• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Strangest Experience

I've no idea. I'm not religious in the slightest but that is odd how 'they' responded to the name Jesus. & who was the voice in her head telling her to get out?

Like satan worshippers or something maybe. Hahaha I've no idea really, the story always sticks in my head as being really unsettling though. The way she tells it really gets you.

I dont know much about the lingo , but it was like a solid person under the covers but slipped off the end and nothing was there. I dont know what shadow people are but sounds creepy.
My nan was a total unbeliever in absolutely ANYTHING strange even after having experiences like this.

I remember reading that thread.I'm also on mumsnet ;)

I've only driven through the Savernake Forest but find it both beautiful and a bit creepy, I guess that comes from knowing about the Michael Ryan/Hungerford massacre from '87.
A bit of historical knowledge obviously shapes your view of a place, we go to the New Forest quite a bit and a few other 'woods' but I don't get the same creepy feeling.
Probably a different feeling if I walked those areas at night time, I'm sure I'd be pooping myself at every little sound!
Great thread btw @Happiness, welcome

Woods are creepy. I read on a thread here the other day about trees moving places or something? My brother reminded me yesterday of an experience we had where we used to live but I don't know if it's that spooky.
The first place I moved into was on the grounds of an old Victorian asylum converted into flats , we rented a ground floor flat.The hospital had closed in 2001 and my dad had worked there; not really relevant to the story but just saying it wasn't run down or anything, it had been a working hospital for years. It was a sprawling estate with woodland and little Victorian summer houses dotted about. There is a big age gap between me and my brother, he is the youngest sibling and I am the oldest. One day when he was about 8 we took him to a little park on the hospital estate that was behind the old isolation unit (now converted into a nursery that my son attended at the time). When we got to the park there were these little wicker characters under a tree proper Blair witch style . My brother remembers going towards them and picking one up and me saying "dont touch them" all dramatic like. I didn't genuinely think it was anything spooky and it isn't like I had a spooky feeling come over me I just wanted him to leave them where they were. We played at the park for an hour or so then walked back to the flat. When we got back we put the code in the main door to open the building & then unlocked my front door. There were muddy small animal (cat ?!) prints in the hallway! Pets weren't allowed and we had locked the door so I don't know how it happened. The bit that sticks in my brothers head is my boyfriend going ape shit that mud was in the hallway . I had totally forgotten about this until he mentioned it this weekend.
You could probably rationalise it that the characters were just some weirdo trying to creep kids out and maybe one of us had dirty feet prints when we left the house and they just looked like animal prints. It has obviously been something that has stuck in his head though.

I think we may be pre-programmed to find woods in the dark a bit scary. You can't see ahead of you far enough to see any danger, there could be things hiding behind the trees (predators, etc). There's always a lot of mysterious 'noises' from woodland too.

I bet there are far more 'spooky' stories attributed to woodland than to open spaces like moorland or beaches, simply because you just can't see what's making the noise...

I think we may be pre-programmed to find woods in the dark a bit scary. You can't see ahead of you far enough to see any danger, there could be things hiding behind the trees (predators, etc). There's always a lot of mysterious 'noises' from woodland too.

I bet there are far more 'spooky' stories attributed to woodland than to open spaces like moorland or beaches, simply because you just can't see what's making the noise...
It reminds me a bit of the winnie the pooh episode where rabbit is lost in the woods at night and can hear the frogs croaking and the Caterpillar munching lol.

We have threads on places that scare you, outdoor 'panic' (as induced by Pan) and so on which you might enjoy.

How do I find particular threads ? I've used the search box but can't find them. Is the thread actually called Places That Scare You?

How do I find particular threads ? I've used the search box but can't find them. Is the thread actually called Places That Scare You?

An excellent question. You may find such threads in 'General Forteana' and 'It Happened To Me'.

(The title of the one you mention may actually be something like 'Places That Make You Feel Uneasy'. There's another about places that make you feel happy.)

What I find though is that if I've tried but can't find what I'm looking for, some genius normally comes along with a list of all the threads I could possibly need. ;)

Having said I would be creeped out at night among the trees my dad always goes for a night time stroll and when I was a kid I would occasionally go with him. The woods are next to his house and I'd always feel safe in his company.
Before you ask, his nocturnal activities are strictly of a "Danny the champion of the world" nature. He still bags a few birds even at his age! Ssssh, keep this info on the down low won't you!

I'll try and search 'places that make you feel uneasy' then.
My brother had another couple of experiences that were sort of woodland related and he told me yesterday just because we were on the topic of spookiness.
He was walking back from a mates over some old train tracks that has woodland around it and tripped over something and his laces came undone. He bent down to tie them and saw someone standing right behind him. A pair of shoes, some corduroy trousers and hands by their sides sort of curled in. He stood up and turned around then heard a rustle in the TREES! Nobody was behind him. This was early on a Sunday morning when he had been at a friends the night before.
When he was about 14/15 he had been walking along the same train tracks at about 11pm with a couple of friends (they're abandoned tracks by the way so its safe) and they walked into a tunnel. This bloke appeared in the tunnel walking behind them. They went quiet and kept walking, picking up a bit of speed. One of the lads with them said "shall we run just for shits?" & then they all ran as quick as they could until they reached civilisation. So nobody mentioned the bloke but later they've all remembered seeing him. I get the impression he told my parents they were sticking to main roads because that's the first I've ever heard of him being followed Haha.

Cant find the places that make you uneasy thread so hopefully someone will stumble across this thread and put a link in for it ;)

Cant find the places that make you uneasy thread so hopefully someone will stumble across this thread and put a link in for it ;)

Last week I was after a particular thread along those lines and searched the title 'Places', which gave me lots of fascinating options.

Can't say I got much else done that day!

Last week I was after a particular thread along those lines and searched the title 'Places', which gave me lots of fascinating options.

Can't say I got much else done that day!
I'm off today and my eldest is at a friends so I fully intended to do some house jobs but I've not done anything of the sort yet.

I'm off today and my eldest is at a friends so I fully intended to do some house jobs but I've not done anything of the sort yet.

There are so many wonderful threads on'ere. What people post is mainly in good faith and we take it at face value; it's not a site for creative writing.

Well we're not gullible! But we like to discuss how a person's odd experience might have come about, without being dismissive or insulting anyone.

Sometimes trolls join and try to wind us up. We can spot them a mile off.

It has been great reading through the past few days. I quite enjoy dissecting experiences but the one I started this thread with I've never told anyone IRL about because even I think it sounds ridiculous and it happened to me. I'm more than happy to keep an open mind with others experiences and I am happy when they feel comfortable enough to talk about them. However I did come across someone I just knew was talking nonsense.
I went on a ghost hunt with a paranormal company a few weeks ago with a friend (classic Saturday night out haha) and this woman who had also paid like us was constantly going on about how she had seen all this stuff and I just didnt believe her. The bloke leading the tour said "I've been doing this for 15 years and have never seen an apparition" and this woman replied "really? I've seen 4 in the past 4 years" then we did table tipping and literally nothing happened and this woman pipes up "I've seen tables lift right up into the air higher than the people touching it" . I'm happy to go along with peoples experiences but God I wished she would shut up.

It has been great reading through the past few days. I quite enjoy dissecting experiences but the one I started this thread with I've never told anyone IRL about because even I think it sounds ridiculous and it happened to me. I'm more than happy to keep an open mind with others experiences and I am happy when they feel comfortable enough to talk about them. However I did come across someone I just knew was talking nonsense.
I went on a ghost hunt with a paranormal company a few weeks ago with a friend (classic Saturday night out haha) and this woman who had also paid like us was constantly going on about how she had seen all this stuff and I just didnt believe her. The bloke leading the tour said "I've been doing this for 15 years and have never seen an apparition" and this woman replied "really? I've seen 4 in the past 4 years" then we did table tipping and literally nothing happened and this woman pipes up "I've seen tables lift right up into the air higher than the people touching it" . I'm happy to go along with peoples experiences but God I wished she would shut up.

Our Techy has seen all of that and more. Some of his stories are on'ere. I never shut him up haha!

When people are bragging like that you can be rude to them. It's not only acceptable in that situation, it's actually good for them. I have done it.

'Yeah right OK you've been EVERYWHERE and done EVERYTHING, why don't you go and write a book?'

Or just 'You're getting on my tits now with your constant drivel. Don't you ever shut up?'

Everyone else will cringe for about one minute and then they'll carry on as normal, and X will shut up.

Our Techy has seen all of that and more. Some of his stories are on'ere. I never shut him up haha!

When people are bragging like that you can be rude to them. It's not only acceptable in that situation, it's actually good for them. I have done it.

'Yeah right OK you've been EVERYWHERE and done EVERYTHING, why don't you go and write a book?'

Or just 'You're getting on my tits now with your constant drivel. Don't you ever shut up?'

Everyone else will cringe for about one minute and then they'll carry on as normal, and X will shut up.
I aren't that confident to do that but sometimes will play the conversation over in my head imagining I had done lol. During a vigil we had to go around in a circle and say "hello spirits my name is X do you want to talk to me?" When it got to this woman, I heard someone next to me mumble "we're sick of hearing you" so I know it wasn't just me getting annoyed.

Back