• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moving Photographs

Point taken OldTime, lack of experience and understanding on my behalf.

RS

Old Time

Hey, that doesn't mean that I was actually around in 1865 or 1880. <g> Really it doesn't. Hack hack. Cough Cough. Stumble.

On a similar vein. Does anyone remember the story (don't know if I saw it in FT or FTMB or where) About a Polish religious icon that got damaged or changed slightly and every copy of the icon was said to have changed as well?

When I was really young I was extremely sick with asthma and supposedly died once in the hospital, although I have no memory of that. I do, however, remember laying on the couch with a fever and watching pictures move. There was a boat and I could see it rocking on the water and the clouds moving behind it. There was a picture of my grandfather who was still alive then with his late wife and they would move, too. I could look directly at them and watch for as long as I wanted to.

The human nervous system is a fascinating thing, no?

It wouldn't scare me, this was everyday for me, but it would get me nauseous after a while. Before reading this thread, I thought everyone could do this. It's sort of like looking at those 3D pictures that you have to make your eyes go weird to see. This is why it also occurs when you see images out of the corner of your eye, it has to do with attention/no attention, I think.

Prediction

Let me make a prediction:

Within the next five to 10 years you'll open a letter from your local hardware store and there will be MOVEMENT in the letterhead - little stick figures mowing the lawn, tending the garden, painting the house and so on.

Power will come from direct light, natural or artificial. If there's enough ambient illumination to read the letterhead, you'll be able to see the movement.

Within a very few more years you'll see similar movement in newspapers (on the comic pages first), magazines and books, greeting cards, even posters and billboards. Junior's geography textbook will have an erupting volcano on the cover. The inside photographs will also have movement.

It reminds me straight away of the movie Blade Runner. Hardly any static text or image of any kind, everything is animated in some way.

RS

Back during the early 1950s both science fiction writers and futurists visualized moving image photographs appearing in books and magazines for as early as the 1980s.

But what apparently happened is that this function was replaced by moving images and short film clips on CD-Rom encyclopedias and the like and by GIF image files on the Internet.

In any case, I'll still stick with my prediction two posts above.

There are a couple of other posts on this board with regards to 'seeing' things just out of your line of sight.

I'm willing to put this thread down to a trick of the eye. It seems that the thought of a 'thing' daring to come to life when it know your not looking is just too 'daft' to bring around a rational answer.

RS

Corner of the Eye

I need a refresher lesson on the physiology of the human eye.

Many Paranormal images, even including "moving photographs," tend to be perceived "out of the corner of the eye."

So how does "corner of the eye" visualization differ from images received straight-on through the center of the iris and lens?

MIGHT there exist things and phenomena which could be perceived BETTER through "corner" vision?

Does "corner" vision see higher or lower in the visible light spectrum than "regular" sight?

If so, could this be an evolutionary vestige?

Re: Corner of the Eye

OldTimeRadio said:
I need a refresher lesson on the physiology of the human eye.
The retina contains two types of photoreceptors, rods and cones. The rods are more numerous, some 120 million, and are more sensitive than the cones. However, they are not sensitive to color.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... dcone.html

Astronomers are familiar with this fact, and often use averted vision to locate faint objects - ie, they look for them out of the corner of their eye. Staring directly at the place you think the object should be may not reveal it, but glance to the side and it may become apparent.

I'm no scientist, but is it at all possible then for an object to actually be moving ever so slightly and the 'corner of the eye' to pick this up, whilst when you look at the object with your direct line of vision, it appears static? I thought it would possibly be the other way around?

RS

phtographic scenes moving

I'm interested to read that other Forteans have the dream of 2D photos that "move" in a 3D way, as I've been dreaming of these for years now. In the dreams, I open a box of photos and examine each one, holding it in the palm of my hand. As I look, the scene in each photo moves, recapturing a few moments of what was going on at the time. The pictures are of special occasions - graduation parties and so on - and my dreaming self smiles at the memories they evoke. I know very little about the technical aspects of photography but see no reason why this should not be possible in a few years' time. I might add, I've consistently predicted (?) technological innovations in dreams for decades, the most persistent being the DVD player/recorder which I described to friends (to their great mirth) long before even VCRs were available. :p
And another thing I just remembered . . . oooh, I feel a new thread coming on - one on holographic cinema!!

I often see things moving out of the corner of my eye, only to find they are in fact not moving. I think it's just one of those visual tricks.

I reckon the first moving bits in the papers will be the adverts.

Re: Print on the Wall

OldTimeRadio said:
An Australian girl was raised with a charming framed print on her bedroom wall - the picture was of a raft full of fuzzy-bunny type animals. It was being towed down a placid river or brook by a friendly turtle.... [snip]...

The cuddly animals were entirely gone. All that remained was the turtle. He/she was sailing down the river entirely alone.

When the girl questioned her family, they insisted that the print had always been of "just a turtle on a raft."

Brrr. When I was growing up my mother told me a story she'd read or seen about a man who rents a room in a B&B; on the wall of his room there's a painting of a man rowing a boat. Every day the boat seems to be imperceptibly closer until one day the landlady comes in to find the man gone, but in the picture there are two people in the boat...

Also, in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me there's a surreal but desperately sad scene in which a distraught and doomed Laura Palmer prays in her room beneath a painting of an angel at a table.... only to see the the angel suddenly vanish from the picture.

There's a Stephen King short story about a man who buys a picture of a motorbike rider which seems to "move" through the picture; as it's an SK story you can probably guess the outcome. ;)

In the King novel It some of the characters are looking at an old photo of the town they live in when the photo comes to life and the villain Pennywise appears in the picture. Obviously a favourite idea of this author.

Leaferne said:
There's a Stephen King short story about a man who buys a picture of a motorbike rider which seems to "move" through the picture; as it's an SK story you can probably guess the outcome. ;)

I've read a Stephen King short in wich a car appears to move in a paintaing - IIRC it's called 'The road virus heads north'

Aha, that's the very one! Thanks, bigaggie1. Guess I was wrong about it being a bike (shoulda known better, SK seems to prefer cars ;)).

Re: Prediction

OldTimeRadio said:
Let me make a prediction:

Within the next five to 10 years you'll open a letter from your local hardware store and there will be MOVEMENT in the letterhead - little stick figures mowing the lawn, tending the garden, painting the house and so on.

Oh good lord...the horror! Like praying mantis people - brrrrrrrrrr :shock:

This all remnds me of one of the Sapphire and Steel stories, about a man who appears in every picture. You can't always see him, maybe he's behind a wall or has his back turned, but he's always there. In the story he comes out of the pictures, and places other people in them. The pictures change, and people disappear from them and so-on. It's incredibly creepy and scary, and makes you look at photos in a whole different way.

I wonder if this phenomena is where JK Rowling got her idea fot the moving photos & paintings in Harry Potter.

I remember many years ago reading, of all things, an Archie comic wherein Archie and the gang are at an art gallery in a small coastal town and the artist paints pictures that trap people within them. They get trapped and encounter other people this guy has trapped then Betty paints their way out then turns the table and traps the artist. CREEPY story, now that I think about it.

One of my ghost books has the following entry about Lady Hoby, said to haunt Bisham Abbey.
When Admiral Vansittart lived at Bisham, he scoffed at the idea of ghosts, until late one night, when playing chess in the room containing Lady Hoby's portrait, he finished the game and stood looking quietly out of the window. On turning to look at the painting, he saw that the frame on the wall was empty and that the ghost of Lady Hoby was in the room with him. He fled.

graylien said:
One of my ghost books has the following entry about Lady Hoby, said to haunt Bisham Abbey.
When Admiral Vansittart lived at Bisham, he scoffed at the idea of ghosts, until late one night, when playing chess in the room containing Lady Hoby's portrait, he finished the game and stood looking quietly out of the window. On turning to look at the painting, he saw that the frame on the wall was empty and that the ghost of Lady Hoby was in the room with him. He fled.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

moving pictures

:lol: :roll: :_pished: :_pished: :rofl: :headbutt: :hello: :laughing:

graylien said:

What a great story! Ummm...I'm just popping off to take down all my posters that have people in them. It's abstract art for me from now on..though imagine if that stepped out of the frame

michelleeb1970 said:
This all remnds me of one of the Sapphire and Steel stories, about a man who appears in every picture. You can't always see him, maybe he's behind a wall or has his back turned, but he's always there. In the story he comes out of the pictures, and places other people in them. The pictures change, and people disappear from them and so-on. It's incredibly creepy and scary, and makes you look at photos in a whole different way.
Like a sort of malevolent 'Where's Wally' :shock:

i find Where's Wally malevolent enough already, thank you. mean, what is the guy up to, standing in the middle of these huge crowds all the time! why is he never alone. what would happen if he ever found himself alone? are the crowds a prtoection or a distraction or noise to block out the voices in his head? and why does he have a big stick? these things worry me

And if you can't find him in the picture, he must be standing quietly behi.......... :shock:

Back