• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New House Spookiness

macrosblack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
By this thread I wish others to share their personal experiences of strangness after moving into a new house of flat.

My encounters with such oddness relate to a flat I moved into many moons ago. Living alone I would come home from work and occasionally find things moved To my surprise I also found my shoes neatly laid in a V shape some mornings. Then there was the bathroom door opening in front of me one night as I nipped to the loo from my bed (bath and loo where seperate rooms - both closed) The noise of something hitting the gorund in the kitchen(finding nothing there), TV playing up, a new born puppy started pulling out its own hair and anything else electical playing up just when i required it to work. Part of my time in this flat is mentioned in another thread - where I stopped dead in my tracks and felt something around me.

Turns out the flat was originally owned by an old women. She had lived there for most of her life and avoided outdoor life. When I learnt of this halfway through my stay I felt spooked but not afraid by the oddness. The wierdness never scared me away. Strangley, I just let it happen and got on with things.

Reflecting upon this oddness,its still a mystery but what ever it was never intended to spook me. Im left thinking it took a simple interest in me.

we had a bit of oddness when we moved into our new house in january 2011 , I put a lot of it down to having lived in an apartment for five years and not being used to the noises of a house.we had a lot of someone walking around upstairs type noise,a sound like someone getting up off our leather couch even though no one was sitting there and the smell of cigarette smoke all of a sudden taking over a room (previous owner probably smoked and it was released now and then?) but the thing that scared me was one weekend morning our son five at the time came in to our room and sat on the bed as usual chatting and playing and he said I went into emma (our daughter then two) to see if she wanted to play but she wouldnt answer me she was standing in the corner of her room ignoring me for a few minutes and I went to go out and then the real emma sat up in bed and said hi darragh to me and she got out of bed.then he went on talking about something else like it was nothing while I was sat there going grey :shock: I asked him very calmly so as not to make a thing of it what did this other emma do? look like and so on he said she had on the same pjs but blue, emma has no blue pjs in fact there isnt a blue thing in her room not one and she just stood staring untill I saw the real emma in bed.At this point I left it at that as he went off playing I should mention her room is a box room so not much room to mistake anything and my son has sleep walked a fair bit but always early in the night and toilet related :) I asked him what he was doing before going into emma to make sure and he said he had been playing in his room for ages which would ring true as he wakes at about half six and he is not allowed go annoy emma too early because she sleeps untill eight. nothing strange has happened since but I still brace myself when I go into her room when its empty in case the "dopleganger" is there :oops:

oreo9 said:
one weekend morning our son five at the time came in to our room and sat on the bed as usual chatting and playing and he said I went into emma (our daughter then two) to see if she wanted to play but she wouldnt answer me she was standing in the corner of her room ignoring me for a few minutes and I went to go out and then the real emma sat up in bed and said hi darragh to me and she got out of bed.

That reminds me of something that happened to me when I was little.

When I was about 5, we moved into a new house my parents had had built. In our old house, my 2 sisters and I shared a room, and my parents were excited to be able to give us each our own room - and really amused when we just rotated whose room we all slept in each night.

I don't have any idea what age I was when this happened, but one morning (we'd been sleeping in my room, and I was in my bed) I woke up and saw my oldest sister standing against my closet doors with her face toward the doors. It was really a weird place to be standing - and standing still. I don't remember very clearly, but I think I said her name, got no response, and then maybe I closed my eyes again, but next thing I knew the same sister was opening my door (she was an early riser, I was not; she might have made something for breakfast and was coming in to see if I wanted some) and she was wearing entirely different pajamas.

I'm pretty sure I was dreaming the first time. I was really prone to nightmares set in the exact space I was sleeping in, and while that wasn't exactly a nightmare, people behaving strangely did creep me out. It could've been some kind of waking dream, too.

Not that I'm saying this is what your son experienced, but who knows?

Im not sure about him being asleep as he was in his sisters room and said he was awake ages but I cant know for sure. he does have a problem with his body over reacting to any illness, he goes from normal to 104 degrees in minutes and if he stays at 102 for any lenght of time he hallucinates a lot,not normally people or anything usually his hands are disapering,turning into skelatons or worse still he has no hands :roll: .first thing I checked when he said that was his temperature but it was fine although he could have had a slight one that went quickly he is an oddity ;) 99 percent sure it was something like that and yet I still take a deep breath when I go into that room

Shortly after the birth of my eldest sister, my parents moved into a brand new house, just built. No previous houses had been on the site. But it was built on an old coal mine, which probably explains the old fashioned miner, complete with Davy lamp, that would appear at the foot of my parents' bed occasionally. No explanation for the weirdness in the back bedroom, which was completely weird.

From that, they moved to tied accommodation. A detached property, built about ten years before, but never lived in (the previous caretaker having had a house a few doors away and refusing to occupy the property attached to his job). Again, this bungalow was built on wasteland. Nothing occupied the space before the school was built, only fields. But it was a singularly unpleasant property, and several quite nasty and inexplicable things occurred there.

new house strangeness

Moved into a house/Maisonette 13 years ago approx in Bristol with girlfriend at the time. Before we moved we had inspected the property and the atmosphere was quite warm and friendly.

After the day we move I was in the lounge removing those pesky ceiling tiles. My girlfriend had walked into the kitchen and placed her bunch of keys down on a table (The lounge and kitchen were on the same floor, two bedrooms and bathroom upstairs). She walked out spoke to me and walked back into the kitchen. She shouted for me.

I was annoyed to stop what I was doing, so shouted what was it? The key to the house had been removed off the bunch of keys and placed in the centre of the table. Of course I asked if she had taken the key off, which she denied.

So that particular episode was freaky but I dismissed it as absentmindedness.

A few days later I was in the bathroom repairing a wooden box, which we put towels in. After finishing the job (badly), I placed the hammer on the shelf above it. Went back down stairs. Girlfriend went up stairs and this time she screamed. I rushed up stairs to find the hammer, lying length ways across the centre of the front bedroom door entrance on the floor, pointing in the direction of the bedroom. Half in the bedroom and half in the hall landing.

I cant remember if I accused the girlfriend of winding me up. We were both freaked out.

Two days later, we were sitting in the lounge and my girlffriend told she had got her mum in to bless the house (she had connections with the COE). I think she thought I would be annoyed but deep down I was relieved.

Nothing happend after that, I lived there for three/four years. Until we split and I moved out.

It turns out that part of the street was rebuilt, because a stray WW2 german bomb wiped out the houses there. It was aiming for Temple Meads.

We have recently moved into a bungalow after spending a good month doing it up. It appears from all the documentation that it was built towards the end of the 70's.

The property has had one owner who we know had died (unknown if in property) and that is the reason it was up for sale. This is all we knew in advance and it isn't really something that has bothered me or my partner and certainly isn't something we would dwell on.

Anyway about 2 weeks ago after I got home from work she asked me if I had felt or seen anything odd to which I said no, other then that poorly fitted bathroom window. She goes on to say that the previous night before I had come to bed (theres about a 2 hour gap usually) she is 100% she woke up / stirred only to see standing near thefoot of the bed what she described as:

"It looked like the shadow of a person but much blacker, the light that was coming through the blinds was hitting it in a way that you could see a definition to it. It was definitly a woman, a woman with what looked like long, scraggy hair to her shoulders. No face but definitly the size / shape of a women."

Since then I've noticed that a few items in the house have vanished and then re-appeared, initially I put it down to absent mindedness even though I'm very particular in putting everything it its place, yesterday convinced me otherwise when the iPod I was synching before work which I put next to my phone "vanished". It turned up in the kitchen.

My parents moved into a new apartment building in 2005. Since then several visitors have felt a touching sensation on their shoulders.

There was an old house right where their apartment is.

My Brother and sister in law moved into a house in the next road to us in about 1972, the house being about 11 years old.
The previous occupants had been there from when it was built and had moved to another town. No one had ever died in the house and the estate had been built on farmland, so no buildings there previously.
One night my brother woke up thinking there was a helicopter hovering above the house but for some reason also had a terrible feeling of dread and couldn't bring himself to get out of bed. Eventually the noise stopped - this happened again a couple of nights afterwards.
Then independently at different times my brother and his wife both witnessed the figure of a man in a bowler hat standing on the landing. They didn't say anything to each other for fear of frightening the other. After a few weeks the figure never appeard again.

dannycheveaux1 said:
Then independently at different times my brother and his wife both witnessed the figure of a man in a bowler hat standing on the landing. They didn't say anything to each other for fear of frightening the other. After a few weeks the figure never appeard again.

That Mr Benn certainly got about.

My daughter recently moved into a 4 year old house and is having quite a lot of spooky disturbances. The last three places they lived in were very old, especially the last one (the sort of place with no straight edges or walls inside and lots of random black beams and features) and didn't really get anything odd happening. She does have some items she got from her father's house after he died last year so maybe it's connected to an object.

marionXXX said:
My daughter recently moved into a 4 year old house and is having quite a lot of spooky disturbances. The last three places they lived in were very old, especially the last one (the sort of place with no straight edges or walls inside and lots of random black beams and features) and didn't really get anything odd happening. She does have some items she got from her father's house after he died last year so maybe it's connected to an object.

Could you tell us more about these strange happenings?

Mythopoeika said:
marionXXX said:

Could you tell us more about these strange happenings?

Hearing noises like people walking/talking upstairs, things disappearing/appearing, vivid OOB dreams, stuff like that.

We moved into a new house just over a month ago and we've had one or two odd experiences. Objects seem to disappear from one place and turn up a couple of days later in a completey random location. One example my elder daughter's phone disappeared from her bedroom and turned up a couple of days later in an box that hadn't yet been unpacked.
The strangest was last week when my wife left a letter for me to post in the kitchen whilst she went out. An hour later I thought I'd better go and post it, I wandered out to the kitchen and lo and behold the stamp had been torn off the envelope, there was no trace of it anywhere. Both my daughters were upstairs during the entire time and swore blind neither of them took the stamp - they are 10 and 13 so don't imagine they had a letter of their own they needed to post.

Im going to place something here that may upset but theres alot of truth behind this report - forgive me if I hurt you. Ive seen the house and felt deep sorrow.

Theres a house on York Street, Nottinghamshire,UK where a figure is seen. Adults never see it but do hear noises. The children in the house talk of a little child who joins them nervously to play. At night this figure comes back and wakes the children ocasionally. Toys go missing to be found in following days elsewhere.

A little girl is described who takes interest in the changes to her original home.
She seems to feel confident around young children but afraid of adults. She talks of mummy.

The known story about this address is that the father committed suicide with pending charges of abuse towards children. His very young daughter was found...

I`m deeply sorry to share this with you but its truth and sometimes that hurts.

How intriguing, there seems to be a number of 'York street's in nottinghamshire, can you say which one it is please? I'd like a peep on google maps at the street x

My own personal experience of oddness in new House is a little bit second hand. Because it wasn't actually MY new house. It was my Girlfriend's (Now Wife).

Back in the early 2000s my Wife moved down from Merseyside to Kenilworth, Warwickshire, my hometown, to be closer to me. We'd been together 5 or 6 years by that point, having met at University.

She sstayed with me and my Parents for a few weeks when she first came down, while house hunting, adamant that she wanted to rent on her own first before we found a place together. I was temping at the time, so realistically couldn't really commit to a place anyway.

After several weeks of searching for decent rental houses (And not finding any) we found an advert in the local paper for a House Share with 2 others on Castle Hill, the long row of olde worldy terraced housing on the road which slopes down to where Keniworth Castle stands. A great location. Two pubs nearby, a tea rooms, and Chinese takeaway and three more pubs up the hill.

In those post-student pre-career days those were the things which mattered.

The house itself turned out to actually have been TWO houses which had been knocked through into one, in the middle of the terrace, and owned by a crazy little Austrian lady, who lived a fair distance away. They were linked by a downstairs door in the living room of the first house. It was actually a really good conversion.

My wife met the two other Housemates we'll call her 'J' (An occupational therapist at Warwick Hospital) and him 'M' a pilot for the local Air Ambulance. They were nice people and the room available was effectively the whole top floor of one of the original houses for a ver reasonable rent. So my Wife took it. :)

As it turned out the crazy Austrian lady was a real pain of a Landlady. A lot of the fittings in the house had a tendancy to break, and rather than get somebody else to fix them she would always come over and try to fix it herself. Badly. Often with her dog. And her incontinent mother. At all times of day and night. It was a nightmare...

But that's me digressing...

As I say, the houses here were old. Oak beam ceilings, white thick plaster walls. It got cold a lot, and this was winter/spring. But despite all that it wasn't really creepy. More... homely.

Given that there were two other tennants, my wife, and frequently ME in the house, there was quite a bit of coming and going... going on. :) It wasn't uncommon to find another person in a room you didn't expect them to be. J in particular was very quite, and liked sitting in the living or dining room quietly reading. And of course access to all of the individually rented rooms was only possible through climbing the stairs at the back of the second house. The front door was in the first house. So in order to get there you had to walk through the living room, through the partition door into the second house dining room (Which had only a small partition from the kitchen too) and on towards the stairs. If you were sitting or standing in any of those rooms you'd see the person coming through, and they or you would say 'Hello'.

It was not uncommon.

What was uncommon was when we started saying 'Hello,' only to find that there wasn't actually anybody there. We could swear we'd seen or heard somebody, but on closer inspection found nobody there.

Downstairs was not well lit. The artificial lighting was very dim, and so both my wife and I passed off two or three occasiions where we had thought we'd seen somebody walk through, while we were preparing food in the kitchen, as a trick of the light on a dark winter's night...

That was until J mentioned that she'd seen something too. Prefixing her introduction one Saturday afternoon with 'Before I say this, I know this is going to sound crazy...' she explained to us that the previous evening she had been sure that somebody had walked behind her whilst she was reading in dining room. But when she glanced up nobody was there. In fact nobody else was home, at all. She'd thought it was my wife and said 'Hello'. She was a cheery woman, and not prone to believing in such silly things, but it had been nagging at her all day.

We both told her that actually we'd felt/experienced similar. We all freaked each other out a little, and decided to talk about something else. :)

As it happened, a few days later my Wife and J started discussing this again when M came home. He worked a lot of long hours at that point, and added that funnily enough he too had experienced similar. One early morning he'd come home, and while putting his bag down, out of the corner of his eye, he had thought he'd seen a figure standing in the doorway between the two houses. Just for a second, though. When he looked up there was nobody there. But it had freaked him out something silly. :)

From that point onwards of course, all 3 were actively looking to see something every time they were downstairs. :) They even took to addressing 'The Ghost' as they were caling it by then, every time they entered the house or came down the stairs...

My Wife didn't stay in the house much longer. Not through fear of some kind of haunting, mind. Because the Landlady began to become a more increasing nuisance. She didn't renew when her six months were up.

A couple of years after leaving, when my wife and I had actually moved into a house together in the next town, we actually learned that Castle Hill and High Street (Which the road becomes further up the rise) are reputedly in the line of a 'Monk's Walk' pathway, leading down to the Castle, which pre-dated all of the old building along the row. We are apparently far from the only people to have reported seeing *something* walking through their ground floor rooms across the years. We had no idea of this particular legend at the time, and just thought it was weird stuff happening in HER house. But it seems it might be a further spread phenomenon.

Not very spooky, but made me do a double take! We moved into our 1866 detached house in December 2010. I have not had the slightest sensation of there being any 'presence'.

We have no neighbours in the empty house on one side and my other neighbours are all out during the day. I came in from shopping via the front door, and there was no one on the pavement behind me. The back of the house is farmland.

As I came into the hall, | heard two women talking calmly, their voices were muffled and I could not make out what they were saying. I thought I had left the radio on in the kitchen and walked down the hall, towards the voices and the kitchen door. When I got into the kitchen and put the shopping down on the table, the voices had stopped. I went over to the radio, to turn it up, and found it was switched off at the wall.

It is of interest that I have been told the house was used as a Victorian refuge for 'fallen' local girls who were put to work in the nearby Estate's wash house.

My wife and I moved into our current house 10 years ago.
The first night we were here we heard a very loud bell - almost like a church bell in our living room. Only one "bong" but very loud.

We both looked around for anything which could have been the cause but found nothing. We have never heard it since.

I'm loving these stories. Got a not very scary one of my own.

A few years ago I got a job in Lincoln, and I rented a brand new flat, built next to the River Witham. We were the first tenants. As it was unfurnished, I initially stayed by myself, with the very basic of furniture, ie the bedroom only had an inflatable mattress, and a suitcase. For a couple of nights, I could have sworn I saw the shawdowy figure of man standing in the doorway of the bedroom, watching over me. It wasn't scary in the slightest - more comforting, if anything. Yes, I probably did dream it, but oddly, my boyfriend also saw it, when he was staying there by himself. He only told me, after I had mentioned it. Never saw it again after we got the furniture moved in.

As an addition, whilst the flats were being built, a body of a man was found under the bridge, crossing the Witham, just outside our flat. I was told this by my work colleagues, but it probably true, as there was some dead flowers tied to the bridge, when we moved in, and new ones placed there every year, presumably at the anniversary.

So, a non-malevolent (But independently experienced) figure in the doorway, Daftbugger1? I would say 'scary'. But you don't seem to find it to be so. :)

Gyruss said:
My wife and I moved into our current house 10 years ago.
The first night we were here we heard a very loud bell - almost like a church bell in our living room. Only one "bong" but very loud.

We both looked around for anything which could have been the cause but found nothing. We have never heard it since.

That's a great little story.......... Fortean in every way!

CuriousIdent said:
So, a non-malevolent (But independently experienced) figure in the doorway, Daftbugger1? I would say 'scary'. But you don't seem to find it to be so. :)

I know seeing a strange person in your flat should be scary, but it didn't seem that way!

Daftbugger1 said:
CuriousIdent said:

I know seeing a strange person in your flat should be scary, but it didn't seem that way!

Maybe it was just a "How do you do, nice to meet you!" apparition.

Stranger things have happened... :lol:

Back