• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That reminds me of a strange thing that happenened to me one morning a couple of years ago.

I woke up, and the first thing I was aware of, in front of me, was what looked like a course burlap material. The material agricultural sacks are made of.
The image was very detailed and sharp. I could see the fibres criss-crossing and weaving in and out of each other.
I even saw loose fibres broken and sticking out at angles from the main thread.

Trying to make sense of this my first thought was I had a sack over or near my face, so I moved my head up - and my eyes adjusted and their focus expanded to see the cotton fabric pillow case I was lying on.

In my sleep, the eye closest to the pillow was opened slightly and in the morning light it had focused, in extreme close - up on the fine cotton material, magnifiying it like a microscope.

Never experienced that before or since. Strange !

In my sleep, the eye closest to the pillow was opened slightly and in the morning light it had focused, in extreme close - up on the fine cotton material, magnifiying it like a microscope.

I wear specs to see things clearly over about six feet away but once or twice I've awoken to find that I have perfectly clear vision. After a blink or two it's back to normal blurriness.

Your post has reminded me that when I was about nine years old my mother had gone on a long car journey to buy me a puppy. It seemed like a long time for a nine year old, in reality about four hours and for a nine year old that might as well be four years.

I was sleeping on the couch, for some reason I think I might have been slightly ill because what I remember seeing had all the hallmarks of a fever dream. In the fabric of the sofa, really close-up, I made out the face of a Boxer dog.
Yes, this was the breed of dog we were about to own and I remember lying there for a long time, knowing that what I was seeing would vanish if I moved even a tiny bit.
I did of course move eventually and couldn't find it again however hard I tried, but I didn't have long to worry about it as a new dog entered our household quite soon after.

The sofa was (1970's) from memory, very felt, brown and highly patterned.

Last edited by a moderator:
A slightly strange coincidence.

A lot of years ago I worked in Iraq. And one day I was sat on a plane at Heathrow awaiting departure back to Baghdad.

I'd brought along a book to pass the time, and the First Officer, on passing my aisle seat, noticed the title and said 'strange choice'.

The book was 'The ghost of flight 401'.

And we were on a Lockheed Tristar ( aka L1011). And, of course, Flight 401 was an L1011.

In the film the ghost of the deceased pilot of Flight 401 states ' there will never be another accident with an L1011'.

Actually he was mistaken. There was one more to come.

I liked the Tristar. Possibly more than the Boeing 747.

INT21

One of my favourite books! I've owned several copies. I gave one to Escette when she was living in Switzerland and needed something to read on the flight over...

There's a hardback edition of it at the top of the stairs which I keep noticing. Might have to give it another go.

One of my favourite books! I've owned several copies. I gave one to Escette when she was living in Switzerland and needed something to read on the flight over...

There's a hardback edition of it at the top of the stairs which I keep noticing. Might have to give it another go.

My first ever Kindle book was that one.

Never experienced that before or since. Strange !

I experience that too, quite often in fact.

I can see the ridges in the weave of the thread in great detail (if slightly blurry). I think it works best when my eyes are very relaxed, just after or during waking up.

I wear specs to see things clearly over about six feet away but once or twice I've awoken to find that I have perfectly clear vision. After a blink or two it's back to normal

This has happened to me a couple of times over the years too, I have never really taken it in properly until my vision has gone back to its blurry old self.

There was a story I remember hearing in the 90s about an elderly man in the south side of Glasgow who was at home one afternoon and suddenly heard a deafeningly loud bang on his head and found that he suddenly had perfect eyesight for that first time in decades.

...suddenly heard a deafeningly loud bang on his head ...

I've had that a couple of times over the years. But never noticed any change due to it.

I suspect it is some neuron either breaking or making a connection.

Quite weird when it happens. Sort of 'What the hell was that ?'.

INT21

...suddenly heard a deafeningly loud bang on his head ...

I've had that a couple of times over the years. But never noticed any change due to it.

I suspect it is some neuron either breaking or making a connection.

Quite weird when it happens. Sort of 'What the hell was that ?'.

INT21

Sounds like Exploding Head Syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Cause unknown.

A slightly strange coincidence.

A lot of years ago I worked in Iraq. And one day I was sat on a plane at Heathrow awaiting departure back to Baghdad.

I'd brought along a book to pass the time, and the First Officer, on passing my aisle seat, noticed the title and said 'strange choice'.

And we were on a Lockheed Tristar ( aka L1011). And, of course, Flight 401 was an L1011.

In the film the ghost of the deceased pilot of Flight 401 states ' there will never be another accident with an L1011'.

Actually he was mistaken. There was one more to come.

I liked the Tristar. Possibly more than the Boeing 747.

INT21

Wasn't the main issue that the crew was focused on the stuck landing gear rather than flying the plane? That and accidentally unlocking the autopilot?

Something like that. And that the Altimeter was difficult to see from the position of the person flying the plane at the time.

INT21.

That's a remarkable experience. How did the book get into the top of the stairs, where you keep noticing it?

There's a box of books up there that I meant to put in a bedroom but I was distracted. So every time I go upstairs I see the books and especially that one.

I was woken up at 3am the other morning by the TV having apparently turned itself on. I know there must be some very mundane, very unparanormal explanation for this but it was strangely disturbing. It certainly unnerved me and I couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours afterwards.

I was woken up at 3am the other morning by the TV having apparently turned itself on. I know there must be some very mundane, very unparanormal explanation for this but it was strangely disturbing. It certainly unnerved me and I couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours afterwards.
Power cut/brown out resetting the standby mode?

Power cut/brown out resetting the standby mode?

I'm not sure as I haven't heard any mention of one. I was reading that low batteries on a remote control can sometimes turn a TV on, though I've not had to change them yet. I do leave the TV in standby mode so it must be something like that. Anyway, it's not happened since...

I'm not sure as I haven't heard any mention of one. I was reading that low batteries on a remote control can sometimes turn a TV on, though I've not had to change them yet. I do leave the TV in standby mode so it must be something like that. Anyway, it's not happened since...
If you got a cable decoder box connected to your TV it might be this one which triggers your TV to turn itself on. Some TVs are set to turn iteslf on if it gets a signal from a device connected to them. You can probably turn it off in the TV's settings.

Do you have a dog?
(Ours will sit on the remote and turn stuff on and off)

'Big Stormy' - what a wonderful cat name! :D
r6HLJ0u.jpg

Bit of a strange one, but... well last night as I was going to bed I switched on the internet radio to listen to ABC Radio Sydney as I always do.

Not long after, they were talking to someone who mentioned that there was an Amazon leak of email addresses. What I remember of it was:
The lady talking about it initially said it was in the USA and UK and that there was no word from Amazon as to how the email addresses got leaked, and no apology from them.
The DJ then asked her is it in Australia too, to which she replied 'just the USA so far' (I thought that was odd cos initially she'd said UK as well, but anyway).
She also said that Amazon had emailed the customers to tell them about it.
She then went on to talk about one or two other things (technology news perhaps?) I can't remember those though (probably cos I was busy noting this down).

I noted it down before going to sleep, to remember to change our Amazon password.

But when I woke up this morning, there's nothing about it; no email from Amazon, and nothing on the news that I can find.

I know I didn't dream this; the note about it was there this morning when I woke up and it takes me a long time to get to sleep and this was not very long after I'd gone to bed.

So question for anyone in Australia (or anyone not in Australia who listens to their radio) - did you hear this yesterday, were you listening to the radio at about that time? I went to bed a few minutes before the end of the 'breakfast show' with Robbie Buck and Wendy Hamer so I can't remember if they were being told about it by this other lady, or if it was the DJ after them who were being told. I think it was the breakfast show though.

Or has anyone seen owt about this in the news today?

I admit to being slightly puzzled.

We've changed our Amazon password anyway.

Back