• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
'Round our way ...
Saturday & Sunday: "Right, it's a bank holiday and there's a local food festival - the place is heaving!" Lovely sunshine!
Monday: "Sure, it's a bank holiday but it's still Monday and tomorrow you've got work! Few visitors remain." Damp, chill breeze.
Tuesday: "Right - all the 'fair weather visitors buggered off? Good." Lovely sunny and warm.

April is here and it's STILL bloody raining! Long-range forecast apparently suggests much rain until at least JUNE. Cue an increase in visits to GPs for depression...

Oh to be somewhere warm, like southern Spain or Italy, or maybe the Canary Islands, or the Caribbean. In fact anywhere sunnier and warmer all year round than dreary, rainy, windy, grey Essex.
You could be describing where I live in East Sussex. It's cold out and tipping down with rain as I type.

O to be in England..... yeah, right.

April is here and it's STILL bloody raining! Long-range forecast apparently suggests much rain until at least JUNE. Cue an increase in visits to GPs for depression...
1712138758891.png

Soggy towns always moan when they dry out.
Dry towns can't stand the rain.
It's a matter of perspective.
An Irish mate of mine, in his cups, would point out "All talk about the green feckin' grass of Ireland ... without mentioning that it's only green 'cause of the feckin' rainfall!"
Puts it into perspective, eh?

Soggy towns always moan when they dry out.
Dry towns can't stand the rain.
It's a matter of perspective.
An Irish mate of mine, in his cups, would point out "All talk about the green feckin' grass of Ireland ... without mentioning that it's only green 'cause of the feckin' rainfall!"
Puts it into perspective, eh?

l lived on Skye for two years. I chatted on another forum with a chap who’d been a teacher there. One year, his class did a project on weather; that year it was the 25th of April before they had a day without rain.

maximus otter

I've always thought that I'd like to live in one of these countries/places were it rains/thunders every day, but just for ten minutes at 2pm and then the sun comes back out.

At least you can avoid it then, still have plenty of greenery around, but not end up with everything rotting and covered in moss.

Oh to be in England, now that England's here, I stand upright in my wheelbarrow, and pretend I'm Bodiciea (hi ho !!)
There's someone on here who used to have Viv Stanshall for his boss. And speaking of Viv Stanshall fans, I listened to Adrian Edmondson's autobiography recently, and the sole comic relief he and his sister used to get at home was the same Flanders and Swan record my grandad had (as an aside, it's creepy how similar our Bradford Methodist upbringings were). Turns out I still remember much of it verbatim. Anyway, ahem:
"April brings the sweet spring showers,
On and on for hours and hours."

Last edited:
I was once walking in Hanley and a guy was coming the opposite way. We did that thing where you both move to the same side as each other a few times. What usually happens at this point (and a universally understood un-written rule) is that you both laugh and say something like "are we dancing?" and then eventually get past each other and carry on. Being Hanley, this guy just glared at me like he wanted to kill me.
Were yer up'Angley, Duck?

l lived on Skye for two years. I chatted on another forum with a chap who’d been a teacher there. One year, his class did a project on weather; that year it was the 25th of April before they had a day without rain.

maximus otter
Without Rain ~ or wind!

There's someone on here who used to have Viv Stanshall for his boss. And speaking of Viv Stanshall fans, I listened to Adrian Edmondson's autobiography recently, and the sole comic relief he and his sister used to get at home was the same Flanders and Swan record my grandad had (as an aside, it's creepy how similar our Bradford Methodist upbringings were). Turns out I still remember much of it verbatim. Anyway, ahem:
"April brings the sweet spring showers,
On and on for hours and hours."
(Further aside) Ah yes you can'd beat a Bradford Methodist upbringing - beat being the operative word, which somehow I avoided.

maximus otter
I visited Dunvegan Castle on Skye 20 years ago - there was moss hanging down from the tree branches.

March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers… as the old rhyme goes.
Storm Erich von Stroheim and Storm Enid Rowbottham signal climate disaster and the end of humanity.

How things change, eh?

I always wanted to live in a place where it only rained at night.
Mainly because I lived across from a place where they'd always be having noisy parties outdoors until the early hours of the morning.
I lived just outside Frankfurt am Main for a while, and in the summer months there seemed to be a thunderstorm for about an hour every night. Maybe the local USAF base was up to something.

March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers… as the old rhyme goes.
Storm Erich von Stroheim and Storm Enid Rowbottham signal climate disaster and the end of humanity.

How things change, eh?
March blows and April showers, June blazes and July sizzles... I can't remember the rest.

August 'something' and September does something or the other. October does this or that and November does something else entirely.

Storm at severn, gone by eleven and so on. Red skies at night, shepherds delight, red skies in the morning, shepherds warning, etc.

Yeah, how things have changed from when I was a kid.

Last edited:
March blows and April showers, June blazes and July sizzles... I can't remember the rest.

August 'something' and September does something or the other. October does this or that and November does something else entirely.

Storm at severn, gone by eleven and so on. Red skies at night, shepherds delight, red skies in the morning, shepherds warning, etc.

Yeah, how things have changed from when I was a kid.
I've noticed that when there are 'whispy' type clouds in the late evening sky, the next day's weather is usually pleasant.

I've noticed that when there are 'whispy' type clouds in the late evening sky, the next day's weather is usually pleasant.
Without mentioning the name of the town, what do you make of this strange capture old chap?. It was taken over my home town by a mate a few days ago, she's truthfully called it 'Right time, Right place'. I've never seen a contrail cast a shadow on the sky above, the sun in frame must have done this digitally? .. I haven't asked her yet if this is how she witnessed it with her own eyes.

Put this in you pipes and smoke them.

acromerskyweird.jpg

Without mentioning the name of the town, what do you make of this strange capture old chap?. It was taken over my home town by a mate a few days ago, she's truthfully called it 'Right time, Right place'. I've never seen a contrail cast a shadow on the sky above, the sun in frame must have done this digitally? .. I haven't asked her yet if this is how she witnessed it with her own eyes.

View attachment 75679
I don't think I've ever noticed a shadow from a contrail either.

View attachment 75679
Simple explanation: An aircraft flew across the sky lower than the cloud layer (high cirrus layer) above it!
The twisty bit in the contrail is caused by air disturbance after it left the contrail behind it.

View attachment 75679
Notice the contrail on the right also has a slight shadow at the upper end.

Back