• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fabio Picasso

Ephemeral Spectre
Hello everyone:I am very interested in sharing part of the folklore of my country with the intention of carrying out comparative analyses with that of other places. I have taken as a beginning the information referring to strange creatures such as shapeshifters, skinwalkers, wolfmen, hairy hominids and others

The Legend of Uturunco (Jaguar-man)
I quote:
La Leyenda del Yaguareté Abá, Juan B. Ambrosetti, Anales de la. Sociedad. Científica. Argentina. — Vol.. XLI, 1896

In the Calchaquies valleys of the province of Catamarca and even
Salta , jaguars instill a superstitious fear, not so much because of their ferocity but because there is a belief that the Uturuncos, as
they call them, are people transformed into these carnivores, and as proof of this I (Ambrosetti) will quote the following paragraphs of the distinguished Americanist Samuel A. Lafone Quevedo, master in these questions
(1)When talking about the Chiqui festival (A goblin-like creature that represents evil) «Here I allow myself to suggest a reason why the Suri (Ñandu) could not contribute his head to the offerings to Chiquí. Those aborigines believed that human beings had the ability to take the form of animals,
That is why they respected the Suri or Ñandu, suspicious of
that some of his people could be effectively transformed into the bird.
«To this day the most ignorant people of all those places
believe that many of the jaguars (Uturuncos) are transformed men
and for them there is something diabolical about the one who hunts them. On those occasions the beast manages to chew its hunter, it seems that it episode causes a certain "pleasure to those who hear or tell the story."
As can be seen here the metamorphosis of man
in Jaguar it is clearly explained

(1) London and Catamarca. Letters to La Nacíon (Buenos Aires, newspaper), 1883-84-85, pages 255 and 256. Printing
and May bookstore.
Frontpage.jpg

I quote:
La Leyenda del Yaguareté Abá, Juan B. Ambrosetti, Anales de la. Sociedad. Científica. Argentina. — Vol.. XLI, 1896

In the Calchaquies valleys of the province of Catamarca and even
Salta , jaguars instill a superstitious fear, not so much because of their ferocity but because there is a belief that the Uturuncos, as
they call them, are people transformed into these carnivores, and as proof of this I (Ambrosetti) will quote the following paragraphs of the distinguished Americanist Samuel A. Lafone Quevedo, master in these questions
(1)When talking about the Chiqui festival (A goblin-like creature that represents evil) «Here I allow myself to suggest a reason why the Suri (Ñandu) could not contribute his head to the offerings to Chiquí. Those aborigines believed that human beings had the ability to take the form of animals,
That is why they respected the Suri or Ñandu, suspicious of
that some of his people could be effectively transformed into the bird.
«To this day the most ignorant people of all those places
believe that many of the jaguars (Uturuncos) are transformed men
and for them there is something diabolical about the one who hunts them. On those occasions the beast manages to chew its hunter, it seems that it episode causes a certain "pleasure to those who hear or tell the story."
As can be seen here the metamorphosis of man
in Jaguar it is clearly explained

(1) London and Catamarca. Letters to La Nacíon (Buenos Aires, newspaper), 1883-84-85, pages 255 and 256. Printing
and May bookstore.
View attachment 75371
Thanks for this. Is the original text available online? If so, could you provide a link?

Isidoro, The Guanaco-boy, 1870

The Author:
Paolo Mantegazza (Monza, October 31, 1831 - San Terenzo, August 28, 1910) was an Italian doctor, neurologist, physiologist and anthropologist. He is considered the founder of Italian anthropological science. In 1854 he traveled to South America and settled in the province of Salta, in Argentina, where he lived for several years, constantly coming and going from his native homeland.

1712522013638.png

Mantegazza, Pablo - Viajes por el Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires, 1916, pp.254-255

A poor eight-year-old boy, named Isidoro, orphaned and born
In the valleys of Salta, every day he led a flock of sheep and stayed in the hills until the afternoon, when who was returning to his masters' house. One day the flock returned without its pastor, and despite all the efforts that were made, there was no
more news of his whereabouts. Twenty years later, some shepherds claimed that they had seen the devil running through the hills, in the middle of a troop of guanacos. This news, repeated by several people, worthy of faith, induced one of the most daring hurdlers, without fear
To the devil, to lie in wait in the place where the guanacos used to
graze, and with the balls (a typical Argentine throwing weapon), he seized an extraordinary bipedal, completely naked, covered in hair and with hair loose. Neither pleas nor threats were enough to make him speak, and he only knew pronounce the name of Isidoro. He hated meat and the society of men, and lived only on milk, herbs and fruits. after one brief and forced stay among his former countrymen, he fled second time, and for the second time he was arrested. taught to speak and to be a man, and confessed that having gotten lost in the woods, he had become familiar with the guanacos, those who were accustomed to seeing him In their deserts, they became his good friends, he sucked the milk of the females and grazed with them. In the last years of his old age, Isidoro The guanaco (as it was called in Salta) was very shy, fast in the race like the horse, and in all its movements it represented the animal that had been his companion for so many years.
This is an authentic fact, reported by people very worthy of faith,
and that he can meet with other similar people known in Europe.

https://archive.org/details/viajesporelrode00hellgoog

Attachments

• Mantegazza, Paolo - Viajes por el Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires, 1916, p.254-255.pdf
    374.4 KB · Views: 9
The Uturunco in present times.
Chupacabras, uturunco or jaguar?
November 8, 2014
El Tribuno (Salta Newspaper)

An unclassified predator prowls the fields of Salta and terrifies small farmers by murdering their goats.These days some strange animal or being that we cannot identify is lurking in the fields of Salta. The evidence of its presence leaves no doubt: forty dead goats in Coronel Cornejo, fifteen more animals in Palomitas, all with exactly the same cut on the neck and a death without bleeding. All the animals were attacked in a time that is estimated to be very short; they were all in the corral itself and among other breeding animals; in neither case did guard dogs alert anyone to the presence of a predator, nor was there any sound that would attract the attention of their owners. No trace or sign of violence were found in the surrounding area.

Although the first reference that is heard when talking about this type of animal massacre is 'Chupacabra' (Goat-sucker), another possibility also returns from the ancient myths of our region: 'Uturunco' is a mythological being that unites man and jaguar, a very widespread legend that is found from the cultures of Central America to those of Patagonia. Although in each region the legend has taken on its own characteristics, we can distinguish points in common, such as that of the time of thr appearance of Uturunco, which always occurs in the days following excessively hot weather, generally close to full-moon nights.

At such times the Uturunco is said to come out to 'hunt' both animals and men or souls without destiny. This transformation [from man to jaguar] might occur because the man possesses a magical jaguar skin inherited from ancients witches. When this person is mysteriously called, he wraps himself in the leather and with some ancient words emerges from his wrapping as Uturunco.

For the provinces of Mesopotamia, however, it is a curse and not a choice. The victim is bitten by another Uturunco, changing his destiny for eternity. It also happens that it is impossible to kill him. Your curse can be changed only through the love of a woman, because the Uturunco is always a man.

The Chupacabra is a contemporary myth and its birthplace is Central America. We owe the spread of its existence to the United States, where there were mutilations of animals with characteristics that were difficult to classify compared with other predator attacks. Although the first news of the Chupacabra arose in Puerto Rico, the cases of mutilated animals in Texas forced the official investigators to give a verdict, so the attacker was classified as a 'Canid'. However, due to its very particular method of killing, the Chupacabra has also been judged a winged being, a reptile, etc.

In June 2002 on the La Troja farm, about 75 kilometers from Salta, in the middle of an impenetrable mountain, a group of almost surgically mutilated cows were found without any sign of a predator's footprints or any evidence of their having bled to death despite the fact that the flesh around the eyes, tongue, lower jaws, genital organs of female specimens and udders [had been removed?]

The most recent attack was when fifteen goats from a school in the Güemense area were found dead. Local residents claim that a supposed 'chupacabra' murdered an entire herd. They have wounds in the neck and there were no feline tracks in the place," the Chronicle said.

The attacks of this unique predator began last Friday, first in a Coronel Cornejo farm, twenty kilometers from Tartagal. Although the producers stood guard, the next day the deaths were repeated. Something attacked and killed sixteen large animals within the Villalba family corrals, which are located a few meters from the main house. Nobody heard any of the six dogs in the house, nor the moan of a single goat that was attacked. Whatever it was, it left no traces that reveal its identity.

"When a big cat wants to teach its young to kill, it generally kills several animals, but it leaves marks, you can hear the screaming, and it always targets the smallest goats," says fisherman Juan Ruarte, an expert in Salta forests.

The second attack happened in a rural school, last Monday in the area of Palomitas from the General Güemes department, 65 kilometers southeast of Salta. This time they found fifteen large lifeless specimens with deep cuts on their necks, similar to those of the animals killed in Coronel Cornejo. Again, nobody in Palomitas saw or heard any strange movements, nor were any footprints discovered, so the Police Rural have ruled out a large feline.

Source
https://www.eltribuno.com/salta/not...as-uturunco-o-jaguar-chupacabras-inexplicable

The Yaguarete-Aba (Version of Uturunco in eastern Argentina, South of Brazil and Paraguay)

The Yaguareté-abá is a native that lives in the forest and transformsin jaguar, that's why they call it Yaguareté-abá. That one lives in the jungle and his house is made of tree bark. He eats the flesh of humans, mules and cows. Go into houses and kill people and loot everything.In Brazil there were many Yaguareté-abá when II lived in that area. A Commission of hunters was assigned to kill him but he fought and the bullets did not harm him.If the bullets were blessed they could be more effective. He could also be killed by striking him with a blessed machete (large knife used for disassembling). Here in the forest of Misiones they existed when I was a boy (c1914) but at present they no longer exist.The Yaguareté-abá is a living being of the world, it has no tail. and it is half animal and half human. The hands and paws areof humans. His forehead is bare and very wide.The Yaguareté-abá is a kind of sorcerer. Its existence is hidden and it is more ferocious than the jaguar. All people are very afraid of it.

Juan Herrera, 47 years old.
Axeman of the jungle of the province of Misiones
First-hand account compiled in Iguazú Falls. Misiones. 1951.
Credit: Berta Vidal de Battini (Argentine Folklorist, writer, researcher and teacher, b.1900,d.1984)

The Ucumar were-bear from Salta, Argentine

The Ucumar is a bear-shaped creature, like a werebear. They say
that lives in places deep in the ravines, in the caves of the rocks. They say he is short and has a bulging belly. He has long beard, and feet and legs like bears. With that form let footprints where he walks and especially near the slopes where you go to drink water. The Ucumar kidnaps the women and He takes them to live with him and also steals the children. They say that He has small but very lively eyes, with a very strong.
There are many cases of Ucumar who has stolen women and has had children with them. They say that with the passage of time
the mother and son escape from their captor and return to live with their families.

Basilio Mamani, 30 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Las Costas, Salta. 1953.
Credit: Berta Vidal de Battini (Argentine Folklorist, writer, researcher and teacher, b.1900,d.1984)

@Fabio Picasso, with all of these shapeshifters in the country, are there any stories that correlate to yetis, sasquatch, bigfoot? Or is the culture different in that there are many were-animals and not so much anything viewed (as in believed) as a bipedal hominid?

I'm not sure if my question makes sense, but your stories feature a lot of animal-human beings. Does the Argentinian culture or folklore have any beings that resemble yetis et al?

I don't know that I believe in such creatures, but I am interested in if other countries have similar things. This I do find interesting.

Runa Uturunco (Man-Jaguar Skinwalker) from Tucuman province, Argentine

They say that the Runa (Man) Uturunco was a man who had bought from Evil the art of transforming himself
in jaguar, having for that purpose prepared a very large skin of that feline
When he wanted to become the animal walked away in solitude and hid, so that no one would see it. And reciting a few words, he placed the leather on the ground. Then he rolled over him to the side of his left hand and when he got up he was already transformed into a jaguar. He could be seen roaring and doing scare People. When they saw him, they fled, losing everything they carried, out of fear, because the animal was very fierce, large, and its eyes were like two lamps that illuminated very far away. But, they say it was only scary, because it didn't devour anyone.
When he wanted to transform again in human he threw himself to the ground, and that he turned in the opposite direction, that is, towards the right hand. And repeating the words, the leather came off and he was left with the human form again. They affirm that always, he was a good man, who had many friends, which is why he did not do damage.​

Juan Antonio Dorado, 50 years old. Sugar cane plantation worker
First-hand account compiled in Colonia Santa Rosa del Ingenio (Sugar cane plantation) La Trinidad, Río Chico, Tucumán. 1956

Last edited:
Ucumar or Ucumari reported in Santa Barbara Mountains, Jujuy province , Argentine, 1898

Around the year 1898, I was traveling through the mountains of
Saint Barbara. Having arrived at a stallholder's house, I found out what I am going to tell.
The lady of the stall with some young women went to gather firewood, and they moved a little far, to the edge of a river. Suddenly they returned from there fleeing because they had seen the Ucumari. The being was shouting at them from the opposite bank of the river. Likewise in those days, crossing the forests we found the footprints of the Ucumari. The foot or paw, whatever you want to call it, of the Ucumari, has the big toe very open, differentiating it from ours. We chase him and we see him
about two hundred meters away. When there is fear there is caution, we do not get closer.
The Ucumari is a being the size of a large man, who always walks with his two legs. His arms and legs are hairy and his face is very similar to that of a human.
Many stories are told of the Ucumari, who has the habit of stealing women with whom he had descendants. If it was a boy it would develop like Ucumari. The Ucumari in question is like a big bear.

1713413380708.png

Santa Barbara Mountains
Sixto Celestino Lizarraga, 90 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Pálpala, Jujuy, 1952.

Hello everyone:I am very interested in sharing part of the folklore of my country with the intention of carrying out comparative analyses with that of other places. I have taken as a beginning the information referring to strange creatures such as shapeshifters, skinwalkers, wolfmen, hairy hominids and others

In regard to the comparison of legends in relation to feline apex predators, it might be worth trying to track down a copy of Patrick Newman's book, Tracking the Weretiger: Supernatural Man-Eaters of India, China and Southeast Asia.

To quote myself from somewhere else, the book:

...ties together the two subjects of man-eaters and the supernatural that I've alluded to above. It's a thoroughly absorbing read - and one I would thoroughly recommend. Having picked up the odd resonance, I later re-read it alongside the Derek Brockis translation of Abbé Pierre Pourcher's The Beast of Gevaudan. Despite the very clear and significant differences in time and place it really was quite interesting how often those resonances occurred.[/I]

In the Calchaquies valleys of the province of Catamarca and even Salta , jaguars instill a superstitious fear, not so much because of their ferocity but because there is a belief that the Uturuncos, as they call them, are people transformed into these carnivores, and as proof of this...

I’m absolutely no expert, but I’d take a guess that in Africa and India, in cultural terms, the leopard may most easily fit the space occupied by the jaguar in South American cultures. Clearly other big cats are treated with fear and awe as well, but there seems to be something intrinsically otherworldly about the leopard.

Again, to quote myself from somewhere else on the board:

Leopards are - to my mind - the spookiest of the big cats. Jim Corbett's memoirs of hunting maneaters in India contain descriptions of incidents where leopards have opened doors or window shutters, sauntered through rooms full of sleeping people, taken an individual sleeper, and then returned the same way with their prey - no-one in the room being any the wiser until they wake in the morning.

In relation to Uturunco, I wonder if it might be worth looking at the Anyoto / Leopard Society present in Western Africa in the late 1800’s early 1900’s. It’s kind of hard to tell now how much the idea of the Leopard Men was based on reality, and how much was the result of some sort of fever dream of the Colonial era – but even as a myth it might still have relevance.

In regard to the comparison of legends in relation to feline apex predators, it might be worth trying to track down a copy of Patrick Newman's book, Tracking the Weretiger: Supernatural Man-Eaters of India, China and Southeast Asia.

To quote myself from somewhere else, the book:

I’m absolutely no expert, but I’d take a guess that in Africa and India, in cultural terms, the leopard may most easily fit the space occupied by the jaguar in South American cultures. Clearly other big cats are treated with fear and awe as well, but there seems to be something intrinsically otherworldly about the leopard.

Again, to quote myself from somewhere else on the board:

In relation to Uturunco, I wonder if it might be worth looking at the Anyoto / Leopard Society present in Western Africa in the late 1800’s early 1900’s. It’s kind of hard to tell now how much the idea of the Leopard Men was based on reality, and how much was the result of some sort of fever dream of the Colonial era – but even as a myth it might still have relevance.

Your notes are very interesting. I have a copy of the book in my hands.
Tracking The Weretiger Supernatural Man-Eaters of India, China and Southeast Asia which I am obviously going to read deeply. A note worth mentioning is that on this continent the jaguar is commonly called a tiger, even though this species is not native to these lands. That name was given to it by the Spanish conquerors in the 16th century. (Most of the oral stories that I have transcribed in the forum mention the word tiger that I have changed to Jaguar to avoid confusion with readers who are unaware of this topic)
It is very important to highlight that the Jaguar has two opposite images in the legends of the natives.
One of them is the one that involves the Uturunco or Yaguarete-Aba, named according to the geographical regions.
Their actions would at best cause terror and at worst death.
On the other hand, the use of Jaguar skins in magical rituals implied the admiration of the Comechingones natives for this enormous feline. Not only have I collected oral testimonies but there are cave paintings that prove this.

1713450412110.png

Cerro Colorado, Northern Cordoba, Argentine​

Regarding the metamorphoses of men into felines there is a very interesting article, unfortunately in Spanish.

Pastor, Sebastian - Acerca de la metamorfosis humano-felino en el arte rupestre de Serrezuela, Cordoba, Anales del Museo de América XX (2012). pp. 144-165
Pastor, Sebastian - About the human-feline metamorphosis in the rock art of Serrezuela, Cordoba, Anales del Museo de América XX (2012). pp. 144-165
https://www.cultura.gob.es/museodea...ales-del-museo-de-america-xx-2012-144-min.pdf

Last edited:
Men-Jaguars from Costa Rica (Central America)

Among the current Talamanca indigenous people, descendants of the Huetares-Talamanqueños, it is said that "the healer used to formerly to become some animal" and "he had under his command sacred jaguars known by the name of 'dogs', the same as snakes..." It is possible to observe that, in ancient times, "the ability of the shaman of becoming an animal, especially a fierce or dangerous one, occupies a prominent place within the magical consensus.
Thus, "were-jaguars are the core theme of some of the myths natives. In the tale of the tapir, this animal led a herd of jaguars and ate the natives. These were-jaguars had human form during the day and at night they became jaguars. In one of the accounts of the war of the Talamancas against the Changuenes, the healer turned into a rat-jaguar, which, being a rat, could be easily transported and in this way punish the healer enemy, In another version of the same event, the skull of the shaman, who had been sacrificed, falls and transforms in a feline that in this way takes revenge by eating its enemies, Also the shaman of Talamanca arrives transformed into a jaguar and kills everyone.

Source : Cabello Carro, Maria Paz - Iconogralla y Significado del Jaguar en Pueblos Mesoamericanos: Chorotegas y Nicaraos, Revista Española Antropología Americana, Nº 10, 1980, pp.43-66

The Tiger People: wise men of metamorphosis in the Bolivian Amazon
The Tiger-people are a legend of the Amazonian cultures of Bolivia. There are records about these creatures in the Movimas and Yurakarés stories. However, there are very similar narratives in northern Argentina and in the Paraguayan Chaco.

According to the Movima, the Tiger People are wise old men or wise women capable of transforming into jaguars and returning to their human form whenever they wish (although they could also adapt other animal forms). In Bolivia, some Amazonian peoples call the jaguar a tiger. This may be due to the linguistic influence that colonization and evangelization brought with it in the region, since this is not the natural habitat of the tiger (Panthera tigris), which is found only on the Asian continent.

The “power” of the Tiger People was locked in with a lot of suspicion for the communities. Only some elders and wise men had permission to retreat for a time to the depths of the jungle, where they acquired the knowledge and skills to transform themselves into 'tigers'. This ability was not just a magical feat, but was considered a learned and perfected technique.

The White Tiger and the living leather
A popular Movima story tells how an old woman taught the art of transformation to a white woman who came to the community and gained her trust, breaking the internal law of not transmitting that knowledge. This act led to a tragedy when the stranger, transformed into a tiger, devoured a child from the community who was walking with his brother in the jungle.

“It says that the tiger undressed and walked naked from the edge of a water hole. It was a tiger, a white tiger woman. She went towards the pool, completely naked. He arrives and flattens himself on the banks of the well and unties the knot in his hair. He squeezes it out, draining pure blood, he washes his head.”

The boy's older brother discovers the person responsible for his brother's death and seeks revenge. He manages to capture the tiger woman and take her back to the community, where he claims that a jaguar skin is what allows the woman to transform.

«I brought it because this is not a human being, it is an animal, it is a tiger, and there is its skin, that is my proof. (…) He says that it moved, that leather moved, it was alive. They put it on a stake that we call chichapi. They burn the leather and the woman dies. That is what happened in Santa Ana de Yacuma.”

This story reinforces the unwritten law of some communities, about avoiding openly sharing their customs and ancestral knowledge with foreign people. Since they could be used with bad intentions.

They report that the ability to transform into a tiger was used as a strategy to survive in the jungle during daily hunting. Not to harm other people.

“At that time, the wise men did not do it to do something evil but to be able to survive in their hunts, because at that time there was no livestock in Santa Ana de Yacuma. They lived only by hunting wild animals. They hunted deer and peccaries (Small American boars). For that they learned to transform into animals”

The Tigre-people of the Yurakarés
For the Yurakarés, the Tiger People or Tiger-people, are mainly witches. Men and women, from the same community, who possess the supernatural ability to transform. However, for them transformation is achieved in another way, and the Tiger People have some very particular characteristics.

They say that to transform into Tiger People, witches "must roll in their (tiger's) urine in the moonlight at midnight." Others say that they must also use the tiger's skin and "roll in it."

The way to recognize Tiger People is that they are a little smaller than animal jaguars and “[They also] say that they have human genitalia.”

There are other narratives, which ensure that this “power” is used as a form of social control. The “sorcerers” or wise men are people with moral authority in the communities and many times, legends serve as a tool that helps maintain the established order.

“Then this man found out that his daughter was being mistreated by her husband. So, the stepfather, thus turned into a tiger, is looking for him to eat him and so that is what he is doing right now and they say that for some time now it has been about four months that the man no longer hits his wife out of fear. ”.​

Credit:Michelle Nogales (2023)

The Uturunco of Catamarca, Argentine. The only one turned into a puma

Now I am going to tell you, a story, that here, in the Ampujaco area, they count it as true and occurred
over there The goats and sheep began to get lost in a alarming way. Lastly the cows and the foals. They were saying
that it was an uturunco, in the form of a puma, that did the damage. There lived in the middle of the hills a man named Andronicus. He lived alone and was not a fan of receiving visitors or having contact with neighbors. When someone visited him he received it far from home. And most of the time he was away or not there in his hut. People began to distrust him. There was brave locals like Don Damián Coló, for example, or Don Samuelito, who had dogs to deal with the pumas.
On one of those occasions when this supposed puma attacked, it did terrible damage. in the sheepfolds. He killed, ate and did iniquities with livestock. During one of these attacks he was surprised by Don Samuelito with his dogs. Chaco is called here round. In this region, the operations to hunt the puma are called "Chaco" because there are no jaguars exist. They track it after it feeds and drinks water. Once the puma hunts, it moves directly to a waterhole. to quench his thirst and hides in the darkest ravines to sleep. Then the hunters separate and wait for him in the high areas, valley entrances, clearings in the forests. When they are placed, after a signal is given, the tracker just enters with the dogs.
They find him where he is sleeping and scare him away. But as the lion leaps towards the rocks and rises over the cliffs,
so the dogs are at a disadvantage. This is how they would have acted with this Mr. Andronicus, because people already knew that that was the uturunco that transformed into a puma. Shortly after, Don Samuelito perceives the creature about twenty meters away. and then he shot him and he was hit on a plain. The hunting dogs began to jump, to one side and to the other. But the puma was not visible even from the position of the hunter who was on a hill. It had not left the bushes. He only left when the dogs stopped harassing him. The hunter tracked him everywhere. He retreated in fear to tell his hunting companions that the puma had disappeared. With his companions they searched all those places where they had seen him but without success and returned to their homes. That night, an inhabitant of Ampujaco had stayed to sleep in the town of El Durazno. The next day, at dawn, returning to his town the He saw, as he passed through the area where the hunters had been, that the puma was there, erasing all his tracks. They went to hunt him again towards the Las Morcillas area, in a Barranca called Andronico's (Because the Uturunco used to come from there) They chased him there and into an area clear of obstacles. Then, if the men were on horseback, the puma had no salvation. But when he saw himself surrounded, he made an effort and jumped over the ravine. about six meters high. When men and dogs turned away to capture him, he was no longer there, not a trace had been left.
As there were thousands and thousands of stones, which one corresponded to Uturunco. (They believed that Uturunco could turn into stones). Although they hammered the stones, they only managed to dent the
knives. Finally they had to return to their homes. Until one day came, the entire town, the entire neighborhood, could not stand the distrust towards Andrònico.
One of the locals, walking through the deep ravines, heard loud snoring. He approached and saw that there was a puma
huge sleeping under shade. He stepped back and took a huge stone hit him on the head. The animal shuddered. And he continued throwing others at him. It happened that in the last death rattles of the animal little by little He was transforming into a man. A bleeding man with his skull massacred by stones. Scared and desperate
He fled in search of his neighbors. They arrived at high speed and found him. had dragged some few steps and he was dead. In the inside pocket from his coat, he had a tiny puma leather. At that time, a local resident said that he had once seen him. taking something out of his pocket, like a piece of leather, and shortly afterward he rolled around like a dog on its side to finally transform into a puma. All of them agreed to testify that Andronico had fallen off the cliff.
When they searched the house they found hides, wool, dried meat and all kinds of clothing that he stole and took
to his cabin. With the death of Andronicus the Uuturunco the evil in the area ended.

Perfecto Bazán, 49 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Belen, Catamarca, 1968.

Black Goblins of the water, Corrientes Province

In summer naps and on moonlit nights they come out the black globins of the water to dance on the coast of the lagoons.
They say they invite children to dance with them. It's like a magnetic call, because they say that no one can escape of the invitation to the dance. And when they are dancing, suddenly, they sink into the water, carrying the poor children. It is dangerous for children to get close to the water during hot naps and on moonlit nights, because the little black people come out of the water and drown them.
They say that these creatures from the water were little black shepherds that the bosses whipped them to death because they left lose the animals they cared for.​

Luisa Gómez, 45 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Goya. Corrientes. 1948.

Last edited:
The Black Cyclop of the Water Corrientes Province

In a place in Carrizal, where there are many sources of water, known as Ibera, like the large lagoon, lives a block little man. He is the owner of the water or the black goblin of the water.
He has only one eye. When a boy approaches the spring this being appears and tells him to return to his house, that the mother is calling him. The boy, upon seeing that monstrous cyclops, with a only one big eye in the middle of the forehead, he starts a desperate race towards his home, crazy with fright. So the children do not go to that place because it is dangerous and they return home.
Juana López, 30 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Colonia 3 de Abril. Bella Vista. Corrientes, 1948.

Black Goblins of the water, Corrientes Province

In summer naps and on moonlit nights they come out the black globins of the water to dance on the coast of the lagoons.
They say they invite children to dance with them. It's like a magnetic call, because they say that no one can escape of the invitation to the dance. And when they are dancing, suddenly, they sink into the water, carrying the poor children. It is dangerous for children to get close to the water during hot naps and on moonlit nights, because the little black people come out of the water and drown them.
They say that these creatures from the water were little black shepherds that the bosses whipped them to death because they left lose the animals they cared for.​

Luisa Gómez, 45 years old.
First-hand account compiled in Goya. Corrientes. 1948.
Why is it that shepherds are related to water? Was it a way they were disposed of by their murderous bosses? Just wondering why the goblins would be luring the children into water.

Why is it that shepherds are related to water? Was it a way they were disposed of by their murderous bosses? Just wondering why the goblins would be luring the children into water.
Well, the entire region to which this legend belongs is characterized by being abundant in water sources. Rivers, lagoons, springs, so the legends are mostly associated with that element.
Water sources are places where it was easy to make people disappear since there probably wouldn't be many traces of them left. The warm climate and aquatic predators such as piranhas, scavenging fish and alligators dispose of the bodies very quickly.
The entire area called Argentine Mesopotamia as well as the provinces of Chaco, Formosa, and regions of Brazil and Paraguay are characterized by abundant myths and legends linked to water. The expression Pora or ghost is associated with the Y which means water, hence the concept of Y-Pora or ghost or being of the waters. An example of what I am talking about is the interesting article by the Brazilian folklorist Luis da Camara Cascudo, The myths of the waters of Brazil.

Finally, the supernatural beings of the waters are the product of supposed souls of those killed by accident or murdered in the waters, which, following the eternal cycle of death, try to throw the living into the depths.

The Cachiru, Giant Owl, Calchaquies Valleys, Northwest of Argentine

Also called Cachurú. He is a very feared evil divinity in the Mailín region, Santiago del Estero. It represents it in the shape of a huge powerful owl claws and sharp beak.. Its plumage is dark gray and harsh, degrading into bristles at the height of the legs. His eyes are enormous and phosphorescent, they shine like bonfires in the shade. This light and its ominous screams are the only signs that denounce its silent flight. · It is said that it can lift a man into the air or tear your body apart in a second. But he prefers to snatch the soul from his prey at the hour of his death, to turn it into a terrible ghost.. Lives in the most inaccessible depths of the forest where the man does not penetrate. But as these forests become increasingly scarce, his reign declines and even seems to be over.​

Credit : Colombres, Adolfo - Seres Sobrenaturales de la Cultura Popular Argentina, 2009

Nguruvilu The Wild Cat of the Waters, Araucanina territory, Argentine

Also known as Guruvilu o Ñirivilu. In Aluminé (Neuquen province) is called Ngarrafilu. Araucanian deity of the water, which lives in rivers and lagoons and rarely time it comes ashore. When this happens, he shivers as if he were freezing to death. He is a male being, He is represented with the shape of a wild cat whose tail ends in a terrible claw with which it envelops sailors, bathers and
riders to take them to the bottom of the water and drown them. They say that so much It is his strength, that with it he can drag a man on horseback. It is also described as a fox with a body like snake, which usually wraps itself around the legs of horses who swim across a river, until they sink with their rider. The latter can be saved from the trance by attacking it with a very sharp knife until you can remove it from the legs of the nitnal. Whenever someone drowns in a river and disappears in it, it is said that they were a victim of Ngüruvilu.

Credit : Colombres, Adolfo - Seres Sobrenaturales de la Cultura Popular Argentina, 2009

The Caá-Porá Giant Humanoid of the Forest, Guarani Land

Forest ghost. It is a fantastic entity from the Guaraní area. His shape is like a man of gigantic size, monstrous and hairy, who smokes a pipe made from a skull. and a human tibia, and devours people by sucking them. Only discards the intestines, which he leaves scattered on the ground This is the most terrible characterization ever. known. In Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) it is conceived as a woman owner and protector of forest animals. If she likes a hunter, she can help him get a prey. Otherwise, it will attack the hunting dogs by hitting them with an invisible club until they fall in pain, allowing so that the persecuted animals get to safety.
It is also described as a hairy giant with a large head, who lives in the forests and eats animals. that the man kills but does not find, or they flee wounded to die far from the hunter. In the legend that is known in Corrientes and Misiones provinces of Argentine it is described as a hairy man who appears to the hunters riding the last peccary of the herd. They are hunting, to leave the hunters idiotic to always or bring them other disgraces. Many hunters are careful not to commit such exterminations of forest animals.
Sometimes the Caá-Porá becomes a simple Póra or ghost
that appears in the forest, in the form of a pig or dog that breathes fire from its mouth and thus terrifies the animals.

Back