• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Tales From My Guests

And another, real time, incident from the same guest.

He stays Monday to wednesday each week now, and so I came down this morning and as usual on a Thursday he had left and posted his key through the letter box. Only there was a full backpack (presumably containing his clothes) left sitting in the hallway too.

He's just knocked at the door now at lunchtime. He'd realised what he'd done straight away this morning , locking himself out, but didn't want to wake me so early. Here's the thing, he just had to tell me ...last night he'd dreamt he was standing naked locked outside my front door.

And another, real time, incident from the same guest.

He stays Monday to wednesday each week now, and so I came down this morning and as usual on a Thursday he had left and posted his key through the letter box. Only there was a full backpack (presumably containing his clothes) left sitting in the hallway too.

He's just knocked at the door now at lunchtime. He'd realised what he'd done straight away this morning , locking himself out, but didn't want to wake me so early. Here's the thing, he just had to tell me ...last night he'd dreamt he was standing naked locked outside my front door.
LOL .. I had to deal with one of those once when I was a hotel night porter .. my phone rang, I got out of bed and got dressed, opened my flat door into the hotel and was confronted with a naked soldier who'd found and wrapped a kids sized mattress around his bottom half and blurted out that he'd been sleep walking, his bedroom door had locked itself behind him and he'd had to walk the 3 stories downstairs to use the reception phone to call me, the poor sod. The girl who was supposed to be doing my job that night was gutted she missed that.

LOL .. I had to deal with one of those once when I was a hotel night porter .. my phone rang, I got out of bed and got dressed, opened my flat door into the hotel and was confronted with a naked soldier who'd found and wrapped a kids sized mattress around his bottom half and blurted out that he'd been sleep walking, his bedroom door had locked itself behind him and he'd had to walk the 3 stories downstairs to use the reception phone to call me, the poor sod. The girl who was supposed to be doing my job that night was gutted she missed that.
Far more relevant than you might guess. When i initially texted today's incident to people i omitted the "naked" detail thinking it was an unnecessary one that would only serve as a temptation to the giggling Finbar Saunders out there. Until that is it occurred to me that he may indeed have been literally locked outside without (the rest of) his clothes if they were in the bag, making it an even more impressive "hit".

He however had taken that detail in a different direction when i asked him to elaborate on the dream. He started recounting a hotel incident identical to the one you've just told, Swifty, happening to a rugby or football team mate of his. I'm not clear whether he was suggesting he had been thinking of that before or during the dream, or whether it was what came to mind as the likely trigger for the dream once he woke up. I'm assuming the latter. Either way the fact there was a real past tense example of the dream plot in his memory banks is potentially telling. I've speculated before on here that precognition in dreams or daydreams is only triggered when your minds encounters something else that can be associated with the upcoming event to "remind" you of the future.

Obviously the pandemic has deprived me of guests and new stories, but this from a friend and only learned today surely fits here.

Y, one of my two closest friends, has been mentioned a number of times over the years on these boards, having been the subject of my own precognitive and telepathic seeming dreams on the one hand, and having reported a number of crisis apparition type experiences in his own life.

Today he casually mentioned a "that time" story as if I were already familiar with it. It was news to me.

About 12 years ago, aged around 25 and living in a house share in Manchester, he and a group of about 5 friends returned from a night out in which its relevant to note a dangerous variety of recreational drugs had been partaken of. Sleep deprivation can be thrown into the mix. Eventually it was just him and one of the friends left in Y's bedroom. To the left of the bed, from a sleeper's perspective, was a large wardrobe, the door already open.

Y was sitting at the foot of the bed, and on that side. Initially his attention was drawn towards movement or something from the area of the wardrobe door. About an hour later he watched as a young girl began peeping around the edge of said door. First her hair, then her eyes, withdrawing each time and exposing more of her face on each re-emergence. As if playing with him, trying to get his attention, playing peekaboo if you will. He described her, all these years later, in very great detail. She was 6 or 7 years old, pale complexion, pretty, chubby cheeks, not wealthy in dress but hardly impoverished either, big brown eyes, brown curled hair like a victorian doll. He asked his friend if he could see what HE was seeing or was he hallucinating. The friend said he saw nothing, it must be an effect of the drugs. He - i assume - accepted this and continued observing the experience. The girl appeared to be saying something to him, though at first he couldn't make the words out. It grew louder/clearer till she was saying "help" or "help me". Then her expression changed as a very large grown man's hand emerged from behind her in the wardrobe and slowly positioned itself around to cover the front of her face and pulled he back inside.

The experience would appear to be an "obvious" case of drug fuelled hallucination. Except for this....

Over the course of the following week things began and continued happening in the house. Specifically Each time he entered the kitchen he would find the electric kettle boiling over, sans water, ie hissing while empty in the on position, with no one else in the house to account for it. This as I say happened repeatedly over the next week. Concurrently while in the sitting room watching tv, he was constantly aware in his peripheral vision of the form of someone or something running past the glass living room door to his right. It happened so much and freaked him out so much he ended up taking the tv to his room. Finally there was the repeated strong pungent burning smell of singed hair or the like.

He enquired of his friend if these experiences - certainly the latter two - could be some lingering after effect of what they'd taken. Maybe is all the friend could suggest.

But the chemical explanation lost its power to persuade and things came to a head when he was going somewhere by taxi from the house with a friend, Hannah. He sat in the front passenger seat next to the driver, while he believed Hannah to be sitting to his rear right, behind the driver. That's where he mentally placed and felt her to be for the whole journey and directed his over the shoulder conversation. Only when exiting did he discover - and confirm - that no one was sitting in that location. Hannah had been directly behind him the whole time.

It was at this point he stopped believing this was a very prolonged after effect of his excesses that night, and instead decided to look into the history of the house. What he found was that in the (I think) 1901 census There was a family living there, father with a continental name, and there was a girl, Emily, of the appropriate age. In the following census, however, the family was still there but the girl was not.

From the point of seemingly identifying the presence by name, the phenomena stopped.

That's his tale. Make of it, as they say, what you will...

An incredibly trivial but utterly perplexing little mystery.

Washing up bowl in the kitchen sink. Had it years. Started to look worn. Recently got paint marks on it. Decided I need a new one. Was about to buy one yesterday. Decided nah, I'll get one at the weekend.

This morning I found an inexplicable hole in it. Like a very precise chunk has been carved out. My regular guest ( who had no knowledge of my intentions) must have done it. But aside from my amusement at the timing and relief I hadn't got a new one yesterday for him to damage instead, I was fascinated trying to work how on earth he had done it. The missing section is not evident anywhere, and there's no hint of melting. There's also a knife like gash to one side of the hole.

I couldn't wait for him to get home tonight to ask him and solve the mystery. Doubly so because one of the dreams I recorded last night involved a guest in the kitchen and me scrubbing and scrubbing but failing to remove baked on bits from a "small plastic bowl" . I was hoping his explanation would match said dream.

So he's here and I mentioned the hole in the bowl. He said "yeah I noticed that". (Yesterday, he says!) He assumed I'd done it!

Neither one of us did it, it seems, there's noone else here,
Screenshot_20210226-222455~2.png
and I still cannot fathom how it was done. The timing in relation to both my intention to replace it and the dream makes it doubly perplexing. ‍♂️

An incredibly trivial but utterly perplexing little mystery.

Washing up bowl in the kitchen sink. Had it years. Started to look worn. Recently got paint marks on it. Decided I need a new one. Was about to buy one yesterday. Decided nah, I'll get one at the weekend.

This morning I found an inexplicable hole in it. Like a very precise chunk has been carved out. My regular guest ( who had no knowledge of my intentions) must have done it. But aside from my amusement at the timing and relief I hadn't got a new one yesterday for him to damage instead, I was fascinated trying to work how on earth he had done it. The missing section is not evident anywhere, and there's no hint of melting. There's also a knife like gash to one side of the hole.

I couldn't wait for him to get home tonight to ask him and solve the mystery. Doubly so because one of the dreams I recorded last night involved a guest in the kitchen and me scrubbing and scrubbing but failing to remove baked on bits from a "small plastic bowl" . I was hoping his explanation would match said dream.

So he's here and I mentioned the hole in the bowl. He said "yeah I noticed that". (Yesterday, he says!) He assumed I'd done it!

Neither one of us did it, it seems, there's noone else here, View attachment 35927 and I still cannot fathom how it was done. The timing in relation to both my intention to replace it and the dream makes it doubly perplexing. ‍♂
The only explaination is that it is a chip, old plastic has tendancy to becone brittle and can chip if struck, maybe by throwing something into it, it doesnt have to be thrown hard, it just has to hit at the rigjt angle, the scar nearby suggests that something was carelessly tossed into it to, thats my only take.

Well indeed and logically with his cooking equipment including use of knives the solution - general if not precise - seems obvious.

But it's confounded by the surrounding circumstances.

The missing "chip" is/was not lying beside it. Down the plug hole perhaps but it's a little large and the hole so very precise.
He says he noticed it yesterday ..I saw nothing of the sort til today.
He also says he almost never uses the washing bowl.
The dream we can dismiss perhaps as my near purchase before the dream may have inspired it. But the fact it "broke" on or after the day I decided ( but postponed) to buy a new one for reasons unrelated to any breakage is...odd. Satisfying, but odd .

I don't suppose it has been anywhere near the stove? I've had plastic things melt a bit if they have been knocked too close to the gas hotplate.

Both the “chip” and the nearby scar look melted rather than broken/cut. Was your guest trying to throw a hot utensil into water to cool it, but got it stuck on the rim of the bowl?

maximus otter

Melted was my first thought when I saw it..hot liquid had passed through..but it was close inspection that made me decide melting was not an option at all. There's no bubbling or distortion, no candlelike dripping on either the outside or inside nor on the wall of the sink. It's a very clean even slice. I now use the word slice rather than puncture as it's dawned on me the curved rim of the bowl is not a solid flat thing, the hole shape requires only that a very sharp implement has made a slicing/scooping motion over than point. I have to conclude he must have done it somehow despite his sincere expression of ignorance.

He may not have noticed he'd done it. If he's a little careless and heavy handed, he could have done it with almost anything, just not noticed.

I keep cutting myself at work. I don't feel it or see it until there is blood dripping down my arm.

Melted was my first thought when I saw it..hot liquid had passed through..but it was close inspection that made me decide melting was not an option at all. There's no bubbling or distortion, no candlelike dripping on either the outside or inside nor on the wall of the sink. It's a very clean even slice. I now use the word slice rather than puncture as it's dawned on me the curved rim of the bowl is not a solid flat thing, the hole shape requires only that a very sharp implement has made a slicing/scooping motion over than point. I have to conclude he must have done it somehow despite his sincere expression of ignorance.
Hot spoon? Held over a flame for some reason*, then it was dropped onto the bowl by accident.

* Drugs? Are you missing a spoon, by any chance?

That escalated quickly.
(I do hope you were joking :)

If it's an old bowl and you were thinking of replacing it, perhaps it did just chip out when it got dropped / turned over / banged on the sink. Dunno.

Hot spoon? Held over a flame for some reason*, then it was dropped onto the bowl by accident.

* Drugs? Are you missing a spoon, by any chance?
And if you are - get over to the 'teaspoon' thread.

Ok now this is getting utterly perplexing. As I concluded the hole in the (now thrown out) washing bowl could only have been made by a sharp knife cleanly slicing a section off the rim of the bowl. Despite his sincere denials it must somehow have been done by the foodie guest when cleaning up after his cooking.

He's gone home for the weekend as usual. I've just noticed one long sharp knife - precisely the item that would need to have sliced the washing bowl! - has vanished from the knife block beside the microwave. It's nowhere to be found.

He leaves his cooking equipment here, he doesn't take mine away! But even if he has for some absent minded reason, the correlation between it and the injury to the washing bowl looks like clues in a murder mystery.

If he's somehow broken both in the same incident I can't imagine him being shy or deceptive about telling me..bowl and knife together could be replaced for less than a fiver.

Could he be sleep walking? Could I?

Either that or I have the world's dullest poltergeist.

Melted was my first thought when I saw it..hot liquid had passed through..but it was close inspection that made me decide melting was not an option at all. There's no bubbling or distortion, no candlelike dripping on either the outside or inside nor on the wall of the sink. It's a very clean even slice.
Can you recall if the edges of the hole were sharp or somewhat rounded? Sharp would indicate a cut, somewhat rounded would indicate heat damage. There doesn't have to be any bubbling or dripping.

Yes, the edges do look sharp and jagged. Definitely chopped off, as you said.

If caused by your guest and then not admitted to, how very disappointing!
If done by either of you in your sleep, how scary!
If done by an unknown intruder, then :freak:

The guest doing it - as i say perhaps breaking the knife at the same time - seems the most parsimonious explanation. But it has a lot going against it. Leaving aside the credence i give to his expression of ignorance and assumption I had done it, there's the fact neither item is expensive or hard to replace and he has in the past fessed up straight away and paid me more than necessary when he broke the chain on the bathroom plug. In short it would not be in his nature to fake innocence and he has little motive to do so.

Rat? I doubt it...there is no other evidence of any kind anywhere of a rodent around. Plus as ive said adjacent to the hole is a knife like gash.

Not a guest, but tales told to me by a lady today.

She was talking about some past incident in her life, can't now recall what, which had happened in the context of her being in deep grief for a deceased pet dog a number of years ago.

Seeing the opportunity i asked if she'd ever sensed the animal's presence since its passing. The only thing she could recall was one day turning round to her current dog and for a brief moment visually perceiving the earlier pet's face superimposed upon it. She appeared to be describing what it in mediumistic circles is called transfiguration.

A second more elaborate story was this. Back during the iraq war she was - though not any kind of psychic, merely spiritually interested - trying to project healing or protective prayers over to the people there. One evening she had strong sense her sleeping baby needed her and rushed up to his room to the cot...he was fine, nothing wrong. But as she stood over him she heard a voice speaking (in a foreign language) in her ear. She wasn't frightened, but she says the voice though separate from her appeared to actually be inside her ear rather than outside of it. Still she wondered if she was picking up chatter from the tv left on downstairs. Leaning over the banister to listen appeared to rule this option out.

A few days later she visits a medium. Who, according to her, said "you've been sending prayers over to iraq haven't you?" and - more strikingly - "you heard a voice." The medium explained the voice was her (egyptian) spirit guide. Her meditative prayers/energy/whatever you wish to call it had given him a way into communicating with her, and she now needed to develop it by going to a spiritualist open circle.

Sometime later she arranges to do so with her husband. Why do you want to go there, he demanded reluctantly. She told him about the voice. Why didn't you tell me , he asks. "Because you'd have though i was going mad!" she told him.

So they go. And they're immediately drawn to one particular participant there. This woman addresses the husband. "Do you know someone who's heard a voice. Tell them they're not mad....."

Psychic ..or synchronicity.

Two doctors from Pakistan been here 4 days, about to check out.

Ive twice mentioned to them the Egyptian doctor who stayed here for a week last summer. Because he was doing the same exam they're studying for. And because I guessed they may be moving on to the same accommodation he had when he left here. Hence my second mention of him was an hour ago.

As soon as they left the room the Egyptian messaged me completely out of the blue! Saying it's been a long time. He had good news. He had job offer in the UK, in Dorchester. He was asking me what it was like.

The timing is bizarre.

Perhaps his ears were burning.

Back