• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moving Photographs

I enjoyed reading the posts on this thread, it's a subject that's created fear in me since I was a kid. But in adult life I have been very unnerved by a photo of my late grandad, which sits framed on my nans mantle piece. Several times I've been in the room alone, usually at night, when my attention has been directly drawn towards the photo. I would stare at his face & smile and notice that something wasn't quite right with his look, and a definite feeling that he had moved; really quite disturbing looking back. Would like to hear of other experiences people have had with this phenomena.

This is reminding me of those "ridged" pictures that would look as if the image was moving if you moved them from side to side. The sort of thing you'd get free in a cereal packet.

In the not too far off future (scientists predict), it will be cheap and easy to produce moving images on a 2D surface, and it will be a daily occurance to see pics move. So ghosts will have to work that bit harder at trying to scare us.

And ten years later we have tablets, phones....in fact, screens bloody everywhere!

Although lenticular 'moving' images have been around for years.

Holograms...never see them any more do ya?

And ten years later we have tablets, phones....in fact, screens bloody everywhere!

Although lenticular 'moving' images have been around for years.

Holograms...never see them any more do ya?
Bank notes...debit cards.

I am reminded of a story of a painting in which features move, including a figure who moves to the front door of the house. It may have been Poe if I recall correctly, probably wrong though.

Photo paper which shows 2 seconds of video? That would be cool.

Trying to track down a haunted painting in a book I read as a kid, the lady in the painting was from the Gainsborough area. Can't find anything about it. It may have been in some house in East Anglia but can't be certain.

I am reminded of a story of a painting in which features move, including a figure who moves to the front door of the house. It may have been Poe if I recall correctly, probably wrong though.
The Mezzotint by MR James.

There's also the moving painting in the first story of cult Brit anthology film Three Cases of Murder. Think that was written for the screen.

Trying to track down a haunted painting in a book I read as a kid, the lady in the painting was from the Gainsborough area. Can't find anything about it. It may have been in some house in East Anglia but can't be certain.
This is a real painting that is supposed to change expression. It's driving me nuts!

There's a moving photograph in the "Penny Farthing" episode of the portmanteau horror film, "Tales That Witness Madness." It's hard going even for fans of that sort of thing (which I am), but quite fortean as I think it hints at a time-slip style haunting.

I've never seen a moving photo, but I might like too. I find it delightfully creepy. Oddly enough, one thing that's always made me nervous is mirrors when I'm alone. I'm always nervous that I'm going to be walking past one and see something behind me, or see something in it from the other room. My first house I had to turn our one mirror to the wall because the house was creepy anyway and I didn't want to chance it.

One of those 1970s Pan/Fontana horror story collections had a yarn like that. Two neglected children find a way to escape into a an ideal, peaceful rural landscape painting.

Road Virus.jpg

Mentioned earlier, The Road Virus Heads North. The painting in the short film gave me a sensation of having a jug of iced water being poured down my back. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

You would not like my house. Mirrors everywhere. The dark corridor that runs along the back of the house has a mirror at each end, facing each other.

Virtually all old mirrors as well. I always put them somewhere quiet for a few weeks before I put them up...you never know what an old mirror has seen, and they have more 'depth' than modern mirrors.

Read 'Mirror' by Graham Masterton. You will never, ever want to look in a mirror again.

One of those 1970s Pan/Fontana horror story collections had a yarn like that. Two neglected children find a way to escape into a an ideal, peaceful rural landscape painting.

There's an old 50s film called Three Cases of Murder where the first story is about a man who gets stuck in a living painting. Great viewing for an 80s kid on a rainy holiday afternoon.

That section of the portmanteau film was directed by Wendy Toye. Not many women directors in those days in the UK!

I know of it by repute only but I see it has reached DVD. :)

Yeah, I couldn't resist the DVD myself. The Orson Welles dodgy MP story is good fun too.

Back around 1994, I published a story called "Landscapes", which I tried to make the ultimate "going into a picture" tale, with references to Hieronymus Bosch, Dorian Gray, Tom and Jerry, Night Gallery, and Richard Upton Pickman, among others:

". . . I tried exploring after dark my first few days here. I nearly ran headlong into one of the hideous walking corpses that rise from the earth in the night, seeking some mezzotint or voudou painting to climb through. I paid Mr. Buxton and hurried on my way.

"I followed a narrow lane through the rolling meadows; the countryside is easy on the eye, I'll give it that. Pastures on my left; on my right a young forest. The leaves were scarlet and gold and umber, but they had not yet fallen.

"Though somewhat in a hurry, I paused when I saw a curious figure jump through a Frame. It appeared to be a grey rabbit, but it ran upright like a human being. Its legs and arms were long, thin tubes; its arms ended in white-gloved hands. It ran across the fields, then it followed the lane for a few hundreds of yards and dashed into the trees.

"A short, pudgy man dressed in a dun-brown hunter's outfit climbed in through the same Frame the rabbit-creature had used. He glanced around momentarily, then he charged the copse. He carried in his arms a huge, double-barreled shotgun. Despite the shortness of his legs, he reached the trees in seconds and vanished as well."

Yes but are you sure??? Moving statues...gahhh :shock: I have a pretty moderate case of statuephobia myself. I can pass near to some without freaking, depends on the statue and how realistic/imposing it looks. Others I refuse to go near.

This is not helping. Why in the name of zeus would I want to see pics moving on a flat surface. There just seems to be something unnatural about that... :shock:
Ever react that way when watching tv or a movie?

Back