• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh Lordi! Death Metal Eurovision Fins

Rrose_Selavy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ah..it takes a thousand years to build a European Culture and one annual contest to destroy it.

For their 40th attempt to win the Eurovision Song Contest, the Finnish people have chosen death metal act Lordi to represent them in Athens.

The five-piece will perform Hard Rock Hallelujah clad in gruesome costumes and monstrous masks.

They refuse to appear in public out of costume, while their grotesque make-up takes three hours to apply.

The band are so protective of their rock alter-egos, their real names remain a secret.

Finland's Lordi proclaim the coming of the "Acrokalypse" with their song

They are known as Amen the unstoppable mummy, Enary the manipulative valkyrie, Kalma the biker-zombie and Kita the alien manbeast.

Kita has the "combined strengths of all the beasts known to man", while he and the others are led by Lordi (The Lord).

With lyrics such as "wings on my back, I got horns on my head, my fangs are sharp and my eyes are red, not quite an angel or the one that fell, now choose to join us or go straight to hell," Finland's choice has prompted some marginal controversy.

Lordi's "Day of Rockoning" will be in the Eurovision semi-final on 18 May, where they hope to attract enough votes to propel them into the grand final.

In 2005, Norway entered a glam rock act to make a splash at the contest - they qualified for the final where they finished ninth.

Listen to Hard Rock Hallelujah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4906784.stm

I think it's great, best of luck to them. Unlikely to happen but I hope they win.

The song is great, but it's standar fare hard rock and most definitely not death metal. Anyway, I am itching to get some of their material.

Onix_Martinez said:
The song is great, but it's standar fare hard rock and most definitely not death metal. Anyway, I am itching to get some of their material.
Definitely seems to be towards the 'Disney' end of the spectrum... :lol:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Onix_Martinez said:
Definitely seems to be towards the 'Disney' end of the spectrum... :lol:

Well, maybe more like "The Munsters". They are kinda like a pop version of GWAR, but with better songs.

I've got their The Monster Show album . It is actually pretty good. Got it after seeing the video for Blood Red Sandman on MTV or something . Think they started off as a Kiss tribute band and ended up developing their own 'Slipknot on a bad acid trip' style. Wish them luck (I'm sure it will be better than that crappy UK entry-that tune is so irritating).

Always nice that one of the countries participating comes up with something special, like Norway did last year with Wig Wam. Lordi is like the monster version of Wig Wam.

Sure hope that Lordi wins. And they can if the European hard rock fans unite to vote for them.

I've just placed a £10 bet at Ladbrokes.com for Lordi to win. If they do, the odds are 12/1 so the £120 will do me nicely.

Go Finland!

They're in! They made it through! BRILLIANT!

Not sure how i feel about Lithuania's song though... "We are the winners..."

They will rock Europe! I think they will win. Many will protest vote for Finland against all the other boring music presented.

On a more serious note: The Eurovision song contest will turn into a Eastern European song contest within 5 - 10 years because the Eastern European countries vote for each other all the time.

Though prejudiced in favour in Norther Europe (I am half a norgie)...I have to say that they at least take the eurovision in the spirit. Finland's entry...brilliant. Iceland...silly madness. :lol:

I assume the british version was chosen by reality tv, committee, beauty contest or something. The Eastern Europeans will vote as a clique. Thank gods for Terry Wogan..always the best element of the comp. When he goes to the great BBC centre in the sky, the Powers that be should cancel EV. :lol:

lemonpie3 said:
They're in! They made it through! BRILLIANT!

Not sure how i feel about Lithuania's song though... "We are the winners..."

I know! How did those eejits get through and Belgium didn't? Are there a lot of Lithuianians spread around Europe phone-voting?

Something to look for on Saturday for those who didn't see the semi-final: the Macedonian singer's cleavage. Good grief.

Lordi sound a lot like Europe to me. The band, that is.

GadaffiDuck said:
I assume the british version was chosen by reality tv, committee, beauty contest or something. The Eastern Europeans will vote as a clique. Thank gods for Terry Wogan..always the best element of the comp. When he goes to the great BBC centre in the sky, the Powers that be should cancel EV. :lol:

Ever get the feeling it's at least five or six years since Daz Sampson had a Teenage Life?

Certainly livens up things.

(my Finnish familiy will be delighted)

Well, it broke the eastern european voting pact. I am particularly glad that the UK song sunk without a trace...hurrah for some taste shown by the voters. Clearly,kitsch was this year's winner.

Okay, I'm a red blooded male, but was it just me or have started cloning a certain type of blonde woman for the various countries' bands? - would've been nice to see some real women. There must be a factory that makes 'em.

Also, what about all the false enthusiasm and the painful dutch/presenter exchange :roll:

Well done the Finns

For heaven's sake, you realise this means it'll be the Eurovision Heavy Metal Contest next year.

And Britain came... erm 19th or something. I thought Daz and the Sampsonites did fine, it's a catchy tune, but I guess we're at the wrong end of Europe to do well now. Germany was my favourite anyway - German Country and Western.

You couldn't make it up. And Latvia with no intruments, no tune and their robot did better than Britain. Cuh. Ah well, nice to see Las Ketchup again, but "Bloody Mary" was no tomato based follow up hit.

What's the capital of Finland, anyway?

GadaffiDuck said:
Also, what about all the false enthusiasm and the painful dutch/presenter exchange :roll:

You didn't think the presenters were AMAZING, then?

Best "Spinal Tap" moment - Lordi's lead "singer's" batwings opening -

-

They sure won. They shocked ESC with their hard rock.
More heavy and metal rock bands will dare to participate in the future i presume, now that they can see it is possible to win.

4-5 years ago Norway had in their national finale a death metal band, but didn't do so well. Now I think ESC is ready for harder rock bands.

So, next year...more metal and kitsch acts. Might make the show more interesting all in. Thought Terry W. on brill form as usual. I wonder, do other Euro nations have a 'terry' muttering over the top?

I believe they do, but I doubt they're as sardonic.

Rrose_Selavy said:
Best "Spinal Tap" moment - Lordi's lead "singer's" batwings opening -

-
I turned on just in time for the Finnish number. Quite good.

How did it go again?

Hey! I'm an angel,
Not a particularily good one,
But, not a particularily bad one either.

I do have wings,
Which though leatheren,
Comply with EC Directive 665.99.
Lords of Hard Rock! Yeah!
Lords of Hard Rock! Yeah!

etc.

:confused:

I turned off when the blonde types with the miniskirts and kinky boots came on again.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I turned off when the blonde types with the miniskirts and kinky boots came on again.

Where's your priorities, man?!

A "Day of Rockening" indeed. You have to laugh.

While ordinarily I would avoid the Euromince noodlings of Lordi like an electrified bargepole covered in plague carrying rats, they certainly annoyed and befuddled everyone who deserved to be annoyed and befuddled. Groovy.

Haven't worked out if the votes went to them because noone thought anyone else would be voting for them and therefore were a safe non-competitive act to vote for, or what.

Not quite in the same league as ENT on the Brits with the KLF, and vaguely reminiscent of that time Europe won with The Final Countdown, but it was nice watching the wee circles of acrylic-nailed crying orange entourages at the end. And Lithuania can't sing that wretched song again without looking like bigger cheesebuckets than they did already.

Plus I think someone has £120 to pick up from the bookies tomorrow...

Interestingly, a few of my friends claim that they've been following Lordi for a couple of years anyway :?
Anyway, I'm glad that they won.

Back