• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

In other situations, of course. But I find it hard to have sympathy with someone who sustains injury or dies doing something he morally and legally shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Sympathy for those close to him, by all means. Sympathy for him? Nah. Serve the bastard right.

GadaffiDuck said:
However, regardless of his obsession, no matter how ill conceived (ahem), a person has died. I trust the many of the above posters will keep such wonderful senses of humour in other situations......

That's surprisingly PC of you.

We are enjoying the irony of the circumstances of the death of the egg-collector, rather than the death itself. There is a crucial difference. ;)

Like it or not, the egg collectors are really the only people who know birds well.

Please tell me that you meant this as a joke in some way or its a quote you heard from someone but didn't attribute it to them. Because if not then you know remarkable little about birds and ornithology. The only thing that quote from you shows is how incredibly nieve you are, either that or you are an egg collector yourself and you have a shockingly high (and false) opinion of your own ornithological knowledge.

BEES SWARM ESTATE AGENTS IN THEIR HUNT FOR A HOME

11:00 - 03 June 2006

A swarm of bees looking for a new home took their search a bit too far yesterday when they swooped on an estate agency in Cornwall.

The bees from a hive in the garden of a nearby house gathered outside Kernow Property in Camelford yesterday lunchtime, disrupting traffic and shoppers on the narrow pavement.

Police and local traffic wardens had to be called to help cars past the scene before bee experts were called to clear them away.

Jane Moss, owner of Kernow Properties, said she panicked at first and then calmed down.

"They are only bad when they are angry, so if you avoid getting them angry they are OK, so we weren't that worried," she said.

Her colleague, Angie Thomas, said she had seen them when she came back from lunch.

"We did panic a little because this is an old building and there is a gap at the top of the door and an extractor fan, but we were able to shut them off so the bees couldn't get in," she said, adding that the bees were believed to have come from a garden a couple of doors up.

The pair even blocked the keyhole in the door to stop bees getting in, and were glad the shop had a side door so they could get in and out.

The picture was taken by Avian Sandercock, who runs the Wakesfields of Camelford print shop. "My customers were coming in and talking about it, and I had the camera," he said. I got out there and the police were there guiding the traffic past the bees."

The bad weather during May could be to blame, according to one bee expert.

Edward Old, from the Portreath Bee Centre, said the problem was that the bees kept mating and the bad weather kept them shut up in the hives.

"They were breeding and breeding - their numbers didn't stop," he said. "The hives get massively overcrowded, so as soon as good weather arrives, like this week, they all just swarm and go."

Mr Old said swarms were not likely to be dangerous, but should be approached with caution. If people see a swarm, he advised them to call either the police, their council environmental department or the bee centre.

The centre keeps a list of all beekeepers who will come to remove swarms in Cornwall, and can be contacted on 01208 863718.

The bees in Camelford were brought under control in the afternoon. Eyewitnesses said most of the bees were brushed into a makeshift hive. A few could not be caught and had to be gassed.
http://tinyurl.com/q2bfo

So nobody got stung?

That's Fortean in itself. :D

Not really, Aunty Snail. Swarming bees are very mellow and have no hive to defend, because that's what they're looking for - a new home. They're also stuffed to the gills with honey, having eaten as much as they can in order to survive that search.

The fear bees inspire in people is irrational - not that a bee sting doesn't hurt like the dickens, but that bees don't sting peopile that often. And waving them away attracts them. When I'm eating and bees come to investigate, I let them, and they go away soon. (The legs tickle a bit.) People who wave them away can never get rid of them.

I'm always tickled to death when bees come to hang out in my yard.

I was referring to the presence of estate agents.

Who sting everyone and, unlike bees, don't die after the initial pain.

Information boss admits mistake

Britain's freedom of information boss has had to censure himself after he admitted breaking his own rules.
Information Commissioner Richard Thomas refused a request from campaigners Friends of the Earth (FOE) to issue information about climate change.

But, following a complaint, he admitted making a mistake in not releasing the details and reprimanded his department - the first time he has done so.

FOE said it would carry on trying to get the information made public.

The commissioner handles requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act.

The group had asked for details on climate change from the Department of Trade and Industry last December.

Several months later the commissioner turned down their request, citing advice from the DTI.

But Mr Thomas later issued an embarrassing Decision Notice - the punishment for not complying with the Freedom of Information Act - against his own department.

FOE said the case showed the "increasingly shambolic state" of the commissioner's department.

"The commission is meant to protect our rights of access to information," said spokesman Phil Michaels.

"This case clearly shows the ICO does not comply with its own obligations."

The department said it had learnt its lesson from the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5054376.stm

From the Times

It's time to curb gun trade, says man who invented the AK47
From Jeremy Page in Moscow

Kalashnikov despairs at the sight of children clutching his rifle

HARDLY a day goes by without Mikhail Kalashnikov turning on his television set and seeing his lethal invention being brandished somewhere.
It still makes him proud to see the Kalashnikov assault rifle — better known as the AK47 — in the hands of professional soldiers and national liberation movements.

But now, aged 86, he laments that it has become the weapon of choice for terrorists, criminals and child soldiers — and, as such, the most prolific killing machine in history.

Yesterday, a week before a UN conference on the small arms trade begins in New York, he added his voice to growing calls for an international treaty that would curb sales of his own creation. “I don’t worry when my guns are used for national liberation or defence,” he told The Times. “But when I see how peaceful people are killed and wounded by these weapons, I get very distressed and upset. I calm down by telling myself that I invented this gun 60 years ago to protect the interests of my country.”

General Kalashnikov (retired) began designing his weapon in 1941 while recuperating in hospital from wounds suffered when a German shell hit his tank. He recalls brainstorming one night and scribbling down a design he hoped would improve the Soviet Army’s chances against the better-equipped Nazi forces, who were being issued with automatic rifles. To his frustration, it would not be completed until 1947 — hence the name Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 — but the weapon proved so reliable that it had become standard army issue within two years and was soon being exported to “friendly” governments and revolutionary movements.

Copies and adaptations were also produced in more than a dozen communist countries, including China, North Korea, East Germany and Poland.

As a result, there are an estimated 100 million AK47s in the world today — some ten times more than its American rival, the M16. And almost a billion rifles have been produced based on its design and parts, according to Izhmash, the company that makes the AK47 at its factory in Izhevsk in the Ural mountains.

Mr Kalashnikov, who is still chief designer at Izhmash, attributes the gun’s popularity to its simplicity and reliability, especially compared with its Western counterparts.

“Even after lying in a swamp you can pick up this rifle, aim it and shoot. That’s the best job description there is for a gun. Real soldiers know that and understand it. Look what’s happening now: every day on television we see that the Americans in Iraq have my machineguns and assault rifles in their armoured vehicles. Even their American rifles don’t work properly.”

The rifle is especially effective in jungles and deserts, so much so that the Pentagon bought thousands to equip the new Iraqi armed forces.

This year Venezuela bought 100,000 to replace its army’s American rifles — and then announced plans to open a factory producing the Russian weapons under licence.

General Kalashnikov says that he has not profited directly from any sales of the weapon: he could not patent it in Soviet times and failed to win the rights to his design after 1991.

Since the Soviet collapse, however, he has made a comfortable living putting his name to products including umbrellas, penknives, watches and two brands of vodka. Most recently, Russia’s biggest carmaker announced plans to produce an armoured military jeep version of the Lada — to be called the Kalashnikov.

Now, with his health failing, General Kalashnikov is putting his name to a campaign for tighter controls on the international trade in small arms.

Oxfam, Amnesty International and the International Action Network on Small Arms launched the campaign in 2003 to get an International Arms Trade Treaty adopted at the UN conference, starting next Monday. The treaty, which has the backing of 50 countries, would prohibit the transfer of small arms to governments or armed groups responsible for grave human rights abuses.

General Kalashnikov, who is writing a statement to be presented at the conference, told The Times: “It is imperative to make a decision about introducing strict sanctions on those who violate the terms of such an international agreement.”
James Dyson, of Amnesty International, welcomed General Kalashnikov’s support. “It’s interesting that even someone who has been involved in the manufacture of these weapons is recognising that they are now being used in such an irresponsible fashion. Governments should act now to agree universal principles to regulate this deadly trade.”

GUN LORE

The AK47 fires 600 rounds a minute, is accurate to 300m, deadly at up to 1,500m

Used in 55 armies

Manufactured in 11 countries

Appears on Mozambique and Hezbollah flags

1 billion rifles produced based on its design

1,300 people killed each day worldwide by small arms

I wanted to add this before I retire for the day.

They recently passed some law that lets cops break into a house without knocking or giving a warning if they have a search warrant. Here in Indiana we have a law that allows us to shot to kill any intruders to our houses if we think we are at any risk, which is actually any time someone breaks into the residence. :D So, it is now legal to shot cops if they bust in without warning. :spinning

At least our local cops realized this and said they would not enter without letting the occupants know their prescence.

:rofl:

It's the kind of law that allows the element of surprise but the officers need to use their own judgement in doing so. After all, an ordinary householder might shoot an 'intruder' so the cops will knock or issue some warning. But if they are to enter a suspected or known violent offenders house, they'd be expecting a violent response anyhow.

tonyblair11 said:
I wanted to add this before I retire for the day.

They recently passed some law that lets cops break into a house without knocking or giving a warning if they have a search warrant. Here in Indiana we have a law that allows us to shot to kill any intruders to our houses if we think we are at any risk, which is actually any time someone breaks into the residence. :D So, it is now legal to shot cops if they bust in without warning. :spinning

At least our local cops realized this and said they would not enter without letting the occupants know their prescence.

:rofl:
EXCELLENT use of irony there.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Biker dies in crash after anti-helmet gathering

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WAPATO -- A motorcycle rider returning from a rally by a group opposing the state's mandatory helmet law died after crashing into a pickup truck on U.S. 97 outside this lower Yakima Valley town.

Alcohol was suspected in the death of Jason Irvine, 27, of Yakima, who was wearing a helmet while returning from an annual rally at the Toppenish fairgrounds by American Bikers Aimed Toward Education, or ABATE, Washington State Patrol Lt. James W. Keightley said.

A rally representative would not comment to the Yakima Herald-Republic. According to ABATE's Web site, the group does not advocate riding without a helmet, only that riders be given a choice.

Irvine and another biker were northbound when a Ford F-150 ahead of them pulled to the shoulder to check a possible mechanical problem about 2:20 p.m., Keightley said.

The first rider swung around the truck, but Irvine hit the left rear corner of the vehicle and remained with the motorcycle for about 80 feet before coming to a stop on the roadway.

Irvine, who was pronounced dead at the scene, might have been struck by a second pickup.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274 ... cle20.html

Raw deal! Noel Edmonds injures his elbow lifting the telephone
By Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
(Filed: 22/06/2006)

Is there to be no end to the nation's suffering? After Wayne Rooney (metatarsal) and Michael Owen (knee), the latest British icon to be felled is Noel Edmonds (elbow).

His injury, it can be said, is a little less heroic than the others. An orthopaedic consultant has found that Edmonds is suffering from repetitive strain injury in his right elbow from lifting the telephone too often on his new television game show, Deal or No Deal.

"It's a bit ridiculous but I am in agony," the presenter said yesterday. "After 40 years in entertainment, I can at last boast that I have suffered an industrial injury."

One of the key props in the Channel 4 show is an old-fashioned Bakelite telephone. An element in the suspense - as contestants attempt to win money placed in locked boxes - requires Edmonds to pick it up with a theatrical flourish and talk to a mysterious figure called "The Banker" to negotiate the contestants' winnings.

Edmonds, 57, said: "The phone is pretty heavy and I have to pick it up a dozen times a show. We shoot three shows a day and it got so painful that I could hardly pick the bleeding thing up.

"I didn't know what was wrong so I went to a consultant in Bristol last week and she diagnosed it as repetitive strain injury, rather like tennis elbow. She said she was a huge fan of the show and was sure that it must be from picking up the phone.

Abandoning the daytime show is not an option. Deal or No Deal has revived the career of Edmonds, it wins daily audiences of more than three million and the presenter is being paid a reported £3 million a year. Nor is the obvious: picking up the phone with his left hand.

He said: "It's all about camera angles and I have to wear an earpiece in my left ear for the producer to give me instructions.

"I've had a steroid injection and am picking up the phone in a low kind of underhand arc instead of with a showy overhand way. We have changed one camera angle so it doesn't look too odd."

Edmonds's injury puts him in good company. In 2001, Rick Parfitt, the veteran Status Quo guitarist, was diagnosed with RSI. It was put down to playing the same three chords - E major, A major and B7 - for 35 years.
http://tinyurl.com/lvg94

Oh the irony II

Two coastguards on their way to help a stranded boat had to be rescued after the vehicle they were driving rolled 15 feet down a cliff in Northumberland.

It happened at Newbiggin-by-the-Sea on Sunday while the men were on their way to help the boat which was stuck on rocks with four people on board.

The coastguards' vehicle landed on its roof and they had to be cut free by a crew from an RAF Boulmer helicopter.

The men were hurt, but their injuries are not said to be life-threatening.

Meanwhile, a fishing boat was able to assist the stranded boat until it could be towed to safety by a RNLI crew.

A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said: "We received reports on Sunday morning of a cabin cruiser with three adults and a child on board which was in difficulties.

"A land and sea rescue was then launched and contact was made with a nearby fishing boat which was able to assist until the cabin cruiser was towed to safety.

"In the meantime two coastguards were travelling to the rescue by land and for reasons yet to be established their vehicle rolled over the cliffs and landed on its roof on the sand below.

"They suffered various injuries which are not thought to be life-threatening."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 114716.stm

Kenya corruption activist sacked

Kenya corruption activist sacked

The head of the Kenyan office of a global anti-corruption watchdog has been sacked over allegations of financial and other irregularities. Executive director Mwalimu Mati denied the allegations, which arose after an audit of the books of the Kenya branch of Transparency International.

Observers say the dismissal highlights the nature of problems facing Kenya. Three senior Kenyan government ministers have resigned over corruption claims in the past few months. Last week, another corruption scandal involving a bank and millions of dollars of missing taxes dominated the headlines.

I will be taking appropriate legal action against the members of the board who are making these allegations against me

Mwalimu Mati

President Mwai Kibaki promised that his priority was to root out corruption when he came to power more than three years ago.

Irony

The BBC's Adam Mynott in Nairobi says that in a country riddled by corruption, it is hard to deny the irony of the claim that the local head of one of the world's most renowned anti-corruption agencies should be accused of exactly the practices he is supposed to be on the lookout for.

High-profile campaigns against corruption have been launched
The board of directors of Transparency International Kenya are due to hold a meeting with donors on Monday.

Mr Mati has said he will attend but the board's dismissal letter said he was barred from entering their offices until he hands over to his successor

The board said it had sacked Mr Mati because of "major anomalies and irregularities in contracts awarded to a company run by persons with links to the executive director" and the misuse of Transparency International's name for financial gain.

Mr Mati denied the allegations and said the board of directors was undermining its own authority.

"The board has lost the moral authority to comment on corruption in Kenya because they've shown that they have no respect for due process and they totally do not appreciate, or are not able to comprehend, the whole doctrine of conflict of interests," he told the BBC.

"At the end of the day, I think the allegations against me are actionable and I will be taking appropriate legal action against the members of the board who are making these allegations against me."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5114694.stm

sSomething truly Ironic about 'Our Nicole Kidma marrying 'OurKeith Urban.
Iin Manly for god's sake!
The setting of Nickys first film, the cinematic masterpiece know as BMX BANDITS...
:!:

chriswsm said:
Timble2 said:
He finally dropped off his twig.

Nicely spotted

Was just going to post that article myself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 017330.stm

I love the bit that says

A spokesman for the RSPB said Mr Watson had at one time been "public enemy number one" in the bird protection world.

He said the society extended its sympathies to Mr Watson's friends and family.

Now who honestly believes that the RSPB really extends sympathy to the friends and family of a man like that. The only thing that could have made this story better is if he had fallen out of the tree as a teenager rather than as a 63 year old Scumbag.

If the RSPB mention him in their next newsletter I hope they dont restrain themselves. I will keep an eye out for that.
I will keep an eye out for this in the quarterly RSPB magazine. Just the thought of the vast amount of eggs this man destroyed in his long 'career' makes me wish I'd pushed the old bastard out of the tree myself. Golden eagles? Ospreys?! The very fact that he was checking out an "unusual nest", i.e. that he thought he might be onto a rare find, makes me glad his plans were scuppered.
(putting horns away now :evil: )

OPEN CHALLENGE

I think there's more than enough genuine examples of irony on this thread to fully stock a re-write of the aforementioned alanis morisette song...If it wasn't very late, and I wasn't very tired, I'd do it myself...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5184214.stm

Drink-driving beer boss censured

US beer magnate Peter Coors has had his licence revoked for driving under the influence of alcohol in the western state of Colorado.
A hearing ruled that Mr Coors had failed to heed a stop sign in May and was driving while intoxicated.

Mr Coors, 59, admitted driving after consuming beer at a wedding.

"I made a mistake," Mr Coors said in a statement. "For years, I've advocated the responsible use of our company's products."

He added: "That's still my message, and our company's message. I'm sorry I didn't follow it myself."...

(C) BBC 05

The water pressure here has dropped dramatically - you can hardly fill a glass. That's all we need, in this hot weather!

The reason is that a distribution centre on the industrial estate on the edge of town is being enlarged, and the contractors have accidentally cut through a water main.

The warehouse belongs to Bargain Booze. :roll:

NZ policewoman works as call girl
A New Zealand policewoman has been allowed to keep her job, despite moonlighting as a prostitute.
The Auckland officer, whose name and rank have not been revealed, apparently took up the part-time work due to financial difficulties.

A police spokesman said although secondary employment was allowed, prostitution was "inappropriate and incompatible with policing".

Prostitution has been legal in New Zealand since 2003.

"(Deputy commissioner) Lyn Provost deemed the nature of the secondary employment as incompatible with policing and the officer is receiving counselling," said police spokesman Jon Neilson.

He added it was known she worked for a limited time as a prostitute, but would not reveal where or when she worked.

Senior police are believed to have discovered the nature of the officer's second job in the past month.

A spokeswoman for the New Zealand Prostitute's Collective said that depending on the brothel, the policewoman could have earned around $NZ500 (£168.16) on busy night.

Ron Mark, the law and order spokesman for the New Zealand First political party said despite prostitution being legal, organised criminals still played a part in the local brothels and the officer would have been vulnerable to extortion.

"I know a hell of a lot of police officers who struggle with the cost of living in Auckland but they don't all rush out and become prostitutes," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 198934.stm

Published: 2006/07/20 14:38:30 GMT

© BBC MMVI

What a beat up. :roll:
If prostitution is legal in NZ, like it is here in Victoria, AUS, what's the problem?
The authorities can't have it both ways- telling the public that brothels are clean, girls are clean, the premises are safe etc- and then kicking up a fuss about someone going into working life.

FWIW, our brothels are open 24 hours a day, on three 8 hour shifts, during the Australian F1 Grand Prix, their busiest time. Those boys and their big toys, the smell of tyres and testoterone...

Spellchecker firm corrects typo

A company that sells software to stop spelling mistakes on the internet has had to reissue its latest press release after letting through a typing mistake.
Canadian company TextTrust sells software to eliminate "the negative text impressions on Web sites" had to send out its own statement again.

The release listed "the 16 million we (sic) pages it has spellchecked over the past year".

"It's very embarrassing," said the company's PR representative.

'Egg on the face'

The press release listed words including "independent", "accommodation" and "definitely", which were spelled "independant", "accomodation" and "definately".

But it did not list the word "web".

"I made the mistake, not TextTrust - they do a much better job," said PR manager Pat Brink. "It's certainly egg on the face of this public relations person."

TextTrust said it used a combination of human editors and special spell-checking software to find spelling errors on the web.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5219220.stm

Canadian company TextTrust sells software to eliminate "the negative text impressions on Web sites" had to send out its own statement again.

To add to the irony, this sentence makes no grammatical sense.

I received a polite e-mail from a bloke, pointing out a howler on my website: I had written "deseminated" for disseminated.

Very polite, really, because he resisted pointing out that it came straight after a sentence in which I had outed myself as an English-teacher!

:oops:

Back