• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My older daughter has taught lower grade school for many years and just loved her ancient desk computer with large tower that the school supplies because it always worked.

Well, the school’s tech people trashed all the teacher’s ancient computers and supplied a new lap top to all teachers.

The problem was that my daughter’s lap top would just start typing letters by itself.

The school’s tech people were kidding my daughter that her lap top was “ possessed “ and they did a “ cleaning “ on the programs.

Now the computer just starts typing letters on its own every now and then, so it is not fixed completely.

Too strange !
Letters? Long letters addressed to someone, or individual characters from the alphabet?
It may mean that the keyboard controller is playing up, or a driver needs updating.
Also, check the room temperature and humidity.

And ghosts. Check the room for ghosts.
All-work-and-no-play.jpg

My daughter’s lap top would type regular size individual letters of the alphabet by itself.

Her classroom is usually on the warm side since southern state schools start school around August 1st to get in all the planned school breaks through the school year.

When I was in lower school, school started always the day after America’s Labor Day with limited school breaks, the longest being Christmas.

Last edited:
My daughter’s lap top would type regular size individual letters of the alphabet by itself.

Her classroom is usually on the warm side since southern state schools start school around August 1st to get in all the planned school breaks through the school year.

When I was in lower school, school started always the day after America’s Labor Day with limited school breaks, the longest being Christmas.
Sounds like a keyboard controller issue, or a driver.
The temperature, being warm, is probably not the problem.
Your daughter should do a full Windows update from time to time.
Also, plugging in a separate USB keyboard (a wired one, not wireless) *may* help to fix the problem.

Thanks for your fixing suggestions.

In my daughter’s situation only the school’s IT people are allowed to fix any computer problem.

She must be tuned in to 'AI!' :curt:

I has a strange experience this morning...

It was 5:50am and I was lying in bed, enjoying that it was another hour before my alarm went off.
Suddenly there was a massive clattering sound outside, it sounded like a flatbed truck had gone over a speed hump at about 40 mph with a load of stuff in the back.
The problem is I live at the end of a twisty cul-de-sac so no one can drive at any speed anywhere near my house.
I thought maybe someone had banged on my front door but that sound would have reverberated around my house more, it sounded like from out in the street in front of my house.
I got up about 20 seconds later and looked out the front window (I sleep in the back room) and there was nothing or no one that could have caused the sound.
I have never heard anything similar before, I'm sure there is a mundane explanation, I just haven't worked it out yet.

I has a strange experience this morning...

It was 5:50am and I was lying in bed, enjoying that it was another hour before my alarm went off.
Suddenly there was a massive clattering sound outside, it sounded like a flatbed truck had gone over a speed hump at about 40 mph with a load of stuff in the back.
The problem is I live at the end of a twisty cul-de-sac so no one can drive at any speed anywhere near my house.
I thought maybe someone had banged on my front door but that sound would have reverberated around my house more, it sounded like from out in the street in front of my house.
I got up about 20 seconds later and looked out the front window (I sleep in the back room) and there was nothing or no one that could have caused the sound.
I have never heard anything similar before, I'm sure there is a mundane explanation, I just haven't worked it out yet.
Possibly a neighbour putting stuff into either recycle, or rubbish bins?

Or a fox pulling over a bin?
Are foxes big enough to pull over a bin? I know raccoons can. But foxes just seem tiny in comparison to some raccoons I've seen.

Raccoons can range from 11-57 lbs. and 16-28 in. according to wiki. Where as red foxes weigh 9-19 3/4 lbs. according to same source.

Last edited:
Are foxes big enough to pull over a bin? I know raccoons can. But foxes just seem tiny in comparison to some raccoons I've seen.

Raccoons can range from 11-57 lbs. and 16-28 in. according to wiki. Were as red foxes weigh 9-19 3/4 lbs. according to same source.
The bins do get blown over in the winter when the wind is strong and they are empty because they have just been emptied. Plastic would not make that metal like sound.

So, my daughter who a stranger gave her lottery tickets ( previous post ) walked into her local fuel station and the manager of the food section was closing for the night.

No leftover food can be served again and has to be trashed ( food laws ).

This manager asked her if she wanted the several remaining pastries for free, which my daughter said yes.

It seems people are trying to give my older daughter things.

Just a minute ago, something struck my front window, but I didn't see what it was (curtains pulled).
Looked outside... nothing.
I have to just assume that it was a bird. Didn't somebody else post recently about a bird hitting the window?
I'm wondering if this is on the increase. I had noticed pigeons being more dopey than usual. One struck a glancing blow off my car's windscreen a week ago.
Disease, perhaps? If so, a worrying trend.
Right at the moment in our area it's harvest time. This means there is a LOT of loose grain lying about on the roads, where it has spilled from transporting trailers. It's like an 'all you can eat' buffet for pigeons and they are filling up to such an extent that they can barely get airborne when a car approaches.

Or a fox pulling over a bin?

I have a potential suspect, to the left of the houses opposite me are some peoples back gardens.

Last year one of the houses had a rear extension built, as it is a mid terrace all the workers access was via the top of the back garden. They took the fence out and have not yet replaced it.

Leaning against the gap is a piece of metal bout 10ft wide and 7ft high, its edge is tubular metal and a sort of mesh of very thin metal going across and up its structure, not sure what it was originally designed for.

Last time I saw it it was out side leaning to the wall, it is now inside the garden leaning to the wall with a couple of wooden fence pieces leaning against it to secure it.

I guess it fell over and has now been moved inside the garden.

MrsF works for the same company as another woman. They're kind of 'friends' in a work related way.

This woman is the sort who if she ate, say an apple for lunch, it would be on facebook- with pictures.

But the thing I find even stranger is that if you said to her for eg, that you've just bought a mountain bike, or are starting Judo lessons, she'll have to do the same.

She won't stick at it for long, but it's like she can't think for herself somehow and has to copy what someone else does all the time.

It might be an indicator of poor self-appreciation.
She wants to publicise her actions, to gain approval. She wants to echo other peoples interests and activities because she feels a need to belong.
It's the same mechanism as those who post their 'perfect' lives on social media, regardless of fact. They want approval.
E.G. In a discussion about the development of their children, at what age they achieve something, you'll get very few who admit to 'failure' as they see it in their peers eyes. "My child learned to walk when they were only six months old!" "Well, mine was only four months old when they started toddling!" and so on. To me, these aren't exactly support groups to help - they're desperate attempts to bolster low self-esteem.

she'll have to do the same
I've known a guy since I was a teenager who is like that, but always has to go one better.
One of our group of friends or family would (eg) buy a new 60" TV and (lets call him) 'Marcus' will have to go and buy a 65" TV, and tell everyone about it.
If one of us buys (eg) a new Tesla car, 'Marcus' will go out and buy a new one too, but the next model up, with the greater range, and will boast about how it is better.
We've got a name for him when he displays this sort of behaviour which rhymes with his actual surname, which I would tell you, but this is a family show.

Not really strange but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it. I was working in the kitchen with the back door open and it started to shower, just for a few minutes. I walked out the back door when it finished to deadhead some flowers and precisely half of the paving stones show the rain and the other half are perfectly dry. I know there must be a demarcation line between these showers but I’ve never seen one before.

I've known a guy since I was a teenager who is like that, but always has to go one better.
One of our group of friends or family would (eg) buy a new 60" TV and (lets call him) 'Marcus' will have to go and buy a 65" TV, and tell everyone about it.
If one of us buys (eg) a new Tesla car, 'Marcus' will go out and buy a new one too, but the next model up, with the greater range, and will boast about how it is better.
We've got a name for him when he displays this sort of behaviour which rhymes with his actual surname, which I would tell you, but this is a family show.
There's a Dilbert character called Topper, who is like this.

Not really strange but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it. I was working in the kitchen with the back door open and it started to shower, just for a few minutes. I walked out the back door when it finished to deadhead some flowers and precisely half of the paving stones show the rain and the other half are perfectly dry. I know there must be a demarcation line between these showers but I’ve never seen one before.
We were out cycling one day and rode into a shower and then out of it again.

I had placed the items into a bag and looked up expecting the milk to be scanned and handed to me but no, she was just staring at me with a glazed expression on her face.
Oh, this was posts and posts and zillions of posts ago, but I have to finally chuck in my 2 cents worth because I can't get it off my mind: I've done this in public, same as the cashier did. Just stalled out in the middle of an interaction. No seizure, just fatigued by incessant interactions on top of being generally stressed out at that time in my life (early twenties). I still get tired from people talking at me, but I have more sympathy for people who seem to have a physiological need to chat. I also have more endurance and strength in dealing with life, so I no longer experience this type of momentary social fugue.

To be clear, I am not accusing Trevp666 of being a chatty Cathy who blathers on about the price of kumquats or something while gazing longingly at a pint of milk destined for his tea. Sometimes one's needs and another's resources are simply not in harmony.

E.G. In a discussion about the development of their children, at what age they achieve something, you'll get very few who admit to 'failure' as they see it in their peers eyes. "My child learned to walk when they were only six months old!" "Well, mine was only four months old when they started toddling!" and so on.
Hah! But have you heard from the one whose child started toddling in utero? Hard to top that unless there was a child who started toddling before then, while still descending the fallopian tube!!!
Ouch!
That could kill a gal!

The Red Arrows flew over here a little while ago, at low level, rattling the windows.
I looked up the ADS-B to see where they had been, and they hadn't really been anywhere specific, just sort of flown around England in a large uneven loop, going over Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Bedfordshire....and then who knows? I didn't follow them.
But the strange thing is, you would think they would be going somewhere? To do an airshow, or 'fly by' or something. But evidently not.
(For non UK members, 'The Red Arrows' are the display team of the RAF)

The Red Arrows flew over here a little while ago, at low level, rattling the windows.
I looked up the ADS-B to see where they had been, and they hadn't really been anywhere specific, just sort of flown around England in a large uneven loop, going over Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Bedfordshire....and then who knows? I didn't follow them.
But the strange thing is, you would think they would be going somewhere? To do an airshow, or 'fly by' or something. But evidently not.
Maybe they are just practicing? They are a precision display team, so rehearsing must be important. Or maybe they've been scrambled to bring down a UF.... err..... a weather balloon, I mean.

Something flew over here a few minutes ago. Couldn't find it on FlightRadar.

Back