• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nine Ladies Stone Circle

The forum smilies have ASCII codes as well as names. The one embedded in your quoted text is coded for 'colon-p' (the old ASCII smiley for sticking out one's tongue; no intervening space). The occurrence of that code text string in the quoted text triggered its replacement with the associated graphic.

So Robots are indeed taking over the world and we are all going to die?

So Robots are indeed taking over the world and we are all going to die?

Not exactly ... We are becoming the robots by shirking off the world and swaddling ourselves in social media-crity. The inevitability and unanimity of our deaths are a given; it just seems an increasing proportion of people insist it be a collective kumbaya event.

So be it ... The Nine Ladies and all the other forebears' stones will abide ...

Magical indeed.

We once spent a fortnight in Cornwall doing a fairly exhaustive tour of the stone circles. Which is why I can't remember the name of the circle that shat me up. I have just Googled and Goggle mapped but can't find a simple map of all the circles - I think I'd know its name if I saw it. But it was within a field's distance of the sea. (On which side I can't remember - this was 15 years ago!) Anyone know which circle that might be? You could literally see the sea from it (or would have if no fog). And could only be reached by narrow, slightly sunken lanes IIRC. I'd love to know which one it was...

Last edited:
There's a clickable map here, if that's any help...

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/index.htm
Thanks, David. That's a really useful site. But I can't see anything that fits the bill. It was literally within sight of the sea and none of those look so close, although IIRC it looked the most like Boskednan, I think there were more stones...

It'll come back to me! Anyway, it was an obscurer one and fairly hard to find. Compounded by the heavy fog that day. As we arrived, the fog lifted... just above and around the stones. We stayed there about 15 minutes. Then fog descended like someone dropping a veil. Husband said "I think they want us to leave." (Not usual for him to say stuff like that). And we left. It didn't feel hostile, in the sense that the fog lifted as we pulled up. No-one else was there. No-one else arrived whilst we were there. But it was very much a feeling of 'OK, you've seen what you came to see. Now leave!" at the end.

The circle I get to most now is Castlerigg, up near Keswick. And I always find that feels 'welcoming' but it has so many tourists it is hard to be alone there (Maybe I should go this winter). Went with a pagan friend and she said she couldn't feel anything there, whatsoever - because of the people being around. I have heard of other people going there and getting that 'hostile' feeling though.

Thanks, David. That's a really useful site. But I can't see anything that fits the bill. It was literally within sight of the sea and none of those look so close, although IIRC it looked the most like Boskednan, I think there were more stones...

It'll come back to me! Anyway, it was an obscurer one and fairly hard to find. Compounded by the heavy fog that day. As we arrived, the fog lifted... just above and around the stones. We stayed there about 15 minutes. Then fog descended like someone dropping a veil. Husband said "I think they want us to leave." (Not usual for him to say stuff like that). And we left. It didn't feel hostile, in the sense that the fog lifted as we pulled up. No-one else was there. No-one else arrived whilst we were there. But it was very much a feeling of 'OK, you've seen what you came to see. Now leave!" at the end.

The circle I get to most now is Castlerigg, up near Keswick. And I always find that feels 'welcoming' but it has so many tourists it is hard to be alone there (Maybe I should go this winter). Went with a pagan friend and she said she couldn't feel anything there, whatsoever - because of the people being around. I have heard of other people going there and getting that 'hostile' feeling though.

The Merry Harvesters? A new "ancient" stone circle

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...epage&q=merry harvesters stone circle&f=false

15550186076_772e14c0ca_b.jpg

Nope! Neither of them. The circle was an old one, bigger than that - bigger stones and more of them - looked a lot like Boskednan in terms of the landscape, and about a field's length from the sea - very scrubby, rough land all around but it was close to the road, within a 100 metres of it IIRC. (Not one of those you only get to after an hour's steady walking). We did 'do' Zennor, though. I wish I'd kept a diary!

There are barrows not very far from me, but annoyingly they were flattened for an airfield in WW2 and just little lumps in the ground, now, apparently. Incredibly, I've never gone there (village is bisected by an A road, and the barrows are in the half that is stranded). Now I want to get up there and poke about. Have walked my dog in Skipwith many an evening and the thing that would concern me here, more than barrow wights, would be seeing a WW2 airman walk towards us, through the trees... There are a lot of abandoned Nissan huts etc, dotted around the Common - and it's incredibly atmospheric and creepy at night, but if anything haunts it, somehow don't feel it's Bronze or Iron Age!

When we go to Cumbria we always stay at the camp site just up the road from Castlerigg so I've been there a few times. I always feel a little sad when I go there, coachloads of tourists unload, climb on the stones, take selfies and then climb back on the bus.

When we go to Cumbria we always stay at the camp site just up the road from Castlerigg so I've been there a few times. I always feel a little sad when I go there, coachloads of tourists unload, climb on the stones, take selfies and then climb back on the bus.
Yes, I was surprised how many people you see up there, to say it's Cumbria... I'm guessing evenings or early morning might be the best time to get it to yourself? Am definitely going to try and time a visit there when we think no-one will be there. Have managed it but only once or twice. Off up to see son in Cumbria at the weekend but won't get a chance to get to Castlerigg this time, as he wants us to take him on a day trip to Northumbria.

There are barrows not very far from me, but annoyingly they were flattened for an airfield in WW2 and just little lumps in the ground, now, apparently.
I've always had a thing for barrows. The Barrow-downs was one of my favourite parts of The Lord of the Rings. I found it so chilling and atmospheric, such a shame it wasn't in the films! I remember my uncle telling me a story when I was a child that one of the barrows in Sheffield was in fact a Viking ship, buried with it's warrior captain. I remember thinking it was so magical.

Going back to the original post, I didn't feel much at Nine Ladies, although it's in such a great location, surrounded by the trees and the whole surrounding area of Birchover is quite special. I went camping there with school and we sat on the rocks and watched the sun go down, looking back it's honestly one of my favourite days. There's a great barrow in Derbyshire at Gib Hill, near another of Derbyshire's stone circles, Arbor Low, very atmospheric. Ahh, I miss home! I'll have to drive up this weekend.

Nope! Neither of them. The circle was an old one, bigger than that - bigger stones and more of them - looked a lot like Boskednan in terms of the landscape, and about a field's length from the sea - very scrubby, rough land all around but it was close to the road, within a 100 metres of it IIRC. (Not one of those you only get to after an hour's steady walking). We did 'do' Zennor, though. I wish I'd kept a diary!
I cant think what it could be. You sure it was Cornwell?

Nope! Neither of them. The circle was an old one, bigger than that - bigger stones and more of them - looked a lot like Boskednan in terms of the landscape, and about a field's length from the sea - very scrubby, rough land all around but it was close to the road, within a 100 metres of it IIRC.

The Merry Maidens?

Merry_Maidens_03.jpg

The new God watches over the old...

Merry_Maidens_04.jpg

Apologies for the ugly lump in the middle.

Merry_Maidens_01.jpg

maximus otter

If you are interested in stone circles, I'd highly recommend this documentary called Standing With Stones. It used to be available on youtube, but no longer. However, you can rent or download it here:
http://www.standingstones.net/
One of best docs I've seen and well worth a watch, IMO.
I have seen this series now. It's a good project. I got a bit frustrated by the narrator's rapid movement between the sites, but as a view it was brilliant. He gets right up close. Favourite places were from the Scotch border northwards. This is one tour I'd relish. Definitely purchasing Bolt and Soskin's book. http://www.standingstones.net/the-book/

I cant think what it could be. You sure it was Cornwell?
Oops, missed this post. Yes, certain it was Cornwall. That was years ago but the last full two week holiday we had and all we were doing was travelling round looking at stone circles! I'm still trying to figure out where it was.

Back