• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I had taken the lab waste down to the ground floor earlier via the lift, and then outside to put it in the big bins. When I went back inside I headed for the lift again, and as I put my hand out to press the Up button, the door opened. I assumed someone was about to wander out but the lift was empty. It was almost as if it knew I needed it. It's not normally that accommodating!
We have button-operated doors at work which sometimes open spontaneously as staff approach. Customers think we have remote controls. :chuckle:

We have button-operated doors at work which sometimes open spontaneously as staff approach. Customers think we have remote controls. :chuckle:
There was a craze a few years ago to remove the chip from an Oyster card (London Transport travel card) and stick it on a cufflink for example, so the ticket gates would open on close proximity. I read some-one actually fitted a chip into a cheapo Harry Potter wand that would wave them through to the consternation of tourists.

There was a craze a few years ago to remove the chip from an Oyster card (London Transport travel card) and stick it on a cufflink for example, so the ticket gates would open on close proximity. I read some-one actually fitted a chip into a cheapo Harry Potter wand that would wave them through to the consternation of tourists.
Oh yes, that rings a bell. :chuckle:

Oh yes, that rings a bell. :chuckle:

Hahaha, that's great. If you own a Samsung/Android phone and have Google assistant installed you can do the following (copied & pasted):

Three new Harry Potter spells are now available on Android: Lumos, Nox and Silencio. Say, "Okay Google, Lumos" to light up your phone's flashlight. Then "Okay Google, Nox" to turn it off when you're done. And "Okay Google, Silencio" turns off your phone's volume.

I've tried "Okay Google, Lumos" on my S10+ Note & it worked.

When I first got the keys to my house I went round it alone (I'd only been in once before). I put my hand on the wall upstairs by the bedroom window and told the house that I was its owner now and I'd be looking after it from here on in. Apart from the weird window thing and the randomly opening cupboard door downstairs, oh, and some odd noises, I've not been bothered by anything. It feels warm and cosy and welcoming. Mind you, with the money I spend on it, it bloody should.

And the other day in a magazine, I saw an advert for corner microwaves! Microwave ovens that fit into that awkward corner on the worktop! Bloody good idea if you ask me. I want a corner toaster now.

And the other day in a magazine, I saw an advert for corner microwaves! Microwave ovens that fit into that awkward corner on the worktop! Bloody good idea if you ask me. I want a corner toaster now.
Our kitchen is badly designed and we couldn't have a 'corner' wall, (or floor) unit because of the position of the window on the next wall - ie it's too close. But having to lean across the worktop to get stuff out off the wall unit, or be on hands and knees reaching into the depths of the floor unit drives me mad.

object1.jpg
This might be conceptual art, but it's just a beautiful brush I bought at the garden center for 4 euro's.

I was also mightily tempted to buy this tool. Not because of a Trotskyite ice-pick fancy, but because I could almost feel the satisfaction of poking nice, neat random holes in the ground during walks :)

object2.jpg

View attachment 52988
This might be conceptual art, but it's just a beautiful brush I bought at the garden center for 4 euro's.

I was also mightily tempted to buy this tool. Not because of a Trotskyite ice-pick fancy, but because I could almost feel the satisfaction of poking nice, neat random holes in the ground during walks :)

View attachment 52989
Spring fever!:headspinner:

View attachment 52988

View attachment 52989

Do they do one in the shape of a single hoof?

:evil:

maximus otter

I had to buy in some Shikakai (Acacia concinna) powder for an MSc formulation practical. It is a herb widely used in India as a shampoo ingredient that promotes hair growth and prevents dandruff. The students were using it to make lipstick.

Two bits of weirdness -

1. Yesterday I was messing with the washing machine and drier plugs because something kept blowing a fuse on the extension they're attached to. At one point I unplugged everything and moved the extension, and found a plug pin stuck in it as if it'd come loose from the plug.

Aha! I thought, There's the problem! A loose plug pin! :)

But when I inspected the plugs none was missing a pin. I don't know where the pin came from.

2. I met up with a relation who calls me by a childhood nickname. She asked me to give her my latest mobile number so I rang her phone.

When it connected, before her phone's ringtone began it said the nickname. We both heard it clearly; a man's voice saying the name she calls me. What the actual?

I rang it a few times more and we heard the name on each connection. Like EVP.

Two bits of weirdness -

1. Yesterday I was messing with the washing machine and drier plugs because something kept blowing a fuse on the extension they're attached to. At one point I unplugged everything and moved the extension, and found a plug pin stuck in it as if it'd come loose from the plug.

But when I inspected the plugs none was missing a pin. I don't know where the pin came from.

2. I met up with a relation who calls me by a childhood nickname. She asked me to give her my latest mobile number so I rang her phone.

When it connected, before her phone's ringtone began it said the nickname. We both heard it clearly; a man's voice saying the name she calls me. What the actual?

I haven't had to replace a fuse in years for some reason. - Check the extension to see what amp fuse you should have in there. It will say on it somewhere. It might be that it has been replaced with one that is too low. But how could the plug from your appliance have fitted into said extension if it had a pin stuck in it?

I haven't had to replace a fuse in years for some reason. - Check the extension to see what amp fuse you should have in there. It will say on it somewhere. It might be that it has been replaced with one that is too low. But how could the plug from your appliance have fitted into said extension if it had a pin stuck in it?
Yup, something faulty had caused the extension to blow fuses and we dealt with it. But the extra plug pin, that's what puzzled us.

I haven't had to replace a fuse in years for some reason

- you will now! :chuckle:

Perhaps this Caller Announce setting is on your phone?

https://lifehacker.com/your-android-phone-can-now-announce-whos-calling-1846911917

"The Google Phone app can now announce the caller ID for incoming phone calls out loud, so you’ll know who’s calling without having to eyeball your phone. The new feature is available globally for all Android phones that use the Google Phone app for calls."

yesterday I had a call from my cousin.
I couldn't understand the noise so turned it off and rang him.
His wife answered and said it must have rung from his pocket as they were at the Elvis exhibition.
Don't know why it rings me as it's happened before.

Perhaps this Caller Announce setting is on your phone?

https://lifehacker.com/your-android-phone-can-now-announce-whos-calling-1846911917

"The Google Phone app can now announce the caller ID for incoming phone calls out loud, so you’ll know who’s calling without having to eyeball your phone. The new feature is available globally for all Android phones that use the Google Phone app for calls."
So it's possible then.
However, my phone is Android and the relation's is an iPhone. Relation is not technically-minded and doesn't install anything.
That must be the explanation though.

My cousin's wife rang today and said that my cousin had taken sick yesterday and was in hospital.
I don't suppose it was anything to do with the phone ringing me. He was always like a brother as his Father died young.

Two bits of weirdness -

All solved. :)

1. The extra plug pin - I forgot I'd tried another plug in the extension and the extra pin is the earth from that.
2. Yup, iPhones do indeed verbally announce callers. Relation already had my number and was checking which it was out of several older ones. There may have been some miscommunication due to excessively loud Irish pub music.

I got up this morning, put the dog out for her wee and then went to avail myself of my own facilities. And there's a strange mark on the floor of my bathroom.
floor.jpg

Just two almost-circles (I smeared one with my finger to see what it was). Now, in the normal course of events this wouldn't be noteworthy and I would just assume that I'd put something down on the floor and not noticed. BUT. Yesterday I gave the bathroom a really good clean. The floor was spotless. I appreciated the spotless nature of it when I showered and went to bed - there wasn't a single mark on the floor. I didn't notice it when I got up for a wee at twenty past five (when it would have been light enough to notice, but I admit I was half asleep and might just not have seen). Then, this morning, there it is.

The marks look as though they've been made by the bottom of something, like shampoo bottles, with a kind of greasy residue on them. But I haven't put anything on the floor since it was cleaned. The dog is loose in the house at night, but I can't see how she could have made these marks, and she's not dirty. So. Do I have a phantom goblin who's getting in and dirtying my lovely clean bathroom?

Edited to add: The marks are just in front of and underneath the sink. Approximately where I would stand if I were washing my hands, but a bit more 'underneath' if you see what I mean. You can't easily stand there.

A bit hard to tell from the photo, but they do look like dog paws. Or, maybe the cleaning liquid went under the mop-bucket (if you used one) and you didn't notice when you took it away after you'd finished and then it pooled and dried.

Are they real tiles or lino? Grout lines in tiling can still hold a bit of dirt even after you've mopped up, (or even from the dark grout itself), so that discolouring/dirt could have mixed in with any remaining liquid/moisture and then dried.

Maybe whatever you'd cleaned the floor with was slowly reacting to something that had been there previously and developed it so to speak?
Floor was cleaned with water and washing liquid, but I did wonder if there were pipes under the floor that may have become visible. But there aren't.
A bit hard to tell from the photo, but they do look like dog paws. Or, maybe the cleaning liquid went under the mop-bucket (if you used one) and you didn't notice when you took it away after you'd finished and then it pooled and dried.

Are they real tiles or lino? Grout lines in tiling can still hold a bit of dirt even after you've mopped up, (or even from the dark grout itself), so that discolouring/dirt could have mixed in with any remaining liquid/moisture and then dried.
MUCH too big for dog paws. They are the size of the base of a jam jar (of ordinary size). Definitely didn't use a mop bucket, but I did wonder about the water running down the grout lines (it's real tiles). All this would be plausible if the marks had appeared earlier in the day (I cleaned the floor at about 2pm), but the floor was dry and clean right up until I showered and went off to bed at nine and then was still clear at 5am when I got up for a wee. So the marks appeared between 5am and 9am...
If you are a gentleman of a certain age may I suggest a dribble.
I am not. But, of course, that doesn't rule out dribble - although it's a bit far from the loo and rather large...

I got up this morning, put the dog out for her wee and then went to avail myself of my own facilities. And there's a strange mark on the floor of my bathroom.
View attachment 53340
Just two almost-circles (I smeared one with my finger to see what it was). Now, in the normal course of events this wouldn't be noteworthy and I would just assume that I'd put something down on the floor and not noticed. BUT. Yesterday I gave the bathroom a really good clean. The floor was spotless. I appreciated the spotless nature of it when I showered and went to bed - there wasn't a single mark on the floor. I didn't notice it when I got up for a wee at twenty past five (when it would have been light enough to notice, but I admit I was half asleep and might just not have seen). Then, this morning, there it is.

The marks look as though they've been made by the bottom of something, like shampoo bottles, with a kind of greasy residue on them. But I haven't put anything on the floor since it was cleaned. The dog is loose in the house at night, but I can't see how she could have made these marks, and she's not dirty. So. Do I have a phantom goblin who's getting in and dirtying my lovely clean bathroom?

Edited to add: The marks are just in front of and underneath the sink. Approximately where I would stand if I were washing my hands, but a bit more 'underneath' if you see what I mean. You can't easily stand there.
This is what it is to live alone. You know damn well how you left every piece of the house and if you find it different and can't blame the cat it's nerve-wracking. Looks to me as though despite your neatness something dripped enough to form a pool that left a mark when it dried up. Could it have been one of those drips that goes around under the sink? but it does look awfully neat for that.

Back