• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Next Fortean subject to be made into film?

Electric_Monk

Abominable Snowman
I'm not sure if such a thread has been done before (had a quick look, but I'm terrible at searching), but what do you think the next Fortean topic will be transformed into the world of film? I decided to post it after my last post to the White Noise/EVP thread ;)

The only ones I can think of right now:
Faeries (bad/"real" sort)
Those death worms I can't remember the name of

I'm sure the rest of you have a better memory than me, and more suggestions ;)

Colin said:
The only ones I can think of right now:
Faeries (bad/"real" sort)
Those death worms I can't remember the name of

I'm sure the rest of you have a better memory than me, and more suggestions ;)

They're mongolian death worms. The Cottingley Fairies were done in a film about six years ago, and there was another film about real fairies around the same time.

How about Spontaneous Human Combustion?

I suppose in some ways most things have been done in one form or another.

We could argue that MDW-like creatures have been doen in Tremors.

I suppose the question should be: which Fortean phenomena will the mass entertainment industry latch onto next and do to death? ;)

Well we know that they're about to do the Holy Blood, Holy Grail thing and the Knights Templar to death, indeed they've already started on the Knights Templar in 'National Treasure.'

How about 'Orbs - The Movie'.

I hope it's my old favourite from FT - the Two-Headed Turtle! There seemed to be a new one every month at one point.

Just imagine it, New York being ravaged by these little buggers, hiding in the sewers and coming up yer toilet to bite yer bum. Twice!

:twisted: :laughing:

Coming to a multiplex near you......

.....it's the major motion picture event of the summer.....

....It is.....

....Geoff The Talking Mongoose: A True Story.

Featuring the vocal talents of Brad Pitt as Geoff.

I think a story that tries to look into the possibilities of Men In Black exisiting could be very interesting. I was greatly dissapointed when Men In Black came out and it was a comedy as these guys had been creeping me out since I was 12.

I'm not even saying a movie about UFOs really, or even having confirmed Men In Black. Maybe something about someone seeing something like a UFo, but then having a terrifying encounter with a couple Men In Black - when the person tries to find out who the men were he finds out no such group exists . . . then it could be is he just nuts, or is there something else going on that they don't want us to know about . . .

I don't know, could be a little X-Files. I was always dissapointed that Men In Black seems to be the only thing X-Files never really tried. Sure, they had classic Men In Black looking agents when you got too close to Area 51 or wherever it was, but nothing like the dissapearing penny story . . .

I'm rambling now . . .

-Fitz

The Men In Black featured in The X-Files episode Jose Chung's, From Outer Space and were played by Jessie Venture and Alex Trebeck. They didn't appear for long though but it was very amusing.

phantom airship scares
springheel jack
abc's

How about a mystery booms film? You could have your star, Matt Damon say, going about his business when suddenly "BOOOUM!" he is distracted and feels compelled to hunt down the source of the noise. What a tremendous story it would make.

I'd like to see a 'real' take on someone who is telekinetic. Something along the lines of Carrie as opposed to the X-Men. It wouldn't be quite as severe as Carrie.. just someone who can use it as and when, with a degree of the fantastic, but only as much as it would be like me using my powers to haul a kid from in front of a speeding truck. That kind of thing.

No, what we need is a big budget bollywood...a SF version of the Ramayana...

(Mind you, if its Bollywood, no one will ever hear of it...)

I agree with Melf. Anything with airships in would be cool.

I like airships......

Jolly Jack said:
I like airships......

I think there's a few airship fans on the boards, me included ;) Of course, my dream is to explore the world/investigate paranormal phenomena from one...

Like Robur the Conqueror. Sign me up for that! Ah, to be a Pirate of the Air.... :yeay:

Anyway, back on topic, how about a proper Bigfoot movie? Not like that steaming pile "Harry and the Hendersons", but a proper exploration of the subject.

Mind you, didn't they just prove that that's what the original footage (Paterson/Gillman film?) was anyway?

I know it has featured in Suth Park but something looking into what evil bastards most stage mediums are?

Jolly Jack said:
Like Robur the Conqueror. Sign me up for that! Ah, to be a Pirate of the Air.... :yeay:

Anyway, back on topic, how about a proper Bigfoot movie? Not like that steaming pile "Harry and the Hendersons", but a proper exploration of the subject.

Mind you, didn't they just prove that that's what the original footage (Paterson/Gillman film?) was anyway?

There's The Legend of Boggy Creek, will that do?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068837/combined

It was pretty scary when I was a kid, but isn't exactly scientific.

Emperor said:
I suppose in some ways most things have been done in one form or another.

We could argue that MDW-like creatures have been doen in Tremors.

I suppose the question should be: which Fortean phenomena will the mass entertainment industry latch onto next and do to death? ;)

Telling it like it is... :(

Umm... what about a bio-pic of his Hoyness himself, with the main events he was interested in depicted in a series of cut-away scenes (because no-one will make a film these days if it doesn't include CGI of some sort) or is that too simplistic an idea?

Ooh, Swan, I like that idea...perhaps it's something I could work on myself, I think I've mentioned a few times before my interest in film and general fascination with video cameras :)

Swan said:
Umm... what about a bio-pic of his Hoyness himself, with the main events he was interested in depicted in a series of cut-away scenes (because no-one will make a film these days if it doesn't include CGI of some sort) or is that too simplistic an idea?

Mmm Hugh Jackman as a gadget wielding Fort kick-assing his way through assorted mysteries aided by his glamorous leather clad assistant...er I'll get me coat.

Back