighbours faffing around in the tiny gap between the fence and their house, but the click of the gate closing is not something easily replicated.
Could something have just rattled the catch (if you have one)- bird/squirrel/cat etc?

We've got a Miele vacuum cleaner, it's an absolute monster and the only one I've ever owned that actually does clean up pet hair.

It's so powerful it lifts the carpet when you're using it.

Thanks as always to Which? tests for discovering that one!

Who needs floorboards, anyway?

I'd much rather that it turned out to be a recurring spirit visit, but took me a while to accept that when mu neighbor slammed their car door at night it sounded exactly as though it was slamming in my driveway, getting me up and out to see who was messing with my car.

Could it have been left there by a low key home invader? Someone who breaks in and pokes around and maybe eats a snack, but isn't very clear headed, so forgets to rob you and drops his own stuff instead? Or a muddled drunken person who wandered in? In my mother's old town, there were an amazing (to me) number of drunk people who walked into stranger's homes and passed out. In the morning, the residents would wake up and find a drunk guy they'd never met asleep on their living room sofa.
This is the world's quietest (and, possibly, smallest) village, in the middle of nowhere. No home invaders (except mice). I suspect the lighter had probably been left behind in a corner and just got overlooked and then raked up by my furious shoe-search!

I cannot believe that the word 'suck' has been mentioned now numerous times and not one comment from Trev.
Is he ill?
No I'm not ill mate, lol.
Even making some jokey reference to the over-use of the word 'suck' is too much like 'low hanging fruit' for me.
Plus I must avoid slipping into "70's humour" lest I receive a chastisement for my attempts to inject a bit of levity.
It does have the effect of 'triggering' certain people.

Back