• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Okay, if we can tear ourselves away from boobs for a moment...

I had a weird thing happen last night. Well, not weird, just odd. And no boobs were involved.

I was walking the dog at about five o clock, so not quite completely dark. We headed out of the village down the hill and ahead of us in the middle of the road was a white cat, crouching down. Dog went mad, trying to chase the cat, but she was on the lead so we sort of plunged our way down towards the cat (about thirty feet ahead of us). I was trying to work out whose cat it could be, there are no pure white cats in the village. Then the cat ran to the hedge at the side of the road, then back into the road, across to the other side, and rose into the air. It went up about four or five feet, then back down to settle in the road again.

It was a plastic bag. A very flimsy one, so when a breeze caught it it moved across the road. But it moved exactly like a cat seeing a dog approach, sort of low and slinking, with a pause to check how close the dog was. It was SO like a cat that I couldn't quite believe it was just a bag until we got right on top of it and I could see it. Even the dog - who must have a sense of smell, despite being an utter idiot - thought it was a cat. I assume that expectation (I really did think it was a cat) made it seem to move in a more catlike way than it actually did, and my brain did the rest. But the dog saw what I saw....
At least you pair had an excuse.
Ours once barked at a Tesco bag, and the only thing that it resembled - was a Tesco bag.

I’ve only recently started noticing this - I just poured a beer - Old Speckled Hen in case you’re wondering - into a glass. When I picked it up to take a swig some minutes later, moisture was apparent on the desk where the glass had been. Where did it come from?

I hadn’t spilt any - it must be some sort of condensation.. The beer was room temperature - not out of the fridge.
You might already know this but ..

Before Old Speckled Hen ale, 'Speckled Hen' was a joke/observation about the Triumph Spitfire cars ... those cars were sold painted in factory canary yellow for a time but only the manufacturers had the correct paint. When owners of those cars 'pranged' them so causing damage to the paintwork, almost every owner took them to a local garage to save a bit of cash so it was down to local garages to paint over the damage which never quite exactly matched the original yellow paint causing the cars to look a bit patchy. Hence the name: SPECKLED HEN

Last edited:

Before Old Speckled Hen ale, 'Speckled Hen' was a joke/observation about the Triumph Spitfire cars ... those cars were sold painted in factory canary yellow for a time but only the manufacturers had the correct paint. When owners of those cars 'pranged' them so causing damage to the paintwork, almost every owner took them to a local garage to save a bit of cash so it was down to local garages to paint over the damage which never quite exactly matched the original yellow paint causing the cars to look a bit patchy. Hence the name Speckled Hen.
Have my Old Speckled Hen ale anecdote again.

In January 2014 I bought some cut-price booze, including a barrel of Old Speckled Hen which cost a very reasonable tenner. The cashier called a supervisor over to check my purchases. I joked about being ID'd but they were checking the prices.
I was in a rush so hurried off.

The bill seemed a bit cheap, hmm. A day or two after we'd guzzled the Hen I found the receipt and noticed that I'd paid not ten pounds for the barrel but ONE POUND. Someone had wrongly priced it. Heh.

Before Old Speckled Hen ale, 'Speckled Hen' was a joke/observation about the Triumph Spitfire cars ... those cars were sold painted in factory canary yellow for a time but only the manufacturers had the correct paint. When owners of those cars 'pranged' them so causing damage to the paintwork, almost every owner took them to a local garage to save a bit of cash so it was down to local garages to paint over the damage which never quite exactly matched the original yellow paint causing the cars to look a bit patchy. Hence the name: SPECKLED HEN
The internet has a different version -

The name chosen was 'Old Speckled Hen', which took its name not from a bird, but a car: a paint-spattered MG Featherlight Saloon. Back in the day, this was the MG factory run-around, fondly referred to as the “Owld Speckl'd Un” due to its mottled appearance after several years parked under the paint shop.

And here it is - up for auction in 2020 with an estimate of 50 - 60 grand.

1706963202859.png

The rear shows some of the speckling.

1706963219343.png

It was first brewed in1979 to mark the 50th anniversary of MG cars.

The internet has a different version -

And here it is - up for auction in 2020 with an estimate of 50 - 60 grand.

View attachment 73573

The rear shows some of the speckling.

View attachment 73574

It was first brewed in1979 to mark the 50th anniversary of MG cars.
I've absolutely no idea which is the true story but thanks for updating this hunk .. it was something to do with old cars and speckling and brewing so the old man wasn't totally pulling my leg.

Most unfair. :(
I got a free pair of hiking boots. When they were delivered they were damaged, not sown properly. I sent them back and got a refund... and a replacement pair of boots . Numerous emails and telephone calls explaining I had boots that I hadn't paid for, but they couldn't get their head around it. In the end I gave up. Free boots.

Back