• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh Dear, What Can The Matter Be?

Clear Light

Junior Acolyte
In 1978 I began working for Greens Cameras and Hi-Fi (a now defunct retail outlet) at their branch in Feltham, Middlesex. It was a small shop, built in 1966, although there were a couple of unused storeys above the shop floor that had once been a sub-aqua showroom. There were only a couple of other staff at the store, another sales assistant and the branch manager, and soon after I started work there they began to tell me that the shop was haunted - I took the stories with a pinch of salt as I thought they were just playing "wind up the new bloke". More often than not it was just two of us working in the store at any time, it was rarely busy (I remember on one occasion we cashed up and the entire takings for the day came to 38p - the only item we had sold was a battery).

Anyhow, I digress. One afternoon my colleague and I were chatting behind the shop counter when a loud crash came from behind a partition that separated the shop floor from the manager's office. We both went to investigate to find that, somehow, a heavy door that had been wedged between the partition and a work bench was now laying on the floor, seemingly having levitated there. My work mate was visibly freaked out, previously he had claimed that "something" had passed by him when he was walking down the stairs from one of the upper levels where we had our stock room. Shortly after the door incident he handed in his notice. The burglar alarm would often go off in the middle of the night and, as I lived close to the shop and had the keys it was me who had to go and reset them after getting a call from the police - there was never any evidence of attempted break ins and the alarm company could find no fault or reason for it.

One morning I was passing by the shop on my day off and popped in to say hello to the manager. I found her on the phone talking to the police, but as soon as she saw me she told them it was OK and put the phone down. She was visibly upset as she told me that someone had locked themselves in the toilet on the mezzanine level, when she had opened the shop that morning she had gone to use the facilities but couldn't get in to the loo, which could only be secured by a draw-bolt on the inside of the door, the window was sealed and there were heavy bars on the outside. Anyhow, we went upstairs and I banged on the door, shouting that whoever was inside should come out or I would kick the door in. After a few minutes of doing this with no response, I was left with no option but to carry out my threat. Luckily I was wearing steel toe-cap Dr Marten boots and, after a few hefty kicks, the bolt gave way, to reveal an empty room! There was no way it could have been locked from the outside, nor could anyone have locked it from the inside and left the room. The bolt was still in the closed position, my kicks had just dislodged the screws of the bit it fed into to secure the door. If only Jonathan Creek was around in those days...

It's a Chinese Restaurant now, I often wonder if they are feeding hungry ghosts...

In 1978 I began working for Greens Cameras and Hi-Fi (a now defunct retail outlet) at their branch in Feltham, Middlesex. It was a small shop, built in 1966, although there were a couple of unused storeys above the shop floor that had once been a sub-aqua showroom. There were only a couple of other staff at the store, another sales assistant and the branch manager, and soon after I started work there they began to tell me that the shop was haunted - I took the stories with a pinch of salt as I thought they were just playing "wind up the new bloke". More often than not it was just two of us working in the store at any time, it was rarely busy (I remember on one occasion we cashed up and the entire takings for the day came to 38p - the only item we had sold was a battery).

Anyhow, I digress. One afternoon my colleague and I were chatting behind the shop counter when a loud crash came from behind a partition that separated the shop floor from the manager's office. We both went to investigate to find that, somehow, a heavy door that had been wedged between the partition and a work bench was now laying on the floor, seemingly having levitated there. My work mate was visibly freaked out, previously he had claimed that "something" had passed by him when he was walking down the stairs from one of the upper levels where we had our stock room. Shortly after the door incident he handed in his notice. The burglar alarm would often go off in the middle of the night and, as I lived close to the shop and had the keys it was me who had to go and reset them after getting a call from the police - there was never any evidence of attempted break ins and the alarm company could find no fault or reason for it.

One morning I was passing by the shop on my day off and popped in to say hello to the manager. I found her on the phone talking to the police, but as soon as she saw me she told them it was OK and put the phone down. She was visibly upset as she told me that someone had locked themselves in the toilet on the mezzanine level, when she had opened the shop that morning she had gone to use the facilities but couldn't get in to the loo, which could only be secured by a draw-bolt on the inside of the door, the window was sealed and there were heavy bars on the outside. Anyhow, we went upstairs and I banged on the door, shouting that whoever was inside should come out or I would kick the door in. After a few minutes of doing this with no response, I was left with no option but to carry out my threat. Luckily I was wearing steel toe-cap Dr Marten boots and, after a few hefty kicks, the bolt gave way, to reveal an empty room! There was no way it could have been locked from the outside, nor could anyone have locked it from the inside and left the room. The bolt was still in the closed position, my kicks had just dislodged the screws of the bit it fed into to secure the door. If only Jonathan Creek was around in those days...

It's a Chinese Restaurant now, I often wonder if they are feeding hungry ghosts...

It would be interesting to pop in a few times get familiar with the folk and find out.

I'm fairly sure they would do something non-meat?
Yeah, there's plenty of veggie stuff on the menu in a Chinese restaurant. You're missing out, Clear Light!

Not at all: You could just sit by a window and photosynthesise. As long as your date remembers to turn you when you start to lean towards the light.

maximus otter

I've gone vegan a few times and you do feel much better, you shit a lot nicer, very little indigestion too. it has it's place in a weekly diet - I just love chicken more than anything. I could give up read meat.

I don't eat in restaurants, not even vegan ones. Humans are gross things with gross habits - I don't want them near my food!

Yeah but it's nice to have sex with people. Give people the odd hug, (not that I do that these days as I'm old and grumpy).

If the bolt were a VERY loose fit, it is just about possible that ambient vibration (nearby road or rail traffic, vibrating washing machine or tumble dryer, people walking up and down stairs etc.) could rattle it into position sufficiently to make it appear as if someone had locked it from the inside. An old flat we lived in years ago had an ill-fitting bathroom door that would rattle in any draft and a very loose and lightweight bolt that I recall triggering itself at least once. Think I forced a knife or screwdriver between the edge of the door and the jamb to dislodge the bolt. Replaced it soon after for a more modern and robust lock and problem was solved.

Yeah but it's nice to have sex with people. Give people the odd hug, (not that I do that these days as I'm old and grumpy).

Nah, yucky things, you don't know where they have been and you can catch nasty stuff if you get too close to them.

If the bolt were a VERY loose fit, it is just about possible that ambient vibration (nearby road or rail traffic, vibrating washing machine or tumble dryer, people walking up and down stairs etc.) could rattle it into position sufficiently to make it appear as if someone had locked it from the inside. An old flat we lived in years ago had an ill-fitting bathroom door that would rattle in any draft and a very loose and lightweight bolt that I recall triggering itself at least once. Think I forced a knife or screwdriver between the edge of the door and the jamb to dislodge the bolt. Replaced it soon after for a more modern and robust lock and problem was solved.

That could conceivably cause a bolt to move across if it were loose, but my recollection of this particular one was that it required a degree of effort to engage the bolt with the catch. I can recall this as one of the managers at the store had a predilection for young males - he would employ "Saturday boys" out of his own pocket and had a collection of photo albums containing images of young boys in various states of undress from his role as a Scout Master. I was only Seventeen when I started work there and you can be sure I was very aware of keeping safe while he was around, especially bolting the door when using the toilet facility. His peccadilloes were well known among the staff and I was eventually allowed to transfer to the Hounslow branch after I complained about his advances. Oddly enough he was promoted to an upper management role after all the high street Greens shops were sold to Dixons. Things were different in the Seventies.

I don't eat vegetables - you can have mine! (Not entirely true of course, I eat plenty of potato products and of course bread and cakes , maybe the odd bit of tomato and lettuce here and there).

But I feel fine too, so I think its more a matter of what you get your system used to. A vegan friend of mine can no longer digest meat. She accidentally had a meal containing some meat product - funnily enough in a Chinese restaurant - and was quite ill.

I'm no bigot about it - several times I've cooked her vegan meals when she still lived close by.

Back