• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The adsl filter is not a 'line splitter' - it allows you to plug in your RJ11 adsl cable (for your adsl router/modem) into your female BT modular socket and has another female BT socket on it so you can also still use a phone.

It also does clever magic to prevent interference between the two services (phone and tinternet), which is why you should have one in every phone socket in use in your house, not just the one where your router/modem is plugged in.

_Lizard23_ said:
The adsl filter is not a 'line splitter' - it allows you to plug in your RJ11 adsl cable (for your adsl router/modem) into your female BT modular socket and has another female BT socket on it so you can also still use a phone.
Oooh, picky, picky! I used the term line splitter initially because it does give two different outputs from the same phone line. There are simple line splitters without any electronics in 'em - I had one when I was on dial-up. It allowed computer and phone to be both plugged in together, although the phone didn't work while you were online.

Anyhow, as I said above, the device I have now is called a Broadband Splitter/Filter. 8)

rynner2 said:
_Lizard23_ said:
Oooh, picky, picky! I used the term line splitter initially because it does give two different outputs from the same phone line. There are simple line splitters without any electronics in 'em - I had one when I was on dial-up. It allowed computer and phone to be both plugged in together, although the phone didn't work while you were online.

Anyhow, as I said above, the device I have now is called a Broadband Splitter/Filter. 8)
Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to sound as patronising as I probably did - as you say, there are doodahs for plugging multiple BT connectors in to a single socket, and I suppose the adsl filter does 'split'.

My main point, really, was about how important it is to use them for phones on extensions etc as this was a common cause of call-outs for slow or intermittant internet access when I was doing IT support stuff.

_Lizard23_ said:
Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to sound as patronising as I probably did - as you say, there are doodahs for plugging multiple BT connectors in to a single socket, and I suppose the adsl filter does 'split'.

My main point, really, was about how important it is to use them for phones on extensions etc as this was a common cause of call-outs for slow or intermittant internet access when I was doing IT support stuff.

I don't think you sounded patronising.

In fact I think you should kick Rynner in the happy-sacks and then point and laugh at him whilst shouting "Luddite!" :D

Sorry Rynner! I'm just making a silly post. ;)

rynner2 said:
_Lizard23_ said:

Ah! In that case, if it's not one of the little splitters, but an adsl broadband modem that's providing both your internet and telephone connections, then if your telephone is acting up, try unplugging the modem from the mains and then plugging it back in again.

We have a similar problem with our adsl broadband modem, the telephone connection occasionally stops working, and that's how we fix it. It resets the modem.

Today I found this news story:
Mobile mast blamed for cancer cluster
A mobile phone mast is being blamed for a huge spate of fatal cancers and ill health in a small village.
Published: 7:30AM BST 09 Apr 2010

Half of the residents of Buckler, Cornwall, have complained of ill health since the structure was installed two years ago.

They believe the 02 mobile phone mast has contributed to the death of eight residents from cancer since it was erected in 2007 and is also linked to two more cases just diagnosed with the disease.

Residents in 75 homes in the village near St Austell now say they live in constant fear with many experiencing severe headaches, vertigo, depression and lack of sleep.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... uster.html
I thought that might be a candidate for the 'Radiation and Health' thread, but I didn't recognise the name of the village. Neither did Multimap.com, Streetmap.co.uk, or Google Maps!!

A bit more googling revealed the 'village' to be a mobile home park in the eastern suburbs of St Austell, and the Ordnance Survey map of the area shows disused tips and industrial sites nearby. The article concludes:
Malcolm Sperrin, director of medical physics at the Royal Berkshire Hospital said: "It is terrible that so many people are getting cancer in this village

"No one can say there isn't a link between mobile phone mast transmissions and cancer.
"But there's nothing to support it either.

"The trouble is you can never quite know.
"A number of factors could be involved - for example a change in chemicals which are used in the area, could have caused the high cancer incidence rate and the disease does occur in clusters."
Also, natural radioactivity in Cornwall is higher than average because of the geology. So the major mystery of this alleged cancer cluster still remains, but at least I now know where Buckler Village is. 8)

Travelling pants?

Thought this was rather strange and odd today.
A couple of years back my youngest complained that she hadn't got her good grey pants back after putting them out to be washed. She moved out a couple of months back so there's just my other daughter and I and we are nowhere near as slim as she is.
Well I was hanging out the washing from the last couple of days and guess what? Amongst the wash were these grey pants. We never wear grey and I remember going through everything when they originally went missing so I've no idea how they reappeared.
The washing machine has changed and everything was taken out of the laundry awhile ago so it could be painted. Anyway she's coming tomorrow to be reunited with them.

A couple of months ago, I had to have in and out surgery at a hospital. This necessitated my showing my insurance card at two different doctors' offices, a pharmacy, a radiological center, and then the hospital (I list all these different places to illustrate how many times I needed to have my card with me). Then a few days after surgery, I stopped by the office of the first doctor to pay a small bill, where I just handed the receptionist the invoice and payment without needing to show them my card and for which I received a receipt.

A months and a half later, in the mail I received an envelope from the office of this doctor. In it was my insurance card and nothing else. Not having the world's best memory, I thought maybe I had handed it over when I stopped by there even though chances are low the receptionist wouldn't have noticed it and handed it back as they do. But when I when to put it in my wallet - there was my original insurance card in its usual slot.

I now have two insurance cards after mmmffffty years of having only one and no idea how the doctor's office sent me a card that I already had in my possession.

Are the cards absolutely identical?
Perhaps the other one is from an alternate dimension... ;)

solsticebelle said:
I now have two insurance cards after mmmffffty years of having only one and no idea how the doctor's office sent me a card that I already had in my possession.
I love this kind of "institutional" weirdness (draft cards sent to 3-year-olds, tax warnings to the deceased, etc)! And your story puts a new spin on that.

Did you ever get a chance to ask the doctor's office that sent you the second card where it came from?

kmossel said:
I love this kind of "institutional" weirdness (draft cards sent to 3-year-olds, tax warnings to the deceased, etc)!
Just this evening I heard a story about a local doctor's surgery, requesting that a certain patient should make an appointment for a check-up - although he died six months ago!

At the beginning of March I had some tests done that my doctor wanted to see, went a week later and got the results. Two weeks after that I had a phone call from the lab saying I needed to have the tests done again as they had lost the results and to go to a centre I don't attend to get a collection bottle. I explained that I go to another centre but she didn't seem interested and gave me instructions how to get there.
I rang my Clinic where they have the centre I attend, the girl got my results up and said " You already have the results" I asked if my doctor wanted another lot as she'd been pleased, so she went and asked and came back saying " No, you don't need more tests".
I can only presume that someone with the same name who attends the other clinic needs to have more tests.

So, it was warm on Sunday morning and the dulcet tones of an ice cream van had my wife sending me out to purchase Mr Whippies finest Whale-fat products....ewww. I had a cider ice lolly and the combined price was £1.70. So I gave him a fiver and he gave me back £3.30. Nothing odd there. Except as he gave me my change he did that backwards counting thing "so..£3.30 and £4.30 and £4.80 and 20p makes five" is roughly what he should have said. But he didn't. He said "and eighteen and seventeen and five makes ten", Which bared no relation to the transaction. I wonder if his maths is dire (he used a calc to add up the two products) and he just makes up the rest as he thinks it's "what you do" as you give someone their change.

Anyway, the thread is called "Minor strangeness" so it seemed appropriate.

linesmachine said:
He said "and eighteen and seventeen and five makes ten"...

Anyway, the thread is called "Minor strangeness" so it seemed appropriate.
I think that's exactly what this thread is for! Not earth-shattering weirdness, but simply odd behaviour which makes you wonder what the heck is going on. What on Earth could have been going through the guy's mind when he said that?

Tbh, the weekend just gone witnessed several financial mishaps. My card was "declined" in the supermarket. I went to a cash point, withdrew £50 from the same account and went and paid for my shopping. It's happened several times before so I wasn't that phased by it.

As for the Ice Cream van, I reckon he just goes through the motions, maybe Canon and Gigue in G via electric bells has addled his mind.

linesmachine said:
Tbh, the weekend just gone witnessed several financial mishaps. My card was "declined" in the supermarket. I went to a cash point, withdrew £50 from the same account and went and paid for my shopping.

Same sort of thing here, only several thousand miles away from you. Went to get my prescription from the pharmacy, and my card was declined, as was my husband's. I wrote a check. However, as we left the establishment, another cashier's register was spewing register tape!

Went to the bank and withdrew cash through the ATM with no problem.

linesmachine said:
Tbh, the weekend just gone witnessed several financial mishaps. My card was "declined" in the supermarket. I went to a cash point, withdrew £50 from the same account and went and paid for my shopping. It's happened several times before so I wasn't that phased by it.

My Debit card has ALWAYS been declined by our local COSTCO, nowhere else. I have called the bank and they have no idea why. I thought it must be the card but I got a new one 6 months ago when the old one expired and that does not work.

At the local college today, a chap asked me why I hadn't answered him when he'd greeted me in the street t'other week.

He told me where this apparently happened and when, and said I was with a man, and the weather was awful.

I certainly was there at that time, with Techy, in the sleet, taking opportunistic photos of a hole in the wall of a bank where a cash machine has been removed. ;)

Thing is though, neither Techy nor I saw him. Also, the bank has been closed and boarded up for some time now, but the bloke said he saw me hurrying into it, presumably to do bank-business.

Techy reckons the chap was astrally projecting. :lol:

Mythopoeika said:
Are the cards absolutely identical?
Perhaps the other one is from an alternate dimension... ;)

Yes, they are absolutely identical, other than the one I received in the mail having a small black smudge on it, as if somebody had stepped on it.

I'm still baffled!

Mysterious marks near Mullion
12:14pm Monday 19th April 2010

We have all heard of crop circles, but chalk circles? Mysterious round marks have been spotted along the coast path between the Polurrian Hotel and Mullion Cove, with a larger one spotted in Lender Lane in Mullion.

Roland Lowery, who photographed the strange marks, said: “They look as if someone has been filling a bucket with white dust and left a perfect circle on the ground.”

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/81 ... on/?ref=mr

“They look as if someone has been filling a bucket with white dust and left a perfect circle on the ground.”

After looking at the photo I would argue that it really DOESN'T look like the above description. It looks like someone has drawn a pretty rough chalk circle on the ground.

Have any babies gone missing in the area...? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caucasian_Chalk_Circle

Or someone's been painting something and left a bucket that's got paint on its bottom on the grass, it's far from a perfect circle. Must be a quiet newsday down there....

Timble2 said:
Must be a quiet newsday down there....
Quite a busy newsday, for here!

Makes a change from weddings and village fetes! :D

An episode of X-files that I watched just recently had a plot line about a guy who reanimated corpses to do his dirty work. In order to protect himself from the monster he created he would sprinkle a small circle of dust around him (can't remember if it was grave dirt, or just chalk, or what)....so I wonder if there have been any reports of 'zombie' activity etc.

Either that or the aforementioned 'Roland Lowery' saw the same program then went out and copied it(probably by putting a bucket on the floor as a template), took photos, sold to someone, etc. Maybe it'll generate just a handful of extra visitors to the area for the summer...

trevp66 said:
Either that or the aforementioned 'Roland Lowery' saw the same program then went out and copied it(probably by putting a bucket on the floor as a template), took photos, sold to someone, etc.
The Falmouth Packet wouldn't pay for a picture like this! Some years ago they would pay £10 for a photo used in the paper, but with the advent of digital photography and mobile phone cams, they have realised that hundreds of people are prepared to submit their images for free.

I did sell them a couple of photos maybe ten years ago - if I have a payment notification, it might be worth a bit now as an historical document!

By contrast, after our one day of snow last winter, they used two of my photos without even a picture credit! (And they got the caption totally wrong on one of them.. :evil: )

trevp66 said:
An episode of X-files that I watched just recently had a plot line about a guy who reanimated corpses to do his dirty work. In order to protect himself from the monster he created he would sprinkle a small circle of dust around him (can't remember if it was grave dirt, or just chalk, or what)....so I wonder if there have been any reports of 'zombie' activity etc.

The big scene in The Devil Rides Out (in the book, too, I assume) sees the goodies protected from the occult by a chalk circle too. Or was it salt?

Back