• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moon Landing: Hoaxed?

An episode of "Mythbusters" featured a segment about the flag-flapping business. They set up a similar flag in an airless room, shook the pole a bit and - hey presto! - it flapped around for a bit, before gradually slowing down. It's fun to watch shows like the one you saw, though, as long as you maintain a critical eye!
This morning I watched a documentary about UFOs (again on Netflix). So now I'm utterly convinced. Except the moment you look into some of the cases they uncritically show on these docs you find there's far more controversy about them than they admit to. Which isn't hard because those docs don't portray any controversy at all.

It's pretty obvious Kubrick didn't shoot the moon landings, there were no long tracking shots. Stanley loved his tracking shots :)
Except for the one where the lunar module takes off.

I thought 'tracking' just meant the camera followed the target.

It's so called because originally the camera was on tracks, like a train. Nowadays they use Steadicam or don't bother and keep it all wobbly.

I'm still hoping for a moon landing blooper reel.
Outtakes...like the time when Buzz took off his helmet to scratch his nose, and Neil unleashed a giant fart in the LEM...

Well, as he got it wrong they probably should have done a few more takes.

Originally NASA chose Ken Russell to fake the moon landings but ended up with a naked Oliver Reed wrestling nuns in a bath of baked beans to the tune of the 1812 Overture.

I adored Altered States. K Russel can tweak my consciousness anytime. mm hmm.

Originally NASA chose Ken Russell to fake the moon landings but ended up with a naked Oliver Reed wrestling nuns in a bath of baked beans to the tune of the 1812 Overture.
I think that's on the extras with the first DVD release of "NASA Apollo 69-72" seems to be missing from subsequent releases though ;)

NASA also politely demurred from using Ingmar Bergman's submission ...

Two astronauts stand alone in a bleak black-and-white scene. One stares at his own footprints in the lunar dust. The other gazes at the horizon.

Ten minutes pass ...

The astronaut staring at his own footprints: "It staggers my very capacity for belief to see we're really here."

Other astronaut: "Cling to your belief at all costs. Nothing else is real, much less really. Not you ... Not me ... Not here ..."

Two minutes pass ...

The flag twitches.

(A proposed second installment involving playing a crude computer game to force the malfunctioning LEM into lifting them back off the moon's surface was never filmed.)

When we don't go to Mars I hope they get Michael Bay to fake it.

I'm afraid Michael Bay would just give us something similar to the Challenger incident.

There was also Sam Peckinpah's moon landing.
First words on the moon:
Neil Armstrong: Let's go.
Buzz Aldrin: Why not?
There followed a 20 minute long shoot out in one sixth gravity slo-mo.

The Hitchcock submission didn't fare any better ...

Astronaut N is standing on the lunar surface, looking down at a folded flag apparatus in his hands. Astronaut B finishes climbing down off the LEM and turns to face him.

B: "What are you waiting for? Plant the flag!"

(In the mid-distance a bald bejowled head rises from behind a boulder, then sinks back into hiding ...)

N: "What's so important about this flag? And what's going on? All I did was mention 'Wapakoneta', and a bunch of serious-looking guys seize me, stuff me into this diving suit, duct-tape this flag to my chest, and stick a needle into my neck. I wake up crammed into a little bathyscaph and try to escape, only to find the ocean's disappeared. The drugs haven't worn off, because I feel really light-headed and bouncy on my feet. Where's Mary? ..."

(In the mid-distance the bald bejowled head pops up again. The figure stands upright, revealing itself to be a dumpy older man in a suit. He picks up the boulder without effort, slowly walks a couple of meters, sets the boulder down, and once again hides behind it.)

B: "Calm down, now ... Maybe you're right ... Maybe it's just some sort of bad dream ... Just plant the flag and go back to sleep ..."

N: "Who the hell are you? I'm starting to wonder if your name is really Buzz ..."

(A bald bejowled head appears in one of the LEM's windows, peers down at the astronauts, wipes the window in a circular motion as if to clear away fogginess, and retreats into the interior darkness.)

(A bright spot on the far horizon is seen to move and become larger. It slowly resolves itself into a Soyuz capsule, heading straight for the astronauts. Sparkling dots appear on the capsule's face, and twin lines of lunar dust puffing upward in slow motion progress across the ground toward the astronauts.)

B: "Just plant the damned flag, will you?!?"

N: "I-I-I ... Mary! Mary!"

(N drops the flag, which unfurls in the dust to reveal a bald bejowled face emblazoned on it.)

(Both astronauts frantically bunny-hop into the camera. Fade to black ...)

Funny how no one has seen the dark side of the moon from the earth. Their explanation is that the moon's rotation is syncronized to the earths rotation in such a way as to present only one view of the moon from the earth no matter where you are on the earth. Sure!

Funny how no one has seen the dark side of the moon from the earth. Their explanation is that the moon's rotation is syncronized to the earths rotation in such a way as to present only one view of the moon from the earth no matter where you are on the earth. Sure!
No mystery. The same applies to all (or most) moons in the solar system. Tidal (i.e. gravitational) forces act between orbiting bodies to slow their rotation. This happens quicker to the smaller body (a moon) which soon becomes 'locked' on its primary.

But the process still continues. The earth's rotation is being slowed by the Moon - in the distant future, the 'day' will be equal to the 'month', and the earth will show just one side to the Moon, as the Moon does now to the earth. (The tidal interaction also results in the Moon being driven further from the Earth.)

But lunar orbiters have comprehensively filmed the far side of the Moon, but the only humans to have seen it with their own eyes, so far, were the Apollo astronauts.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking

Last edited:

What Rynner said. Unless you were being facetious, of course.

Anyway, don't worry, it's not even dark. I've seen photos, which I choose to believe, gullible fool that I am.

^:D
Apparently there are a lot of us gullible fools around ....

Anyway, don't worry, it's not even dark. I've seen photos, which I choose to believe, gullible fool that I am.

Actual satellite pictures, courtesy of Phil Plait

Moon_zpshygfqb1t.gif

Yes, that's another one. Trouble is, I have a vivid imagination and if I start thinking about the vast scale of heavenly bodies like planets I can really freak myself out for the rest of the day, sort of a "don't think of the blue monkey" type thing.

Yes, that's another one. Trouble is, I have a vivid imagination and if I start thinking about the vast scale of heavenly bodies like planets I can really freak myself out for the rest of the day, sort of a "don't think of the blue monkey" type thing.
Blue_monkey_brewery_logo.jpg

Back