• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moon Landing: Hoaxed?

Fortis - "A new or radical idea must be subjected to rigorous scrutiny before it is going to be accepted. In this case, if the conspiracy theory survived all that was flung in its direction, then we would grant it some respect."

Yeah true. I'm sometimes autocratic in that respect.

OK, the stuff that's been flung, so far:

1) That thousands of people worked on the project, and that some of them would have fessed up.

A) If thousands of people work on a project, chaos theory superimposed on sociology DOES confirm that a few WOULD fess up. BUT in an organised cover-up, only a very few people need know the truth, whilst the 'thousands' are just along for the ride.

2) The laser reflectors (assuming they are necessary) were left by the moon men.

A) 1) I really think we should consider the possibility that one can pick up a laser signal of a specific frequency bounced off of moon rock itself. 2) If cats eyes ARE required, they could be placed by a simple, cheap, unmanned mission.

THAT'S IT, right?

And the points that it WAS staged:

Physical

That as technology stands today (let alone 1969) It would be impossible to take off from the moon to return home in the way that it shown. It it shown that through a single explosion or sudden release of compressed gas, the lander returns to lunar orbit to rendezvous with the orbiter.

To be able to calculate this in advance, the NASA mathematicians would have required an almost perfectly flat plane for the lunar landing/takeoff. This could not have been guaranteed. There is too much possibility for error, and any mission planner would not have allowed this scenario to occur.

Circumstantial

1) The acknowledged reason for the moon landing (real/faked) was communism. To a) reaffirm in the American people their superiority to the Soviets, and to b) make that impression to the many small states that were sitting on the fence at that time.

This really is a very simple, and the true, reason. Propaganda. The agency that was most concerned with anti-Soviet and pro-American propaganda was the CIA. The agency who's JOB it would have been to conduct the moon landings was the CIA. The CIA, like all intelligence services, uses the strategies and arts of deception to cause maximum effectiveness with minimum expenditure. It would have been the CIA's first instinct to fake the landing, and spend the remaining $60 Billion (Apollo cost $64B in todays terms) on tasks it would have considered more important at the time.

Here is a quote - Ed Koch talking to CIA Director Dick Helms in 1969 - (source here)
My question was, "Would you tell us, please, the size of the CIA's budget?". The director laughed and said, "That's one of the questions we never answer". I said, "You mean to say I, as a congressman voting on your budget, will not know how much I'm voting for?" He replied, "That's right. Our budget is buried in some other agency's budget, and is not identified as such." I said, "You mean the CIA's budget could be buried in the budget of the Social Security Administration?" He laughed and said, "Yes: we've never used that one, but its not a bad idea."

I suggest that the CIA's budget was 'buried' in NASA's for at least the latter part of the 1960's.

And how's this for one of the MANY tasks that the CIA would have considered more important at the time? (source here)
"over one-quarter of the 30,000 men in Vang Pao`s army were killed or wounded between 1967-71. By the time the bombing was finally terminated, more than two million tons of bombs had been dropped on Laos alone, more than the total tonnage dropped by American aircraft throughout the Second World War and some 750,000 people, fully 25 percent of the country`s population, had been forced to flee their homes. The operations had been financed from U.S. taxes. As much as $5 billion had been spent on this `secret war`, 10 per cent of this expenditure having been met out of the CIA budget"

2) The stills recently published in FT from the interview with the moon heros just after they returned, where Armstrong et al truly do look like they are beginning a life sentence, rather than beginning a life of hero-worship.

---

There's more to add to that list, but that, I hope, is the groundwork for the 'serious' issues.

Believe it or not, my only agenda here is to expand people's horizons.
In my view, the more people there are who are willing to accept that the moon landings were staged, the more people there are who are willing to accept the existence of the more important cover-ups.

Hey JamesM - "I'm now going to suggest that the moon really is made of cheese. Nasa could prove me wrong by sending some astronauts, but I have a feeling they won't. And it must be because I'm right." - Spuriously Irrelevant! Next!

The LEM propusion is pretty simple. The initial 'explosion' are bolts being sheared. After that, its not doing an instantaneous acceleration to lunar ascape velocity, its using , pretty small, quite powerful vectoring jets (which are not flames BTW,but more like the hydrogen peroxide engines used by the one man flying device as seen in James Bond, which was ther real deal) there are around 8 of these small chemical jets, which between them generate more than the thrust to accelerate the LEM to tlunar escape velocity, and insert it into the Command Module orbit . Most of this technology had been hanging around in the US military hardware idea since WW2.

8¬)

It certainly sounds like most of that is true, which is impressive by the way. I don't have unlimited time, so I'm going to take your word for it!

OK, you're attacking the one piece of physical evidence I've put thus far. OK, that's cool.

I'll briefly defend by questioning these explosive bolts (which release some compressed gas?). You're still talking about a huge bit of thrust at take off right? Still requiring a level surface when doing the calculations for fear of flying off in the wrong direction. A flat surface being very difficult to assure.

Perhaps Stu might enlighten you with fresh physical evidence! I'm hoping someone will comment on that vast weight and depth of circumstantial evidence I spent quite some time researching at the end of page 9.

MuscularSpasm said:
Perhaps Stu might enlighten you with fresh physical evidence! I'm hoping someone will comment on that vast weight and depth of circumstantial evidence I spent quite some time researching at the end of page 9.

Aw hell, I was gonna sit back with a margarita and await further developments. But, now you've brought it up, the one that no-one has mentioned yet: yes it's the
RADIATION SHIELD EFFECTIVENESS QUESTION , ie that the Apollos had a skin not a great deal thicker than bacofoil, and that out past the Van Allen belts our chiselled heroes would have been dead from rad sickness before they reached the moon, let alone strolled about on it.

I don't know the answer to this, or even if any of it's true, but I've seen is used as Exhibit A in one or two things before now.

Anyone know?

MuscularSpasm said:
I'll briefly defend by questioning these explosive bolts (which release some compressed gas?). You're still talking about a huge bit of thrust at take off right? Still requiring a level surface when doing the calculations for fear of flying off in the wrong direction. A flat surface being very difficult to assure.

Telescopic legs on the LEM, guided by a gyro, to make sure that the LEM was sitting upright. The ground under it then becomes irrelevent.

Oh and I met a genuine Lunanaught when I was a sprog and I believe that we went to the moon. So there!

Niles "Fly me to the moon..." Calder

I appreciate your point regarding telescopic legs, but that clearly isn't the case from this picture
apollo5.jpg

Which at least one true believer has acknowledged *really* looks like a film set.
The lander is clearly lurching to the side, a touch that a skeptic might point to as building realism into the film set. While it has the scientific problems I've touched apon.

But regarding your meeting of a lunanaught, that's something I don't want to step on in any way.

I acknowledge it's a double-edged sword, pointing out that man has not been to the moon. The feel-good factor is a great thing.

Personally, I get a feel-good factor from knowing that it IS possible, and will be done some day, constructively. There is also a feel-good factor to be drawn from seeing oneself as a 'primary politician' - one who can see the world as it really is, and work with that absence of limitation.

MuscularSpasm said:
I appreciate your point regarding telescopic legs, but that clearly isn't the case from this picture
apollo5.jpg

Which at least one true believer has acknowledged *really* looks like a film set.
The lander is clearly lurching to the side
The photographer is clearly downhill from the lander, so this could merely be a perspective effect, or a lens distortion effect..

Even more likely is that the camera was somewhat angled. I have taken numerous photos at sea, and with the best will in the world it's very hard to get the horizon level! On the moon, with no such visual reference, it's bound to be hit and miss.

Personally, I get a feel-good factor from knowing that it IS possible, and will be done some day, constructively.

Yes, it must be satisfying to be one of the very few who know the real truth. I'm very happy for you!

MuscularSpasm said:
The lander is clearly lurching to the side, a touch that a skeptic might point to as building realism into the film set. While it has the scientific problems I've touched apon.

You are assuming that the LEM possessed no atitude control system so that it could not orient itself in the correct direction during the "burn." That, however, is incorrect. All it takes is a short "puff" on the attitude thrusters near the start of the burn (but after seperation) to point it in the correct direction. No problem.;)

(Note if it didn't have any attitude control, then it would never attain lunar orbit, or rather the only orbit that it could have attained would have been one that intersected with the lunar surface. CRUNCH!!!)

And the rad shield thing....?

I don't know - can someone who knows more about physics than me comment, perhaps. A lot of the lunar conspiracists do bang on about it though.:confused:

No, not a huge amount of thrust. The mass isnt there. Basically the recovered portion of the LEM weighs on earth about the same as a transit van. On the moon youre looking at one 6th that, about the same as the US 'Flying bedstead' which didnt need 'huge amounts of thrust' to list it off the ground, no a level surface to lift from, since it used similar vectoring jets to the LEM. Small levelling burst and then lift vertically untill you run out of fuel, unless of course you insert in to the low orbit of the Command Module, and you then cut over to small adjustment and orientaition bursts with something that that it trying to meet up with you.

Radiation. OK nasty one since it involves some approximations. The aimed for does of radiation per astronaut was supposed not to exceed 2ren. Having done a bit of digging, the thickness of Aluminium required to stop increasing energies of ionising radiation (alpha and beta doing the worst damage, to biological tissue) is as follows:-

(energy is measured in MeV) showing the penetration thru Aluminium in cm)

Energy= 1
Electron penetration 0.15 cm
Proton pen. NIL

E=3
EP=0.56
PP=NIL

E=10
EP=1.85
PP=0.37

E=30
EP= Not Stopped
PP=0.37

E=100
EP=Not Stopped
PP=3.70

you dont get many, high altitude eletrons (alpha radiation) at energies greater than 7MeV (density is <1 electron at that energy/cm/s) Bear in mind, that neither alpha nor beta readiation proagates welltrough gas at low eneries so, you have a layer of 'bacofoil',about 1mm thick, and evelope of air, the thin tin foil on the suits (couple of microns at best) more air then, the piece de resistance the copper weave thermal inner suit. From the POV of biologically hazardous inoising radiation, we're worse off in street clothes on earth than we would be in a suit in the LEM. The major risk for Ionisaing radiation however was not on the moon, where the density of that sort of particle is lower, not being channeled by a strong magnetic field, but in the Van Allen belt where the particles are fluxed together by our own magnetic field.

BTW, the lower the energy on a particle the more damaging it is likely to be since it has a higher probaility of striking a cell nucleus.

Sources (mish mash of my A level physics books and various links off the link posted by JamesM)

8¬)

rynner - "Yes, it must be satisfying to be one of the very few who know the real truth. I'm very happy for you!"

Harry H Krishna, That's acidic. Tell me, does your skin dry out fast?

And still no one tries to rebutt the weight of circumstantial evidence at the end of page 9.

I'm sure someone could reply to it, with some conviction. But those points will always remain.

There are those who choose to see them, and those who choose to ignore them. That's it.

There are some who come back to this thread, not to see new evidence or ideas, such as burying the CIA budget in another budget, or scientific data on radiation poisoning, but to rebutt at any cost.

I'm moving to human remote control, electrodes in rats, manchurian candidates, al gore cheated to get as far as he did, and John Major was a lizard. It'll be less controversial.

Muscle,

The problem with the circumstantial evidence is that it could apply to virtually anthing USGov did in the 60s, not just NASA, therefore, its then the mind of the beholder to see the link to what ever you fancy applying it to. All it shows is that the CIA bufget was hidden else where. $200 dollar toilet seats spring to mind on certain Govermental Building projects. Its unlikely that the CIA budget would come from one single place, as the Congressman suggests, more likely its ammassed across numerous budgets, since a program could be cut and the CIA with it, potentially. In the end, the logic you apply cannot be logically disproven, since it is subjective interpretation of verifiable fact. It is, in many ways like hte Russian revisionist history which is doing the rounds in the former USSR, which, in terms of itself is impossible to disporve, since any reference to an external source can be discounted as 'disinformation' Against that, you can't win and you can't break even... so time for me to resign quietly. Touche, my dear Spasm, touche!

8¬)

MuscularSpasm said:
Believe it or not, my only agenda here is to expand people's horizons.

Why don't you start by expanding your own? Even though you claim that youve got no agenda you've spent pages arguing that we never went to the moon based on the... erm... evidence. Why don't you take another look at all the evidence open mindedly and try and sum up whats really going on bearing in mind that theres a lot of poeple out there who want to lead you in different directions. I've read lots of evidence by 'we never went to the moon' and 'of course we went to the moon' poeple. Theres few poeple out there who actually look at it open mindedly.

Adam, you're one of the few that has consistently put down proponents of this theory just for the sake of it.

You suggest I expand my horizons, when I am the only person consistently questioning an idea that is held by 99.9% of all people?

(sits back. breathes.)

What never ceases to amaze me is the revolutionary zeal with which some defend unrevolutionary concepts.

It's quite, quite like China. Be a good revolutionary and continue to do what we did yesterday, and last week, and last year, and ten years ago. Oh what a wonderful revolution!

Don't anyone DARE come back with "So you suggest that we believe a new concept JUST because it's new?"

I get it! You don't want to know!

I think the low point was the idea "we read serious books at 15-16 which tell us just how boringly normal the world is". There have been some high points too though.

Well it is an interesting world, so there!

Why do you asume that everyone here cant handle the 'truth'? We're all forteans and I think most poeple here would be secretly delighted if it was suddenly exposed that the moon landings were faked. You've got to stop thinking that your the enlightened one here and we're all slaves afraid to step out of line.

MuscularSpasm said:
Adam, you're one of the few that has consistently put down proponents of this theory just for the sake of it.

You suggest I expand my horizons, when I am the only person consistently questioning an idea that is held by 99.9% of all people?

(sits back. breathes.)

What never ceases to amaze me is the revolutionary zeal with which some defend unrevolutionary concepts.

It's quite, quite like China. Be a good revolutionary and continue to do what we did yesterday, and last week, and last year, and ten years ago. Oh what a wonderful revolution!

Don't anyone DARE come back with "So you suggest that we believe a new concept JUST because it's new?"

Remember that "truth" is not determined by novelty. How about this theory,

1) We did go to the moon.
2) We did it using recovered UFO technology (i.e. Roswell.)
3) The reason that the moon piccies look faked is due to the side-effects of using the technology. (Effectively the 1960's technology is just a thin veneer over the top of some *extremely* sophisticated alien technology.
4) The money *was* spent elsewhere, but on the analysis/reconstruction of the alien tech.
5) Any artefacts/inconsistencies are due to attempts to cover up the use of the alien tech.

What do you reckon?;)

Tell me why this theory is wrong while the other is correct?

(Note that the "moon foootage was faked" theory doesn't do a very good job of explaining the lunar rover phenomena. Dust is clearly being sprayed up behind it. Equally clearly, this is occuring in a vacuum. You can tell this because the dust is moving in a ballistic trajectory and "quickly" falls back down. Note that this doesn't cause any problems with the "theory" outlined above.;))

No, I would suggest we examine a new concept because it's new, in as non-prejudicial manner as possible.

Which is what 98% of us on the board do all the time.

Or so we're told.

Stu

MuscularSpasm said:
It's quite, quite like China.

No, no it isn't. You seem to be interpreting people's reasonable (in my opinion, anyway) desire for facts, logic and evidence as an indication of the paradigm-threatening implications of your ideas. There is an alternative point of view, however, and before I stop contributing to this thread, I shall have one last go at articulating it.

A moon landing hoax is not going to blow our minds. It's not cognitive dissonance or Tony Blair's thought police that stop most people accepting the idea; it's filtered its way into popular culture quite happily, as can be seen in films like "Capricorn One" (ok, that's about Mars) and books, "Omon Ra" by Victor Pelevin, for example.

The CIA certainly *could* have hoaxed the moon landings, but you've not presented a shred of evidence that they or anyone else did, so no-one's going to spend too much time thinking about their possible motivations for carrying out something that didn't even happen. Your speculatons are not evidence of any sort, circumstantial or otherwise. It seems you haven't bothered to look at any of the websites that deal with the moon hoax and I don't personally find uninformed speculation particularly interesting, which is why I am going to stop responding to these posts. But hey, your mileage may vary.

I'm not telling anyone how to think or suggesting they should have to pass an exam on moonhoaxology before they post to the message board, but the combination of wilful ignorance with a patronising "you're all just sheep" attitude is not terribly conducive to further discussion.

AdamRang said:
Why don't you start by expanding your own? Even though you claim that youve got no agenda you've spent pages arguing that we never went to the moon based on the... erm... evidence. Why don't you take another look at all the evidence open mindedly and try and sum up whats really going on bearing in mind that theres a lot of poeple out there who want to lead you in different directions. I've read lots of evidence by 'we never went to the moon' and 'of course we went to the moon' poeple. Theres few poeple out there who actually look at it open mindedly.
Adam, as you're someone who supports David Icke just because the rest of us thing he's a few Reptoids short of a V episode, you can hardly critisise someone who chooses to interpret things in a manner that you personally disagree with.

MuscularSpasm said:

You sound like me disagreeing with with Global Warming, after I read evidence to both suggest that the data upon which the Glorming theory was based was erronius and that even if the world was getting warmer it could be a natural process and not an artificial one. (Hey Ozone is a Greenhouse Gas, but there are these two great holes in the Ozone layer...) But I digress :)

The reason people support current theories is that they hate a) to be wrong, and b) new ideas. In other words, they are Neophobic.

That said, just because an idea is new doesn't make it right. Oh and the "We didn't go to the moon" theory is hardly new, it probably outdates me :)

Or the unrevolutionary zeal with which they defend revolutionary concepts. Like yourself, in other words. People are infected with memes around which they build their entire cognative structure. When, as frequently happens, these memes collapse or become outdated and are replaced with more up-to-date ones these people are forced to rebuild much or their psyche from scratch.

Forteans, on the other hand, have developed a memetic technique in which they dissasociate a meme from its structre and are able to cognate via it without risking psychological damage if, or when, it collapses. Any weakness in the meme and it's discarded in favour of another. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Of course the best defense against memetic collapse is to ignore any datum that contradicts the meme... hence Neophobia.

A Fortean never Believes (Associate a meme into their cognative structure) since it risks cognative injury. That said a Neophobe will Associate new memes into their structrue both as a form of armour around a fragile meme and to rapidly replace a collapsed meme as a form of mental juryrig.

Another Neophobe tactic is to attempt an emergency disassociation by accusing those who are exposing them to contradictory datum of attempting to deny their meme. This reinforces their fragmenting meme, by redefining it as "truth". Cognatively "Truth" is a subjective concept defined by the perceiving entities' conceptual meme-structure. When datum conforms to the majority of the memetic cognative structure it is defined as Truth; when it contradicts the structure it is considered false. Memes become damaged when they are contradicted by datum that conforms to the rest of the structure.

For example Stu Neville 'believes' that astronaughts landed on the moon from Apollo 14 and on because the struggle to get the Astronaughts of Apollo 13 back home. Since he consideres Apollo 13 to be undeniable evidence of attempted moonlandings any moonlandings afterwards must be true, right? (sorry Sir Stu:D)

I think the low point was the idea "we read serious books at 15-16 which tell us just how boringly normal the world is". There have been some high points too though.
Our teenage years are a period when we're most open, both physiological and psychological, to new memes.

Well it is an interesting world...
"Let's keep it that way" - Planetary #1.

Personally I consider that we did go to the moon more interesting than that the landings were faked.

Niles "McUltra? Who's he?" Calder

Niles Calder said:
Adam, as you're someone who supports David Icke just because the rest of us thing he's a few Reptoids short of a V episode, you can hardly critisise someone who chooses to interpret things in a manner that you personally disagree with.

I dont ever recall telling anyone here my personal beleifs concerning Mr Icke, Niles.

)
For example Stu Neville 'believes' that astronaughts landed on the moon from Apollo 14 and on because the struggle to get the Astronaughts of Apollo 13 back home. Since he consideres Apollo 13 to be undeniable evidence of attempted moonlandings any moonlandings afterwards must be true, right? (sorry Sir Stu)

Erm, no. I don't believe it, necessarily. My contribution has been a possible theory as to why they may have faked them (which I've re-stated once or twice), and the possible course of events thereafter.

I'm pretty certain (note non-use of the words "convinced","Know" and "believe") that they got there eventually cos of the moon rocks now in possession of various scientific establishments, Unis etc the world over. I also believe that 11 and 12 got as far as the moon, whether or not they landed.It would make sense that the first one would be a recce mission, a dry run as it were, but there again if you've invested that much, why not go the whole hog?

For all I know maybe 11 did land and just looks a bit artificial owing to techno limitations of the day. Maybe 12's cameras did fritz out and thus had to be relayed in sound only. 13 certainly did have problems, and thankfully they survived. The footage of 14 is largely ignored in this kind of argument but looks a whole lot better - the argument will now of course split into two camps:

A) That's because the technology had been adapted in light of the first moon landings to accommodate the problems experienced by 11 and 12, and

B) That's because the tech experts who faked it had refined the techniques used to do so.

I go with A.

I'm sorry if everyone thinks I'm sitting on the fence here, but I genuinely can't be sure one way or the other; I'm just being honest enough to admit as such. I'm all for standing up for your beliefs (as I have done in thrads passim) but when I'm unsure, and have posted a theory of my own, I do not take it personally when it's deconstructed. My own thoughts about 14 being first are being logically and sensibly dismantled, and I'm quite happy to accept this.

Before anyone starts, I'm not being a sheep: once the anomalies that formed the basis of my thoughts are explained, I feel no shame in changing my mind.

Which, finally, is what Forteanism is all about: look, question for yourself, and once you are satisfied, accept. But if a different, more convincing explanation comes along, with a greater burden of proof, be prepared to re-examine your own beliefs.

I am.

Here endeth the lesson.

Stu (maybe a Fort Knight, but not Two Week to argue):)

Stu Neville said:
) I also believe that 11 and 12 got as far as the moon, whether or not they landed.It would make sense that the first one would be a recce mission, a dry run as it were, but there again if you've invested that much, why not go the whole hog?
There was at least one 'recce' mission. I think it was Apollo 8 that was the first manned craft to go around the moon and return.

They did this over Christmas, 1968 (and I have photographs I took from the TV at the time). They also broadcast a reading from Genesis from the Moon (but that's Americans for you!)

I wonder how many contributors to this thread were actually around in the 60s. I was in my early 20s then, and a keen follower of all things astronomical and astronautical. I still have a collection of newspapers and articles on spaceflight and the moon landings that I collected during that period.

The moon landings were a vast undertaking, involving thousands of people, and all this was very much in the public domain. Newspaper reporters are not infallible, but if there'd been any suspicion of a hoax you can be sure that some of them would have got on to it.

To say that pictures could have been hoaxed, that certain people could have been silenced by an official secrets act, may seem plausible - until you consider the numbers of people involved.

Because not only do you have to hoax the landings, you have to involve the hundreds of people who manned Mission Control for the days and days of the flights (were they all faking it, for ****'s sake?), the people took part in the launches (or just watched - there were thousands of spectators), the people in tracking stations around the world who contributed to the communications network, the Navy people who recovered the astronauts at the end of the flights, and so on.

All of this was covered live by the media, and reporters are notoriously cynical types. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool most of the people all of the time.

'No Moon Landing' must be one of the weakest conspiracy theories ever. If you deny this, you may as well throw all history books into the incinerator.

I was two years, seven months old at the time of Apollo 11, so can't comment in that respect.

And, as I said in my last post, I'm coming round to the accepted view of events. The questions have to be asked, but I'm satisfied thus far with the answers. I know there will always be those who aren't, but vive la difference. That's what makes the board so damn interesting!

Stu

Well Niles. Thanks for the support, I think.

Your definition of memetic structure of being like the thrid reich, cognative structure fighting to the death in the streets of berlin to save the bunkered fuhrer meme. hehe.

It's fun, I like it, and the observed data of how people behave supports it. But applying it in any way to me is a load of old bollards!

Also, Hoy Fort was just your average Brilliant Nutter. To say that 'Forteans' are meme-free is far too high-and-mighty. To say that one is memeticly pure, like geneticly pure, is just another way of saying that one is right in all things. I for one am not right in all things. If I was then I'd get my name changed to Jesus by deed-poll and everyone could worship me! cool!

I hate to be the one to break it to you, especially after offering some semblance of support to me, but you are meme-ridden! It's the curse of consiousness.

The core idea behind memetic theory is that it is self-replecating. Anyone who trys to tells anyone anything is replecating a meme. But like genetic structures, they can be creative or destructive, and generally consume other organisms on the way.

Wasn't the one that got struck by ligthening on the pad?

I stll like Fortis' idea... :)

8¬)

MuscularSpasm said:
Well Niles. Thanks for the support, I think.

Your definition of memetic structure of being like the thrid reich, cognative structure fighting to the death in the streets of berlin to save the bunkered fuhrer meme. hehe.

It's fun, I like it, and the observed data of how people behave supports it. But applying it in any way to me is a load of old bollards!

Also, Hoy Fort was just your average Brilliant Nutter. To say that 'Forteans' are meme-free is far too high-and-mighty. To say that one is memeticly pure, like geneticly pure, is just another way of saying that one is right in all things. I for one am not right in all things. If I was then I'd get my name changed to Jesus by deed-poll and everyone could worship me! cool!

I hate to be the one to break it to you, especially after offering some semblance of support to me, but you are meme-ridden! It's the curse of consiousness.

The core idea behind memetic theory is that it is self-replecating. Anyone who trys to tells anyone anything is replecating a meme. But like genetic structures, they can be creative or destructive, and generally consume other organisms on the way.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that Forteans are memetically adaptable. Building their cognative structure around the "Fortean Meme" they are able to incorporate other memes, even those that conflict with each other, and utilise them with limited risk of damage. When the meme's become damaged and worn they can simply discard them without psychological harm. This does not make them "pure" or "right in all things", instead it makes them adaptable, increaseing the survivability of both their memes and genes.

Using myself as an example this time: I disagree with the ExtraTerrestiral Hypothesis in regards to UFOlogy. I utilise the numerous Memes which contradict ETH. Even so I utilise a Meme which defines that ET Life *must* exist; our own existance means that mathematically other lifeforms exist elsewhere (must think up a snappy name). Both these two memes armour an Meme which dates back to my early childhood, a Foundation Meme I call "To Boldly Go". This meme inspires me to support space travel, assume that technology can solve most of humanities problem and dream of journeying to the stars. It also causes me to believe that humanity should be making the discoveries; ergo we make first contact, not the aliens :) As I said this meme forms part of the foundations of my cognative structure and could be removed without causing serious damage.

Fortunately I also have a highly developed Fortean Meme which was installed to support the rest of my aliling foundations. This allows me to mix and match memes to protect the rest of teh structure. Therefore if aliens showed up tomorrow I could except their existance with minimum risk.

Niles "QED" Calder

MS, you never did explain how the reflecters fitted into the theory that we never went to the moon.

Back