• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Same with cod liver oil.
Did someone walk along a beach one day, see a dead cod and think I reckon the liver of this fish will do me wonders. ?
(I doubt very much that it does anything at all).
In that case, easier to understand - hungry people just ate pretty much the whole fish and were able to note any effects.

I consume loads of olive oil (and other ones too) but I've always been very sceptical about this it lubricates the joints thing.
I was thinking more along the lines of "You don't look well, have some cod-liver oil" although maybe my mum just said that to reduce any complaining about feeling unwell.

I consume loads of olive oil (and other ones too) but I've always been very sceptical about this it lubricates the joints thing.
It occurs to me that it might actually work. Due to my hiking activities over many years, my knees are pretty shot. About ten years or so ago, I mentioned this to a Guatemalan friend, a doctor, who said "Take glucosamine". I have since been taking glucosamine as a supplement almost every day - and my knees are fine. If I don't take it for a while, my knees start locking again. I mentioned glucosamine for my knees to a UK doctor, and the UK doctor said, "Load of nonsense, doesn't do a thing."

It occurs to me that it might actually work. Due to my hiking activities over many years, my knees are pretty shot. About ten years or so ago, I mentioned this to a Guatemalan friend, a doctor, who said "Take glucosamine". I have since been taking glucosamine as a supplement almost every day - and my knees are fine. If I don't take it for a while, my knees start locking again. I mentioned glucosamine for my knees to a UK doctor, and the UK doctor said, "Load of nonsense, doesn't do a thing."
That's from shells though isn't it?

I wonder what the knees of some of the guys who work on the aircraft carriers end up like.
Must be wrecked after a year or two;

Attachments

• gj.jpg
    gj.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 17
Didn't the RAF guys in WW2 suffer from diarrhea caused by the paraffin fumes used to lubricate the engine parts?
I suspect that RAF personnel suffered from that malady more from the prospect of imminent death than paraffin. The smell of paraffin makes me gip a bit - probably due to the memory of parents house full of paraffin heaters and totally unventilated. (How they reached late 80's before expiring I'll never know). I still use a bit of it in my model tanks but have to hold my breath!

YUK...my mum tried me with some one time, couldn't stand Lucozade...think it is still around though ?

Mmm Lucozade - a great sugary "hit". Can't beat it.

And it's available in about 20 different flavours (only a very slight exaggeration) these days, so if you don't fancy the original, there are other options.

Here's some minor strangeness though: you can now get sugar-free Lucozade. Doesn't that defeat the object of the stuff?

They very quickly withdrew the sugar-free version of the original Lucozade, unfortunately.

I posted on here some time last year, where the dials on both radiators in the living room had turned themselves off whilst I was out of the house.

Well, it’s been happening again this past 2 weeks. I’ll come down in the morning and see the boiler fired up when it shouldn’t be. I check each radiator and the one in the living room which is behind a large sofa has its dial turned to the highest setting, when I know it was turned to zero before I went to bed. Noone would have touched the dial, as the sofa is large and heavy and to get to the dial the sofa would need to have been pulled away from the wall.

It keeps happening and it’s freaking me out a bit :)

I have an engineer coming next week, so maybe he’ll / she'll be able to throw some light on the issue.

I posted this on another thread, but fear I may have inadvertently placed it where the kind of forumites who would be interested may not see it.

Please excuse the arrogance of posting it twice. And imagine it's yesterday at about 5.50pm ish.

This is weird, and I'm still a little perturbed.

I am laying here, on my sofa, and until the last few minutes I've been scrawling through Facebook with 'The Chase' on in the background- I'm waiting for the local news programme, and not watching Bradley and his chums, but am aware of what's going on.

Here's what happened: the three remaining contestants were starting their final round. I heard the first few answers (muttering under my breath a couple of answers I guessed) and then had my attention fully absorbed by an article I found on Facebook. I clicked the link, waited for it to open, read the entirety of the article, closed the link... and then turned my attention briefly back to the TV.

To find that only five seconds had passed.

Note: in 'The Chase' there is an on-screen clock counting down during the rounds.

The article was a thing about Denisovans at

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...jkybIIK3LnVjmM1_BYYX0qYr7tFYhove78wjdC1VH0vgE

...which absolutely cannot be read in five seconds. Let alone seen, opened, the cookies agreed with, read and then closed.

So what happened? No pause button was pressed, no rounds were skipped. How very weird. Is there a name for this kind of "slowing down of relative time"?

I posted on here some time last year, where the dials on both radiators in the living room had turned themselves off whilst I was out of the house.

Well, it’s been happening again this past 2 weeks. I’ll come down in the morning and see the boiler fired up when it shouldn’t be. I check each radiator and the one in the living room which is behind a large sofa has its dial turned to the highest setting, when I know it was turned to zero before I went to bed. Noone would have touched the dial, as the sofa is large and heavy and to get to the dial the sofa would need to have been pulled away from the wall.

I have an engineer coming next week, so maybe he’ll / she'll be able to throw some light on the issue.
We had a lightbulb that used to periodically unscrew itself, but that's nowhere near as strange as your situation.

The dials do become worn after a while (I just replaced one myself the other week).

I posted this on another thread, but fear I may have inadvertently placed it where the kind of forumites who would be interested may not see it.

Please excuse the arrogance of posting it twice. And imagine it's yesterday at about 5.50pm ish.

This is weird, and I'm still a little perturbed.

I am laying here, on my sofa, and until the last few minutes I've been scrawling through Facebook with 'The Chase' on in the background- I'm waiting for the local news programme, and not watching Bradley and his chums, but am aware of what's going on.

Here's what happened: the three remaining contestants were starting their final round. I heard the first few answers (muttering under my breath a couple of answers I guessed) and then had my attention fully absorbed by an article I found on Facebook. I clicked the link, waited for it to open, read the entirety of the article, closed the link... and then turned my attention briefly back to the TV.

To find that only five seconds had passed.

Note: in 'The Chase' there is an on-screen clock counting down during the rounds.

The article was a thing about Denisovans at

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...jkybIIK3LnVjmM1_BYYX0qYr7tFYhove78wjdC1VH0vgE

...which absolutely cannot be read in five seconds. Let alone seen, opened, the cookies agreed with, read and then closed.

So what happened? No pause button was pressed, no rounds were skipped. How very weird. Is there a name for this kind of "slowing down of relative time"?
Adverts?

You're not the only one by the looks of it Dick! https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/dial-thermostat-turning-itself-up-spooky.384427/

NB Here is one I fitted recently. Not sure if yours is the same, but this was like for like and very easy to fit;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-...mrL6KDmIkC4Wf0_QZcBoC3q8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We had a lightbulb that used to periodically unscrew itself, but that's nowhere near as strange as your situation.

The dials do become worn after a while (I just replaced one myself the other week).
Evening Mr F :)

I do get that things become worn after a period of time, but to have the dial go from zero, then turned all the way the highest setting (5) is weird - especially on a constant basis (well the last 2 weeks).

In front of the radiator is a sofa, so I’m wondering that people sitting down, and standing up from the sofa, is nudging the dial a little bit, although it’s never happened these past 8 years since we have been living here -just every day or sometimes twice a day for the past 2 weeks.

I’ll see what the engineer reckons.

Evening Mr F :)

I do get that things become worn after a period of time, but to have the dial go from zero, then turned all the way the highest setting (5) is weird - especially on a constant basis (well the last 2 weeks).

In front of the radiator is a sofa, so I’m wondering that people sitting down, and standing up from the sofa, is nudging the dial a little bit, although it’s never happened these past 8 years since we have been living here -just every day or sometimes twice a day for the past 2 weeks.

I’ll see what the engineer reckons.
Right. Yes an odd one.

Back