• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moonlights? WTF was it?

realgoatboy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Moonlight as in 'earthlight', that is. Someone else must've seen this...

When I was a kid, my parents had a caravan in Co. Down (by a small town called Millisle); big caravan park, quite spread out, right by the coast. One summer (august time, would've been 1980 or 81). Me & my brother (I was 10 or 11, he's 2 years younger) were sitting on swings at the site playground, beautiful summer night, clear skies, warm, lots of stars, about 10pm. No-one else was around; we were city kids (Belfast) & not so used to clear skies, so I was staring up at the 3/4 full moon (at the time I wanted to be an astronomer, too, had a big telescope at home, & by this age I'd raided every public library in North Belfast for books on the subject).

Weirdest thing I have ever seen happened - my entree to things fortean - its the whole reason I'm posting here, essentially.

A dot of light shot out from the right hand side of the moon (as in, from behind the moon, not from its surface) - it was clearly substantially above the moon, there was a very visible gap between the edge of the moon & the object. It zipped, in maybe 1 - 2 seconds from the right of the moon to the left, passing over the dark band of occlusion, incredibly fast. It disappeared behind the moon, (it was bright enough to see against the moon's surface, especially on the dark bit).

Then it shot out from the right hand side again, & went right around a second time.
Now, at that age, I knew full well the moon was big, maybe 3000 or so miles across - I also thought I knew nothing could do what I'd just seen, absolutely nothing, no comets, asteroids, spaceships, nada. I stared up, said "Did you see..." my brother said "yes..."; he'd been looking at the moon too, as it happened. We stayed quiet, staring & staring; nothing happened. After maybe a minute or 2, we legged it full speed across the playground & grassy field to my parents caravan, banging on the door yelling at them to come see, pointing up at the sky. They came out, but of course 'it' was long gone, & my parents acted bemused & drifted back inside the caravan after a minute. Never saw it again, but I was so convinced it was so big, so noticeable, I checked the papers & TV the next day, expecting to hear something, I mean, my god, this must've been visible to near half the planet, even if it was for just a few seconds - WTF?

Now, do the math (this is the interesting bit) - "The Moon's diameter is 2,159 mi (3,475 km) and its circumference is 6,790 mi (10,864 km)" (Science and Technology Desk Reference. Comp. James E. Bobick. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, 1996. p609). This thing traveled 6790 miles in perhaps 2 seconds. Thats 3000 odd miles a second - hello? Thats 1/60th of light speed. In a tight circle, around a minor planet? I'm not aware of anything in creation that size that moves at those speeds, not asteroids, not comets, nothing. Its just not possible (keep repeating that! - I did).

First off, nothing natural can do 1 tight orbit like that at that speed, & certainly not 2 orbits - any physical craft would be squished to jam due to g-forces. Nothing can do that speed. It was, (being clearly visible from the earth, a couple of hundred thousand miles away) bloody massive - what, the size of a city? Bigger? It did not look like a point of light, either, it looked like it had actual dimensions, from that distance. & where the hell did it go when it disappeared behind the moon the last time?

I've heard of earthlights, I've heard of those wan little moonlights sometimes seen through telescopes, I've even come across a couple (19th century) accounts of something similar in terms of brightness & size on/around the moon.

To make it quite clear, I long ago dismissed the idea of some stupendous alien spaceship being responsible; ditto, a moon-based version of earthlights - this thing was too big, too fast, & too weird. What the hell was it?

Also, we cant have been the only people who saw it; this was incredibly dramatic, surely there must be some account of it somewhere else? people, get digging!

I'd ask for ideas on what it was, but I've had a quarter of a century to root out an answer, & I cant even come up with a theory that begins to account for what I saw. I have drawn a complete blank on this one. Anyone have a similar sighting?

Thanks for the story. People witnessing weird things on or around the moon is one of my favorite subjects in all of forteana even though it's something that's rarely reported. I think John Keel mentioned in Mothman Prophecies some astronomer who saw a giant bird flying over the moon. He may have gotten that account one of Fort's books. I'd copy the passage in full but I can't seem to find my copy of Mothman. I think Fort may have written about other astronomers witnessing weirdness on the moon. Sorry I can't be of more help.

My first thought was some kind of misperception. Perhaps a glow-worm whizzing back and forth a few yards away, but in such as position as to appear to be whizzing round the moon.

But you say your brother saw it too. A chance alignment wouldn't work for both of you. So did you discuss it with him, to make sure he saw exactly what you saw? Maybe he saw it differently, but just got caught up in your excitement..?

Can't think of anything else at present. As you say, it seems unlikely in the extreme that it was something real whizzing around the moon at that speed.

BTW, when you say the 3/4 full moon, do you mean 3 or 4 days before full? I assume so, as a moon a few days past full would probably not be risen at that time. (Not that it really makes much difference, I just like to dot all the i's, and cross all the t's! 8) )

Could it have been a chunk of space debris, like a big rock or something, caught in the Moon's gravitational pull?

gncxx said:
Could it have been a chunk of space debris, like a big rock or something, caught in the Moon's gravitational pull?
No, it was 'orbiting' far too fast. It would have to have been under some kind of power to hold it around the moon - its apparent speed would be greater than the moon's escape velocity!

The best explanation I can fathom is an optical illusion caused by a nearby insect.. hm, or maybe a reflection, were you wearing glasses?

Anything visible to the naked eye at that distance would have to be enormous - Phobos sized or bigger.

moonlights....

Hello! I wondered what explanations people would come up with, & nearby objects is an obvious one. A glow-worm? Space debris? No, it was an object that did not look like it was very very far away, it looked like it was specifically going around the moon, which I happened to be looking at at the time (dont think I mentioned that in the post - my brother also happened to be looking at the moon too at that very moment, which I found incredible at the time; that shouldnt be much of a surprise really, as the surroundings were very dark & it was a beautiful night, & there wasnt much else to look at). I do wear glasses; my brother didnt. I did discuss it with him - immediately! - asking him what he saw first (which was either clever or cowardly of me); we tallied.

The moon, btw, was about 3/4 full, ie, 3/4 bright (or slightly more). This thing was noticeably brighter but very similar in colour, & stood out. Imagine a big star sailing around the moon very very quickly, twice.

I cannot stress enough how exactly & clearly this thing went around the moon twice - from one side to the other, slightly brighter than the moon, across the dark bit - gap of a second or two as I got stunned - then out the first side again, & around, over the dark bit again (where it was highly visible, by the way), & ....away (from right to left); fast, too. Couldnt have been more than a few hundred miles (whoa, thats a rough calculation!) from the surface - damn close & absolutely un-mistakeable; it was a jaw-dropper.

This still has a severe (near unsurmountable) boggle factor for me, & I've had 25 years to get used to it, & I also saw the damn thing, with someone else. I would entirely rationalise this, if someone told me it as a story, but it was so clear, so obvious, a damned massive thing went round the moon; there you go. I cant think what it might be, & have filed it into the "too difficult" category - (shame on me).

I cant imagine any propulsion system or ship needing to do this manoevre, or natural catastrophe that could cause this to an asteroid etc etc: electro-magnetic anomaly of unprecedented size? Hardly. Where the hell did it go afterwards, too?
But really, it was august (I think late - no date, about 10pm) in 1980 or 81, visible from the UK (& god knows where else, presumably half the planet) - did anyone see it? It was not forgetable.

I'd suggest it was insects in front of the moon - It may have been that the irridescent wings caught the moonlight when it was passing between the moon and your eye - maybe (highly speculatively) like a fresnel lens - but disappearing as soon as it moved away, and if there were two, (mating flight?) it would create the impression of one object rotating around the moon - your brother could have seen the same thing if he was under their flight path.

Could you ask your brother for a written account, and post it here?

From the accounts of realgoatboy I sincerely dismiss the insect theory!
It is the one that makes most sense to people who didn't see what happened but read his post carefully. I think the insect theory is out, its as bad as saying it was an alien spaceship.
Just because we have no explanation doesn't mean we have to use a really bad one [which the insect theory is in my opinion].

Maybe we should do some digging, maybe ask astronomers if there are maybe stray-lights caused by the sun and dust particles around the moon[also a crap theory] or something al little more "on target".

I'm going to have a look now, see if I can find anything.

Insects...pffff :roll:

it may not necesarily have been that big if it was something reflecting light (which is would be in the first place). Satellites, for instance, we can see and they're not that big.

Amazing story and kinda like what happened to me!! I too am from N.Ireland and in the early 1980's (really cannot remember the year) i remember being sent to the local shop in Lurgan Co.Armagh to get something for my mum. The moon was full and to my left hand side and i remember looking up at it and from behind it came a bright red light!! it just went round from one side to the other I stood there hoping to see it again to no avail. This was a november night as far as i can recall cause i knew christmas was not far away and it was about 8pm.

Wait a second... if this object was way way way behind the moon, couldn't it have actually 'traveled' that far, from one side to the other, in your perception, while only actually traveling a reasonable distance in space?

amea_gari said:
Wait a second... if this object was way way way behind the moon, couldn't it have actually 'traveled' that far, from one side to the other, in your perception, while only actually traveling a reasonable distance in space?
No, if it was further away, its real speed would have been even greater (and hence even more unlikely).
This still has a severe (near unsurmountable) boggle factor for me, & I've had 25 years to get used to it, & I also saw the damn thing, with someone else. I would entirely rationalise this, if someone told me it as a story, but it was so clear, so obvious, a damned massive thing went round the moon; there you go. I cant think what it might be, & have filed it into the "too difficult" category - (shame on me).
No shame. Only Skeptics think everything should have simple, clear-cut explanations!

Wish I'd seen it!

But assuming things were as you perceived them, then, quite apart from the physical problems of such a manoeuvre, we have to wonder who (or what) would wish to do such a thing, and why.... :shock:

Couldn't it have been a moon mission from Earth? I don't know when the Americans were up there the last time..maybe the Russians went without telling the public or something. A moon landing capsule or a space shuttle would go around the moon....

But would it be visible from Earth? And how fast would it be?

My grasp of the physics is more than a little shaky but could it have been something electrical? I'm thinking something along the lines of massive ball lightening, or an electrical storm. I guess you don't get those in vacuums though. Or do you? As I say - physics is not my strong point, and astrophysics even less so...

Other than that I can only think of it being a misperception or something caught in the moon's gravity field and orbitting as it fell. What about comets? They go pretty fast don't they?

Whatever it was I wish I'd seen it. I will be spending even more time staring at the moon from now on.

alytha said:
Couldn't it have been a moon mission from Earth? I don't know when the Americans were up there the last time..maybe the Russians went without telling the public or something. A moon landing capsule or a space shuttle would go around the moon....

But would it be visible from Earth? And how fast would it be?

But would it be visible from Earth? No! (Not without a big telescope.)

And how fast would it be? Nowhere near fast enough!

moonlights...

Yes, I thought perhaps it might be some massive electrical phenomenon, but...no; that theory has as many obvious holes as the UFO idea, not least of which is size & speed; anything that big & fast would need one hell of a kickstart, I doubt the moon has the power - it has a magnetic field, it interacts with charged particles from the sun, all very well & nice, but how the hell could any of the natural forces on the moon chuck out a massive mass (even if it was plasma, it would still weigh a huge amount, given its size) - & if its natural, how the hell could it go round twice in a lovely little orbit? Neat circular orbits are about the least likely course for any natural phenomenon (asteroids, comets etc).

But if its not natural, its....a giant spaceship full of alien jam, (after that incredibly high-g manoevre) - but wait, if they've got a spaceship that big, & they've conquered gravity (or inertia), then why do 2 tight little orbits around some random moon? You could just stop dead instead. This is the first time I've re-visited this particular loop of logic in some years, BTW, and its where I got stuck trying to understand this; I'm not going to get an explanation for this one, ever. Seeing it felt like I was watching something astronomical, in the sense that it was clearly occurring outside our world, & therefore mustve been huge; it was jaw-dropping, then eerie afterwards, as if the sky actually could fall in.

I will ask my brother for his account, too; he does recall it (or did some years ago when I mentioned it).

Post-display, where did it go? If there is an answer, its in that question.

The moons round Saturn have aurorae (equivalent to our northern lights) but it doesn't sound like what you saw:

http://members.fortunecity.com/volcanop ... 053101.htm

Also according to the article it needs some sort of atmosphere, however thin, for the aurorae to happen, and I don't think our moon has one.

If it was a natural phenomenon belonging to the moon, it must be a very, very rare one.

I hate to butt in with some bizarre "spaceship" theory here, especially being a confirmed sceptic and all, but don't some interplanetary craft launched from earth use the gravity of other planets or the sun to speed up their propulsion and launch them into outer space?

An overview is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_slingshot

Just a theory, like...

if it was er...hmm hmmm u know what's (won't mention them by name), maybe they were doing a driving test. Or a dare. Post-exam freedom roide ne 1?

FilthyleDog said:
I hate to butt in with some bizarre "spaceship" theory here, especially being a confirmed sceptic and all, but don't some interplanetary craft launched from earth use the gravity of other planets or the sun to speed up their propulsion and launch them into outer space?

An overview is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_slingshot

Just a theory, like...

The Moon doesn't have enough mass to be much good for a gravitational slingshot. NASA has used Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and even the Earth for slingshots but Moon just isn't big enough.

And slingshots are not circular orbit jobs - the probe shoots by on a parabolic or maybe hyperbolic trajectory.

slingshotting

I thought of this (big fan of sci-fi, always have been), & wasnt aware the moon was too small (ta for the info) - but if you consider this thing must've been the size of Manhatten & moving at a fraction of lightspeed in 2 tight circles - if you can do all that, why havn't you invented something a bit better than a slingshot? Something that size & speed begging a bit of extra oomph off a moon, to my mind, is like picturing a supersonic airliner that gets you there by flapping its wings up & down - weirdly unsophisticated & unlikely; perhaps I just want my aliens to be more glamorous?

You might be interested in this UFO report from Poland Realgoatboy. It sounds kind of similar and there are photographs as well. Though if this object was anywhere near the moon it must have been truly huge!

UFO Info

This is such a fascinating thread !!

You and your brother saw something that has no real, logical explanation. It has to be filed under "Other". The spaceship explanation doesn't wash simply because there aren't (except for the hazy pics from the chap in Poland) any other witnesses, or historical record. If this was a true, many people would have seen it, and it would be part of UFO lore. Indeed, a bizarre bit of UFO lore. But since there's no other witnesses worldwide, you experienced something 'else'. I once had a bloke tell me about a UFO he saw that was a hude tumbling cylinder. But it was from his backyard, in a large city. If it had been real, thousands would have also reported it. He was disappointed that I would bring up such a fact that everyone in the city would have to have been pre-occupied elsewhere, including romantic couples, and amateur astronomers.

ttaarraass said:
This video reminded me of this 'ere thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhW6libYtg0
Very cool film! Thanks for finding it.

But ... I find the camera too stable to really believe in that film. If you saw something surprising around the moon, and in a flash pointed the camera at it ... could you hold it THAT steady?

About the original subject ... the only fitting explanation is along John Keel's lines - one playful extraterrestrial decided to give you AND your brother a demonstration of what the "cosmic joker" can do. But that's also a lame explanation, because you can explain anything that way ...

Back