• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nijinsky's Slow Vaulting

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mentioned in passing in the current FT's Fortean Library section, apparently the ballet dancer Nijinsky could "slow vault", which means he could leap gracefully in the air and descend to earth slower than he went up the way. A web search reveals no mention of this anywhere, couldn't get a proper hit. I'm no expert in ballet, so does anyone else know if it is possible? Have any other ballet dancers achieved it?

Mentioned in passing in the current FT's Fortean Library section, apparently the ballet dancer Nijinsky could "slow vault", which means he could leap gracefully in the air and descend to earth slower than he went up the way. A web search reveals no mention of this anywhere, couldn't get a proper hit. I'm no expert in ballet, so does anyone else know if it is possible? Have any other ballet dancers achieved it?
Wayne Sleep?

I've done this thousands of times - and I can hover a bit too if I really concentrate. Once I've figured out how to do it when I'm awake I'll be laughing.

Flippancy aside, I found reading your post quite thrilling as your description perfectly captures (for me) that feeling of suddenly remembering how to fly in dreams.

I suspect Nijinsky's secret may have been to cleverly make it look as though he was returning to Earth slowly. Or some sort of gentle mass hypnosis of the audience, perhaps induced by the music.

I've done this thousands of times - and I can hover a bit too if I really concentrate. Once I've figured out how to do it when I'm awake I'll be laughing.
I can do it if I've eaten enough beans. Full of beans, me!

Nijinsky could "slow vault", which means he could leap gracefully in the air and descend to earth slower than he went up the way
Sadly, this cannot happen. Suppose he was considered to be leaping in a convex parabola, and was represented by a single spot of light.

He (or the light) would decelerate at 9.81 metres / (second^2)) until it reached the apogee of of the parabola and slowed to a notional stop, then accelerate again as a function of the gravitational constant.

However, importantly, Nijinsky was not a homogeneous spot of light. Conceivably, as he descended, it is possibly that rather than lengthening his legs, and bracing for impact, I imagine that he might have been able to bend his leg-joints, and therefore foreshorten his legs overall.

This would mean that there would be a fractional increase in the time taken for his feet to hit the floor, thus adding to the impression that he was gliding down.

On a similar basis, we're maybe imagining him as a 2-dimensional jumping mannikin. This is unrealistic, because again leg-length (and hence foot-in-flight time) can be shorted by bending the legs outwards during a downwards movements, again the precise reverse of what would be the biomechanical instinct. His musculature, and learnt autocontrol, could have become attuned to conveying this illusory effect.

To some extent, I'm attempting to disassemble graceful ballet via prose-based physics, but hopefully I'm explaining what I mean sufficiently-clearly.

Last edited:
Conceivably, as he decended, it is possibly that rather than lengthening his legs, and bracing for impact, I imagine that he might have been able to bend his leg-joints, and therefore foreshorten his legs overall.

This would mean that there would be a fractional increase in the time taken for his feet to hit the floor, thus adding to the impression that he was gliding down.

I think you're onto something there - that's the kind of thing I was getting at but couldn't be bothered to think through :)

Obviously he was able to carry this off with far greater elegance than Wile E. Coyote.

02v-coyote-falling-1-gif.gif

It might be about changing his centre of gravity. From what my physics textbook at uni said, that is what basketball players do when jumping. They move their arms and legs so that while their centre of gravity follows a parabolic path, the body itself goes a bit more straight.

Here's an explanation with some graphics: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z8cbcdm

Great find! I think we have an watertight explanation. Looking at the ballerina sequence there's a definite sense of almost-but-not-quite hanging in the air.

Sure, goes without saying.

Is Prof. Adrian Lees Noel Gallagher's long-lost slightly older brother?

It might be about changing his centre of gravity. From what my physics textbook at uni said, that is what basketball players do when jumping. They move their arms and legs so that while their centre of gravity follows a parabolic path, the body itself goes a bit more straight.

Here's an explanation with some graphics: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z8cbcdm

Yes, there you go, thanks! They just didn't call it "slow vaulting" - I suppose floating is a plainer way of putting it. Not quite as poetic, though.

Are we really discussing whether people can float in the air?

There are ways.

You're just jealous.

The secret of human floating is known only by a select few. Those who are members of an ancient esoteric order based in the Himalayas, and those who have bought the book Human Floating For Dummies.

Last edited:

There's a letter in the latest FT about a bloke who could float downstairs, even when he was an adult.

Yes, it appears so, and more-importantly, welcome back from the land of ice & fire (am glad you weren't eaten by dragons).
The secret of human floating is known only by a select few
Ascended masters, if you're meaning the Yogic Fliers.

They did require springy mattresses, low camera angles and lots of editing, but they certainly convinced me that they were fun to watch. Am I false-memorying up something, here, or was there a political party (of sorts) created by the Yogic Fliers? A sort of cult cross between Hari Krishna and Lord Sutch, or UKIP mixed with the Maharishi...

EDIT
Bingo....Natural Law Party https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law_Party
http://www.natural-law.org

Folks have been confined to their homes in the near ice age conditions we've been enduring for several days & are getting cabin fever. Wouldn't surprise me if someone goes on a shooting spree soon.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone goes on a shooting spree soon.
True, cameras could be wielded at any point, following this cabin fever.

I've never been stuck indoors for any longer than 4hrs during the current panapocalyptic hypothermal shut-in.

Back