• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

We used to have endless antique stores in our area, I could disappear in there for days, now they're all gone. The last one just closed during the virus, along with all the great bookstores.
The problem with the antique trade these days is that there are so few collectors. Mostly, they survive by trading among themselves.
Once the collectors stopped visiting, the trades between dealers dried up.

The problem with the antique trade these days is that there are so few collectors. Mostly, they survive by trading among themselves.
Once the collectors stopped visiting, the trades between dealers dried up.
True, and it shows how my area has completely changed. I purchased all our furniture in these old stores, lamps, everything. Now I have to look online.

We used to have endless antique stores in our area, I could disappear in there for days, now they're all gone. The last one just closed during the virus, along with all the great bookstores.
We had about 6 Antiques Shops in my sort of Village/Town in the 1980s and Early 90's but wonder if it was the popularity of BBC shows of The Antiques Roadshow and Lovejoy.
Now it's just sadly Coffee places and Hipster Bar/Foodies.

We had about 6 Antiques Shops in my sort of Village/Town in the 1980s and Early 90's but wonder if it was the popularity of BBC shows of The Antiques Roadshow and Lovejoy.
We had them for as long as I can remember. Now they're dollar stores, or just standing empty. My favorite one, which is the last one to close, was a 'cleanout' business with the most beautiful jacobean, etc. furniture, lamps and just everything.

Our pier's supposed to be famously haunted. I've never seen anything spooky on the pier itself but one night this summer, I was waiting for a friend and saw a figure walking down the slope to the promenade. I stood up expecting it to be my friend, it disappeared behind a sign that blocked my view then didn't re appear on the other side. I was walking towards the entrance to the pier and didn't take my eyes off the figure. There was no time or room for it to have been a person doubling back or hiding anywhere. It was a clear dry night so visibility was good.

As well as the end of the pier theatre supposedly being haunted, people have reported seeing figures walking on the pier then investigated to find no one there.

I think the popularity of Antiques Roadshow and similar programmes meant that people got their antiques properly valued and became more aware of historic value. This meant that real antiques went to expensive auction houses, and the 'previously known as antiques' shops went further and further down the house-clearance/junk line.

There is, apparently, a TV programme about the auction house across the road from where I work. I've never seen it.

Also on Antiques Roadshow you do get the odd time when the owner of the item says they were told by an antiques dealer that it wasn't worth much - only to find that the show's expert values it highly. Perhaps potential antique shop customers are put off by that kind of thing....

Also on Antiques Roadshow you do get the odd time when the owner of the item says they were told by an antiques dealer that it wasn't worth much - only to find that the show's expert values it highly. Perhaps potential antique shop customers are put off by that kind of thing....
Not these three though.....
Lj.png

Back to Windwhistle Hill, here's the write up by BUFORA (there's a name I haven't heard for a while) that was the source for the newspaper article:

https://bufora.org.uk/Strange-Places:-Windwhistle-Hill.php

It strikes me that the second 'experience' of the two featured in the case is very much the sort of thing that in another context would be interpreted as a 'road ghost', rather than something UFO-related.

Back in 2003 I spent several happy months in the bucolic village of Denbury (several miles outside of Newton Abbot. The village is dominated by a wooded Iron Age hill fort that I climbed up several times:

Horse and Rider​

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A figure on horseback has been observed in the distance, holding a shield and sword. Perhaps connected to this entity, the sounds of a horse charging through woodland have been reported. There may be an additional relationship to the nearby Denbury Hill Iron Age hill fort which folklore says contains golden treasure.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

Alas, no golden treasure or phantom horse rider

Back to Windwhistle Hill, here's the write up by BUFORA (there's a name I haven't heard for a while) that was the source for the newspaper article:

It strikes me that the second 'experience' of the two featured in the case is very much the sort of thing that in another context would be interpreted as a 'road ghost', rather than something UFO-related.
I love this case, there is even a time-slip element to it:

"Kate looked at her watch to check the time as she felt it was strange that the Inn was
in darkness so early as it was very popular and she remembers wondering why it had
closed so early. The time was 10.10pm"

I love this case, there is even a time-slip element to it:

"Kate looked at her watch to check the time as she felt it was strange that the Inn was
in darkness so early as it was very popular and she remembers wondering why it had
closed so early. The time was 10.10pm"

This is brilliant. Windwhistle is a very strange-feeling place, which I always put down to the lack of any lighting from nearby villages and the trees which line the road. At night or in fog it's very eerie indeed.

This is brilliant. Windwhistle is a very strange-feeling place, which I always put down to the lack of any lighting from nearby villages and the trees which line the road. At night or in fog it's very eerie indeed.
Just the ideal place name for a late night, deserted country road UFO encounter. I guess this one will always remain a bit of a mystery and will have root around to see if there have been any other similar events from the area. Yes, you could postulate that there was a power cut and thus the pub was in darkness except for one candlelit window or even that it was unusually quiet and the landlord decided on an early night but that is clutching at straws years after the event.

Just the ideal place name for a late night, deserted country road UFO encounter. I guess this one will always remain a bit of a mystery and will have root around to see if there have been any other similar events from the area. Yes, you could postulate that there was a power cut and thus the pub was in darkness except for one candlelit window or even that it was unusually quiet and the landlord decided on an early night but that is clutching at straws years after the event.
It's another event that screams 'plasma field' at me. Although I did wonder about why Katie's husband was so sanguine about the length of time the drive had taken. Every man I've ever driven with* has known how long a drive should take and has wanted to go into a minute-by-minute breakdown of the journey if it's taken longer than expected.

*I realise that this is not a representative sample of the male population - just that section willing to get in a car with me.

Every man I've ever driven with* has known how long a drive should take and has wanted to go into a minute-by-minute breakdown of the journey if it's taken longer than expected.

*I realise that this is not a representative sample of the male population - just that section willing to get in a car with me.
My friend still occasionally recounts the story of the car trip he, his brother and parents took to London in 1955.
Roads used, towns passed, what was on their sandwiches, what the weather was like- a moderate south westerly - and it rained a little bit at 2.07pm.............

My friend still occasionally recounts the story of the car trip he, his brother and parents took to London in 1955.
Roads used, towns passed, what was on their sandwiches, what the weather was like- a moderate south westerly - and it rained a little bit at 2.07pm.............
I may have travelled with him...

Men are so silly (and I should know!) - they ask you for directions, and such is their pride that they drive off before you finish telling them the way.

Men are so silly (and I should know!) - they ask you for directions, and such is their pride that they drive off before you finish telling them the way.
Despite the prevalence nowadays of sat navs, I have still had quite a few people ask me for directions (two old dears looking for the M6 was the funniest) and you always know when they're not really listening.
I think, why did you bother to ask me?

Despite the prevalence nowadays of sat navs, I have still had quite a few people ask me for directions (two old dears looking for the M6 was the funniest) and you always know when they're not really listening.
I think it's a mismatch of expectation. Sometimes people need to be given instructions in a certain way (for example, if you write them down for me I'm fine, if you try to tell me it just goes out of my head). People hope that they will be giving directions in the way that they can comprehend, and when it becomes evident that it's going to be 'turn left, then second left third right and straight on past the fire station' when they need something more intensive, then they switch off. They know they're going the right way and they will ask again, in the hopes that those directions are in the form they need.

This is why if anyone asks me for directions to anywhere that's further away than about a mile I will ask if they want me to write it down (assuming I'm in a position to do so, of course, but we get a lot of people coming into the supermarket to ask how to get to places).

Not excusing everyone, but a lot of times (speaking from experience here) it may look like they're not listening when in reality, they're trying to quickly assimilate the information before it gets muddled or just plain forgotten. There's a variety of reasons - whether stress from getting lost or people talking too fast and obviously impatient to get rid of your or just plain ADHD manifesting to fuck everything up...it happens. No one likes when it happens to them.

Or they could just be idiots.

I think it's a mismatch of expectation. Sometimes people need to be given instructions in a certain way (for example, if you write them down for me I'm fine, if you try to tell me it just goes out of my head). People hope that they will be giving directions in the way that they can comprehend, and when it becomes evident that it's going to be 'turn left, then second left third right and straight on past the fire station' when they need something more intensive, then they switch off. They know they're going the right way and they will ask again, in the hopes that those directions are in the form they need.

This is why if anyone asks me for directions to anywhere that's further away than about a mile I will ask if they want me to write it down (assuming I'm in a position to do so, of course, but we get a lot of people coming into the supermarket to ask how to get to places).
Or they are dealing with a Homer Simpson trying to be nice.

https://comb.io/2jRfZB

You’ll have to start your own podcast and share the local stories and legends with us.
Oh that I could! But someone else has done all the research and collected all the stories - and besides, I don't have time. I might suggest it though...

Here's that book I found, then lost, then found again! All about my nearest town and its mysteries....
View attachment 75889
You could pirate that if it's out of print and unavailable.

I did that with a little book about the Cheshire dialect. An Aussie friend, a former poster on this very board, wanted advice on how locals spoke so I remembered 'The Cheshire Chatter' and blagged it over to her. She found it very helpful.

You could pirate that if it's out of print and unavailable.

I did that with a little book about the Cheshire dialect. An Aussie friend, a former poster on this very board, wanted advice on how locals spoke so I remembered 'The Cheshire Chatter' and blagged it over to her. She found it very helpful.
It's very recent, unfortunately, and I think privately printed. I wouldn't want to take away any earnings from the Kirkbymoorside History Group who were behind it and need all the money they can get. I might post the odd 'snippet', but not the whole thing, that wouldn't be fair.

Back