• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

No Anus? No Problem!

MrRING

Android Futureman
I found out something today that I had never heard before: you can actually live without an anus! Maggie, a brave and quite humorous woman who had much of her colon removed and had a colonostomy bag installed, tells her story on YouTube. For her, a young sufferer with Crohn's Disease, her anus was exceptionally messed up and constantly painful through the disease... so it was removed entirely and the exit was sewn up. I knew of colonostomys but I had no idea you could live without an anus.

One of my friends had this done a few years ago (though he had an ileostomy which interrupts the bowel further up), also for Crohns. He says he doesn’t really miss it but occasionally sits down on the toilet for a piss for old times’ sake. Having seen what he has had to put up with over the years I admire his attitude of just cracking on with life and not taking things too seriously.

I found out something today that I had never heard before: you can actually live without an anus! Maggie, a brave and quite humorous woman who had much of her colon removed and had a colonostomy bag installed, tells her story on YouTube. For her, a young sufferer with Crohn's Disease, her anus was exceptionally messed up and constantly painful through the disease... so it was removed entirely and the exit was sewn up. I knew of colonostomys but I had no idea you could live without an anus.

@Swifty knows all about this. :nods:

Colonostomies're awesome. Well, compared to suffering Crohn's etc they are.

Would help people get used to them when I was in that line of work. There are various systems available so folk can find one that works best for them.

Have often told poor miserable patients who were dithering over whether to have one 'Go for it, I bloody would!'

Maggie is doing a sterling job. :cool:

Last edited:
I've got an online friend who's had a colostomy due to Gardner syndrome, but is so down to earth about it, and so brave. We do make a lot of jokes about her not having an a$$hole, and she takes it all with good humour; of course, if it upset her, we wouldn't do it, but it doesn't.

She's 21 :(

Back