• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh Lordi! Death Metal Eurovision Fins

I voted for Lithuania in the end.

I loved that Lordi, when interviewed, were polite, thoughtful and well-spoken young men. Brilliant.

That is what it is like in Scandyland. When my dad died last year, I was over in Norway dealing with the hospital and so forth. I had to go to a supemarket and stock up on food and beer. No money, and they wouldn't take my credit card!!! (a pigging Visa). However, the check out kid, not only spoke immaculate english (I mean perfect) but was clearly v.intelligent and very polite. He held back my goods, showed me where, in the middle of nowhere, the nearest cash point was, and got the manager to bring me out my bags when I returned. Ah....now think of 98% of the staff you come across in supermarkets in the UK..........

GadaffiDuck said:
That is what it is like in Scandyland. When my dad died last year, I was over in Norway dealing with the hospital and so forth. I had to go to a supemarket and stock up on food and beer. No money, and they wouldn't take my credit card!!! (a pigging Visa). However, the check out kid, not only spoke immaculate english (I mean perfect) but was clearly v.intelligent and very polite. He held back my goods, showed me where, in the middle of nowhere, the nearest cash point was, and got the manager to bring me out my bags when I returned. Ah....now think of 98% of the staff you come across in supermarkets in the UK..........

I've only been to Denmark but Scandanavia is class. :yeay:

Finns dismayed after Eurovision monsters unmasked

Fri May 26, 2006 1:35 PM BST

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Nearly 200,000 Finns have signed an online petition to express their dismay after tabloid magazines published pictures of Eurovision winners Lordi out of their trademark monster suits.

Though viewers around the world were curious about the real identity of the five monsters who shot to fame with their song "Hard Rock Hallelujah", many Finns were annoyed to have them unmasked and had signed the petition by Friday.

The band had asked media not to run pictures of them out of character, but two Finnish tabloid magazines went ahead, sparking a chorus of online jeers.

Hosts of the online petition at http://adressit.com/ansku69 said about 200,000 people had added their names so far.

Band leader Mr Lordi is recognisable to millions around the world since achieving victory in a silver monster suit, with horns and blazing red eyes.

But Tomi Putaansuu, as he is also known, was revealed to be a bespectacled 32-year-old with long brown hair and a goatee, when his picture was published in the magazine 7 paivaa (7 days) this week.

Rival magazine Katso ran pictures of the other four members of the band -- Kita, Amen, Ox and Awa -- who, along with Mr Lordi, took Finland to their first Eurovision victory.

"It's so wrong," said 15-year-old Milla Luoto, dressed in black and walking with two similarly clad friends in the centre of the Finnish capital. "Lordi didn't want his face shown and they just did it anyway. I am really angry."

(Additional reporting by Tarmo Virki, Terhi Kinnunen and Arild Moen)

© Reuters 2006.

Awww... I was hoping they'd have the pics on that link. Have they appeared unmasked on the net?

Cola named after rock group Lordi
Eurovision Song Contest winners Lordi are to be honoured with a cola named after them in their native Finland.
The hard rock group's singer, known as Mr Lordi, has designed labels featuring the five members in their monster masks and one of the whole band.

"The Lordi phenomenon has brought the whole nation together," said Ritva Sinisalo, of drink maker Olvi Group.

Lordi's song Hard Rock Hallelujah was the surprise winner at the 51st Eurovision in Athens in May.

It was Finland's first victory in the event.

Lordi Cola is due to go on sale next month.

The band are always seen in monster masks and fantasy costumes, and perform stadium rock anthems which talk of "the arockalypse" and "the day of rockoning".

They kick off their Bringing Back the Balls to Europe tour in Stockholm on 16 September, and play five UK dates in October.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 259038.stm

Published: 2006/08/17 11:21:55 GMT

© BBC MMVI

I really like Lordi, and have got tickets for their Halloween gig in London.
Should be a laugh :lol:

I got two albums, "Get Heavy" and "The Monsterican Dream". It's good Euro pop metal and I like it a lot. Some progressive flair also. I am ripping some of the songs to my ballad and instrumental metal caché. I think the wife will like them when I play them on the car the next time we are stopped for six hours in a traffic jam. Anyway, is these guys ever come to Mexico, I'll try to check them out. :D

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/7898

DJ BoBo asked to change "satanic" lyrics

DJ BoBo invites Eurovision Song Contest viewers to "enjoy the ride" "from Heaven to Hell" in his light-hearted Vampire dance. However a group of grassroots evangelical Christians don't believe the lyrics are harmless; they've sent a letter to the director of Swiss Television asking for the song to be withdrawn or at least changed. The group feels that the lyrics, if taken seriously, are dangerous and may encourage people to attempt suicide or become involved with the occult.

The Schweizerische Evangelische Allianz (Swiss Evangelical Alliance, or SEA) sent a letter on Wednesday to the director of Swiss Television Ingrid Deltenre asking that the broadcaster reconsider their decision to send the song Vampires are alive to Helsinki or at least to change the song's text. They also sent a copy of the letter to DJ BoBo and Pascal Couchepin the Swiss Minister of Culture and Health. The SEA asks, "Victory at any cost? What about the danger that unstable people may take BoBo's message seriously and try to end their life? Or what about the calculated risk of people turning to occult practices to find their (mis-)fortune?"

The major complaints seem to be over the line "you're here to surrender with your life"; critics also hear "sell your soul" run together with "from Heaven to Hell enjoy the ride". Additionally, one Swiss newspaper added fuel to the fire when it mistakenly rendered another lyric as "Hell is my grave" in German. The actual lyric is "I sleep through the daylight, HENCE my grave".

Swiss Television will not be recommending that DJ BoBo change the song. The Swiss broadcaster's spokesman Marco Meroni released a statement assuring, "Young people will not misunderstand this song text." DJ BoBo could not be reached to comment on the controversy himself because he is traveling in Ethiopia all week to witness first hand the effects of plague and hunger as an ambassador for the World Food Program (WFP) sponsored by the United Nations Organization (UNO). He will return in time to present "Vampires ..." on the popular Swiss lottery show Benissimo Saturday.

Evangelical Christian groups do maintain a small but active place in Swiss life and politics, but the views of the SEA in this matter don't seem to reflect mainstream Swiss attitudes. Though one major Zurich pop radio station is reportedly not playing the song because it may be inappropriate for children under the age of 8.

That's the Lordi influence that is. Or Harry Potter.

Hmmm..I don't know which is scarier, those hardcore evangelicals, or DJBobo singing a vampire song.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6675787.stm

Finnish rockers make horror film

Former Eurovision Song Contest winners Lordi are making their first film, an English-language horror movie called Dark Floors.

Announcing the film in Cannes, frontman Mr Lordi described it as a "traditional modern horror", and promised monsters, plot twists and "horrific scenes".

"Lordi goes to the twilight zone is what you can say," said the singer, whose real name is Tomi Putaansuu.

The Finnish band are famous for wearing gruesome latex masks on stage.

"All of the influences of this image comes from the horror films and the horror genre, so it is kind of natural for this band to have our own horror film," said Putaansuu.

Shooting began earlier this month, and the group expect to release the fright feature in Finland by the end of 2007.

But the movie venture is not the first extra-curricular activity for the hard rock band.

Following their Eurovision success last year they opened a Lordi-themed restaurant, Rocktaurant, in their hometown of Rovaniemi.

Items on the menu include the Lordi Burger and Rudolph's Last Journey - a reindeer sausage.

The band rounded off their Cannes press conference with a short concert including the hit singles They Only Come Out At Night and Who's Your Daddy.

Can't think of many horror musicals, this could start a trend.

Back