• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Muslim anger builds over Pope's speech

I reckon a lot of this has been stirred up. Do you really think that people in small Pakistani vil;lages know that the Pope wears a soutane and are able to build a reasonably accurate effigy of Benny to burn? How come a TV crew was in that remote village at the right time to film this?

Sorry, but 'Pope Benny' nearly made me choke from laughing!!! :lol:

It does smack of incitement in the press. Speaking of which, isn't religious incitement illegal now? So wouldn't reporting of this nature come under the heading of religious incitement? Okay, they'd argue they're just reporting what happens around the world, but surely it can be equally argued that they pick and chose the news articles in order to create the biggest impact, as as such, are guilty of incitement?

Just a though - okay, I'm doped up on painkillers at the moment, so I accept it's not a very rational or coherent one....but you should have seen how it looked when I first typed it!

If I didn't know differently...I would say that The Pope was trying get support for a "Vatican sanctioned new crusade"(TM)

jefflovestone said:
ShadowPrime said:
You just can't make up stuff this good...

"Anyone who describes Islam as a religion as intolerant encourages violence," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said.

Shadow

It really is frightening that these people just can't see the irony in what they say.

You have to wonder if they read or if they did read it understood the lecture. Those comments were made originally by Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus during a chat with a persion scholar and reflect the feelings of that time (1390s).

Wonder who comtrols the newspapers which initially misreported the pope?

As for calling Benedict Pope Benny - had this mental image of Benny Hill as pope (and all that that would entail).

Pope in Islam controversy

I was slightly surprised no one had posted anything on this yet:

Pope apology fails to end anger

Muslim clerics in Qom, Iran, were part of continuing protests
Pope Benedict XVI's renewed apology for comments he made last week on Islam has been welcomed by some Muslim groups but has failed to end the anger.
There were further protests in Indonesia and Iran and one influential cleric called for a day of anger.

The Pope on Sunday apologised in person for causing offence in the speech.

He said the medieval text he quoted, which said the Prophet Muhammad had brought the world only evil, did not in any way express his personal opinion.

'Stated respect'

The Pope issued his apology from the balcony at his residence at Castel Gandolfo outside Rome as he gave the Angelus blessing.

"I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims," he told pilgrims.

I hope this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address

Pope Benedict XVI

Text of Pope's apology
Excerpts from original speech

"These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought.

"I hope this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address, which in its totality was and is an invitation to frank and sincere dialogue, with mutual respect."

His clarification was welcomed by a number of Muslim groups, including the Council of Muslims in Germany, where he made the speech.

It said the Pope had taken an important step towards calming the unrest of the past few days.

The Muslim Council of Britain said the Pope's expression of regret was "exactly the reassurance many Muslims were looking for".

In Turkey, the most senior Muslim religious figure, Ali Bardakoglu, said the Pope's stated respect for Islam was a civilised position.

The government said the Pope was still expected to go ahead with a visit to Turkey in November.

But State Minister Mehmet Aydin said the pontiff appeared to be saying he was sorry for the outrage but not necessarily the remarks themselves.

"You either have to say this 'I'm sorry' in a proper way or not say it at all - are you sorry for saying such a thing or because of its consequences?" he asked.

Nun's killing

The Egyptian opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, welcomed what it called the Pope's "retraction", but later warned that it did not amount to a definitive apology and would not be enough to satisfy all Muslims.

Protests elsewhere were stronger.

Influential Qatari Muslim scholar, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, called for a day of anger this Friday, saying the Pope had not apologised.

At least seven churches have now been attacked since the speech in areas under the Palestinian Authority.

Sami Abu Zuhri, a spokesman for Hamas, which controls the Palestinian parliament, said: "We do not view the statement attributed to the Pope as an apology."

There was concern that the killing of an Italian missionary nun by gunmen in Mogadishu, Somalia, was in retaliation for the comments.

In the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, a spokesman for the Islamist group, Hizbut Tahrir, told a rally that the Pope's statements had been fuelled by an extreme hatred of Islam, and his expressions of regret were insincere.

In the Iranian city of Qom, several hundred people took part in a protest.

At the UN in New York, the president of the General Assembly, Haya Rashed al Khalifa, the first Muslim woman to head the global assembly, called on religious leaders to promote reconciliation.

She made no specific reference to the Pope's remarks but said religious forces could advance dialogue, reconciliation and peace and help people embrace difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5354862.stm

What I find most odd is that I haven't been able to track down any media outlet which reproduces the actual speech, so it is impossible to tell whether Benedict is being criticised fairly or not.

Ooops... I didn't realise there was already a discussion going on in Religions & Cults... :oops:

I will raise an Army to defend The Holy Father. I reckon we will assemble in Greece cross over and visit Constantinople and reclaim Hag Sophi for Christendom. This action will reunite Roman Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, The Copts and I reckon the Anglican Communion. Heck, I bet even Paisley will join in.

The Army of Reunited Christendom will then march eastwards...

As for calling Benedict Pope Benny - had this mental image of Benny Hill as pope (and all that that would entail).

Heh, Lupe it would bw magic! Pope Benny & his Cardinals chasing scantily clad Nuns! :D

Would make more people go to church if he was benny hill. His masses could end with him slapping an old bald man on the head and then chase around some scantily clad buxon nuns.
but not me, I cant stand the catholic church, its full of hypocrits and paedophiles.

Before I join. A few questions, if that's ok?

What are the fringe benefits...Will I be able to set up a "Palatine" etc?

What style of uniform is it...Traditional crusader look, ultra-modern outfit?

Weapons/transport...Traditional or modern?

:)

yetifeet1975 said:
then chase around some scantily clad buxon nuns.

Benny was always chased by the ladies :)

ramonmercado said:

Heh, Lupe it would bw magic! Pope Benny & his Cardinals chasing scantily clad Nuns! :D

i heard a rumour the other day that popes adopt an official name so they can still sign on the dole with their original one. the current one apparently won't apply for a job where he has to work sundays either. i'm surprised they haven't sussed him out by now.

Mr_Nemo said:
Before I join. A few questions, if that's ok?

What are the fringe benefits...Will I be able to set up a "Palatine" etc?

No problem. The spoils will go to the victors.

What style of uniform is it...Traditional crusader look, ultra-modern outfit?

Mixture. Hi-Tech body armour etc but Crusader Cross essential.

Weapons/transport...Traditional or modern?

Maybe a sword for close quarter fighting, but not a broad-sword. A scimitar would be more useful. Otherwise modern weapons.

Again with transport it depends. In some areas horses and camels may be more practical than bradleys. Remember the Special Forces attacked on horse-back in Afghanistan.

:)

Thank you, but I'll think about it first if you don't mind?

*Runs away and hides* :D

seeing as this is the RC church we are talking about, maybe we should delete the buxon scantily clad nuns and insert terrified/impressionable alter boys instead.

The Pope must die, says Muslim
By STEVE DOUGHTY and NICK MCDERMOTT

Last updated at 08:20am on 18th September 2006

Reader comments (18)

Anjem Choudary: 'Warning to those who insult Islam'

A notorious Muslim extremist told a demonstration in London yesterday that the Pope should face execution.

Anjem Choudary said those who insulted Islam would be "subject to capital punishment".

His remarks came during a protest outside Westminster Cathedral on a day that worldwide anger among Muslim hardliners towards Pope Benedict XVI appeared to deepen.

www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles ... ge_id=1770

yetifeet1975 said:
seeing as this is the RC church we are talking about, maybe we should delete the buxon scantily clad nuns andinsert terrified/impressionable alter boys instead.

fine but you might want to rephrase that last bit.

ted_bloody_maul said:
yetifeet1975 said:
seeing as this is the RC church we are talking about, maybe we should delete the buxon scantily clad nuns andinsert terrified/impressionable alter boys instead.

Yeah, it should read "altar boys" not "alter boys".

Tssss

ramonmercado said:
I will raise an Army to defend The Holy Father. I reckon we will assemble in Greece cross over and visit Constantinople and reclaim Hag Sophi for Christendom. This action will reunite Roman Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, The Copts and I reckon the Anglican Communion. Heck, I bet even Paisley will join in.

i wouldn't count on it. :shock:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CA ... 1106091852

And so the various extremist nutters emerge from the woodwork.....

DUBAI (Reuters) - An Iraqi militant group led by al Qaeda vowed a war against the "worshippers of the cross" in response to a recent speech by Pope Benedict on Islam that sparked anger across the Muslim world.

"We tell the worshipper of the cross (the Pope) that you and the West will be defeated, as is the case in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya," said an Internet statement by the Mujahideen Shura Council, an umbrella group led by Iraq's branch of al Qaeda.

"We shall break the cross and spill the wine. ... God will (help) Muslims to conquer Rome. ... God enable us to slit their throats, and make their money and descendants the bounty of the mujahideen," said the statement.

Reuters

:roll:

Dingo667 said:
ted_bloody_maul said:
yetifeet1975 said:

Yeah, it should read "altar boys" not "alter boys".

Tssss

Buts as "alter boys" you have the mental image of the pope chasing transvestites. Perhaps more terrifying?

Oh come on Ted. I was depending on you to organise the Wee Frees. Just look on it as a re-run of The Covenenters: "Christ And No Quarter!".

More words of reason by Somalia's top cleric. Coincidentally - NOT - a Nun, working in a local hospital, was murdered...

Sheikh Abubukar Hassan Malin urged Muslims to find the pontiff and punish him for insulting the Prophet Mohammed and Allah in a speech that he said was as offensive as author Salman Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses.
"We urge you Muslims wherever you are to hunt down the Pope for his barbaric statements as you have pursued Salman Rushdie, the enemy of Allah who offended our religion," he said in Friday evening prayers.

"Whoever offends our Prophet Mohammed should be killed on the spot by the nearest Muslim," Malin, a prominent cleric in the Somali capital, told worshippers at a mosque in southern Mogadishu.

"We call on all Islamic Communities across the world to take revenge on the baseless critic called the pope," he said.

Shadow

ramonmercado said:
Oh come on Ted. I was depending on you to organise the Wee Frees. Just look on it as a re-run of The Covenenters: "Christ And No Quarter!".

i can't get the wee frees on side for this one i'm afraid. they're too busy picketing outside a corner shop in barra that opens on a sunday. once they've got that sorted then they'll join in with the less-consequential battle of armageddon. ironically, though the corner shop is owned and run by a man called mohammed.

ramonmercado said:
The Pope must die, says Muslim
By STEVE DOUGHTY and NICK MCDERMOTT

Last updated at 08:20am on 18th September 2006

Reader comments (18)

Anjem Choudary: 'Warning to those who insult Islam'

A notorious Muslim extremist told a demonstration in London yesterday that the Pope should face execution.

Anjem Choudary said those who insulted Islam would be "subject to capital punishment".

His remarks came during a protest outside Westminster Cathedral on a day that worldwide anger among Muslim hardliners towards Pope Benedict XVI appeared to deepen.

www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles ... ge_id=1770

Seems to me that extremist on both sides of the devide can only benefit from this latest bullsh*t storm.
The Daily Mail gets something to scare the middleclasses further into their comfortable bigotry, the Religious types get something to shout about/burn things about/be filled with righteous indignation about.

The only losers will be the rest of us :(

I quite agree Degrizzzz. It's a real shame to see people playing up to their stereotypes like this and making things worse for everyone.

I'm finding it all rather too ridiculous for words. Also, pretty poor journalism. Find something else to talk about fer Gawd's sake!

Back