• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Icelandic Elves!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4311928,00.html
Link is dead. Webpage is not archived at the Wayback Machine.

I do hope the link works....

Elves are so important to Icelanders that roads are built with bends to avoid disturbing their homes!
I'm amazed. Why don't we have such a powerful proElf lobby?

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone in iceland scoffs at the nutty minority of new-agers who believe in the elves and do all the press, but if you press them they all have an elf story which happened to their grandfather or whatever - relatives are the equivalent of FOAF up there. the real folkloric elves are quite different from the fluffy fairies the tourists buy tea-towels about.

jack said:
The real folkloric elves are quite different from the fluffy fairies the tourists buy tea-towels about.

Quite right. The modern Western English-speaking notion of the Fey, Fee, or fairy folk has been greatly influenced, if not irrevocably prejudiced by the likes of the infamous Cottingley case or by Walt Disney's 'Tinkerbell'.
Our forebears saw them as quite different creatures, far removed from the often sanitized offerings made to our children today. These elemental creatures - the 'Good People' or Sleagh Maith (a name, Aberfoyle's Revd Robert Kirk (author of The Secret Commonwealth of Elves and Fairies) explained, arising from the habit of the Irish to bless that which they feared) - were not all they seemed. Frequently mischievous, they could be hostile or malicious if offended or their habit disturbed.
These creatures are found in the folklore and myth of societies and cultures around the world. Their names, many of them familiar, are manifold - gnomes, pixies (or pisgies), goblins, trolls, brownies, ikals, leprechauns, lutins, korrigans, and so on.
Of course, we don't recognise elves and fairies anymore, do we? No, today, we call them 'ghosts' and 'aliens'.

Iclandic elves are one of the most interesting aspects of all things strange to me.
I first heard of them when I was watching a documentry on channel 4 (called bad trip, it was on 4later). This guy was travelling around Iceland and visited a family who claimed to be in reguler contact with them. When speaking to an old lady he kept asking for proof of it, which made her angry and she stopped talking to him. One of the men said that he sit's in the middle of a field and sometimes the elves (or trolls which I think would be more accurate) would come and talk to him. He said that they normaly wear white.
It know it sounds like this family should be locked up in a mental hospital but they seemed pretty normal, genuine people to me.

I read an article in a newspaper a couple of years ago about building permission being refused on a reputed fairy site in Ireland because nobody dared take the job in case of bad luck.

if they are real and people are in contact with them why not proivde some proof? if its because you want to keep them secret well going on a tv documentary saying that u regulary speak to them doesnt really do it that well

dont things like that anoyy you?? people claim to know for certain things exist but ask them to prove it.........

Whether they exist or not, I approve of roads being built around elf-houses. Can't see our govt doing something so philanthropic.

Carole

Proof of the "wee ones"

Perhaps the elves,fairies,ect. threaten
these "insiders" with malice for bringing "outsiders" in on things.

Islands -- the last refuge for gnomes?

It's an old thread but I move slowly reading them all, probably like many newcomers to this board. Regarding the "little folk", has anyone noticed that northern islands - Great Britain, Ireland and the far-lying Iceland -- seem to have the highest imaginable concentration of them (not to mention paranormal phenomena)? Could it be because of the huge growth of population in the mainland Europe since the Middle Ages that made it so hard for the fairies, gnomes, etc. to lead their hidden, separate lives?
The Orkneys and other Scottish archipelagoes also seem to be famous for these encounters. I remember reading about documented contacts between a local priest on one of the northernmost islets and a tribe of dwarfs (gnomes?) in the 19 century, it was very convincing.

Nothing much to add really, but I went to Iceland a few years ago and heard several of the same stories about road building and "elf houses" etc. Iceland is a fascinating place, I highly reccomend a trip there if possible. We basically traveled all around the perimeter of Iceland (interior is covered with glacier). Wonderful people, almost all speak perfect English, interesting food... oh, and check out the Blue Lagoon outside Reykjavik!

http://www.bluelagoon.is/english/

sureshot

Welcome, Gloria. Old threads are here to be revived so don't worry about answering something a bit late :)

Iceland is wonderful and is full to the brim of folktales with explanations of seemingly inexplicable things. Well worth a visit (even the interior - glaciars and volcanoes - sometimes simultaneously!)

On a more prosaic note, tales of modern elves and other "elders" aren't confined to Northern Europe, or islands; there's plenty of stories from Africa, Asia, the Americas...

Jane.

Another take on this story from HERE

Elves in Modern Iceland
By Rolf Soderlind

(Fann þessa grein á Netinu, hef engar upplýsingar um höfund, tíma og tilurð)

REYKJAVIK (Reuter) - The trouble started last month when the bulldozers kept breaking down during work on a new road. The mysterious accidents in front of one particular stone brought work to a standstill at the construction site at Ljarskogar, about three hours drive north of Reykjavik. The contractors solved the problem in an unorthodox way but one which is fairly common on Iceland. They accepted an offer from a medium to find out if the land was populated by elves and, if so, were they causing the disruptions.

"Our basic approach is not to deny this phenomenon," Birgir Gudmundsson, an engineer with the Iceland Road Authority, told Reuters. "We tread carefully. There are people who can negotiate with the elves, and we make use of that."

About 10 percent of Icelanders believe in supernatural beings and another 10 percent deny them, but the remaining 80 percent on this windswept North Atlantic outpost either have no opinion or refuse to rule out their existence, a survey shows.

The medium, a woman named Regina, said the elves told her they no longer lived in the stone but nearby. However, they wanted workers to remove it in a dignified manner and not just try to blow it up. Regina was interviewed on national radio, which found itself quoting elves, albeit indirectly, for the first time in history, according to one radio journalist.

The supernatural never seems far away in Iceland, a wild moonscape of volcanoes, geysers and lava rocks looking like trolls petrified by the first rays of sunshine on a frosty morning. This is the land where Vikings, tired of serving Scandinavian kings, settled more than a thousand years ago.

"I believe the elves want people to preserve nature," said Erla Stefansdottir, another medium and part-time consultant to the road authorities. "Elves are nice and sweet, the other side of nature, they are like light on the trees and the flowers."

Erla, sitting in her Reykjavik living room with candles flickering on the able and Handel's Water Music playing from the stereo, said elves lived not just in the countryside but also in the city and they enjoyed music. "I see elves on the table right now," the middle-aged piano teacher and mother of three said matter-of-factly. "There, there and there. They look like small human beings. I don't have to believe in these things, but I keep seeing them. I have always been seeing too much."

Erla said elves were not always at fault when roadworkers ran into unexpected problems. "You cannot blame it all on the elves," she said. "Don't believe everything you hear. People are good at bungling things themselves."

Being clairvoyant can apparently be an eerie experience. "When I walk down the street I can't tell who is alive and who is dead of the people I meet," Erla said. "I must touch them to find out if they are alive. I can meet myself on the highway 20 years ago. I can easily look back a thousand years."

Elves were first briefly mentioned in Iceland's mediaeval Saga literature -- filled with pithy, epic tales of the days when a man never left his home without his sword. The Icelandic language, old Norse, has helped the survival of folklore because it has been preserved virtually unscathed by the passing of time. Icelanders still read the old Sagas in their original version without trouble.

Iceland's President Vigdis Finnbogadottir once said her people loved telling stories although few really believed in folklore. "But to lose it would be to lose a jewel," she said. Arni Bjoernsson, head of the Ethnological department of the National Museum of Iceland, said popular belief in elves, gnomes, dwarfs, trolls and other beings often reflected the simple farmer's dream of a better world alongside his own.

"The "huldufolk," or the hidden people, live a better life than human beings," said Arni, whose interviews with fellow Icelanders have produced a book listing 500 supernatural beings. "Their houses are nice and clean. They often possess gold and other valuables. This is the wishful thinking of the poor."

But Arni said Icelanders, whose first city was founded less than 200 years ago, were less ashamed than other people in Europe to admit to superstitious beliefs. "Icelanders are sceptical people, but they are also humble and they do not want to rule anything out," he said. "I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence?"

While the elves and other serene beings may cause roadworks to make detours around magic mounds, no story about Icelandic folklore would be complete without the "skrimsli,"' or monsters. "Unlike ghosts, who leave no trace, monsters seem to leave footprints in the sand and disappear into the sea," said Thorvaldur Fridriksson, author of a 1000-page work on Icelandic Loch Ness-style monsters that is soon to be published. "Some of these monsters are dangerous. People are reluctant to tell about them because others will laugh. But about 70 percent of Earth is sea and who knows what the sea hides?"

At Ljarskogar, however, all seemingly came clear after road authorities followed Regina's advice and removed the stone with due dignity. "As far as I know, everything has been peaceful since then," said Birgir.

Thank you,Mr. R.I.N.G.,for a marvelous posting which I really enjoyed reading.
I think that a lot of 'Fortean' phenomena is either a continuation of existing folklore,or 'Folklore in the making',so a study of historic folklore and folkloric writings,i.e. Kirk,is important to place modern cases into an historic 'framework' (though as honest 'Forteans' should we attempt to 'pigeonhole'?-most probably NOT!)

Mr RING said :

"Being clairvoyant can apparently be an eerie experience. "When I walk down the street I can't tell who is alive and who is dead of the people I meet," Erla said. "I must touch them to find out if they are alive. I can meet myself on the highway 20 years ago. I can easily look back a thousand years."

I found this fascinating. I've just read a short story by Will Self in which a man meets his mother after she's died. She's just moved to live in another part of London. Certainly got me looking at people in a different way.

Hermes said:
Of course, we don't recognise elves and fairies anymore, do we? No, today, we call them 'ghosts' and 'aliens'.

I'm a big fan of this theory.

/also thought 'Bjork' when reading this thread...

I think this quote sums up the best attitude about the supernatural that you could have (or at least the attitude I try to cultivate myself):

"I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence?"

And it's interesting when Erla is talking and she sees the elves - I wonder if it is the vision of elves in the periphery of vision, like the Second Sight that Robert Kirk talks about? Loss of sensitivity in that area of vision might account for us not being able to recognize elves ourselves...

Another fun article:

Gnome Is Where the Heart Is:
What Little Elves Tell Icelanders
by David Wallis

Most Icelanders can rattle off obscure but impressive statistics about their homeland: This sophisticated nation of 275,000 people leads the world in Internet connections per capita, chess grandmasters, what have you. But Icelanders rarely point with pride to the myriad superstitions many hold so dear.

When prodded, Icelanders from all walks of life -- bank tellers, rare book dealers, university administrators -- can recount vivid experiences with supernatural beings. In fact, in surveys, few Icelanders rule out the existence of elves, dwarfs, trolls, light-fairies, and especially "hidden folk," gregarious, human-like creatures that purportedly dwell in rocks.

Erla Stefansdottur, Iceland's most famous "elf-spotter," has helped Reykjavik's Planning Department and two tourist authorities create maps charting the haunts of hidden folk and their ilk. Though Icelanders often lump these invisible entities together, calling them all hidden folk, the maps detail the differences.

Elves, known for festive clothes and demeanors, nevertheless cherish their privacy. Dwarfs, more moody than elves, are the size of human toddlers.

Light-fairies -- think Tinkerbell -- glow and possess flight. Trolls, reportedly not the brightest giants in the otherworld, live like hermits inside mountains and glaciers.

Ms. Stefansdottur says she receives about four calls a month from prospective homeowners, asking her to make sure building lots are spirit-free. But the widespread acceptance of hidden folk occasionally bedevils Iceland's Public Roads Administration. Every few years, construction crews unwittingly verge on demolishing invisible homes, provoking a very real outcry. The road authority typically responds with sensitivity, routing roads around hallowed boulders or delaying construction long enough to give non-human constituents time to find new accommodations.

According to Valdimar Hafsteinn, a folklorist and historian who used to work for the roads administration, the agency in the late 1970's even called in a medium to negotiate with irate elves who had objected to scheduled blasting at a road construction site near the city of Akureyri. Apparently, the perturbed pixies threatened to sabotage the project.

The medium convened two seances, which led to a compromise: Bureaucrats eschewed explosives and the elves withdrew their opposition. In the next few weeks, road authority contractors will gently move a cracked gray boulder known as Grasteinn, said to be owned by dwarfs, that blocks the expansion of a highway on the outskirts of Reykjavik. Viktor A. Ingolfsson, a spokesman for the road agency, defends his department's unorthodox expenditure -- "hundreds, not thousands, of dollars" -- describing it as a reasonable public relations expense: "When Native Americans protest roads being built over ancient burial grounds, the U.S. listens. It's the same here. There are people who believe in elves and we don't make fun of them. We try to deal with them."

Mr. Ingolfsson admitted that the road administration's image could do with some repair, "since in the past we built roads wherever we wanted without much concern for the environmental impact." He added, "A few beautiful spots have probably been saved because of elf stones." Icelandic taxpayers tend to support the odd concession to the elf lobby. Marianna Clara, a writer sipping cappuccino at a chic Reykjavik coffee house, said: "We're a small nation. It's important to be proud of our culture. I think it's nice that the Government takes into consideration the people, their stories and the magic of the country."

Magnus H. Skarphedinsson, self-described headmaster of the Elfschool, which offers half-day seminars on paranormal phenomena, expects the rock relocation to actually save the Government money. "If you ignore the hidden people, the cost of construction doubles or triples," he said. "Everything goes wrong. The workers get sick. The machines don't work." He was echoing a a claim so entrenched in Icelandic lore that it scarcely matters whether it's true or not. B UT not everyone considers elves, or their proponents, worthy of any fuss.

"I'm a bit ashamed that foreign newspapers will report that Iceland's road department moves rocks rather than Iceland helps feed the world," fretted Thorvoldur Karl Helgason, a Lutheran pastor and chief of staff for the Bishop of Iceland. The pastor, however, refused to condemn the practice, only advising parishioners to "be careful, because they may not know what they are doing."

Whatever Icelanders are doing, they've been doing it for a long time. Arni Bjornsson, a cultural anthropologist at the National Museum of Iceland, traces tales of hidden people to the 15th century.

Belief blossomed in the 17th and 18th centuries -- "the bad centuries" -- noted Mr. Bjornsson. Iceland hardly resembled the prosperous nation it is today. The king of Denmark (which ruled Iceland until 1944) imposed a strict trade monopoly in 1602, cutting off the island's products from lucrative markets. Most Icelanders lived in cramped, damp turf houses and many suffered from chronic hunger. Then, in 1783, a huge eruption of the Laki volcano wiped out 75 percent of crops, leading to a severe famine that killed about 20 percent of the population.

"In terms of nature, Iceland is a very unstable country," Mr. Bjornsson said. "A man could never be sure if he would wake up in the morning and his land would be covered in volcanic ash." Mr. Bjornsson thinks the hidden folk met a psychological need of his impoverished ancestors: "The world of the hidden folk was often a dreamland where elves were usually better dressed than humans and lived in beautiful homes. Elves didn't have to trade only with the Danes. They had their own merchants. It was a wish fulfillment."

Since times have improved, Mr. Bjornsson wonders if greed for tourist dollars spurs hype about hidden folk. "Some people," he lamented, "manipulate folklore for commercial purposes." Mr. Hafsteinn, the historian, rebuts his colleagues' cynicism. "The idea that this is cooked up to defraud foreign tourists is rubbish," he said. "In this century Iceland has experienced a total revolution in terms of living standards. Most of the population now live in cities, and Icelandic identity is tied up with a way of life that is very much disappearing.

In most contemporary accounts elves are not urban people but live on farms, authentic Icelanders. Antagonisms seem to come up when cities are being expanded, so there may be feelings of guilt mixed with nostalgia." The hidden folk, however, may not feel as sentimental as their human counterparts. Ms. Stefansdottur, speaking from her candle-lit townhouse decorated with Russian icons, Oriental rugs and handmade elf dolls, claims that the dwarfs of Grasteinn scampered off without complaint once notified of the imminent highway expansion.

The dwarfs could not be reached for comment.

http://dailyrevolution.org/friday/elves.html

A fastinating country that I have always wanted to visit

We must remember that the Japanese, another wealthy, educated and technological nation, also have a great belief in the supernatural and supernatural creatures.

The land of elves: Hidden creatures make their home in this Icelandic town

By Ric Bourie/ Special to the Herald

Sunday, December 25, 2005

HAFNARFJORDUR, Iceland — In the United States, we think of elves as Santa’s little helpers. In Iceland, elves are a bigger deal.

Icelandic elves don’t work in Santa’s workshop. They are an independent lot, with magical powers. They aren’t even associated with Iceland’s Santas, which number 13. That’s right: Iceland has 13 Santas, brothers each with a weird name and bad habits. They’re like a crude version of Snow White’s footmen, the Seven Dwarfs.

Every culture has its mythology. Iceland’s is strong, with roots in age-old Nordic sagas. Mention elves here and the skeptics and cynics will roll their eyes, but just as many Icelanders will relate an elf story passed on from friends or passed down from uncles, aunts or grandparents.

How deeply does this belief reside among the human population of Iceland? Well, highway engineers and construction crews take elves very seriously.

Elves live in rock outcroppings. In the United States, road builders have certain salamanders, spotted owls and other endangered wildlife species to contend with when plotting a route. In Iceland, it’s the elves.

Mischief befalls Icelandic road builders who can’t recognize good elf domain, including breakdowns of heavy equipment and even worker mishaps and injuries. It is said to have happened on more than one job site, enough to take the mythology seriously. Consequently, road planners here consult with an elf expert before routing a road or highway through rock piles that may be elf habitat.

According to elf seer Erla Stefansdottir, “Elf Central” in Iceland is this town, just a few kilometers southwest of Reykjavik, the Iceland capital. The town, she said, has “the richest elf and spirit populations” in all of Iceland. Elves, gnomes, dwarves, angels, light-fairies and “the hidden people” are all classes of what Stefansdottir calls elvin beings.

To learn more about Hafnarfjordur’s wee population, visitors can sign up for the town’s Hidden Worlds tour, a guided walk of about 90 minutes. It includes a stroll through Hellisgerdi Park, where the paths wind through a 7,000-year-old lava field planted with tall trees and potted bonsai trees in summer, and said to be peopled with the town’s largest elf colony.

Tour guide Sibba Karlsdottir is not an elf, but with a pointed red wool cap on, she looks like one. She leads the tours, relating old elf tales and a few modern “firsthand” stories along the way.

She points out the “Dwarf Stone,” where an Icelander wanted to build his house in the early 1900s. When workmen could not break up a pile of rock on the property, an old neighbor told them a dwarf lived in the rocks and did not want to move. The property owner decided to build elsewhere. No one has disturbed the rock pile since.

“We think most of these creatures, they are good,” Karlsdottir said, “elves and dwarves and hidden people — but they can get quite upset if we ruin their houses or go against their wishes. They get very upset and we have to face the consequences. They can put a spell on us.”

On the other side of town lived a farmer who dug up rock to use for the basement of his farmhouse, she said. All his neighbors said this is not a good idea. “You know you shouldn’t do that,” they told him. “You know elves live there.”

The farmer didn’t believe in elves, though. Shortly after he moved into the house, his daughter became mysteriously ill and died. The sad farmer sold the house to a Catholic priest and moved away. The priest forbade anyone to disturb the rocks on the farm, and no one has, Karlsdottir said.

Whether or not you believe in the existence of elves, Karlsdottir reasons, “It doesn’t cost you anything to pay respect to the old ways.”

Her tour offers visitors the chance to walk the back streets of Hafnarfjordur, to enjoy its eclectic mix of architectural styles and to spend a peaceful interval in Hellisgerdi Park.

Though few townspeople or visitors claim to have seen elves, there are four nights when your chances are best: Midsummer’s night, June 24, when the northernmost latitudes enjoy 24 hours of sunlight; Christmas Eve; New Year’s Eve; and Jan. 6, the 13th day of Christmas, when the last of Iceland’s Santas returns to the mountains.

The 13 Santas, or Icelandic Yulemen, have enjoyed a place in the nation’s folklore since the 16th century. They are the sons of two trolls: Leppaluoi, their father, and Gryla, their monster of a mother, who were rumored to snatch and eat children. Their sons were comparatively harmless, noted for stealing and playing tricks.

By 1930, Icelandic seamen had brought home from the North Sea countries tales of St. Nicholas, which blended with the old lore of the Yulemen.

Children began to practice a new custom of placing their shoes in the window before going to bed. The Yulemen had become so nice they would leave small gifts or treats in the children’s shoes.

Putting shoes in the window begins Dec. 12, the night the first Yuleman comes down from the mountains. A different Santa comes each night until they are all there on Christmas Eve. They return in the same order they came, night by night, the last one leaving Jan. 6.

-------------------
If you go

Getting there: Icelandair flies nonstop from Boston to Reykjavik, a 5-hour trip. Round-trip fares begin at about $350 (www.icelandair.com).
Getting around: If you’re staying in Reykjavik, take a taxi or local bus, the S1, to the center harborfront of Hafnarfjordur.
Touring: The Hidden Worlds walking tour is offered Tuesdays and Fridays, January through mid-September and by appointment thereafter. To book, call 354-694-2785 or e-mail [email protected]
Dining and lodging: Stay and eat like a Viking at Fjorukrain (“Viking Village”), Strandgata 55, on the Hafnarfjordur harborfront. For reservations, go to www.fjorukrain.is
INFORMATION: Go to http://www.hafnarfjordur.is, or for other Iceland destinations, go to http://www.goiceland.org

--------
Every Yuleman has his weakness

Their names have varied in different locales and have changed over the centuries, but here’s a roster of Iceland’s Yulemen and their bad habits, in the order by which the Yulemen arrive:

1. Sheep-Cot Clod - Sneaks into the sheep cot (pen) and harasses the sheep.
2. Gully Gawk - Tries to milk cows because he loves heavy froth on milk.
3. Shorty - Hovers in the kitchen, waiting for the chance to snatch a roast.
4. Ladle Licker - So thin he resembles the utensil he loves to lick.
5. Pot Scraper - Snatches dirty pots and pans and scrapes the burned-on food by hand.
6. Bowl Licker - Like the puppy of the house, he’s adept at licking bowls clean.
7. Door Slammer - Out of sight, late at night, doors go bang in the night.
8. Skyr Gobbler - Skyr is the Icelandic term for yogurt, which he has a penchant for.
9. Sausage Snatcher - Skilled at clambering into rafters, where the sausages are hung to smoke.
10. Window Peeper - A very ugly guy, who can be a fright to see peering through windows.
11. Door Sniffer - Leave the door to the kitchen ajar and he’ll stick his big nose into it, looking for food to steal.
12. Meat Hook - Down your chimney comes his long pole with a hook on the end, aimed at snatching meat that may be hanging from your rafters.
13. Candle Beggar - Steals Christmas candles when no one is looking.

www.metrowestdailynews.com/travel/view. ... eid=117772

Gosh, they sound like my family at Xmas.....

But seriously, dont the elves mind being pestered by tourists? They arent the sort you want to cross.

(And how many are employed by the Planning Dept??)

escargot1 said:
Elves are so important to Icelanders that roads are built with bends to avoid disturbing their homes!
I'm amazed. Why don't we have such a powerful proElf lobby?

Er, I think we do in some places...

Did you see that article last month about a certain village in Perthshire ?

VILLAGERS who protested that a new housing estate would “harm the fairies” living in their midst have forced a property company to scrap its building plans and start again.
Marcus Salter, head of Genesis Properties, estimates that the small colony of fairies believed to live beneath a rock in St Fillans, Perthshire, has cost him £15,000. His first notice of the residential sensibilities of the netherworld came as his diggers moved on to a site on the outskirts of the village, which crowns the easterly shore of Loch Earn.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 12,00.html

Elves are not evenly spread over this country....

Rare in England and wales, much more common in Scotland and Ireland.

Belief in elves and trolls goes hand in hand with conservationism, but can conservationists and elves stop the onward march of property development progress?
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...ders-still-believe-in-invisible-elves/280783/

Why So Many Icelanders Still Believe in Invisible Elves

How the country’s history and geography created the perfect setting for magical creatures, whose perceived existence sparks environmental protests to this day.

The Atlantic. Ryan Jacobs Oct 29 2013

At the edge of the ancient Gálgahraun lava field, about a 10-minute drive outside Iceland’s capital city of Reykjavík, a small group of local environmentalists has made camp among the gnarled volcanic rock, wild moss, and browning grass to protest a new road development that will slice the bucolic landscape into four sections and place a traffic circle in its core. The project, led by the Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration and the nearby municipality of Garðabær, will provide a more direct route to and from the tip of the Álftanes peninsula, where the rustic, red-tiled compound of the country’s president and an eponymous hamlet of 2,600 people stand.

The Hraunavinir, or “Friends of the Lava,” believe that any benefits from a project that snakes through Gálgahraun are cancelled out by its cultural and environmental costs. According to protester Ragnhildur Jónsdóttir, the thoroughfares would destroy some of the “amazingly beautiful lava formations” and spoil a habitat where birds flock and small plants flourish. One of Iceland’s most famous painters, Jóhannes Sveinsson Kjarval, once worked on his canvases there, perhaps magnetized by the charm of the terrain’s craggy natural relics.

Not all of the arguments against the development are so straightforward. At least a few believe it will displace certain supernatural forces that dwell within the hallowed volcanic rubble, and fear the potentially dark consequences that come with such a disturbance. Jónsdóttir, a greying and spectacled seer who also operates an “elf garden” in nearby Hafnarfjörður, believes the field is highly populated by elves, huldufolk (hidden people), and dwarves, many of whom, she says, have recently fled the area while the matter is settled.

One of the many oddly shaped rocks at the lava field houses “a very important elf church,” which lies directly in the path of one of the roads, according to Jónsdóttir. Both she and another seer visited the field separately and came to the same conclusion about the spot. “I mean, there are thousands or millions of rocks in this lava field,” she said, “but we both went to the same rock or cliff and talked about an elf church.” She knows about the elf church because she can see it, she says, and also sense its energy, a sensation many Icelanders are familiar with.

If a road is completely necessary, the elves will generally move out of the way, but if it is deemed superfluous, a possibility at Gálgahraun, “very bad things” might happen. “This elf church is connected by light energy to other churches, other places,” Jónsdóttir said. “So, if one of them is destroyed, it’s, uh, well, it’s not a good thing.”

Though Jónsdóttir’s belief in elves may sound extreme, it is fairly common for Icelanders to at least entertain the possibility of their existence. In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves. That poll is fairly consistent with other findings and with qualitative fieldwork, according to an academic paper published in 2000 titled “The Elves’ Point of View" by Valdimar Hafstein, who now is a folkloristics professor at the University of Iceland. “If this was just one crazy lady talking about invisible friends, it's really easy to laugh about that,” Jónsdóttir said. “But to have people through hundreds of years talking about the same things, it’s beyond one or two crazy ladies. It is part of the nation.”

Jacqueline Simpson, a visiting professor at the University of Chichester’s Sussex Centre for Folklore, Fairy Tales, and Fantasy in England, said references to the word alfar, or elf, first appeared in the Icelandic record in Viking-era poems that date back to around 1000 AD. The older texts do not divulge much about what the elves do; they mainly focus on the activities of the gods. The more elaborate stories cropped up in the folklore of the 16th and 17th centuries and have ripened with age.

The elves differ from the extremely tiny figures that are typically depicted as assistants to Santa Claus in popular American mythology. And unlike the fairies of Britain and other parts of Europe, Icelandic elves live and look very much like humans, according to Simpson and other experts. “You’ve got to get right up close before you can be sure it is an elf and not a human,” said Simpson, who began studying Old Icelandic in her undergraduate days and later compiled a book full of Icelandic legend translations. When elves are spotted, they are typically donning “the costume of a couple of hundred years ago,” when many of the stories really came alive.

Their behavior is also similar to that of people: “[T]heir economy is of the same sort: like humans, the hidden people have livestock, cut hay, row boats, flense whales and pick berries,” Hafstein writes. “Like humans, they too have priests and sheriffs and go to church on Sundays.” This would explain the elf church in the lava field. According to Jónsdóttir, elves can range wildly in size, from a few centimeters to three meters in height. But Icelanders typically come into contact with the smaller ones: one “around one foot tall” and “the other...is perhaps similar to a 7-year-old child.” They may live in houses, sometimes with multiple floors, and, if you leave them alone, they’ll generally mind their own business. According to Simpson, “treat them with respect, do not upset their dwelling places, or try to steal their cattle, and they’ll be perfectly ... quite neutral, quite harmless.”

Building or otherwise disturbing their homes and churches, on the other hand, can agitate their "fiercely" territorial side, Simpson said. Machines break or stop operating without explanation, according to Hafstein’s research. Then, perhaps, a worker sprains an ankle or breaks a leg. In older stories, sheep, cows, and people can fall ill, and even drop dead. According to Simpson, “If you damage their stones, you will pay for it.”

Perhaps the darkest threads in the 19th century folklore involve elves kidnapping people and holding them hostage in the mountains, or replacing babies or small toddlers with a “changeling,” or an “elf that looks like a baby but isn’t,” according to Simpson. These acts are completely spontaneous and malicious. “There you are you see a happy young mother, got your nice baby, and then mysteriously,” she says, “it stops growing or it becomes very fretful and ill-tempered. And then you realize, ‘Oh heavens! The elves have stolen the real baby and left this thing instead.’”

Though the baby-snatching stories have certainly dropped out of the mainstream Icelandic consciousness, tales of elves meddling with construction projects that encroach on their territory, usually in rocks or hills, abound. “They tell of mechanical breakdowns with no apparent cause, freak accidents, and dream warnings, or a series of these, interpreted as the work of elves,” Hafstein writes. “The invisible inhabitants of the construction site are supposed to want to deter from, delay or retaliate for the ongoing construction on their property.”

In fact, beliefs in misfortune befalling those who dare to build in elf territory is so widespread and frequent that the Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration has created a five-page “standard reply” for press inquiries about elves, which Viktor Arnar Ingolfsson, a chief spokesperson, emailed in response to questions from The Atlantic. “It will not answer the question of whether the [Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration] employees do or do not believe in elves and ‘hidden people’ because opinion differs greatly on this and it tends to be a rather personal matter,” the statement reads.

The agency goes on:
...It cannot be denied that belief in the supernatural is occasionally the reason for local concerns and these opinions are taken into account just as anybody else's would be. This is simply a case of good public relations.

We value the heritage of our ancestors and if oral tradition passed on from one generation to the other tells us that a certain location is cursed, or that supernatural beings inhabit a certain rock, then this must be considered a cultural treasure. In the days when the struggle with the forces of nature was harsher than it is now, conservation came to the fore in this folklore, and copses and beautiful natural features were even spared.

The reaction of the [administration] to these concerns has varied. Issues have been settled by delaying the construction project at a certain point whilst the elves living there have supposedly moved on. At other places the people in charge have seen no other solution than to continue the project against the wishes of certain individuals. There have been occasions when working arrangements have been changed slightly but at little extra expense. There is no denying that these stories of elves and cursed places have attracted the attention of the media. [The administration]'s employees have answered questions on this matter and have not ducked the issue.
In the late 1970s, the agency heeded seers’ advice about “supernatural beings” that resided in rocks beneath “The Trolls’ Pass” in northern Iceland and decided against detonating them. It calls the uneven road “a testimony” to its efforts to comply with local beliefs. No accidents have since occurred near the pass; some say elves have protected the drivers. “It’s good to make deals with elves,” Jónsdóttir said. “They always keep their bargain.”

There are also more recent stories of benevolence. In 2010, Árni Johnsen, a former member of the Icelandic Parliament, flipped his SUV on an icy road in southwest Iceland, careened off a small cliff, and survived without any major injuries. Later, he credited a group of elves living in a boulder near the wreck with saving his life. When a road was slated for construction over the rock, he insisted the roadmakers “save it,” according to Jónsdóttir. He then called in Jónsdóttir to determine whether his suspicions about the elves were correct, according to an Icelandic Review article at the time. She found “three generations” of elves living inside it, and, in a meeting with the creatures, inquired about whether they wanted to be moved away to a safer location near Johnsen’s home. “The elves thought about it and talked about it a whole lot,” she told The Atlantic. “They said, 'If you can promise that you put our home on grass, because we want to have sheep. And this side of the rock has to face the view over the ocean and the small island.'”

The 30-ton boulder was transported, and now the elves live happily in a field with “sheep and horses” near his home, according to Jónsdóttir.

Ingolfsson, the road agency’s spokesperson, explained that the project at the Gálgahraun lava field will continue as planned, because the authorities view it as a “necessary improvement.” “A settlement with the protesters is not plausible,” he wrote in an email. “The elves have not been conspicuous … in this argument.”

It's important to note that not everyone in Iceland believes in these tales. It's certainly a sensitive subject that some don't feel comfortable discussing with outsiders.

Icelandic music phenom Bjork once cautioned the New Yorker: “You have to watch out for the Nordic cliche,” she said. "A friend of mine says that when record-company executives come to Iceland, they ask the bands if they believe in elves, and whoever says yes gets signed up."

In 2005, the New York Times reported that Hafstein, the researcher who penned the widely cited paper mentioned earlier in this piece, had “grown weary of the subject,” after having been identified as “a national elf expert” by the Icelandic Tourist Board. In an email, Hafstein helpfully referred The Atlantic to his paper, but declined an interview, writing: “I’m out of the ‘elf business’ since a long time ago—did some research back in the mid-90s, but have long since moved on to other things.”

Then, there are the full-blown skeptics. According to Árni Björnsson, the former director of the ethnological department of the National Museum of Iceland, widespread belief in elves is “a rather recent myth” which arose in the 1970s, and flourished in part because of “the hippie culture.” While he acknowledges his country's rich history of folktales, it doesn’t prove “that people really believe in them, no more than they believe in the real existence of Tarzan or Harry Potter.”

Under his theory, most of the “gossip” about people believing that elves interfere with construction projects dates back to a single story about “a clumsy but merry bulldozer driver,” who, in the summer of 1971, broke his machine and some pipelines while moving rocks on the outskirts of Reykjavik. He attempted to explain the accident by arguing that there were elves living in the rock. “No one had ever heard about elves in this rock before, but his comment made headline in a newspaper, and the ball began to roll,” he said in an email. The story gained traction in the 1980s, partly due to his assistance. He wrote:
This story got a new international swing at the summit meeting of [Mikhail Gorbachev] and Ronald Reagan in Reykjavík 1986. The poor hundreds of foreign journalists got for the first days very sparse news from the meeting. They tried to use their time on something else. Some of them had heard about the impressive landscape, others about ancient literature, and quite a few had heard that Icelanders believed in elves. In my capacity at the National Museum, I was overwhelmed with questions. They wanted a confirmation from an official! I tried to be flexible and diplomatic, but the stories went around the world.
Despite his doubts, even Björnsson admits that his own family had a story about elves. No one on his boyhood farm was supposed to cut the grass on a slope near the hayfield because hidden people lived in the rocks. A farm hand who disobeyed his great-grandfather's orders was allegedly struck with tuberculosis. And while he outright claims he doesn't believe, he hedges a bit. “I do not dare to maintain that usual human sense organs are perfect," he wrote, "so there might be a possibility that something exists which normal people cannot perceive."

Theories about why Icelanders in particular seem prone to such superstitions center on the earliest settlers’ struggle to endure their isolated existence in such a majestic but unpredictable landscape.

Alaric Hall, a lecturer in medieval English literature at the University of Leeds who also researches Icelandic medieval beliefs, argues that the elves served as a kind of invented “other” for its earliest Viking settlers, who did not have any natives or indigenous people to “conquer.” “The Vikings who arrived in Iceland in the 870s really were probably the first human settlers on the island,” Hall, who did his dissertation about elves in England, said. “So they are actually indigenous people. But they don’t want to be. Like everyone else in Western Europe in the Middle Ages and in the early modern period, they really wanted to be invaders. So, what elves did is they provide...this kind of earlier indigenous population that can allow you to feel like a conqueror.”

Simpson believes the extremely poor and isolated life of the 17th and 18th century settlers only enriched the detail of the initial stories. Icelanders naturally imagined the elves living the comfortable and extravagant existence that everyday people longed for. Commonly, boys would encounter elves in the hills “feasting” at a time in the country’s history when having a decent meal was uncommon.

The modern stories have changed course though,according to Simpson, and now elves serve as a kind of reminder of an older existence, before cities, industry, and other developments began leaving a permanent imprint on the island. “They stand now, maybe, for the good simple old ways.”

Björnsson speculated that the stories are used to express “a sort of primitive environmentalism.” In a way, they represent a special connection with the natural landscape that is otherwise difficult to articulate. Haukur Ingi Jónasson, a professor in project management at Reykjavík University who wrote about elves during his graduate studies in theology and psychoanalysis at the Union Theological Seminary in New York, says Iceland’s many mountains, hills, and rivers are loaded with significance for the people who live near them. “[Elves are] kind of a ritualistic attempt to protect something meaningful, respect something of importance, and acknowledge something of worth,” he said. In other words, the elves honor a balance of power that has always leaned clearly in the direction of nature and the whimsy of its erupting volcanoes, shifting glaciers, and quivering ground. "We are kind of always at the disposal of something that is not us," he said. "It’s it. It’s nature. It’s out there. I cannot control it, it’s it that I have to comply with."

As industry has encroached, Jónsdóttir insists, many humans have forgotten about “the inner life of the earth" as they bend it to their will. When elves act out, they are doing more than just protecting their own homes, they are reminding people of a lost relationship. “[T]hey’re …protectors of nature, like we humans should be,” she said. “We have just forgotten.”

Though a case is pending about the legality of the construction at the lava field, Jónsdóttir told The Atlantic the contractors were planning to ignore it and continue working into the field anyway. She said she and the other members of the group would be there waiting for the bulldozers. Last week, she and several of the environmental protesters were arrested for standing in front of the machines. “I am out of jail,” she wrote in the email to The Atlantic after she was released. “The people in Iceland are in shock after this day. Not only Nature lost, but the [belief] in democracy in Iceland."

The next day, the protesters returned, but this time, the police simply carried people out of the construction zone and did not make any arrests. The bulldozers are currently razing the lava, and now the elves may need to step in. "It is up to the elves, but also up to us humans," she wrote in another email. "We really need to work together on this one."

Its unlikely that elves have a church as they are not Christian and indeed have no souls...come off it!

Elves are Bad News and I certainly wouldn't want them around...or cross them.

A related passage from the memoirs of Thomas Adolphus Trollope, written in 1888 but recalling the period around 1840. Sir George is Sir George Musgrave of Edenhall, owner of the famous Luck:

"Sir George had, or affected to have, considerable respect for all the little local superstitions and beliefs which are so prevalent in that "north countree." And the kindness with which he welcomed us as neighbors when we built a house and came to live there was shown, despite a strong feeling which he had, or affected to have, with regard to an incident which fatally marked our debut in that country. We bought a field in a very beautiful situation, overlooking the ruins of Brougham Castle and the confluence of the Eden with the Lowther, and proceeded to build a house on the higher part of it. But there was a considerable drop from the lower limit of our ground to the road which skirted the property and furnished the only access to it. There was some difficulty, therefore, in contriving a tolerable entrance from the road for wheel-traffic, and it was found necessary to cause a tiny little spring that rose in the bank by the roadside to change its course in some small degree. The affair seemed to us a matter of infinitesimal importance, but Sir George was dismayed. We had moved, he said, a holy well, and the consequence would surely be that we should never succeed in establishing ourselves in that spot.

"And, surely enough, we never did so succeed; for, after having built a very nice little house, and lived in it one winter and half a summer, we - for I cannot say that it was my mother more than I, or I more than my mother - made up our minds that "the sun yoked his horses too far from Penrith town," and that we had had enough of it. Sir George, of course, when he heard our determination, while he expressed all possible regret at losing us as neighbours, said that he knew perfectly well that it must be so, from the time that we so recklessly meddled with the holy well."

From an obscure old site cached at Archive.org

And didn't he instruct them how to resanctify it? Perhaps he didn't want them as neighbours.

I stayed a while in Cornwall in the summer, many holy wells there. In fact I was directed to one upon five minutes from arriving.

But I wouldn't drink from any, most are full of green ick...or heavy metals.

Now it's up to the supreme court...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... ad-project
Elf lobby blocks Iceland road project

Elf advocates in Iceland have joined forces with environmentalists to urge authorities to abandon a highway project that they claim will disturb elf habitat, including an elf church.

The project has been halted until the supreme court of Iceland rules on a case brought by a group known as Friends of Lava, who cite both the environmental impact and the detrimental effect on elf culture of the road project.

The group has regularly mobilised hundreds of people to block bulldozers building a direct route from the tip of the Álftanes peninsula, where the president has a property, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer.

Issues about Huldufolk (Icelandic for "hidden folk") have affected planning decisions before, and the road and coastal administration has come up with a stock media response for elf inquiries, which states in part that "issues have been settled by delaying the construction project at a certain point while the elves living there have supposedly moved on".

Scandinavian folklore is full of elves, trolls and other mythological characters. Most people in Norway, Denmark and Sweden haven't taken them seriously since the 19th century, but elves are no joke to many in Iceland.

A survey conducted by the University of Iceland in 2007 found that 62% of the 1,000 respondents thought it was at least possible that elves exist.

Ragnhildur Jonsdottir, a self-proclaimed "seer", believes she can communicate with the creatures through telepathy.

"It will be a terrible loss and damaging both for the elf world and for us humans," said Jonsdottir of the road project.

Though many of the Friends of Lava are motivated primarily by environmental concerns, they see the elf issue as part of a wider concern for the history and culture of the very unique landscape.

Andri Snaer Magnason, a well-known environmentalist, said his major concern was that the road would cut the lava field in two and destroy nesting sites.

"Some feel that the elf thing is a bit annoying," said Magnason, adding that he was not sure they existed. However, he said: "I got married in a church with a god just as invisible as the elves, so what might seem irrational is actually quite common [with Icelanders]."

Terry Gunnell, a folklore professor at the University of Iceland, said he was not surprised by the wide acceptance of the possibility of elves.

"This is a land where your house can be destroyed by something you can't see (earthquakes), where the wind can knock you off your feet, where the smell of sulphur from your taps tells you there is invisible fire not far below your feet, where the northern lights make the sky the biggest television screen in the world, and where hot springs and glaciers 'talk'," Gunnell said.

"In short, everyone is aware that the land is alive, and one can say that the stories of hidden people and the need to work carefully with them reflects an understanding that the land demands respect."

Gunnell said similar beliefs are found in western Ireland, but they thrive in Iceland because people remain in close contact with the land. Parents still let their children play out in the wilderness – often late into the night. Vast pristine areas remain, even near the capital, Reykjavik.

"If you ask an Icelander about elves, they might say they don't believe," said Jonsdottir. "But we always have stories of them, if not from ourselves then from someone close like a family member. Of course, not everyone believes in the stories, but the stories and the elves are still there and being told."

Jarvis Cocker's series Wireless Nights has been in Iceland for its 3rd and 4th episodes, and last night's was about Icelandic folklore. Hear here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04n31d8

Very entertaining, featuring people talking to elves (but no recording of the elves talking back). Warning: there's an anecdote about something unmentionable happening in a graveyard the more sensitive might not wish to know about (it was broadcast at 11pm). Probably won't be on Pick of the Week, that bit.

A new book on Icelandic Elves.

“Elves Live Here.” On Modern Icelandic Elflore and the Shades of Belief​

Nancy Marie Brown Considers the Stories Surrounding the Country’s “Hidden Folk”​

By Nancy Marie Brown

October 24, 2022
On my first trip to Iceland, in 1986, my husband and I visited the families of three Icelandic graduate students we knew from Penn State University, where I worked: an economist, a seismologist, and a mathematician. Driving us to her house outside of Reykjavik, the mathematician’s mother, Thyri, pointed out a cluster of rocks in the middle of a small fenced lawn at a bend in the road. “Elves live there,” she said.

Thyri was a teacher, her English was excellent, but I was never quite sure when she was joking. One night she served us a formal dinner—white tablecloth, flowers—and out from the kitchen, with a flourish, she brought a platter of singed sheep’s heads. Whole heads—eyeballs, teeth in the jaws—blackened to burn off the fleece. The eyes and ears are the best parts, she said. She mimed plucking out an eyeball and popping it into her mouth, rolling it about, licking her lips. Seeing me barely pick at my head, she took pity on us and brought out a second platter of broiled lamb steaks. (The family, on the other hand, devoured the sheep’s heads.) Was she likewise teasing about the elves in the rocks?

Maybe, maybe not.

“Practically every summer,” wrote Icelandic ethnologist Valdimar Hafstein in the Journal of Folktale Studies in 2000, “a new legend is disseminated through newspapers, television, and radio, as well as word of mouth, about yet another construction project gone awry due to elven interference.” Unlike most urban legends, these are based on “the experience of real people involved in the events.”
That the news reports “are often mildly tongue-in-cheek” does not, in his opinion, “detract from the widespread concern they represent.” In August 2016, for example, an Icelandic newspaper printed the story “Elf Rock Restored after Its Removal Wreaks Havoc on Icelandic Town.” The previous summer a mudslide fell on a road in the town of Siglufjordur. While clearing the blockage, the road crew dumped four hundred cubic feet of dirt on top of a large rock known as the Elf Lady’s Stone. ...

https://lithub.com/elves-live-here-on-modern-icelandic-elflore-and-the-shades-of-belief/

Back