• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

Again, not quite my home town, but only a short drive across the Surrey downs is Albury.

Allegedly one of the most haunted stretches of water in the country, the Albury Silent Pool features a regularly-spotted ghost of a maiden who, allegedly, drowned there, rather than succumb to King John's unwanted lecherous advances.

It's a spring-fed lake, lying on a chalk bed, which gives it a remarkable pale blue appearance.

pool.JPG

The weather's great, so I feel a picnic and some ghost-hunting coming on!

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/silent-pool-ghost-haunted-surrey-13150476

It was a lovely setting. Two ponds, connected by a stream and just a short walk apart through shady woodland.

There's a vineyard (treated us to a bottle of the local organic rosé) and a gin distillery either side,. The place was very busy, with the car-park overflowing. which didn't add to any spooky atmosphere. Guess you have to come back at midnight to truly drink in the atmosphere and have a chance of seeing this most persistent of ghosts. Couldn't really make out the blue colour, as it looks like the pond has quite a growth of algae this Summer. Well worth visiting if you're in the vicinity.

.pond1.JPGpond2.JPGpond3.JPGpond4.JPGpond5.JPG

No haunted places in my area AFAIK. But today we saw this in Haastrecht (Netherlands, near Gouda) and it was a bit spooky.
It's a family grave in the garden and even a grave for the dog.
t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpgt4.jpg

I live near Nuneaton and there’s an old record shop that has had weirdness attached to it for years. I believe it recently made an issue of the FT.

A previous owner wrote a very interesting series of blog posts about her experiences in the shop. I’ve (shamefully) only been in a couple of times, and the upper floors definitely do have an ‘off vibe’ to them, but I think a lot of Victorian properties do.

I live near Nuneaton and there’s an old record shop that has had weirdness attached to it for years. I believe it recently made an issue of the FT.

A previous owner wrote a very interesting series of blog posts about her experiences in the shop. I’ve (shamefully) only been in a couple of times, and the upper floors definitely do have an ‘off vibe’ to them, but I think a lot of Victorian properties do.
Do you have a link to the blogposts?

Living close to an American Civil War Battlefield can be spooky.

A not well know but important battle happened in 1862 when the North and South forces where looking for a place to sit out the winter, when these forces ran into each other.

The Battle of Stones River, Tennessee saw 25,000 men died on New Years Eve 1862.

As I have walked the present day paths on the battlefield, sometimes little pebbles for no reason would skip in front of me.

I have no explanation for this occurrence.

Been there lots of time, it's mainly housing now. No sign of any quarry or spooky person.
When I was looking at some old maps I realised that many of my ancestors from my dad's side of the family lived in that area at the time of the incidents. If I remember there were mills in that area that had a reputation for being haunted. Will have to do some digging.

The charmingly named Coffin Mill wasn't too far from the location of the quarry sightings and was a short walk from my workplace. Passed it many times - it was converted into flats.
Can't you chat up some of the residents there? Any "quirks" in the lodging that they could report on?

I grew up in rural Maryland, where you can find a rotting mill (water wheel mill, if I'm not wrong) on a back road that was reputedly haunted. We had a lot of 17- and 1800s structural remains in the area, and some unpleasant stories of the slave era along with them.

There's also a colonial-era church named St. James in Monkton with some world-class stained glass windows, and that building specifically is, despite a lack of religion in my case, one of the most peaceful structures I've ever been in. Given history generally, I don't know why that should be so.

For all that, though, I didn't hear much about ghost stories. The place was moody as hell--the land itself, I mean-- it has this sense of something sleeping. The feeling isn't as strong as in Western MD though (where you get into the upper appalachians and can have outright Panic).

This isn't my home town so please move if somewhere more appropriate.

I am currently watching a series on Zak Bagans museum in Las Vegas. I know that he is creative with his tales but wondered if anyone has been?

At $80 for a VIP visit I think I'd give it a miss. But wondered if anyone had been and what they thought. Did you bring a demon home?

During the American Civil War, the north and south were camped for the harsh winter in my home town and neither want to start a fight but trying to survive the winter.

But Abraham Lincoln have the order to engage and the battle of Stones River took place on December 31, 1862.

In one day 25,000 men died leaving the battlefield today as a most haunted place.

I personally have seen strange things like pebbles moving by themselves on the walking trails.

Visitors claim the headless Col. Julius P Garesche has been seen looking for his head terrorizing visitors.

The Park Rangers will agree this battlefield is haunted.

Eponastill,

When I walk on the pebble trails at the battlefield, the pebbles skip like someone is walking next to me.

Once in the gift shop, I was talking to a Park Ranger and a book just fell off the shelf.

A Ranger and I just looked at each other but we did not say anything to each other.

The Ranger laughed and picked up the book.

With 25,000 men dying in 24 hours, you can feel the strangeness in the area.

The slaughter and butchery of the American Civil War was devastating. Why anyone would want a civil war is beyond me.
A little off topic, I know, but the idea makes me so sad. :(

The slaughter and butchery of the American Civil War was devastating. Why anyone would want a civil war is beyond me.
A little off topic, I know, but the idea makes me so sad. :(
The English Civil war created the only officially recognised ghosts in Britain

‘Uniquely though, as a result of the Royal Commission’s investigation, the Public Record Office officially recognises the Edgehill ghosts. They are the only British phantoms to have this distinction.’

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Phantom-Battle-of-Edgehill/

Not my town but a village just down the road. Bexley, it hasn’t changed much over the years unlike my town. Now I’m sure there was a story of the village cobblers being haunted. But I can’t find anything about it now. The thing is I’ve just found out the building it is part of was the workhouse so that might have something to do with the spook that apparently didn’t happen.

Someone was telling me a tail or two the other day of ghostly happenings
one was of a man that would come into her back yard the type with a high wall
and a solid wooden gate and stand staring through the window, he was
dressed in a long overcoat and jeans, how do you know it's a ghost I ask
thinking we have a pervert on the loose here,

"Because he walks through the gate without opening it"

Now I have been in that house many times and not seen a thing but will keep
my eyes open in future.
:freak:

Last edited:
@Swifty I finally got round to contacting The Red Lion as part of my ghost survey; I inquired whether anything had been experienced recently and they said, "we have not." I have however noted that based on your experience, they may want to keep spooky stuff "hush hush"

Someone was telling me a tail or two the other day of ghostly happenings
one was of a man that would come into her back yard the type with a high wall
and a solid wooden gate and stand staring through the window, he was
dressed in a long overcoat and jeans, how do you know it's a ghost I ask
thinking we have a pervert on the loose here,

"Because he walks through the gate without opening it"

Now I have been in that house many times and not seen a thing but will keep
my eyes open in future.
:freak:
May have been a pervert when he was alive. :chuckle:

@Swifty I finally got round to contacting The Red Lion as part of my ghost survey; I inquired whether anything had been experienced recently and they said, "we have not." I have however noted that based on your experience, they may want to keep spooky stuff "hush hush"
I've had the same 'what ghost?' responses since I left Paul so I'd be tempted to think I imagined it all other than the 'hard evidence' (the suggested shape of a shadow woman taken on my friends phone which he showed me but then he managed to accidently delete because it was a new phone) .. a non peripheral shape of a definite woman walked across my direct line of vision with the texture most accurately compared to vanta black paint one night after I saw that picture. Mediums have postulated it's the spirit of a woman from the first world war era who was fond of a bell boy called Billy, they thought she was confusing me for him. If you want to pursue this further, the top people there now are Callum and Jo. The last time I asked Callum, he told me he hadn't experienced anything weird.

Room 10 as it was doesn't exist anymore, the walls have been knocked through to make a family sized room. That was the room that single men staying there had problems with so it was waking up to find a woman leaning over the bed looking at them and someone else saying they saw the reflection of a woman in the bath room mirror. I can probably still hook you up with the then senior manager who had to deal with these occasional/sporadic complaints if you'd like to talk to her?.

(apologies if I've already posted this vid but it gives you a general idea of the lay out of The Red Lion .. I'm still amazed I was given all the keys to this place and lived in this building for free .. it's beautiful)

The shadow woman looking picture was captured where the baby seat is at 0:24 into this video ..

Last edited:
Hi @Swifty,
Thanks for the offer of putting me in contact with the old personnel at the hotel. I'd certainly like to have a chat with them especially if things have been happening in the last five or so years. During my survey, I've had to take at face value establishments who say "nothing experienced." There was only one occasion when two people had disagreements.

Back