• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Spudrick68 said:
It was one of my favourite episodes and was based on a Jewish tradition of the Golem. see linky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

:D

Yeah that's right, Golem, that was the one...

Ya see, my memory is really good but it always seems to miss out the vital bits, hahahaha

So I suggest go and lick the circles, see if they're ...ahem...'salty'....and if they are, then go looking for golems. Solved!
Didn't Bart Simpson have a Golem?

I was up late last night sewing together a jacket for one of my daughter's dolls. The TV was off, and the living room window slightly open as I had been burning some incense sticks. At around 2am I was just about to call it a night when I heard what I can only describe as a wailing/moaning sound coming from somewhere outside.

At first I dismissed it as being a cat or something, but as it went on I started to take a little more notice and realised that it sounded like it was coming from a human. To be more exact it sounded like a young male who's voice hadn't broken that long ago. We very often get people coming home from the pub passing our house and making a right old racket at all hours of the night, especially on Friday and Saturday nights but I had a quick look out of the window and saw no one out there.

I decided to investigate further (I'm a nosy bugger) and went outside my frond door for a better listen. The sound seemed like it was coming from just past a bend in our road, just beyond where I could see. It was a kind of wailing, at times almost screaming sound, interspersed with whoops and what sounded like actual words yelled. It almost sounded like someone was in terrible pain.

For some reason I suddenly felt a bit spooked and hastily went inside (promptly checking all doors and windows were locked, images of some loony on the prowl with a big axe or something :lol: )

It definitely wasn't an animal, such as a cat/fox or the like (I spent a few years living on a farm being gently lulled to sleep most nights by the sound of foxes crying and yelling)
I could still hear the wailing even after I shut the window, and it seemed to go one for about 10 minutes or so, then stopped.

Chez1807...have you checked in the daylight? I'm on the edge of my seat here wondering if you've been out there during the safety of the daytime and found a badly injured...or worse..young man??? :shock:

cheeky381 said:
Chez1807...have you checked in the daylight? I'm on the edge of my seat here wondering if you've been out there during the safety of the daytime and found a badly injured...or worse..young man??? :shock:

Yep. I had to walk down the road to go and get some some milk the very next morning. Nothing at all amiss. I have asked around and no one else seems to have heard anything either.

I'm putting it down to kids messing about or something... maybe :shock:

I just thought of another minor oddity.

In my front hallway is a small table, the open bottom shelf of which contains a stack of thick phone books, on the top one of which was a lint roller. One morning I came downstairs and found one of the phone books lying on the floor, with the lint roller still on the top book in the stack. I live alone except for a couple of cats.

I know the books were flush against the back wall because just the day before I had pushed them back as far as they would go in order to bring some new furniture into the house. None of them has ever fallen, before or since. They are just too heavy and secure where they are.

Anyway, as I was staring at the phone book on the floor in puzzlement, I felt a breeze and realized I'd accidentally left the patio door open all night. Except for the book on the floor, all was as I had left it the night before.

There's probably no connection but I can't help but think something was trying to get my attention by dropping a heavy book on the vinyl flooring. Of course that would be more minor strangeness in itself.

solsticebelle said:
I just thought of another minor oddity.

One morning I came downstairs and found one of the phone books lying on the floor, with the lint roller still on the top book in the stack. I live alone except for a couple of cats.

I'd never assume that cats aren't the cause; however, maybe something wants you to use the lint roller?

Mythopoeika said:
Or, maybe he is the new Number 6? ;)

Somehow this rings a bell. Is that a quotation from somewhere?
Or is he nr 6 from the 36? (These are always 36 tzaddikim in the world.)

It was a quiet cold day yesterday,children at school people at work. In the Court where I live, noone about at all. Then I heard a ball bounce. Looked out of the window and there was a ball bouncing on the road, but noone with it or in the nearby houses.
It was still there when I left to take a cake to a friend whose husband is in hospital, and it's still there this morning. It would have had to be a tremendous kick to have come from another street. Just thought it was odd.

How big was the ball?
If it was tennis ball size, a bird may have dropped it.

Some years ago in Cornwall I was v. amused to see a seagull trying to "crack" a tennis ball by banging it on the roof of the cafe, where I was sitting!

People can kick a ball a really long way though (look at goal kicks in football), it could've been some local lad booting his friends ball over the roof of nearby buildings 'for a laugh'.

It was an Australian rules size football, a bit big for any birds around here, even the crows. someone may have kicked it from the next street but it would have to have been a mighty kick as the blocks are long and there are large trees etc. It was gone tonight so someone must have taken it.
It was a funny day, one friend told me her doorbell rang and she and her partner went to open it, expecting me and there was noone there or anywhere near, the other had left her front door open and it's hard to move as it sticks on the carpet, but it quietly closed by itself as she watched.

I have a lamp that has started turning itself on.

It's one of those lamps that doesn't have a switch. Instead, it has a metal base that you touch to turn it on. The bulb has 3 settings and each time this has happened, it has been on the middle setting, meaning that the metal based had to be touched twice.

Perhaps there could be technical, non-strange reasons why this could be happening. However, it has never happened before until this week, when it happened two nights in a row, in the early AM.

I unplugged it this morning before I came downstairs.

ETA: This lamp is on a bookcase in my guestroom. It is not connected to a wall switch and is basically a decorative lamp that is rarely used.

We have one of those. It often flashes as if it's coming on when nobody's touching it. We only notice when the room is dark.

I think it's doing the same as yours, only more. ;)

It is to all intents and purposes summer here (peaches, okra, corn, squash at the farmer's market, temperatures in the 90s) though not really hot, defined as "not getting cool at night." My yard, aka "the jungle," is the healthiest it's been in years, with the dill up to my chin, a reasonable mix of flowers I planted along with the mavericks, plenty of pollinating bugs, birds, and the occasional glimpse of other wildlife such as skunks, racoons, possums, and tortoises. A couple of different species of bees work the property, though I don't know where they live. Three years ago the people working on the porch said I had bees or hornets (contradictory reports) coming and going from an opening in the eaves, but I haven't found a nest in the attic and I don't see them when I'm reading on the balcony.

Thursday, I found a large number of dead and dying bees in the enclosed back porch (very run down, slated for work this fall or early next year). My husband said they had started appearing in the powder room the night before trying to get out through the windows, which are seldom opened because they don't stay but won't open wide enough to prop up with any of the handy sticks. By morning maybe 50 littered the floors of the bathroom and adjacent laundry room, but not in the sun room; I also found a couple of dozen little bee corpses in the ironing room above the sun room, but not in the storage rooms above the laundry and powder room.

Not enough for a viable hive to have met with an accident while swarming (I don't think), and the distribution pattern is odd. The laundry room and powder room are in terrible shape, with the integrity of the floors and ceilings compromised, and the ironing room ceiling is damaged, but it's as nothing compared to the bee-free storage room, referred to as "the pigeon room" because the ceiling is in such bad shape and pigeons live right above it - we only store things there in secure covered containers and my husband, who has the immune system of a wet paper sack, isn't allowed to go in. If ease of passage from the attic were the key factor in where the bees landed, this room would have been ankle-deep in them.

No smell of poison. No effect (alas) on the fruit flies that reinfest my compost bucket as fast as I wash it, or the butterflies, or the ladybugs. No sign of dead bees in the jungle, but that doesn't prove anything they'd be hard to see in all that thriving vegetation or in the crawlspace under the house.

So I'm saying it's Just One of Those Things, and watching for bees in the flowers.

Hi PeniG,
I wonder why they were in some rooms and not in others?
The way the bees are dying off is strange and quite alarming.
We live in south west Wales and went a walk with the dog yesterday, down the trim trail. It was a sunny day, the track was carpeted with wild flowers and the trees were heavy with blossom, but the hum of bees was absent, in fact the only bee we saw in the good mile or so we walked, was a dead bumble bee on the path.
There have been no honey bees at all this year, that we have seen.
We have seen a few bumble bees and one or two we weren't sure of, untill we looked them up and it turns out they are called "solitary bees", that live alone.
There is one living in our garden, which is doing a heroic job of polinating all our fruit and veg.
I hope you discover some bees in your garden and hopefully others on the board can report seeing them too.
I went to a meeting recently called "Plan Bee" and they sugested we plant plenty of meadow flowers for them, which we did. but there are flowers everywhere at the moment, and still no bees.
Didn't Einstein say, four years after the bees go, we go?
Chilling.

I've never seen that supposed "Einstein quote" with any kind of citation and it's hard to imagine circumstances which would cause him to make the remark. In any case, since bee ecology isn't part of theoretical or quantum physics, his opinion on the subject isn't worth any more than any other layman's. Many important crops aren't pollinated by bees, but by wind. A world without bees would be impoverished in a lot of ways, but that single factor wouldn't take out humanity.

Certainly honeybees are not essential to human life, though we'd all miss them if they were gone. Honeybees are not native to America; American bees that don't produce honey in commercially available quantities did a fine job of pollination before Europeans came with their "white men's flies." Because they don't have people tending them, no one has noticed whether native bees are also collapsing or not.

My most knowledgeable environmentalist friend says that colony collapse has been gone through and recovered from before. I've never investigated this myself. I didn't put this incident under Bees partly because Minor Strangeness was easier to find and because there aren't enough dead bees to have been an entire hive collapsing. I'm not even sure they were honeybees.

IMHO, if there's a bee shortage it's at least partly because people kill them wholesale when they swarm and hire people to "remove" (i.e. slaughter) them when they find a hive on their property; an action only defensible if a family member is allergic. If you leave bees alone, they'll leave you alone.

Hi PeniG,
Thanks for the reply, I hope it turns out your American bees are ok and I agree about the slaughter of bees nests.

Hi Rynner2
Thanks for the links, thats going to keep me busy.
I'm only just now, starting to find my way round the board.
Its a full time job reading prievious threads on so many interesting topics and then trying to remember them all,
(but well worth the effort!)

This afternoon a bloke sat in the train wearing a pink T-shirt, dark glasses, huge watch, 30-ish, concert goer like looking. Around his neck he wore a rosary, I suppose like jewelry, not out of religiosity. And he was reading a book and he had the end of the rosary in his mouth and was sucking on it, probably not really conscious what he was doing. Like teenage girls sucking their hair. It was really weird seeing someone sucking on a crucifix :D

Sucking On A Crucifix - sounds like a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song.

Your mouth was made to
- suck my crucifix!

:lol:

Back