• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Misremembered Memories Thread From Another Site

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Yeah, I have memories of 'flying' or levitating when I was very young. I didn't realise it was so common. I still have lots of dreams where I can fly - or rather just make really really long jumps.

Like graylien, I used to have dreams about flying when I was younger but unlike GL, I don't anymore ...

For the first time in my life, I lashed my arm out in a dream last week and so ending up slapping my bedside cabinet ... she woke me up and said "are you all right?" ... I was still half asleep (as we both were) so answered with "It's okay ... I just hit someone" .. and we both quickly fell back asleep (because I'm a non violent type) except with me wondering if I was going to clock her one in my sleep! .... I've googled it and self diagnosing is never a good idea because one link suggested I might have the onset of Parkinson's disease ..... I remember the exact same thing happening to my best mate who came on holiday with me and family when I was a kid ... he'd slap the bedside cabinet ...

Yeah, I have memories of 'flying' or levitating when I was very young. I didn't realise it was so common. I still have lots of dreams where I can fly - or rather just make really really long jumps.

Strangely, I haven't ever mentioned it on here, but I had dreams and reveries of levitating as a younger child (although I'm not sure I could put an age on it--single figures, probably). It was quite involuntary and to the point where I could 'feel' my face pushing (gently) against the ceiling as if I was filled with helium and needed to rise. They'd invariably start when I was relaxed or sleepy and end with my slowly drifting back down to the floor. I don't really recall it being an out-of-body experience because I wasn't able to 'roll over' and take a look at the floor below to see what was down there.

As to Mumsnet: Misremembered Memories? Have they started a petition to force the government to 'ban this sick filth now' yet?

:)

Now now Yith you are confusing Mumsnet with The Daily Mail. They are very different.

Strangely, I haven't ever mentioned it on here, but I had dreams and reveries of levitating as a younger child - although I'm not sure I could put an age on it - single figures, probably. It was quite involuntary and to the point where I could 'feel' my face pushing (gently) against the ceiling as if I was filled with helium and needing to rise. They'd invariably start when I was relaxed or sleepy and end with my slowly drifting back down to the floor. I don't really recall it being an out-of-body experience because I wasn't able to 'roll over' and take a look at the floor below to see what was down there.

As to Mumsnet: Misremembered Memories? Have they started a petition to force the government to 'ban this sick filth now' yet?

:)

Yeah I'd often dream of flying down the stairs as a kid. It sort of stopped after I was about 5 or 6.

Have very occasional flying dreams now but nowhere near as often

They do that without asking though Gray. As a rule Mumsnet don't like the Daily Fail.

I do like the logic of flying being a memory of being carried, especially being carried downstairs as you are likely to be carried downstairs until an older ages than being carried in general.
I only have one memory of being carried by a parent but logic dictates that it must happen more than that.

I have memories of jumping off the stairs as a very young kid and floating slowly down and landing in the hall. However, I also walked through the house downstairs in darkness which seemed right for the phenomena as I was packed off to bed before the lights went out.
I don't think it's misremembering but as a skill lost by having to learn other stuff at school.

Last edited:
An interesting question might be whether anyone has ever seen a floating or flying toddler?

That's a shame, I was thinking up ideas for a Saturday night TV talent show there.

Yes, I have a distinct memory of floating in the back yard at night as a toddler, or maybe even earlier. It was dark and windy, with swirling leaves everywhere, and I was floating along, apparently alone. It wasn't scary, it was quite comforting in fact. I had my pink security blanket with me. This being a memory of being carried makes some sense, actually.

I rarely dream of flying. More often I'm floating in an erratic manner, usually on some type of conveyance that threatens to fall out of the air at any moment. :p But in my OBE's I can usually float/fly quite well, once I can get the pattern of movement down. (you sort of pull yourself forward, which takes some getting used to) I had an OBE during a nap this afternoon and thought about this thread during it, and considerd how much easier it was to fly during an OBE than in an ordinary dream state. I don't know if that's typical for OBE's or just another example of my weirdness, lol.

For the first time in my life, I lashed my arm out in a dream last week and so ending up slapping my bedside cabinet ... she woke me up and said "are you all right?" ...

Do we have a thread for talking bedside cabinets?

Entertaining and depressing in equal measure. I wonder if a lot of women refer to their husbands as fuckwits on the internet.

I have memories of jumping off the stairs as a very young kid and floating slowly down and landing in the hall.

I've spoken to a few friends about this over the years as both myself and my wife 'seem' to remember jumping / floating off the top of the stairs when young. In my (possibly false) memories, I'm sat at the top of the stairs and jump forward, float down and land in the hall. I loved the feeling and would run up and do it again, over and over. As I got older the landings started to get heavier and heavier (landing with a pronounced thump) until one time my Mum shouted from the other room to see what was going on.

I can still visualise it now, plus the feeling I got when 'floating' down felt like a lump in the stomach area. I'll go and check out the mumsnet thread, however I was sure this had happened for real...

I've spoken to a few friends about this over the years as both myself and my wife 'seem' to remember jumping / floating off the top of the stairs when young. In my (possibly false) memories, I'm sat at the top of the stairs and jump forward, float down and land in the hall. I loved the feeling and would run up and do it again, over and over. As I got older the landings started to get heavier and heavier (landing with a pronounced thump) until one time my Mum shouted from the other room to see what was going on.

I can still visualise it now, plus the feeling I got when 'floating' down felt like a lump in the stomach area. I'll go and check out the mumsnet thread, however I was sure this had happened for real...

If I was to be more precise, I wouldn't know how I got to the top of the stairs. I'd simply be there. Then I'd jump and clear them all in slow motion. Landing on the hall would feel slow and the surface beneath me spongelike. Next to me would be the downstairs door and then I'd be walking through a dark house I am standing, walking, not being carried.. Then... Zippppp. Morning and I'm waking in bed.

Entertaining and depressing in equal measure. I wonder if a lot of women refer to their husbands as fuckwits on the internet.

We used to call each other Fishface and Ratbag, (interchangeably if we'd drunk enough wine - we tended to forget which was which) so anything is possible.

in typical henryfort fashion i used to drive my bed down the stairs in my dreams, probably around age 4 or 5, the memory is somewhat similar to offroading in the midlands

A minor but very recent and vivid experience:

My mother brought met two letters to read (she has very poor eyesight) and I thought I had filed them but later couldn't find them. I searched first and then started pondering where I might have left them. At work I remembered very clearly that I had put them next to the computer and felt a great relief: "so that's where they are". I had a clear memory of putting them there. But they were not there. Later I found that my mother had taken the letters home again.

On the point of the thread, I do remember floating down the stairs when young - and, later, wondering why I couldn't do it any more. So, 'me too'.

We have a thread about floating downstairs.

I still have flying/ levitating dreams. Never had the floating downstairs one, though. Going to check it out.

Back