• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious 10-Foot Monolith Pops Up On Welsh Hill

hunck

Antediluvian
They’re back..

Mystery 10ft monolith

At Hay-on-Wye

Locals in the Powys town spotted the block of steel – which is shaped like a giant Toblerone – on Hay Bluff over the weekend.

‘Then I went up to it and it was about 10-foot-tall at least and triangular, definitely stainless steel. It was hollow and I imagine pretty light. Light enough for two people to carry it up and plant it in the ground.’
1710201399745.png

Mystery fifth monolith appears on UK hilltop sparking huge debate

A fifth monolith has now appeared in the UK and locals don't really know what to think.

Shaped like a giant Toblerone, the 10-foot-tall block of steel was spotted in a UK town over the weekend.

This follows on from a number of mysterious sightings in the UK, Europe and the US over the past few years.

Local Richard Haynes spotted a fifth monolith as he snapped photos of the steel block in Hay Bluff, Wales.

resize

“I thought it looked a bit bizarre and might be a scientific media research thing collecting rainwater.

“But then realised it was way too tall and strange for that. Then I went up to it and it was about 10-foot-tall at least and triangular, definitely stainless steel.

"It was hollow and I imagine pretty light.

"Light enough for two people to carry it up and plant it in the ground.

“I did notice on Google that it’s popped up fairly recently and from what I can gather it disappears after a couple of days."

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/fifth-monolith-wales-uk-tiktok-001532-20240312

maximus otter

One appeared round here exactly the same it was not there some time after.

To show what knee-jerking jerks we have, they moan about tourists and firms that cater to them as well as moaning about firms closing down out of season. A novel - and free - 'portable sauna' group were on the sea front, well advertised and touring the coastal towns. Response? "Don't they know you can't camp on the beach?", "Probly (sic) migrants!", "bloody wild campers!" etc.
If this monolith were to turn up (we've a great location for it, on a high country park, overlooking a fantastic sea view), they'd probably lose their shit altogether and declare it the start of a building development, a 5g phone mast, government spy installation etc.

People round here just seemed to ignore it.

To show what knee-jerking jerks we have, they moan about tourists and firms that cater to them as well as moaning about firms closing down out of season. A novel - and free - 'portable sauna' group were on the sea front, well advertised and touring the coastal towns. Response? "Don't they know you can't camp on the beach?", "Probly (sic) migrants!", "bloody wild campers!" etc.
If this monolith were to turn up (we've a great location for it, on a high country park, overlooking a fantastic sea view), they'd probably lose their shit altogether and declare it the start of a building development, a 5g phone mast, government spy installation etc.
My pet hate (at the moment), putting "wild" in front of everything to make your activity sound more hard-core than what everyone else is doing. Wild camping, wild swimming, wild hiking... or as I like to call them camping, swimming and hiking. I can stretch to outdoor swimming and wilderness hiking (but the latter only if it really is wilderness, I'm not talking about Exmoor!)

Mystery fifth monolith appears on UK hilltop sparking huge debate

A fifth monolith has now appeared in the UK and locals don't really know what to think.

Shaped like a giant Toblerone, the 10-foot-tall block of steel was spotted in a UK town over the weekend.

This follows on from a number of mysterious sightings in the UK, Europe and the US over the past few years.

Local Richard Haynes spotted a fifth monolith as he snapped photos of the steel block in Hay Bluff, Wales.

resize

“I thought it looked a bit bizarre and might be a scientific media research thing collecting rainwater.

“But then realised it was way too tall and strange for that. Then I went up to it and it was about 10-foot-tall at least and triangular, definitely stainless steel.

"It was hollow and I imagine pretty light.

"Light enough for two people to carry it up and plant it in the ground.

“I did notice on Google that it’s popped up fairly recently and from what I can gather it disappears after a couple of days."

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/fifth-monolith-wales-uk-tiktok-001532-20240312

maximus otter
Max does it again, but BIGGER! pt.24. Top work.

My pet hate (at the moment), putting "wild" in front of everything to make your activity sound more hard-core than what everyone else is doing. Wild camping, wild swimming, wild hiking... or as I like to call them camping, swimming and hiking. I can stretch to outdoor swimming and wilderness hiking (but the latter only if it really is wilderness, I'm not talking about Exmoor!)
We have so much of that "Hey, look at me!" nonsense here it's ridiculous. Youtubers and others love to show themselves "overlanding", which is nothing more than car camping, something that has been popular for as long as there have been automobiles.

In our little part of the sticks, it seems like everyone uses Farcebook for all of their online activity, unfortunately. We not only don't have reliable sources of local news, unless it's a really big deal like a murder investigation, we don't really have much in the way of rumors. If it's not being covered by a statewide media outfit, or a TV station from one of the cities, the only place to learn about it is on one of the Moan pages, with all the silly perversions that brings with it. People are funny.

Yes, 'wild swimming' is just 'swimming' as most people before the 1960s understood it. I suppose the 'wild' thing is partly also a way of selling people stuff in connection with what's basically a free of charge, accessible experience.

See also foraging, or "blackberrying" as we used to call it.

Yes, 'wild swimming' is just 'swimming' as most people before the 1960s understood it. I suppose the 'wild' thing is partly also a way of selling people stuff in connection with what's basically a free of charge, accessible experience.

I walked past a bookshop the other day and it had a book in the window titled How To Wild Swim. What? Just get in! There, saved you the money.

We called it elderberry picking.

Mmmm love elderberry pie. As a kid,I really worked for it. De-stemming, I took care and LOTS of time at this task. I hate anything that crunches when it shouldn't. I won't eat raisin pie because I always got ONE piece of stem - shudder.

My siblings didn't care any for the final product and would do de-stemming as quickly as possible.:eek:

Alien or art? I trekked to the mysterious Welsh monolith to find out
On a sunny day, there would be many good reasons to don my walking boots and hike up Hay Bluff to its summit.

Not only is it set in the beautiful border territory of Wales and England, with sweeping views down onto the Wye Valley, it’s also just four miles south of the historic market town of Hay-on-Wye, packed with delightful book shops.

But today, in the lashing rain, with minimal visibility and the mossy ground treacherous underfoot, there can be only one reason to make this journey – to see for myself the monolith that has mysteriously emerged on this mountain top and become the talk of the town, if not the world.
555328cf5814e245f9a9c662f200d6db

We inch closer, dodging the pools of stagnant water and moss. It’s real, at least. Hollow, but seemingly held up by an interior pillar.

To inspect it, I take off my shades, which have been keeping the rain from my eyes. There’s more metal in the ground, which has clearly been exposed by those keen to check its foundations. These appear to keep it weighted and upright, but even then it is blowing about in the wind.

345dd2ec72569984cf0e008fb332cdd8

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/alien-art-trekked-mysterious-welsh-170000477.html

We've a huge elderberry tree and many blackberry bushes in our garden. and three ancient apple trees.
We like to think we're a smallholding. :)
My Mum used to make elderberry champagne. I don't care how you're going to do it, that's your problem to work out but just do it. It's sex. Anyway .. monoliths .. surely there must be blatant welding marks somewhere on these prankster objects? ..

Last edited:
Alien or art? I trekked to the mysterious Welsh monolith to find out
I consider none of these monoliths alien nor art. If they were not copycatted or at least had some artistic leaning :cool:, such as use of different metals or styles, (not just a three sided piece of aluminum) or constructed in a setting that is enhanced by them, then I might change my mind.

Alien... pshaw. I would hope that aliens, who most believers think are more advanced than us, would be able to do better.

My Mum used to make elderberry champagne. I don't care how you're going to do it, that's your problem to work out but just do it. It's sex. Anyway .. monoliths .. surely there must be blatant welding marks somewhere on these prankster objects? ..
I remember making that stuff back in the 70s. Grandma showed us her way of doing it.
It was amazing and so fizzy that a couple of bottles exploded.

Back