• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

French boys find gold

The boys, both aged about 10, asked to build a makeshift hut in the garden using branches, leaves and sheets.

Their father, a businessman in his 60s, told them that they could use their late grandmother's sheets, which were in a spare room.

When they went to collect them "two fairly heavy objects" fell out, Philippe Rouillac, a local auctioneer, told BFMTV. "They didn't pay attention to them and put them back."

Image shows one of the discovered gold bars

Great. All my rellies have to ask churchmice for loans...

maximus otter

Minnesota man finds $150,000 surprise in bank account

A Minnesota man who discovered an unexpected $150,000 in his bank account said he eventually learned the money had been intended for small business relief.

Thomas Fahling, 73, of Crystal, said he was surprised to discover the money in his Sunrise Banks account in the spring, and he assumed someone from the bank would soon realize the error and get in touch with him. ...

Fahling said weeks went by and the money remained in his account, so he contacted the bank to investigate.

The money turned out to be from the Paycheck Protection Program, which was established by Congress to help small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I've never owned a business, so it was quite a shock," Fahling told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Fahling said the bank has now corrected the error. He joked that he had considered absconding to Mexico with the money, but ultimately decided to do the right thing.

"I wouldn't mind having $150,000 of the government's money for a legitimate reason," Fahling said, "but not at the expense of some small business that otherwise might have to lay off workers and close the doors because somebody made an error."

An Indiana man made a similar -- but much larger -- discovery in April when he checked his bank account to see if his $1,700 stimulus had arrived and instead discovered $8.2 million.

Charles Calvin said he called his bank the following day and was told his account had returned to normal -- but his $1,700 stimulus payment had arrived. He said his bank did not disclose the cause of the error.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...50000-surprise-in-bank-account/7721598384353/

Years ago I banked a cheque for $73,000 which two days later I was surprised to see had been deposited twice into my account. Being the honest chap that I am, I did bring it to the attention of the manager who seemed quite surprised by the error. It took over a week to rectify it.

Kimchi Kooler Kontains Kold Kash!
Man finds $130,000 taped to bottom of used fridge

Police in South Korea said they are investigating after a man bought a used kimchi fridge online and found $130,000 cash taped to the bottom.

Police on Jeju Island said the man filed a police report Aug. 6 saying he was cleaning the recently-delivered fridge when he found the cash stash taped to the bottom of the appliance. ...

Investigators said they are working to identify the online seller of the refrigerator and are talking to the people involved in its transportation and delivery.

South Korea's Lost and Found Act states the cash will become the property of the man who bought the fridge if the rightful owner can't be tracked down. The money will become the property of the state if it is found to have been involved in a crime.

A 2016 report in The Korea Times documented the trend of people keeping their money stored in kimchi fridges amid record low bank interest rates in South Korea. The report said an average kimchi fridge can hold up to $895,200 cash.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...bottom-Jeju-Island-South-Korea/4511628884502/

This week my horoscope said I would get some unexpected money and I thought " Yeah right".
This week I got a letter from some lawyers who are mounting a class action against a superannuation company over fees .
If they win I may get something. If they lose I don't have to pay.

An armored car's rear door popped open on a southern California expressway and multiple bags of cash fell out - littering the entire expressway with money and people scrambling to grab it up. Traffic ground to a halt, and it took about 1.5 hours to clear the scene. Check the video (link below) for a sense of how chaotic it was.

I5-$$$-211119.jpg
Drivers scramble as cash falls from armored truck on freeway

Drivers scrambled to grab cash Friday morning after bags of money fell out of an armored truck on a Southern California freeway, authorities said.

The incident occurred shortly before 9:15 a.m. on Interstate 5 in Carlsbad as the truck was heading from San Diego to an office of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp ...

“One of the doors popped open and bags of cash fell out,” California Highway Patrol Sgt. Curtis Martin said.

Several bags broke open, spreading money — mainly $1 and $20 bills — all over the lanes and bringing the freeway to a chaotic halt, Martin said.

Video posted online showed some people laughing and leaping as they held wads of cash.

Two people were arrested at the scene, and Martin warned that any others who are found to have taken the money could face criminal charges. He noted there was plenty of video taken by bystanders at the scene and that the CHP and FBI were investigating. ...

Authorities didn’t immediately say how much money was lost. However, at least a dozen people had returned money they collected to the CHP by Friday afternoon ...

The freeway was reopened shortly before 11 a.m.
FULL STORY:
https://apnews.com/article/oddities-california-san-diego-traffic-a0879c528908dfed9aa5bcc31ffeb3dc

VIDEO accessible at this local news site:
https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...te-5/509-5b750fb5-82e0-4dc4-8897-ba8e63199700

An armored car's rear door popped open on a southern California expressway and multiple bags of cash fell out - littering the entire expressway with money and people scrambling to grab it up. Traffic ground to a halt, and it took about 1.5 hours to clear the scene. Check the video (link below) for a sense of how chaotic it was.

FULL STORY:
https://apnews.com/article/oddities-california-san-diego-traffic-a0879c528908dfed9aa5bcc31ffeb3dc

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...te-5/509-5b750fb5-82e0-4dc4-8897-ba8e63199700

Amateurs! This is one of the reasons why l always carry a Buff with me:

354008-05-d-759525.jpg

maximus otter

A lady handed in a wodge of notes at work the other night, that she'd found in front of one of the machines. Came to over a hundred quid, and we stuck it in the safe waiting for someone to come in and claim it. They can't possibly have failed to notice losing that amount of money, there was hardly anyone in the shop that night so we've got a list of people it might be and none of them can afford to lose it.

Nobody has claimed that money. I am gobsmacked at how someone could drop that amount and not at least try to trace where it had gone! We get phone calls all the time from people trying to find their phones, car keys, various items of lost property, but this is still waiting. I can only conclude that it was ill-gotten gains from something that nobody wants to admit to having.

By the way, it goes to charity if nobody claims it.

San Diego freeway frenzy after armoured van spills money

A spillage from an armoured van sparked a mad scramble - and police arrests - on a US freeway on Friday morning.
Videos on social media show money raining down as people scramble to pick up dollars strewn across the road.
It happened on the Interstate 5 highway in California's San Diego county.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59358070

Over 20 years ago, a bloke I knew and his mate walked up to me in Burton on Trent a bit breathless with excitement. It turned out his mate worked for a company that fixed check out tills, he'd been given a few to fix, he'd removed the plastic cash trays to find loads of unused gift vouchers for a famous national store, £5, £10 and £20 vouchers. I was told I could keep all of the £5 vouchers if I let them use my car to count all the vouchers so that's what we did. The store never contacted this lad's company looking for them so we guessed one of their members of staff was on the fiddle, I made a few hundred quid out of that one, I sold most of them for 2 for a fiver with a warning not to spend them in that particular store. Dishonest I know and I wouldn't do that these days but a lot of us had a good Christmas that year.

FULL STORY:

Is it just me, or do all these idiots scooping up money and literally jumping for joy look like they're acting (badly) instead of actually celebrating? I'm not sure if it's just having fun with this incident or a symptom of our smartphone culture, but rather than living in the moment, they all look like they have to document the moment in a very staged way.

Also, the wad in that overly excited woman's hands appears to be made up of one-dollar bills, and most of the cash around her seems to be the same. Is that really cause for that much of a reaction?

Is it just me, or do all these idiots scooping up money and literally jumping for joy look like they're acting (badly) instead of actually celebrating? I'm not sure if it's just having fun with this incident or a symptom of our smartphone culture, but rather than living in the moment, they all look like they have to document the moment in a very staged way.

Also, the wad in that overly excited woman's hands appears to be made up of one-dollar bills, and most of the cash around her seems to be the same. Is that really cause for that much of a reaction?
Y'know they do have procedures for armored cars. The cash is not just floating around in the van. It's bank- banded or it's sealed in heavy bags from the shop to be counted at the HQ. He forgot to do what to the door? There's more going on here. Sounds like a scene in a comic film.

Y'know they do have procedures for armored cars. The cash is not just floating around in the van. It's bank- banded or it's sealed in heavy bags from the shop to be counted at the HQ. He forgot to do what to the door? There's more going on here. Sounds like a scene in a comic film.
From what I heard the cash was in bags and some bags broke open. But you do make a good point: I find it difficult to believe the doors were so sloppily closed that this could happen.

From what I heard the cash was in bags and some bags broke open. But you do make a good point: I find it difficult to believe the doors were so sloppily closed that this could happen.
Those bags are either non-cuttable heavy duty plastic sealed or they are old fashioned canvas sealed. The don't just break open. They don't just shove it into brown paper bags.. The doors close and lock.

... He forgot to do what to the door? There's more going on here. Sounds like a scene in a comic film.
One of the early / breaking news stories mentioned there'd been some sort of traffic(?) "incident" involving the armored car prior to the expressway cash dump. I don't know whether that was a reporting error versus an allusion to something that might help explain how this could happen.

Yep ... The cash that was dumped on the highway consisted of lower-denomination bills.

Agreed ... The whole scene seemed to be monkey business for the sake of self-promoting social media content - i.e., what passes for 'substance' in today's society.

A New Jersey homeowner discovered two rolled-up bundles of Depression-era currency with a face value of around $1000 that had been buried in a crawl space.
Mysterious buried cash dated 1934 unearthed in Jersey Shore renovation

As Rich Gilson excavated debris around his house in Wildwood Friday, he didn’t initially realize that he had just unearthed a Jersey Shore mystery - tightly-wound $10 and $20 bills totaling about $1,000 that may have been buried for up to 90 years. ...

Using a rented mini-excavator, Rich Gilson encountered plenty of rocks and parts of the old foundation as he worked on Friday. Then he spotted two “little round things” maybe 2 inches in diameter and about 3.5 inches long.

“I thought they were weeds,” Gilson told NJ Advance Media. “I picked them up and just threw them aside and they went into the pile I was using for fill.”

It rained Saturday and he didn’t get much work done, but returned to the task on Sunday, when he again spotted one of the objects. On closer examination, Gilson realized the tightly-wound tube was brown paper bound with rubber bands.

“I got to look at the edge and it had a green tint to it and I said, ‘This is money,’” Gilson said. “It looked like little mini-cigars all bound up together. As I broke it apart, I started to see what it was.”

What he found inside were $10 and $20 bills, some looking as fresh as they day they were printed. It was $1,000 in all. ...

Gilson discovered another mystery as he examined each of the bills.

“Every bill is dated 1934, Series A, which I thought was strange,” he said. “If you go in your pocket right now and look at your bills … they’re not all the same year. It just doesn’t happen that way.”

Gilson figures the money wasn’t earned through legit means. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/...934-unearthed-in-jersey-shore-renovation.html

A New Jersey homeowner discovered two rolled-up bundles of Depression-era currency with a face value of around $1000 that had been buried in a crawl space.

FULL STORY: https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/...934-unearthed-in-jersey-shore-renovation.html
Amazing story! And Wildwood NJ is an upscale area, and people during the Great Depression of the 1930's didn't trust banks, they would hide their money. I've heard stories where they hid rolls of money inside their socks. LOL

Amazing story! And Wildwood NJ is an upscale area, and people during the Great Depression of the 1930's didn't trust banks, they would hide their money. I've heard stories where they hid rolls of money inside their socks. LOL
I think I've mentioned on here before that when my mum died we found lots of notes hidden around her bedroom. She had several bank accounts, but we just assume that she started out keeping money close to hand in case she needed cash (she lived quite a way from the nearest bank and ATM), and as her dementia worsened, she started to distrust banks and preferred to keep her money where she could see it.

I think I've mentioned on here before that when my mum died we found lots of notes hidden around her bedroom. She had several bank accounts, but we just assume that she started out keeping money close to hand in case she needed cash (she lived quite a way from the nearest bank and ATM), and as her dementia worsened, she started to distrust banks and preferred to keep her money where she could see it.
Speaking of which, now your book is out, I expect I'll be getting some 'money from out of the blue'. A tenner at least, I would think.

A long time ago, a few days before payday, I was in Target and looking at a product for eyebrow waxing that my friend had recommended. I am not fussy about my appearance but I thought I might try it. I saw the price for a tiny jar of the was was 20.00 and I thought, If I had an extra 20.00 I would.... (can't remember my list). The next stop was the post office to check my mail. It was Sunday so the parking lot was empty. When I came back to the car with my mail there was a 20.00 bill lying next to my car. The parking lot was still empty except for my car. It was a gift. I can't remember what I did with that extra 20.00.

A New Jersey homeowner discovered two rolled-up bundles of Depression-era currency with a face value of around $1000 that had been buried in a crawl space. ...

Update ...

The face value of the bundled cash was apparently $2000, and the homeowners were able to track down a descendant of the person who owned the house during the Great Depression. The descendant knew the explanation for the cash stash ...
New Jersey couple solve mystery of Depression-era cash buried in yard

A New Jersey couple said they solved the mystery of $2,000 they unearthed in their yard while doing work on their home.

Richard and Suzanne Gilson said they bought their 1920s-era cottage in Wildwood about four years ago ...

Richard Gilson was excavating the front yard recently when he dug up what he ... later realized were tightly-rolled bundles of cash totaling $2,000.

The couple said they initially thought the money, dated 1934, may have been tied to criminal activity decades earlier.

"When we looked it up, the value of $2,000 back in 1934 is $40,000 dollars [today]" ...

The couple said the mystery was solved when they were able to speak to the granddaughter of James Dempsey, who owned the house during the Great Depression.

The granddaughter, who now lives in Colorado, said Dempsey instructed her mother to bury the money in the front yard of their home in the 1930s. She said the family searched for years, but was never able to locate the stashed cash. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/07/28/buried-cash-yard-Wildwood-New-Jersey/7541659035675/

Back