• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've searched for years to find out which tv series it was that addressed this issue in an Outer Limits type way. I've looked through the Outer Limits episode guide, The Twilight Zone, Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Tales of the Unexpected, Journey into the Unknown, all of which I watched avidly as a kid...can't find it.

Maybe someone else remembers it and can put me out of my misery?

Basically, there was a man in his home who experienced something not being where he had put it. Somehow, I can't remember the details, but he saw these little tiny people, who's job it was to reconstruct the atoms into the familiar objects we see all around us, as apparently they deconstructed at regular intervals. The people explained to him that on occasion, there is an error and something is reconstructed in the wrong place, hence we humans will swear we put it in one place, but find it somewhere else.

It was probably on the very late 60's early 70's. I wish I could find it again, as every time someone tells me a story like those above, I'll ask if they saw that tv show, and no one else remembers it!!

escargot1 said:
We have whole threads on losing things and then having them turn up in weird places, or asking spirits/goblins/dead relations to find them for us. :D

Linky please :D

I am not posting this on the UFO Forum because I no longer remember the exact date/time I thought I saw a UFO and the odd email I received after reporting it.

Travelling down the A12 towards Southwold, one morning in early Spring in 2009, I saw what I thought, absent mindedly, was a bright star, just above the tree line.

As I drove towards it, it hung, seemingly motionless. Then as I glanced up again, it looked to be a round, metallic silver ball and rapidly shot 'sideways' towards the coast, then it veered again and shot away from view in seconds.

I had seen aircraft from all angles during my childhood living on RAF camps and this seemed bizarre. I'd never seen an aircraft change direction twice in seconds.

I wondered if anyone would be interested, so contacted the local Southwold website. Someone responded that they were sending my 'sighting' to an interested party (I do wish I'd kept those emails, sorry to be vague) who would be in touch.

I got what I can only describe as a very negative and scoffing reply from someone. He dismissed my experience of years of plane watching and said he too had seen similar over a golf course and it was an aircraft with the sun reflecting off it. He also said that not one single UFO sighting had ever been proved to be genuine.

I had a little Men In Black moment! Who was this MAN????? Why was he bothering to respond to a 'deluded' female? There have been a lot of sightings over the water on this part of the coast and I am not far from Rendlesham. Makes you wonder?

Hypermetropia said:
I got what I can only describe as a very negative and scoffing reply from someone. He dismissed my experience of years of plane watching and said he too had seen similar over a golf course and it was an aircraft with the sun reflecting off it. He also said that not one single UFO sighting had ever been proved to be genuine.

I had a little Men In Black moment! Who was this MAN????? Why was he bothering to respond to a 'deluded' female?
Sounds like a run-of-the-mill debunker, determined to stay in his comfort zone. :roll:

This seems a typical UFO sighting to me. Maybe there's a 'rational' explanation, maybe not, but this should be in the UFO thread...

OK, you can't remember the date, but about what time of the morning was it? Pre-dawn, early, late? And where was the object relative to the road - ahead, left, right? Even better, can you remember which stretch of the A12 it was (ie, how far from Southwold)?

But Heavens Above shows four planets (including Venus) near the horizon in mid-March around dawn, so we really need to pin down the time more closely...

Hypermetropia said:
http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/uk/080719f.shtml

I was wondering after I posted, if anyone else had seen similar, and came across this - I hope it opens OK. If not, just google Southwold UFO! It was what I saw, a silver ball-like object.
No, that doesn't show a silver ball, more of a reddish muddy blob. Since it's not on the subsequent photos, I'd guess it was an insect or a speck of dust.

And the link has the placename mis-spelled - it should be Walberswick...

In reply, it would have been mid morning. I was on the stretch of the A12 between Blythburgh (I had just passed the White Hart Pub) and the turning for Southwold.

It was straight ahead of me. When motionless, it had all the appearance of a star. When it moved right, it was dull silver, metallic and round. When it shot forward (towards Lowestoft) it left no visible trail. There was light, patchy cloud, so I lost sight of it. (Plus I was driving!)

Hypermetropia said:
In reply, it would have been mid morning. I was on the stretch of the A12 between Blythburgh (I had just passed the White Hart Pub) and the turning for Southwold.

It was straight ahead of me. When motionless, it had all the appearance of a star. When it moved right, it was dull silver, metallic and round. When it shot forward (towards Lowestoft) it left no visible trail. There was light, patchy cloud, so I lost sight of it. (Plus I was driving!)
So you were heading roughly North, possibly NE, which rules out all the planets except Venus...

Which doesn't get us much forrader...

But I think we can rule out any connection between your sighting and an amorphous blob detected on a digital photo.

SHAYBARSABE said:
_Cobh_ said:
It was probably on the very late 60's early 70's. I wish I could find it again, as every time someone tells me a story like those above, I'll ask if they saw that tv show, and no one else remembers it!!

My husband suggests "A Matter of Minutes" from the New Twilight Zone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Matter_of_Minutes

Wow! Reading the episode description on the link, I'm sure that must have been it....THANK YOU!!

The weird thing is, I don't remember it being a couple, and I remember it in black and white, which is why I thought it was an oldie from the 60-70's, but it was in colour and in the 80's.
I probably mixed up a few memories of the series when recalling that episode over the years, but anyway, thanks so much for putting me out of misery! :)

I went to collect my 3-year-old daughter from nursery as usual a couple of months ago. Her pre-school is in an old house in a Cathedral precinct, with an 8-foot brick wall along the public side of the garden; the other side of the garden looks over more gardens, and has no view of the Cathedral Green. To get into the garden you have to put in the code to open a solid wooden gate which completely fills the archway.

Anyway, it was a nice day, so I could hear that some of the children were out playing as I approached. I put in the code and opened the gate, and almost immediately spotted my daughter on the other side of the garden, talking to the adult on duty. This woman looked round and saw me, and almost jumped.

"That's odd," she said to me, "Willow just said to me that her mummy was coming."

Now my daughter's in After-School Club, and I tend to be quite consistent in the time I collect her; but there are no clocks in the garden, and she's not mastered telling the time yet, so even if the duty adult was wearing a watch it's unlikely she could have read the time from it. There's no way she could have seen me approaching. I'm inclined to think that it was one of those strange coincidences, but maybe, just maybe, she 'sensed' me coming!!

It's said that telepathic ability is more prevalent in children, isn't it?

We're getting a lot of low flying jet aircraft here right now. Helicopters are common, and occassional jet trainers, but they're more often out over the bay, not flying low over town.

And it's out of office hours - are we at war?! :shock:

rynner2 said:
We're getting a lot of low flying jet aircraft here right now. Helicopters are common, and occassional jet trainers, but they're more often out over the bay, not flying low over town.

And it's out of office hours - are we at war?! :shock:

We had a jet flying really low over my office in Cambridge today. I wondered if it was the sudden bad weather that had forced the pilot down?

Doh! (Smashes head against keyboard..)
Falmouth Red Arrows display dazzles thousands
9:13am Thursday 13th August 2009
By James Toseland »

Thousands of people lined the streets of Falmouth last night to see the first Red Arrows display in the town for ten years.

As part of Falmouth Week, the legendary pilots zoomed across Penryn River, Customs House Quay and Falmouth docks, dazzling audiences with their formations and leaving a trail of red, blue and white smoke.

Because of the low cloud cover over Falmouth, the Reds were reduced to a “flat” display but that did not stop them producing oohs and aahs from the crowds, who were in their masses across Falmouth and over the river Fal in Flushing.

See a video of the Red Arrows’ display on thepacket.co.uk later on today and for more photographs and a full report, see the Packet next Wednesday.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... thousands/
At least I wasn't imaging things... :(

Annoying that I didn't know about the display though - I'd have been there with my camera.

I've just seen my first UFO!! A genuine UFO!!!

Not fifteen minutes ago a black triangle with soft round orange lights in each corner glided above me. It looked hazy and there's high light tonight cloud so it could have been above the cloud layer. To me it felt closer and it seemed to bank as it passed, heading toward South London. Didn't engage in any Oz factor :(

I had my video camera on me but alas I've nothing I'd want to show as evidence, it's quite murky. Nonetheless back out i go!!

mooks out

kmossel said:
Congrats, Mooks!

Thanks kmossei, I've always wanted to see one and last night I saw a "classic" and as is the nature of the "trickster" universe it would happen as I stepped out with a video camera for the first time. By the time the camera was recording it was too far away to pick out against the night sky with the little JVC I'm using. If only it had night vision!!

I stayed out for a few hours after and saw and filmed (again poor poor quality) some flashes in the sky to the north but low cloud was rolling in so it could be attributed to atmospheric conditions.

The Streatham sighting can be traced back to James Whales Radio Drivetime show and I suspect it was a hoax by the producers of the show. No one else seems to be the source.

anyhoo...I'm back in the garden again tonight just incase!

mooks out

Moooksta said:
I've just seen my first UFO!! A genuine UFO!!!

Not fifteen minutes ago a black triangle with soft round orange lights in each corner glided above me.

Thanks for the report, Mooks. My husband and I had been wondering whether all the black triangles were grounded.

as is the nature of the "trickster" universe it would happen as I stepped out with a video camera for the first time

Classic Oz factor

I was out for much of today. When I got home, there was a navy blue canvas fisherman's smock left on the handrail by my door. It was my size, but there was no note or telephone message.

I wondered if someone had found it in the laundry room, and assumed it was mine (although I've never worn one). But it seemed new, rather than just washed, and there was some dust and debris in the pockets.

It's similar to the ones we sold in the chandlery where I used to work, but that was nearly 18 months ago. Did they somehow discover a spare one, and decide to give it to me? (Unlikely!) But if so, how did they get past the outer door? Anyway, the creases in it don't match the folds in the ones we sold.

Other possibilities - it was meant for someone else, and left by my door by mistake.

Or maybe the Cosmic Joker is just trying to cheer me up - I've been rather depressed today...

Anyhow, a blue smock and a white pyramid - it's been quite a Fortean day! 8)

Mystery solved - the smock was left by the Warden here, who retires next month, and is disposing of surplus belongings before she moves out!

This might be Precognition, or it might be Coincidence, so I'll post it here instead!

Today I was on a bus passing through Penryn. (Not unusual - 90% of buses leaving Falmouth pass through Penryn.) But today, for some reason, I happened to notice the house where a one-time poster on this MB used to live.

Now I've not seen or thought of Sidecar Jon for ages, but a couple of minutes later we passed him getting out of a car! :shock:

Sidecar doesn't even seem to be on our membership list any more, but just in case he happens to read this... :hello: :D

Tiny bit of weirdness here.....
I just got back from our council tip after taking some garden rubbish there. Attached to the side the skip there was a radio that someone had obviously chucked away but worked, and one of the workers there had it going for a bit of music while he worked. It was a cheap, tinny thing and sounded awful. The makers name on it was 'SEAL'. I was quite astonished that the song playing was 'Crazy' by Seal.
I did say a TINY bit of weirdness.

Weird ... Just returned from a concert featuring Mahler's Ninth symphony. My wife and I were very much unimpressed and our consensus was: "Don't know why this is considered a masterpiece. The last movement is nice but the rest is quite fuzzy late romantic music."

But I had also made an illegal recording of the concert and now that I'm listening to it at home, on my headphones, the music is JUST GREAT. It seems totally different, but of course it's the same music that I found a bit flat and uninspired a few hours ago. My wife also agrees that the recording has a very different effect from the original.

If you want to check for yourself, there should be a life and legal recording of this same concert here:
http://rotterdam.radio4.nl/webcast/webcast.html

So far this morning I've not been able to reach the BBC News website. The progress bar fills up as normal, but then - nothing!

Other websites work OK, and I can post here, etc, so my connection seems OK.

Not having the Beeb seems weird!

Years ago, I woke up one morning, and my radio, tuned to Radio 4, appeared to be talking in Russian! Eventually I realised it was actually an hour earlier than I first thought, and I was listening to a BBC World Service broadcast! (Nowadays this frequency is still used for the World Service at night, but it's all in English. I guess other languages are off on different frequencies now.)

The Beeb news website is now back, but it must have been unavailable for at least two hours. Did anyone else have a problem with it?

rynner2 said:
The Beeb news website is now back, but it must have been unavailable for at least two hours. Did anyone else have a problem with it?
Yes indeed - it was definitely the Beeb and not my computer (or yours!) because other sites worked absolutely fine. As you say, though, it seems to be OK again now.

Back