• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The first laundrette in the UK opened in 1949, reaching a peak in numbers in the 1980s. Would the gentleman's dress sense would be noticibly different from that today, even if he was from 40 years ago?
Seriously dude 40 years ago I was mostly wearing jeans and t shirts whereas now I mostly wear jeans and t shirts, but they are t shirts with different things on them!

...those different things being the same things from 40+ years ago now on comeback/reunion/paying-off-alimony tours...
I’ll grant the Toyah t shirts have a different picture but still there, same with Wakeman, Jarre et al but 40 years ago I never had an Edinburgh Fortean Society t shirt so ha! :). And there might be Dr Who t shirts in there somewhere as well.

The first laundrette in the UK opened in 1949, reaching a peak in numbers in the 1980s. Would the gentleman's dress sense would be noticibly different from that today, even if he was from 40 years ago?
Probably not - guess it depends how fashionable he was! I could totally tell someone dressed in different style to now (mid 00s it was all dangerously low slung jeans & big chunky belts, not like now), although the 90s appear to be back. Easier with females i think. And i like my clothes. And men in laundrettes, maybe not so much.

Jerusalem Artichokes are the very best vegetable that you might want to avoid.

I had some a few weeks ago. They were delicious, sautéed in butter, so I was inclined to disbelieve the warnings and ate half the pan full.

I had hours of indigestion and wind!

Oddly, I had eaten this vegetable some years before without any bad effects. Much as I hate to waste food, the remainder went in the bin. :(

This afternoon I was sitting in my car waiting for my daughter to buy something for lunch.
There was a chemist just in front and a man was walking around the front for quite a while.
He was carrying a green folded shopping bag.
After awhile a woman came out wearing a distinctive caramel coloured warm jacket and they both walked down the alley next to the chemist which leads to other shops.
A short time later I again saw the woman come out of the chemist, join him and go down the alley.
I had been watching people go by and had not seen them come back.
I was beginning to wonder if I was becoming stranger than usual.

Maybe your subconscious/survival instinct flagged their repeated exit without having sensed their return as an anomaly, and woke you up all the way? (Which wouldn't explain things if you were already awake all the way.)
Maybe they used an entrance in back and then came out the front? (Which wouldn't explain things if you are familiar with the place and know for certain it doesn't have an entrance in back.)
I'm just brainstorming . . .

There isn't a back entrance,.
I thought I was awake as I was looking at people coming along hoping that one of them was the driver of the delivery bus next to me which was blocking my view of traffic coming from the left when I would be trying to back out.
However the mind can do strange things so anything is possible.
Still can't work out how that doorstop rolled around the bookcase though lol.

That is a very lively doorstop, to be sure!

This afternoon I was sitting in my car waiting for my daughter to buy something for lunch.
There was a chemist just in front and a man was walking around the front for quite a while.
He was carrying a green folded shopping bag.
After awhile a woman came out wearing a distinctive caramel coloured warm jacket and they both walked down the alley next to the chemist which leads to other shops.
A short time later I again saw the woman come out of the chemist, join him and go down the alley.
I had been watching people go by and had not seen them come back.
I was beginning to wonder if I was becoming stranger than usual.

Ooh I had a similar thing where the same, very distinctive woman got off the bus twice. The bus did not have a back entrance either.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/weird-tales-from-reddit.47527/page-9#post-1714210

Not Fortean, but something very odd happened yesterday evening.

My eldest daughter (almost 18) has always detested my home made stew.

Even as a small child she would refuse to eat it, so whenever I made a pot ( about once a month in the winter months) I would always have to make her something else.

She does voluntary work at a local zoo, and came home last night and asked what was for dinner. I said that the rest of us all have stew, but I was prepared to buy her fish and chips, but she said that she wanted stew.

Surprised by this, I gave a small bowl thinking she’d have a few spoonfuls and turn her nose up, but she ate the lot and then asked for more.

I then gave her a man sized bowl, and she wolfed that down too, thanked me and went to her room, as if her eating stew was the most natural thing in the world.

It left the rest of the DT family looking at each other in disbelief.

Very odd.
Once my mother was in a night shift in the hospital she worked as a nurse, hungry and with no food. So she went for a little fridge robbery, and there was only a half avocado there. Which incidentally she detested, but ate, without any seasonings. Hunger is the best seasoning.

There was a happy end, she started to like it after that.

Be ready to cook more stew in the future.

It is strange how we accept the weirdest things by sheer force of habit, until someday at last we finally see.

I watched this a lot when I was a child:
tutubarao.jpg

Are these merfolk of some sort? What in the world is going on here?

Once my mother was in a night shift in the hospital she worked as a nurse, hungry and with no food. So she went for a little fridge robbery, and there was only a half avocado there. Which incidentally she detested, but ate, without any seasonings. Hunger is the best seasoning.

There was a happy end, she started to like it after that.

Be ready to cook more stew in the future.
Yup, I hate beetroot* but was once in a foreign country where beetroot is served at every opportunity. Even if you can't see the beetroot it's always there somewhere.

I had to learn to eat without looking too hard.

*Saw a classmate chuck some up when we were about 9. It somehow traumatised me.

I'll try to switch from pharts to philosophy :)

Saw a nice book in my favourite bookstore. One of the essays asks:
Is the United States Conscious?

That's a fascinating question. There are several links with more:
http://schwitzsplinters.blogspot.com/2011/10/is-united-states-conscious.html?m=1
https://faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/SchwitzAbs/USAconscious.htm
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11098-014-0387-8

Funny!
For reference, do you remember the name of the book?

Seriously dude 40 years ago I was mostly wearing jeans and t shirts whereas now I mostly wear jeans and t shirts, but they are t shirts with different things on them!
Ah yes, jeans. I'm down to one unit, that I bought a couple of years ago, because it was not full of poked holes. I don't think I stumbled over a proper one after that.

Yup, I hate beetroot* but was once in a foreign country where beetroot is served at every opportunity. Even if you can't see the beetroot it's always there somewhere.

*Saw a classmate chuck some up when we were about 9. It somehow traumatised me.
I have always loved beetroot, a couple of years ago I saw a jar of baby beetroot with the price reduced in Aldi, so bought it, first thing I did on returning home was start eating them, got half way through the jar and realised why they were so cheep, beetroot with chillies, one of the hottest things I've ever eaten, did not enjoy them.

I have always loved beetroot, a couple of years ago I saw a jar of baby beetroot with the price reduced in Aldi, so bought it, first thing I did on returning home was start eating them, got half way through the jar and realised why they were so cheep, beetroot with chillies, one of the hottest things I've ever eaten, did not enjoy them.

I've sometimes picked those up on the cheapo for Techy who likes both beetroot and chilies. He eats them on sandwiches with cheese or ham.
Hmm, blood-red urine AND ring-sting! I'm spoiling him.

It is strange how we accept the weirdest things by sheer force of habit, until someday at last we finally see.

I watched this a lot when I was a child:
View attachment 23802

Are these merfolk of some sort? What in the world is going on here?

Top right character is Shaggy moonlighting, along with one of the Pathetic Sharks.

I've sometimes picked those up on the cheapo for Techy who likes both beetroot and chilies. He eats them on sandwiches with cheese or ham.
Hmm, blood-red urine AND ring-sting! I'm spoiling him.
They are too hot for me, they burn going in and coming out !

Hmmm... beetroot, I love it. Pickled, that is. Cheese and beetroot sandwiches, oh yes.

I've had to do that whenever I eat with people who eat meat, something I'm not accustomed to doing having grown up in a family without meat. First time I ate with Mr Zebra's family.... twas a difficult experience. Food wise, that is.

For reference, do you remember the name of the book?

It's in this book. I would like to buy it but I've decide to abstain from buying more books during Lent, when I have so many unread ones:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44512557-a-theory-of-jerks-and-other-philosophical-misadventures

But you can find the whole chapter as a PDF here:
http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/SchwitzPapers/USAconscious-140721.pdf

But a materialist who accepts consciousness in weirdly formed aliens ought also to accept consciousness in spatially distributed group entities. If she then also accepts rabbit consciousness, she ought to accept the possibility of consciousness even in rather dumb group entities. Finally, the United States would seem to be a rather dumb group entity of the relevant sort. If we set aside our morphological prejudices against spatially distributed group entities, we can see that the United States has all the types of properties that materialists tend to regard as characteristic of conscious beings.

The in-house medic had lost a button off his trousers and left it on the side for me to re-attach, which I did today. Whilst I was about it, I also put away the extra button, which appeared at about Christmas and was supposedly from one of Son No 2's numerous pairs of shorts - but I have checked them all, and none have any buttons missing! So if anyone's lost one into an alternative dimension, I may have it in my sewing box. Let me know.

Biros. I have at least one in my inside coat pocket for a stab at the crossword on the train home. Biro comes out, biro goes back, next day biro comes out, biro goes back. Next day half a biro comes out .. how does the barrel unscrew and the spring disappear in my pocket overnight ? Not as if this is only happens once or twice or I don't check after use.

Back