Minor Strangeness

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Because there were train cancellations on my usual line this morning, I was obliged to drive to a different and quite remote station.
Was driving through some woods along the Surrey/Hants border around 7:00. The sun had just risen and driving conditions were good.
There was one other car perhaps 100 metres in front of me. I saw his brake lights come on and he slowed abruptly almost to a stop. I naturally slowed too - and spotted a sizeable animal running across the road from the treeline on the right, to some bushes on the left. The weird thing was, the animal appeared completely white. The car in front, that had almost hit the creature, drove on and, as I passed the spot where the animal had crossed,
I glanced to the left and saw a flash of white, as what was presumably the creature's backside disappeared into the undergrowth. This was definitely a quadruped and not a swan and I would say it was approximately golden retriever size, but it seemed to be galloping in a very low stance. I should add that these woods are fairly remote, with no houses anywhere near. Would love to know what animal it could have been!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Because there were train cancellations on my usual line this morning, I was obliged to drive to a different and quite remote station.
Was driving through some woods along the Surrey/Hants border around 7:00. The sun had just risen and driving conditions were good.
There was one other car perhaps 100 metres in front of me. I saw his brake lights come on and he slowed abruptly almost to a stop. I naturally slowed too - and spotted a sizeable animal running across the road from the treeline on the right, to some bushes on the left. The weird thing was, the animal appeared completely white. The car in front, that had almost hit the creature, drove on and, as I passed the spot where the animal had crossed,
I glanced to the left and saw a flash of white, as what was presumably the creature's backside disappeared into the undergrowth. This was definitely a quadruped and not a swan and I would say it was approximately golden retriever size, but it seemed to be galloping in a very low stance. I should add that these woods are fairly remote, with no houses anywhere near. Would love to know what animal it could have been!
An albino roe deer?

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I would say that is certainly plausible Max, but the creature I saw seemed somehow less upright and lower and more stockily streamlined than a deer.
How rare are albino deer?
US info:

"Some wildlife managers have estimated that leucism may manifest itself in 1-2% of all deer in a given regional population, although pure white deer are much more exceptional."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nature-up-close-white-deer-carl-mrozek/

"...the chances of an albino deer being born are about 1 in 20,000, according to John Bates, Wisconsin Northwoods naturalist and co-author of White Deer: Ghosts of the Forest. Other sources say the odds are closer to 1 in 30,000.

Although these are the most commonly quoted figures, several more sources refer to a Wisconsin study (not found yet) that estimates the odds at 1 in 42,500. Still another source says the number of albino births could be as low as 1 in 100,000."

https://protectthewhitedeer.com/albino-questions

If the animal was, as you say, lower to the ground and stockier, I'd change my suggestion from roe to muntjac:

maximus otter

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
A friend has posted on Facebook that he is watching a band, called Fat Albert I think. How come when I put Fat Albert band into Google he results show a grey square in the top left corner and no results?

Have a stumbled upon a back door into something really sinister or is my Google just being strange?

I wonder if men in black will soon be knocking on my door.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A friend has posted on Facebook that he is watching a band, called Fat Albert I think. How come when I put Fat Albert band into Google he results show a grey square in the top left corner and no results?

Have a stumbled upon a back door into something really sinister or is my Google just being strange?

I wonder if men in black will soon be knocking on my door.
Interestingly, that returns only 1 page of results for me (if I type in 'fat albert'). Doing a search on 'Fat Albert' yields more results.
I think Google is acting up.

packshaud

Junior Acolyte

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I seem to get mistaken for a man surprisingly often. I have just had someone ring my doorbell and ask for Tommy. Then he said, "Are you Tommy?" Um no. I am not. :wtf: I am really not very manly at all. It is very strange. I know the joke in Miranda is that she gets called Sir a lot but that is because of her height. I am 5'3".

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Spud, the only Fat Albert I know, was an American kids cartoon about the antics of an African American gang of kids, hope that helps.
Just come back from a trip to Canterbury, we had a problem with the Wi-Fi in Canterbury, couldn't get a signal. We may get a signal for a while and then it would go. Bloody annoying, but Canterbury was really good and will definetly go back there again.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
It wasn't a pig was it? They are usually quite unmistakable, but if you are surprised and not expecting to see it, and only catch a glimpse, then it could be a white (or mostly white) pig?

My minor strangeness of the day is that I woke up with the word 'recondite' in my head. I am aware of the word, but had to look up its meaning. Nothing recondite has yet happened though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I seem to get mistaken for a man surprisingly often. I have just had someone ring my doorbell and ask for Tommy. Then he said, "Are you Tommy?" Um no. I am not. :wtf: I am really not very manly at all. It is very strange. I know the joke in Miranda is that she gets called Sir a lot but that is because of her height. I am 5'3".
I know it's a stretch, but 'Tommy' could be a shortened version of 'Thomasina'.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Maybe. I am wondering if it was some sort of weird online thing and they had reason to suspect the person they were looking for was hiding their identity. I am not sure they were very bright though since they were looking for a different number and my number is on the door pretty big.