• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Vampire Reports

As Wembley says - he is more of a ghoul than a vampire.

---------------------------
Police closing in on 'vampire'

Jan 22 2005

Police say they are confident of catching the crazed madman said to be responsible for the attack on a city family which has spiralled into an urban myth.

During an "isolated incident" of violent disorder in Ward End last month a man attacked several members of one family by biting them. He remains at large.

The incident sparked fear among thousands of residents and led to a spate of reports of further random attacks in the Alum Rock and Small Heath areas of the city. The Evening Mail is still being flooded with calls and e-mails from frightened families, with some reporting that they believe the attacker is infected with rabies.

But no victims have yet come forward since we reported the original incident on December 19 and there have still been no new incidents logged with West Midlands Police.

Today police revealed they were following up a new line of inquiry they hope will lead to the offender responsible for the only confirmed attack in December.

It is hoped an arrest will put an end to the vampire rumours that have spread to the city centre and into schools, universities and offices.

A police spokeswoman said: "Police are still investigating and are now following up a positive line of enquiry, which it is hoped will lead to the offender.

"But police would stress that was a self-contained incident - not being connected to any others - which most certainly does not involve a 'vampire on the loose' as some reports have suggested.

"Reports of vampires bear all the hallmarks of an urban myth fuelled by rumours and hearsay. Police will continue to investigate the specific incident at Alum Rock and hope to bring the offender to justice."

Source

A proper Urban Myth growing up that we can study!

I'm all exited now :)

fluffle said:
i think it might be true. my flatmate works in Alum Rock and her colleague claims she got bitten.

she was in a pub, and this bloke came up and said "i'm going to kidnap you." She said that he wouldn't get a ransom, and he said "no, i'm just going to kidnap you and ravish you all weekend." she told him to go away and he bit her on the arm. then he bit her friend on the cheek.

Ofcorse I don't mean to say anything about you as a person Fluffle but...it's a bit FOAF isn't it?

Alistair P said:
Try again...

WILL NO ONE SAVE US FROM THESE EVIL VAMPIRE HORDES?

you must be getting a sore through from all that paniced shouting.

Want a strepsil?

The Virgin Queen said:
Ofcorse I don't mean to say anything about you as a person Fluffle but...it's a bit FOAF isn't it?

oh yes, especially for you lot on here, but that doesn't mean i can't think it could be true.

it seems to have been judged as an urban legend largely from the fact that nobody has gone to the police or hospital claiming to have been bitten. but personally if a strange bloke came up and bit me, i don't think i'd bother going to casualty or telling the cops unless he bit pretty hard (and the report of a woman with a "chunk" taken out of her hand was probably an exaggeration).

fluffle said:
oh yes, especially for you lot on here, but that doesn't mean i can't think it could be true.

it seems to have been judged as an urban legend largely from the fact that nobody has gone to the police or hospital claiming to have been bitten. but personally if a strange bloke came up and bit me, i don't think i'd bother going to casualty or telling the cops unless he bit pretty hard (and the report of a woman with a "chunk" taken out of her hand was probably an exaggeration).

I'd tend to think that if the skin had been broken most people would go to the hospital - I know i would.

...ofcorse it could still be true (I am a Fortean afterall :D )

The Virgin Queen said:
...ofcorse it could still be true (I am a Fortean afterall :D )

Hmmmm....

It's not just that noone has reported it to the police or hospitals... surely the local papers would have stories saying "I was bitten by by the vampire" if it were true.

Has there been anything related to the incident(s) on the letters pages' of the relevant newspapers?

swamp fink said:
Has there been anything related to the incident(s) on the letters pages' of the relevant newspapers?

Oh! Good shout! That's often where the debate over these things rage. It'll need a local person to check the papers out as the letters page rarely make it on to 'teh interweb'.

Which, considering the lunacy one usual sees in your average local paper's letters page, is a crying shame.

Brummies! Please help!

Better than that...

A friend of mine who works on the 'Birmingham Evening Mail' assures me that members of the public have been calling the 'paper with stories along the lines of "A friend of mine was attacked and had their arm bitten off at the elbow!"

He also claims that the news editor invented the whole thing on a slow news day. Make of that what you will.

I live and work in Birmingham and have not heard a dickie-bird (English colloquialism for you yanks out there) about any of this, how long ago did the original incident happen ?.

I suspect the perpetrator is one of our 'care in the community' friends, or thinking about it, he could just be a regular Brummie out on the tiles.

[/quote]I'd tend to think that if the skin had been broken most people would go to the hospital - I know i would.

A Vet may be more use with a Brummie bite

Infidel said:
I suspect the perpetrator is one of our 'care in the community' friends, or thinking about it, he could just be a regular Brummie out on the tiles.

I would say it is more likely the latter myself.

As has been pointed out previously, an incident may have occured where a person was bitten in a street fracas.

I have no doubt that the papers have embroidered the truth. There are plenty of reports from the UK and elsewhere, where fights or attacks have happened and people have been bitten. You hear tales of ears partially being bitten off in drunken fights. This I know in one instance to be true as one of my close relatives was required to appear as a witness in court after watching such a fight inside a chip shop!

Also as I have mentioned before, I work in the community in and around Birmingham.

No advisory reports from the City Council or West Mids Police have been forwarded to us giving us the heads up that there is a dangerous person on the loose attacking people randomly.

Vampire Getting About A Bit

Blimey - it's spreading! From

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/template ... ewsid=3632

Toothless vampire hoax slain by cops
31/01/05
Claire Rudd

POLICE are having to reassure East Enders that there are no such things as vampires, after a spate of panic-stricken calls to the borough’s stations about the blood-thirsty neck-biters.

On January 24 and 25 Tower Hamlets police received 17 calls from members of the public claiming to have knowledge of non-human creatures attacking and biting people in the borough.

Police said the calls received appear to have been made by different people, each with genuine concerns.

East End Life also received calls from concerned members of the public who told reporters that family members were too scared to leave the house until the creature had been caught.

But it is all a cruel hoax to scare people. The claims follow similar scare stories that were doing the rounds in Birmingham earlier in January.

Local newspaper the Birmingham Evening Mail has been flooded with calls from “terrified” families, community leaders and schools.

Birmingham news agency Newsteam, reported: “As the sun dips below the rooftops of sleepy terraced streets, residents rush home, quickly gathering up playing children, because after night falls a vampire hungry for blood stalks. Reports of a Dracula-style attacker biting innocent people have spread terror throughout neighbourhoods in Birmingham, causing many to fear the night.”

But a police spokeswoman said: “Tower Hamlets police have not received any calls from victims claiming to have been bitten by a vampire or anything else non-human.
“Reports of vampires and other non-human creatures bear all the hallmarks of an urban myth fuelled by rumours and hearsay.

“We would like to reassure members of the public that vampires and other non-human creatures do not exist and they need not be fearful of being attacked in this way.

“We have not received any calls from victims and there is no evidence to substantiate these claims.”

BRummie Vampire Arrest!

'Vamp' attack arrest Feb 8 2005

By Justine Halifax, Evening Mail

Police have arrested a man who is believed to have sparked an urban vampire myth throughout Birmingham.

The man was wanted for biting three members of a family in an "isolated incident" at Christmas before fleeing the scene.

The incident sparked fear of a crazed vampire on the loose and led to a spate of reports of further random attacks in Alum Rock and Small Heath.

The Evening Mail was also flooded with calls and e-mails from scores of frightened families, despite no victims coming forward or new incidents being logged with West Midlands Police.

But police today confirmed officers had arrested the man believed to be responsible for the original incident in December, after following up

19. a "new line of inquiry". A police spokeswoman said: "I can confirm that we have arrested a man in relation to this isolated incident of disorder.

"He has been released on police bail to return at a later date."

She was unable to release any more details at this stage.

There have still been no new confirmed incidents since the original incident on December

It is hoped that the arrest will put an end to the hearsay-fuelled vampire rumours, which spread to the city centre and into schools, universities and offices.

Web: Source

Hello skitster! I found this at the Eastern Eye site.

Count Drac-ullah’ terrorises Bengalis, 4.2.05

The east end of London has been gripped by a climate of fear not seen since Jack the Ripper, Britain’s most famous serial killer, prowled its streets.

Community leaders are appealing for calm as rumours of a “neck-biting beast” create panic in Britain’s Bangladeshi community.

Stories about a vampire started in Birmingham after reports of a man indiscriminately biting innocent bystanders last month.

Now rumours are spreading about a vampire among Bangladeshis in London.

Mosques are trying to quash fears of a supernatural predator after many contacted Eastern Eye recently claiming to be too scared to leave their homes.

An imam from the East London Mosque urged the congregation at last Friday’s prayers to ignore the rumours.

Abel Umar a spokesperson for the mosque. said: “This was the topic of our Friday sermon because the women and children were so frightened.

“The imam told them that there is no truth in it, it’s just rumours because everyone had heard it but no-one had seen anything. He pointed out that the Qur’an says one has to verify things that one hears and it is a sin to spread rumours.”

But it has failed to appease Bengalis such as Ruksana Begum. Mrs Begum, of West Midlands, said: “For a few weeks I have been hearing disturbing stories about people being attacked and bitten by this one person in Aston, Lozells and Small Heath.

“The Bengali people are really frightened. I don’t really believe this person is a werewolf, but ask anyone in the Birmingham area and you will find that they all believe it is something supernatural.”

Abul Kalam, of east London, said: “One woman was bitten and a large chunk of her neck is missing and elsewhere, something jumped from a wall onto a woman and she started to fight back. As she caught a glimpse of the thing, she screamed because she said it wasn’t human.”

Shireen Ahmed, also of east London, added: “I could not sleep thinking about it.

“In one case a person opened the door and the guy or woman wearing a veil just pulled the person and drained the blood from their neck. It seemed to have very, very long nails to attack.”

Firoz Hussain, 36, a Bangladeshi Youth Worker in Birmingham, said: “I couldn’t believe it when a member of staff didn’t turn up to work at the weekend because of this. She phoned me and said she was too scared to come in.”

The community has offered some explanations for the presence of the predator.

“I have heard that a spirit was unleashed by a community leader in Oldham to help re-unite a separated couple. It’s black magic which went wrong,” suggests Mr Kalam.

Police in Tower Hamlets received 17 calls in just two days about non-human creatures.

[Emp edit: And here is the source for this:

www.ethnicmediagroup.co.uk/eastern_eye/ ... p?NID=1395 ]

monkey the magnificent said:
Hello skitster! I found this at the Eastern Eye site.

Utterley brilliant, thank you, I've filed that away. The website, has a great picture of a Bengali guy with Dracula fangs to illustrate the story.

To coincide with the 85th anniversary of Universal Pictures' 'Dracula' starring Bela Lugosi, should you (unfortunately) be assailed by a vampire, students from the University of Leicester's Department of Physics and Astronomy have used fluid dynamics to examine how long it would take for the undead fiend to drain an average human's blood – and have calculated that it would take only 6.4 minutes to drain 15 per cent of the blood from the external carotid artery in a human's neck.

15 per cent was used as the benchmark as any more blood loss causes the heart rate to change, while less can be taken without affecting the circulatory system of a human.

The aorta, the main artery of the body, splits into five other arteries. For the purpose of the study the team was concerned with the velocity of blood flowing into only the common carotid artery.

They also assumed the five arteries are of even thickness, enabling them to calculate the velocity of blood flowing into the common carotid artery.

By examining the average human blood pressure in arteries measured relative to the air pressure, this gave the students the pressure difference.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-03-fluid-dynamics-quickly-vampire-blood.html#jCp

Heh. I was bored one day at the Makerspace so I decided to make a vampire hunting kit. So far I have the stakes and mallet (hand-shaped, laser-engraved) but I still need to make the box they go in.

Thinking about including holy water, a small thing of rice, that freeze-dried garlic you can get in grocery stores, and a crucifix or some such.

Back