• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I use self-service tills because a) it's faster, b) I don't 'get' or need chit-chat.
If I've a product that has a security tag on, I use a manned till, since it's quicker to have the cashier remove the tag than waiting for the one over-worked member of staff who has to 'supervise' the four 'self-service'.
Thing is, some people use shopping as a social interaction. My mentality treats shopping as a necessary task. I don't enjoy 'window shopping', as in looking around without any intention of buying. I understand those that do ... but it's just not me.
And even if refusing to use self-serve check-outs as a 'protest' means longer queues at the manned tills, it won't force the store to get rid. If anything, longer queues at manned points means they'll bring in more self-service.

she was just bored and took a brief zoning out holiday in her private thoughts is all.
I'm sorry? "Private thoughts" ? In working hours? Do they pay these people to have "private thoughts" ? They have breaks (probably) to have private thoughts. And a wee, if there's time. I mean, some people. Honestly. "Private thoughts". Pfft.

I too prefer to use a 'staffed' checkout.
Trev, cut the poor lady some slack!
Absolutely not!
Pull your bleedin finger out luv.
Shape up or ship out!
We don't pay you to sit there gormlessly staring into the middle distance, wistfully daydreaming about puppies or whatever.
And your mandated 3 minute break isn't for another 17 hours so you better crack on.

I use self-service tills because a) it's faster, b) I don't 'get' or need chit-chat.
If I've a product that has a security tag on, I use a manned till, since it's quicker to have the cashier remove the tag than waiting for the one over-worked member of staff who has to 'supervise' the four 'self-service'.
Thing is, some people use shopping as a social interaction. My mentality treats shopping as a necessary task. I don't enjoy 'window shopping', as in looking around without any intention of buying. I understand those that do ... but it's just not me.
And even if refusing to use self-serve check-outs as a 'protest' means longer queues at the manned tills, it won't force the store to get rid. If anything, longer queues at manned points means they'll bring in more self-service.

It's not about the chit-chat. Till workers are helpful in lots of ways, not least where barcodes are messed up or deals don't work.
(Morrisons is KING of this tripe.)

I'm resigned to using self-service tills where customers are stuck with them.
Something usually goes wrong so it's either walk out and leave the goods or get a worker to help.

This isn't remotely Fortean, but it gave me a start.

I needed some new pins for sewing. They have to be steel so I can retrieve lost ones with my magnetic gadgets.

Bought a little box of 200 for £1, want sure if they were 'magnetic' ones so held the box out vaguely towards a strong magnet at home.

The box leapt out of my hand and attached to the magnet. As if it had been flicked by a poltergeist. :omg:

Made me jump. :chuckle:

I had a strange experience on Friday eve;

I was watching an old episode of Top of the Pops (a music show that ran in Britain every week from the 1960s to 2006).

Whenever they couldn't get a musician/band on, Legs and Co (a troupe of fine young fillies) would come on and dance (often badly) to the song instead.

Now I've seen these ladies many times over the years, ever since I was five or so, without any problems, but for some reason, this time I didn't know whether to laugh or masturbate. It was a most disconcerning feeling.

Luckily, as I was mulling this over, by now the song had ended and a definite decision was made for me by the appearance of the Yorkshire Ripper Noel Edmonds.

Pants firmly zipped up.

What? what? You were tempted to masturbate by dancing horses? I've long since suspected there's something odd about you. Oh well each to his own, I'm woke and tolerant and all that, :)

I agree though Noel Edmunds is enough to turn you off anything!

Working on a till is not mindless labour. If it were, nobody would mind using self-service tills.
I did not say mindless. The repetition of scanning things over and over for hours would make almost anyone to work on autopilot and not catch comments made by a customer immediately. We've all been there. Doing something that we can do in our sleep and suddenly realize that someone is speaking to us and having to say "Sorry I didn't hear you".

Since I am reading this thread, I will place here (though it can also be described as coincidence, of which there is another thread).

At work yesterday, I was putting the dishes away. We have two blue silicone cereal bowls with white lids. We do try to keep things stored together, though the one bowl had been missing its lid for at least a week.

Believe me, I had looked for it because things go missing when staff who are not familiar with the house don't know where items usually are stored.

So I am taking the dishes out of the dishwasher and there is no lid for the blue bowl (it was on it at breakfast). I look in the bottom of the dishwasher, I look on the shelf where it is stored (though I would have put it there). Nothing.

I ask the other staff member if she had seen it. She had only started her shift at 9:00, so, no.

I give up, resigned to having two bowls without their lids. I open up another cupboard drawer for storage containers to put more items away, and there is the lid. Right beside the other lid that had been missing for a week.

Odd. These are all cupboard drawers we use very regularly and are fairly organized. I can only surmise that the small white lid was in amidst larger white lids, though why both small lids appeared at the same time is funny.

I did not say mindless. The repetition of scanning things over and over for hours would make almost anyone to work on autopilot and not catch comments made by a customer immediately. We've all been there. Doing something that we can do in our sleep and suddenly realize that someone is speaking to us and having to say "Sorry I didn't hear you".
Some of the tasks I have to do for a living (i.e., programming and testing PC cards) is repetitive and dull. I often find myself zoning out.
It can happen to any of us.

My wife and I were shopping in a “ big box “ store and we were stunned that a person in front of us looked like my brother who died 10 years ago.

This person looked like my dead brother so much that my wife and I were wondering if this was a paranormal situation such as a time warp or a ghost.

We did not approach him and he went on his way.

This felt very strange.

Just a minute ago, something struck my front window, but I didn't see what it was (curtains pulled).
Looked outside... nothing.
I have to just assume that it was a bird. Didn't somebody else post recently about a bird hitting the window?
I'm wondering if this is on the increase. I had noticed pigeons being more dopey than usual. One struck a glancing blow off my car's windscreen a week ago.
Disease, perhaps? If so, a worrying trend.

Just a minute ago, something struck my front window, but I didn't see what it was (curtains pulled).
Looked outside... nothing.
I have to just assume that it was a bird. Didn't somebody else post recently about a bird hitting the window?
I'm wondering if this is on the increase. I had noticed pigeons being more dopey than usual. One struck a glancing blow off my car's windscreen a week ago.
Disease, perhaps? If so, a worrying trend.
While out working (as a window cleaner) I frequently clean bird imprints off windows. What I've also noticed these last few years is an increase in the number of sparrow hawks.

Sparrow hawk chases bird, anything from a blue tit up to the size of a pigeon, and in desperation flies into a window thinking it a place of safety because it's see through.

Well.... that's my theory.

While out working (as a window cleaner) I frequently clean bird imprints off windows. What I've also noticed these last few years is an increase in the number of sparrow hawks.

Sparrow hawk chases bird, anything from a blue tit up to the size of a pigeon, and in desperation flies into a window thinking it a place of safety because it's see through.

Well.... that's my theory.
Perhaps we need to start looking after our feathered friends by only installing non see-through windows. I think they call them 'walls'.

I was watching an old episode of Top of the Pops (a music show that ran in Britain every week from the 1960s to 2006).

Whenever they couldn't get a musician/band on, Legs and Co (a troupe of fine young fillies) would come on and dance (often badly) to the song instead.

Now I've seen these ladies many times over the years, ever since I was five or so, without any problems, but for some reason, this time I didn't know whether to laugh or masturbate. It was a most disconcerning feeling.

Luckily, as I was mulling this over, by now the song had ended and a definite decision was made for me by the appearance of the Yorkshire Ripper Noel Edmonds.

Pants firmly zipped up.

I'm sure this distinctive number could change your initial decision...

Pants firmly zipped up.
What was the song?

My older daughter has taught lower grade school for many years and just loved her ancient desk computer with large tower that the school supplies because it always worked.

Well, the school’s tech people trashed all the teacher’s ancient computers and supplied a new lap top to all teachers.

The problem was that my daughter’s lap top would just start typing letters by itself.

The school’s tech people were kidding my daughter that her lap top was “ possessed “ and they did a “ cleaning “ on the programs.

Now the computer just starts typing letters on its own every now and then, so it is not fixed completely.

Too strange !

Back