• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oklahoma Federal Building Bombing

calypsoparakeet said:
The current fad is to blame white people and to especially elevate and kowtow to middle easterners (who are also white people except to liberals).
Such things move about upon political expediency.
It's also likely that organized internal groups would at least appear to present overall a greater danger. :spinning

OK, I'm not trying to have a go at you, but having having a hard time following this. You're making some rather sweeping statements, but offering little in the way of specifics.

The current fad by who, to blame white people for what?

Yes, it can be argued that some "middle easterners" are white (even to liberals, you'd be surpised), though certainly not Anglo-Saxon. But the "middle easterners" you cite, you mean arabs? Semites? Jewish semites? Kurds? Muslims? Some of the above? All of the above?

I agree that many things move about upon political expediency.

And I probably don't even disagree that organized internal groups might be an overall greater danger to my safety as a white (half-Jewish), Christian, left-wing, gay American. mmmm....????

But praytell, how is any of this a follow-up to your original post that Tim McVeighs ideas about government were basically correct. As far as I know, he never really articulated any beyond being extremely pissed off at the government's criminal (yes criminal, I admit that) actions at Waco and Ruby Ridge. Or that if he wasn't white and American he'd be free right now and on the streets of the US making money denouning the US (G*d, tell me how I can make money denouncing the government, I've been doing it for free for over 20 years!) instead of executed.

Please elaborate. i mean that sincerely.

I didn't say you were the only one, unless the voices told you that was what i thought...

You certainly impled that you are the only one possesing the facts of the case on this board... and then refuse to enlighten for undisclosed reasons.

The rest of your comment is largely noise... :) Other than the bit about politics... who is the arbiter of right and wrong in what is effecitively an act of faith akin to religious belief. High ground is a wonderful place to be... I'd like to visit it one day...

McVeigh was the *Lee Harvey Oswald* patsy for the Clintons.

Wadda waste - too bad Tim was such an underachieving LOSER who didn't have the BRAINS/GUTS to speak the truth!

NotAFeminist said:
McVeigh was the *Lee Harvey Oswald* patsy for the Clintons.

Wadda waste - too bad Tim was such an underachieving LOSER who didn't have the BRAINS/GUTS to speak the truth!
So like our own, dear, Glenda Slagg.

calypsoparakeet said:
On the other hand, if I am convinced I am correct about something then obviously I must be convinced anyone who disagrees is wrong. That's only logical.
There's only one thing I'm absolutely convinced of: that being absolutely convinced of anything at all is an absolutely convincing sign that one is absolutely insane... Life is a form of freefall: only head for the rocks if you want to be dashed to pieces. :hmph:

Convictions cause convicts.

It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

Everyone I know how's right agrees with me.

McVeigh was a Freemason (30th degree!) who was dis-owned by his "buddies"....

I can dig up the URL for those interested (I ran across this info when I did a term paper last Fall on the Freemasons). Some of the links were hilarious!

It just goes to show that any loser can become a member of a subversive group.....and my research came up with ALOT of them! LOL

"Notta" - un-bending Stu's spoons :)

Oklahoma: Terry Nichols Trial

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA5W2XFZQD.html
Nearly a Decade After Deadly Oklahoma City Blast, Nichols Case Set for State Trial
By Tim Talley
Associated Press Writer

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) - The bombing that killed 168 people in the Oklahoma City federal building may seem like ancient history to many, but not to those touched by the blast - or to state prosecutors who want to put Terry Nichols to death for the crime.
Nearly a decade after the bombing, a state murder trial is set to begin March 1 for Nichols, 48, who already is serving a life prison sentence without chance of parole on a federal conviction.

"I suspect a lot of people have already put this in the history book. But for those who are involved, that history will never end," said Roy Sells, whose wife, Lee, was one of those killed in the April 19, 1995, bombing that destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane has said Nichols should be held accountable for the deaths of victims who were not part of the federal prosecution.

Nichols' 1997 conviction on federal conspiracy and involuntary manslaughter charges involved only the deaths of eight federal law enforcement officers. The state charges involve the other 160 victims and the unborn child of one of those killed.

"I do really feel like we need to go through it again," said Jeanine Gist, whose daughter, Karen Gist Carr, was killed. "I don't feel like we got justice the first time."

However, most Oklahomans feel differently, according to two polls. Many feel the expense and turmoil of another trial is unnecessary, given Nichols' life sentence.

Nichols has offered to plead no contest if prosecutors agree not to seek the death penalty, but Lane has indicated he will not agree to that.

Nichols was at his home in Herington, Kan., the day the bomb exploded. But prosecutors allege that he and Timothy McVeigh worked side by side to acquire materials and build the 4,000-pound bomb of fuel oil and ammonium nitrate fertilizer. Prosecutors said the bombing was a twisted plot to avenge the FBI siege two years earlier at the Branch Davidian compound at Waco, Texas.

McVeigh was convicted on federal murder charges and executed in June 2001.

The state charges against Nichols were filed in 1999 by former Oklahoma County District Attorney Bob Macy, who said he was not satisfied with the outcome of the federal trial.

Lane, who took over in 2001 after Macy retired, considered dismissing the charges out of concern for the expense of the case and the toll it would take on the victims' families. More than million has been spent on defense, prosecution and security costs.

But after meeting privately with survivors and victims' relatives, Lane announced his decision to proceed on Sept. 5, 2001 - one week before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. Before those attacks, the Oklahoma City bombing was the worst act of terrorism ever in the United States.

"Accountability to the laws of the state of Oklahoma demands we stay the course," Lane said at the time.

A gag order prevents Lane from commenting further.

A recent Tulsa World poll found that 70 percent of Oklahomans feel the expense of a state trial is unnecessary since Nichols is already serving a life sentence. An earlier poll, for The Oklahoman, found a majority of state residents would prefer a plea bargain to a trial.

However, many survivors and victims' family members believe that death by lethal injection is the only appropriate punishment for Nichols.

"In this country we execute people for committing a single murder," said Jannie Coverdale, whose two grandsons were killed in the blast. "If Terry Nichols does not get the death penalty, we might as well abolish the death penalty in this country."

Pretrial issues have delayed the state case's progress. Nichols' preliminary hearing was postponed seven times before he was bound over for trial in May.

The Oklahoma Supreme Court denied a defense request last year for an eighth postponement and expressed frustration over the high cost and slow pace of bringing Nichols to trial.

"I think a lot of people in the state of Oklahoma and elsewhere are outraged that it has taken so much time," Justice Ralph Hodges said.

AP-ES-02-22-04 1313EST

I *really* do not understand why this whole subject has not drawn more scrutiny on this board, goodness knows I've tried before. Here's hoping some of these things can be explored at trial...

The mystery of John Doe No. 2

McVeigh may die, but the FBI's shoddy case means suspicions that he had at least one other accomplice will live on.

By David Neiwert
- - - - - - - - - -

June 09, 2001 | The main thing Joann Van Buren says she remembers about Timothy McVeigh is the $50 bill he wanted her to break. That, and the two men who accompanied him.

One day before he tore a hole in the nation's psyche with the bomb that destroyed Oklahoma City's Murrah Federal Building, McVeigh, Van Buren says, pulled up to the little Subway sandwich shop where she worked in Junction City, Kansas, driving the yellow Ryder truck that would contain the bomb.

Van Buren didn't pay any particular attention to them at first. Another clerk waited on the men, but when they tried to pay for their meal with a large bill, she took notice.

"As soon as the $50 bill came up, I had to go to the safe to get the change," says Van Buren today. "And when I gave them the change and they got their sandwiches, I remember them going back over to the corner, sitting down. And when they left, I remember three people getting into the truck. There were three people at the table."

The clerks she worked with later told FBI agents that two of the men matched the descriptions of McVeigh and his cohort, Terry Nichols. The third was a shorter, dark-haired and muscular man with an olive complexion: a perfect fit for the figure destined to be known as John Doe 2.

Luckily, the Subway shop actually had a video camera recording that day's events. When Van Buren contacted the FBI, agents interviewed everyone working in the shop on April 18. And when they were done, they confiscated the video recorded that day.

But if that tape showed a third co-conspirator with McVeigh and Nichols, no one outside the FBI can say. No one beyond the agency ever saw it. In the waning days of Nichols' trial, his defense attorneys discovered the details of Van Buren's story -- which had only been described in generic terms in the FBI's report, omitting her contention that two men accompanied McVeigh -- along with information contained in some 43,000 other "lead sheets" that the FBI until then had failed to turn over to them.

Michael Tigar, who led the Nichols defense, tried in 1999 to use the FBI's failures to produce all relevant documents to gain a new trial for his client. But U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch refused, saying the withheld material would not have altered the trial's outcome.

He likely was right. In fact, Nichols' jury had already refused to give him the death penalty largely because of some jurors' belief that more people were involved in the bombing than merely McVeigh, Nichols and Michael and Lori Fortier, the Arizona couple who were acquaintances with the two men and who were the prosecution's chief witnesses. That belief is also shared by thousands of conspiracy theorists who remain convinced the whole truth about the Oklahoma City bombing has not been told. Nichols' verdict stands as nearly the sole validation that the bombing may not have been the product of two lone bombers.

And when the FBI admitted it had failed to turn over another 3,100 documents to defense attorneys, fresh fuel was thrown onto those fires. McVeigh's execution was delayed a month as lawyers for both men started combing through the withheld information to see if it might give them an opportunity to overturn at least their sentences, if not their convictions. His execution is now scheduled for Monday.

But just as he hovered in the background of numerous eyewitness accounts like Joann Van Buren's, the figure of John Doe No. 2 almost certainly lurks within those withheld documents -- and he will continue to haunt the Oklahoma City case after McVeigh is executed. And, in an era that has seen more FBI foul-ups than any other time in history, the bureau's inability to explain away the repeated accounts of additional participants in the bombings has raised legitimate questions about the quality of its own investigation -- as well as fueled thoughts of larger conspiracies that will live beyond McVeigh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jose Padilla and John Doe No. 2

By J.M. BERGER
INTELWIRE.com

Shortly after the announcement of alleged al Qaeda dirty bomber Jose Padilla's arrest in June 2002, a number of Internet sites posted a comparison of Padilla's 1991 mug shot to a police sketch of John Doe No. 2, a never-apprehended suspect in the Oklahoma City bombing. Stories on the comparison appeared in the Wall Street Journal and the Boston Herald, as well as on the Web site of the Village Voice, NBC's "Today Show," and NPR's "Here and Now" radio news program, among others.

INTELWIRE has extensively investigated Padilla in an effort to confirm or refute such a connection. As of this writing, no conclusive evidence exists on either side of the debate. While some misconceptions about possible links have been disproven, there is a surprising amount of circumstantial support for the premise.

However, it should be stressed that no case for an Islamic extremist connection to Oklahoma City has yet achieved the highest standards of physical evidence. Although some credible independent investigations of the case continue, as of this writing such links must continue to be categorized as unproven.

John Doe 2

John Doe No. 2 was suspected of being an accomplice who assisted Timothy McVeigh in assembling and possibly deploying the ammonium nitrate-nitromethane bomb that destroyed the Alfred E. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995.

There were several credible sightings of a man seen with McVeigh in Kansas in the days preceding the Oklahoma City bombing, as well as a large number of largely inconsistent reports concerning the day of the bombing.

John Doe 2, as described by various witnesses quoted in media reports and McVeigh defense team notes, was five-foot-nine to five-foot-ten, about 180 pounds, with a dark complexion, dark hair and a tattoo on his left arm. Witnesses who saw John Doe 2 in Kansas in the days preceding the bombing almost universally described his as Hispanic. Although later media reports and speculation among conspiracy theorists cast the suspect as being of Middle Eastern descent, the original reports do not reflect that characterization. The vast majority of John Doe 2 sightings took place between April 14, 1995 and April 19, 1995.

The FBI distributed two composite sketches of John Doe 2, as well as a sketch later determined to be Timothy McVeigh and another later determined to be Terry Nichols.

Jose Padilla, an ethnic Puerto Rican, is five-foot-10 and weighed 170 pounds at the time of his arrest in 1991, according to Florida criminal records. A mid-1990s driver's license photo and a 1991 mug shot of Padilla closely resemble the composite sketch. Padilla was a chronic traffic offender with frequent citations for driving violations. Florida state DMV records obtained by INTELWIRE indicate that Padilla had no documented violations in the state from January 1995 through June 1995.

After an extensive manhunt, the FBI declared there had never been a John Doe 2, and said the hunt had been based on a mistaken identification by the owner of the store where Timothy McVeigh rented the Ryder truck used in the attack.

However, there is substantial reason for even a "conspiracy skeptic" to question the FBI's conclusions in the case, as reflected in several mainstream news media reports and the public results of the FBI's internal investigations into the handling of the OKCBOMB investigation:

# Testimony relating to John Doe 2 came from several individuals in the same time frame, most of whom were unconnected to the truck rental store.
# Several investigative stories by Associated Press reporter John Solomon in 2002 have cast significant doubt on the FBI's handling of OKCBOMB and the agency's conclusions that McVeigh acted alone.
# At least two internal FBI investigations of the OKCBOMB investigation have uncovered substantial irregularities, in the areas of forensics and document production.

Close Encounter: McVeigh, Hassoun and Padilla in Florida

Timothy McVeigh quit his job at the end of 1992 and traveled to Plantation, FL, in early 1993, where he attended gun shows while visiting with his sister.

During the same period, Jose Padilla first began reaching out to make contacts in the local Islamic community, according to the New York Times and the Washington Post. Around the same time, Padilla met a representative of the Benevolence International Foundation, which had an office in Plantation, FL, about five minutes away from Padilla's workplace and about 20 minutes from the home where McVeigh was living, according to evidence and testimony presented in several criminal cases.

According to the New York Times and a 2002 FBI affidavit, al Qaeda was actively recruiting American citizens during this period. The Times quoted Padilla's manager at the Taco Bell during this period as saying that terrorist recruiters were known to be circulating in the community.

The founder of the Benevolence office was Adham Hassoun, a local Palestinian activist. According to a indictment unsealed in January 2004, Hassoun illegally possessed a firearm. The alleged date and place of purchase was not immediately known. McVeigh sold at gun shows on at least two separate occasions in early 1993, according to trial testimony.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, in a separate proceeding "Immigration Judge Neale Foster found Hassoun participated in an assassination plot, recruited a "jihad fighter," donated money to charities under investigation for possible links to terrorism and belonged to an international terrorist organization called Al-Gama Al-Islamiyya, according to Hassoun's petition for release to a federal district judge. That petition was denied."

Al-Gama Al-Islamiyya, also known as the Islamic Group, is tied to a New York City al Qaeda cell whose spiritual leader was Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman. One member of that cell, Clement Rodney Hampton-El, recruited U.S. military veterans for al Qaeda, as reported in an INTELWIRE exclusive investigative report. The al Qaeda recruitment plot corresponds closely to the movements of McVeigh and Terry Nichols in key time frames.

During the planning and execution of the OKCBOMB plot, McVeigh and Terry Nichols both traveled in and around Chicago, where the Benevolence International Foundation was based in from mid-1993 on. Padilla had a son in Chicago, where he had been raised. Nichols traveled through Illinois on the way to a gun show just days before the first sightings of John Doe 2, according to testimony and evidence at his and McVeigh's trial.

No Relation to Nichols Ex-Wife

One misconception fueling the initial interest in Padilla as a candidate for John Doe 2 was his surname. Terry Nichols, McVeigh's accomplice in the OKC plot, had an ex-wife named Lana Padilla, a resident of Las Vegas, NV. Nichols and Padilla had an amicable relationship and shared a son, Josh.

Interviewed in 2002, Lana Padilla said she was not aware of any relation to Jose Padilla. Lana Padilla's surname came from a former marriage. There is no evidence to suggest that Leonard Padilla, Lana's ex-husband, is related to Jose Padilla in any way. Lana Padilla continues to aver that she believes there was a John Doe 2 (an argument which supports the legal position of her ex-husband, currently facing a potential death sentence in an Oklahoma trial).

(C) 2004, J.M. Berger, All Rights Reserved.

---------------------------------------------------

Ex-CIA agent believes in a John Doe 2

Published: March 23, 2002

The Indianapolis Star

Though the U.S. government clings to the notion that Timothy McVeigh, acting alone, set off the horrendous explosion on April 19, 1995, that pancaked the nine-story Oklahoma City federal building, a former high-ranking CIA official says there's solid evidence to indicate he worked with an Iraqi John Doe No. 2.

Larry Johnson, former CIA officer and deputy director of the State Department's Office of Counterterrorism, told a network news show this week the FBI had failed to properly investigate significant eyewitness accounts of McVeigh meeting with the man believed to be a former Iraqi soldier.

Johnson made those comments on The Big Story with John Gibson, a Fox news program airing nightly at 5 p.m., which delved into an extensive dossier on the case compiled by former Oklahoma TV reporter Jayna Davis. The program aired just days after a lawsuit filed by the watchdog organization Judicial Watch that alleges Iraqi involvement in the Oklahoma City bombing and seeks compensation for victims from frozen Iraqi assets.

Davis, who reported from Ground Zero in Oklahoma City for NBC-affiliate KFOR, broadcast a series suggesting a possible accomplice to the bombing who had been seen with McVeigh on the days leading up to and the day of the bombing. Gibson unabashedly reported Davis' work to a national TV audience on three consecutive days this week.

On Monday, Gibson relayed that Davis' evidence is based "on the simple proposition that Tim McVeigh's John Doe 2 was an Iraqi, a former Iraqi soldier from the Gulf War, paroled into the U.S. under a claim of political asylum, known to be in Oklahoma City as of November of '94 almost a year before the Murrah bombing, spotted with McVeigh by multiple witnesses, and who in recent years was working at (Boston) Logan airport," where the Sept. 11 hijackings originated.

On Tuesday, Gibson posed the question to Johnson about a possible link between Iraq and Oklahoma City.

"I think this woman (Davis) has done a remarkable job of finding a link that was overlooked," Johnson said. Johnson also commented on a Justice Department review of the thousands of documents that resurfaced or were destroyed, delaying McVeigh's execution for a month.

"The FBI . . ., they still have not turned over all of the documents to the defense teams that came out of Oklahoma," he said. "In particular, the information that links, shows possible links to Middle Eastern subjects."

KFOR's reports distorted the face of one of those suspects and did not name him. However, on his own volition, a former Iraqi soldier who claims he surrendered to the U.S. in the Gulf War and who was brought to the United States from a refugee camp in Saudi Arabia, stepped forward and identified himself to two other Oklahoma City TV stations and The Associated Press as the man that KFOR had implicated as John Doe No. 2.

Hussain Hashem Alhussaini sued KFOR and Davis for defamation, saying the reports falsely identified him as John Doe No. 2. But a U.S. District Court disagreed. In ruling for KFOR, U.S. District Judge Timothy Leonard found in November 1999 that the station had taken extraordinary measures to hide Alhussaini's identity.

Leonard added that KFOR's reports were either "based on fact or a matter of opinion," and not negligence or reckless disregard for the truth. Alhussaini, who went to work at Boston's Logan International Airport after leaving Oklahoma City, continues to deny any involvement in the bombing. Former CIA Agent Johnson is unconvinced.

"I compared it to all the human intelligence I've looked at," he said. "And comparing it to classified material, this is not from just one witness, this is not from two witnesses; you're talking 23 people, you're talking at least 10 people who put Tim McVeigh with Hussain Alhussaini before the Oklahoma City bombing.

"Two people who identified Hussain Alhussaini and Tim McVeigh in a bar on April 15; three people who identified Hussain Alhussaini running from the federal building early in the morning at 5:30 as if he is practicing timing himself. You have two witnesses that put Tim McVeigh with Hussain Alhussaini in the Ryder truck; you have one witness inside the Murrah Building who sees Hussain Alhussaini eating out of the truck . . .

"The point is the FBI has not thoroughly, fully investigated this. It is an outrage. I went along for many years thinking they have covered the bases. They have not, John."

You can't say Davis didn't try. She tried to give the witness statements to the FBI in the fall of '97, but it wouldn't take them.

Copyright 2003 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

These are just randomly selected examples, peeps. Put Elohim City (the white supremecist compund in Oklahoma that was infiltrated by the FBI and McVeigh visited in the months before the bombing), on search, and you'll find tons more.

OTOH, there are certainly plenty of webpages that look over the same evidence and come to what are essentially the government's conclusuion's. I'm not saying these people aren't all whack, by any means...

But, c'mon, +/- 300 posts to 'Was The Moon Landing Hoaxed?', and we can't generate some good conspiracy on the OKC bombing? :confused:

Homo Aves said:
Yes, can anyone explain to me what a `Jonh Doe` is??

John and Jane Doe are names usually given to unidentifeid bodies in the states - don't hey have a different name here?

February 25th - 11:09 pm ET

AP finds documents showing FBI destroyed proof possibly tying robbers to Oklahoma City bombing

JOHN SOLOMON
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — FBI agents destroyed evidence and failed to share other information that raised the possibility that a gang of white supremacist bank robbers may have assisted Timothy McVeigh during the Oklahoma City bombing, according to documents never introduced at McVeigh's trial.

Both the FBI supervisor who ran the Oklahoma City investigation and the veteran agent who was in command at the bombing scene say the new evidence, detailed in documents obtained by The Associated Press, is serious enough to warrant reopening the inquiry nine years later.

The evidence, never shared with Oklahoma City investigators or defense lawyers, includes documents showing the Aryan Republican Army bank robbers possessed explosive blasting caps similar to those McVeigh stole and a driver's license possibly stolen during the bombing plot.

"If the evidence is still there, then it should be checked out," said Dan Defenbaugh, the now-retired FBI chief of the McVeigh investigation who reviewed the documents at the request of AP. "If I were still in the bureau, the investigation would be reopened."

Danny Coulson, the FBI scene commander for the Oklahoma bomb site, agreed.

"There is some unanswered questions here. A lot of things happened that were inappropriate," Coulson said. "I think it needs to be reopened, but I don't think it should be reopened by the FBI. It needs to be a special investigator, a lawyer, totally independent. He needs to have subpoena power and the ability to use a grand jury."

The agents said there could be plausible explanations for each piece of evidence — blasting caps are plentiful and the bank robbers were experts in identification fraud — but those questions need to be answered.

The investigative documents obtained by AP also shed new light on evidence the Justice Department did not introduce at McVeigh's 1997 trial, including that McVeigh may have sought to recruit additional help around the time he called a white supremacist compound in Oklahoma where several of the bank robbers stayed.

For instance, an FBI headquarters teletype stated McVeigh called the compound on "a day that he was believed to have been attempting to recruit a second conspirator to assist in the OKBOMB attack."

The April 19, 1995, bombing killed more than 160 people and McVeigh was put to death for it in 2001. His co-defendant, Terry Nichols, will stand trial in Oklahoma next week on state charges that could carry the death penalty.

Peter Langan, one member of the robbery gang, told the AP he plans to testify at Nichols' trial and that federal prosecutors several years ago offered and then withdrew a plea deal for information he had about the Oklahoma City bombing.

The gang "had some liability problems as it related to Oklahoma City," Langan alleged in a phone interview from federal prison where he is serving life sentences for a robbery spree involving nearly two dozen Midwest banks in the 1990s. Langan said at least three fellow gang members were in Oklahoma around the time of the bombing and one later told him that they had become involved.

McVeigh's ex-lawyer, Stephen Jones, said government officials "simply turned their backs on a group of people for which there is credible evidence suggesting they were involved in the murder of 160 people."

FBI and Justice Department officials declined comment, citing the upcoming trial.

Agents who worked both the McVeigh bombing and the bank robbery spree — two of the FBI's highest priority cases of the 1990s — said they suspected a link between the two because of physical evidence as well as statements made by the robbers and a girlfriend.

The agents said they ruled out a connection when the bank robbers denied their involvement and provided an alibi showing they left Oklahoma three days before McVeigh's bomb detonated outside the Alfred P. Murrah federal building on April 19, 1995.

That alibi, however, was contradicted by information Langan offered prosecutors and by car sales records showing the bank robbers were still in the Oklahoma area after they claimed to have left, FBI documents show.

Defenbaugh said his investigators never were told about the license, the blasting caps or problems with the robbers' alibi, and he first learned of them from the AP this year.

McVeigh in 1994 stole from a quarry hundreds of construction blasting caps, some which he used to explode the Oklahoma City bomb. The FBI spent months unsuccessfully trying to locate many of the other stolen caps.

Agents collected witness testimony that McVeigh had placed some of the extra caps in two boxes wrapped in Christmas paper in the back of his car along with mercury switches and duffel bags.

One electric and five non-electric blasting caps were found in the Aryan Republican Army robbers' Ohio hideout in January 1996, along with mercury switches, a duffel bag and two items described as a "Christmas package," FBI records show. The FBI allowed firefighters to destroy the caps at the scene.

The destruction "in itself was in total violation of the FBI's regulations and the rules of evidence," Defenbaugh said. "If there was Christmas wrapping paper, that should really have been a key to people ... and caused them to be compared by the laboratory to see if these were from McVeigh."

The FBI took photos of the caps and kept the driver's license but refused repeated requests from AP to release them.

Defenbaugh said he also was concerned his investigation was never told the bank robbers had an Arkansas driver's license in the name of Robert Miller, the alias name used by Arkansas gun dealer Roger Moore.

The government contended at McVeigh's trial that Moore was robbed at his Hot Springs, Ark., home in November 1994, and the proceeds were used to fund the Oklahoma City bombing.

McVeigh was in Ohio the day Moore was robbed, staying in a hotel near a bank the robbers would hit one month later.

FBI agents were so suspicious of a link they analyzed video footage of the robbery to see whether McVeigh participated, but the FBI lab reported the comparison of McVeigh's picture to the bank surveillance video was inconclusive. That video was destroyed in 1999 by the FBI despite rules to the contrary.

A few months after Moore's robbery, McVeigh and the gun dealer exchanged letters in which Moore went by the name Robert Miller, the same alias on the license the bank robbers possessed when they were arrested in 1996.

"If the license is the same as our Roger Moore, then I'm really concerned," Defenbaugh said.

Defenbaugh said he also was unaware that the government recovered a videotape from the robbers that included surveillance of several properties. Langan said he suspects the tape includes footage of Moore's home where the 1994 robbery occurred.

Separately, a death row inmate who has written a book about his experiences with McVeigh inside prison alleges the convicted Oklahoma City bomber told him the bank robbery gang assisted the bombing plot.

David Paul Hammer, a convicted murderer set to be executed in June, said he has no way of knowing whether McVeigh told him the truth but he kept notes from his conversations and believes prison officials surreptitiously recorded some conversations. His book, due next month, details what McVeigh told him about the robbers.

"He (McVeigh) knew they were involved because he said he planned it with them," Hammer said. "He said they were part of what he called his security detail."

FBI agents acknowledged they investigated suspicions of a link between McVeigh and the bank robbers.

When bank robber Mark Thomas was indicted in January 1997 he told reporters that at least one gang member was involved in the Oklahoma bombing, according to a newspaper clip in FBI files. "Your young Mr. Wizard took out the Murrah building," Thomas was quoted as saying of one of his bank robbery colleagues.

Thomas' ex-girlfriend told FBI agents her boyfriend stated shortly before he traveled to a white supremacist compound at Elohim City, Okla., in spring 1995 that a federal building was about to be bombed.

"We are going to get them. We are going to hit one of their buildings during the middle of the day. It's going to be a federal building," Donna Marazoff quoted Thomas as saying during her FBI interview.

Thomas could not be located for comment, but was quoted in FBI interview reports as saying "he could not recall ever saying anything to Donna Marazoff about blowing anything up or about taking part in any bombings."

The FBI agents said they dropped the inquiry after Thomas and other members of the ARA gang were captured in 1996 and 1997, denied their involvement in McVeigh's bombing and provided an alibi.

The alibi, according to FBI records, was that the bank robbers left Elohim City on April 16, 1995, and went to a house in Kansas to meet with Langan three days before the bombing. But the FBI's own records conflicted with that account.

Used car sales records gathered by the FBI showed the gang purchased a truck on April 17, 1995, on the Oklahoma-Arkansas border, then returned to Elohim City to sell an old vehicle.

Langan said he offered to tell prosecutors back in 1996 that the bank robbers' alibi was bogus. "They didn't return to the house until the morning of April 20," Langan claimed.

The documents show FBI agents first suspected a possible link in summer 1995 when bank robber Richard Guthrie left behind at the site of two bank robberies a newspaper article about the Oklahoma City bombing with McVeigh's picture circled.

Langan said the robbers became fearful Guthrie might recklessly implicate them in the bombing, and in fall 1995 discussed killing Guthrie. Guthrie eventually committed suicide after his capture by authorities the following spring.

——

Some of the original FBI documents cited in story are available at

http://datacenter.ap.org/wdc/okcdocs.html

http://ap.cjonline.com/pstories/20040225/1928299.shtml

Feb 28, 2004

Defense in Nichols' Bombing Trial Likely to Rely on Conspiracy Theories, New Twists
By Tim Talley
Associated Press Writer

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) - Attorneys for Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols will try to keep him out of the state's death chamber by claiming he was the fall guy for a shadowy group of conspirators.
To make the point, they plan to call a rogue's gallery of witnesses - including an inmate who spent time on death row with Timothy McVeigh and a member of a gang of white supremacist bank robbers.

Already serving time in federal prison, Nichols goes on trial Monday on state murder charges for the bombing that killed 168 people at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.

Prosecutors allege that Nichols, 48, conspired with McVeigh to build the 4,000-pound bomb of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil in a twisted plot to avenge the FBI siege against the Branch Davidian sect at Waco, Texas, two years earlier.

At pretrial hearings, defense attorneys led by Brian Hermanson have focused on other potential suspects.

"Witnesses will be called to show that, while Mr. Nichols was at home in Kansas taking care of his family and building his business, Mr. McVeigh was actively recruiting and building a network of people who shared his violent hatred toward the federal government," according to a pretrial motion.

How much conspiracy evidence Nichols' jurors will see depends on District Judge Steven Taylor. Conspiracy testimony will be allowed only if defense attorneys prove that other suspects committed specific, overt acts to plan and execute the bombing.

Stephen Jones, an attorney who represented McVeigh, said Nichols' defense strategy will be difficult to implement.

"I think it is an uphill climb for Nichols to convince a jury," Jones said

However, the fact that Nichols was at home in Herington, Kan., when the bomb went off could make it harder for prosecutors to get the death penalty, said Andy Coates, a former prosecutor and dean of University of Oklahoma Law School.

"Certainly he wasn't the trigger man. He was one step removed, at least geographically, from what was going on," Coates said.

Nichols was convicted on charges of conspiracy and involuntary manslaughter for the deaths of eight federal agents in the bombing. He now faces 161 state murder charges for the other victims, plus an unborn child whose mother died in the explosion.

Defense witnesses will include David Paul Hammer, who is scheduled to be executed in June at a federal prison in Terre Haute, Ind., for the murder of a prison cellmate.

Hammer spent time with McVeigh on federal death row and claims McVeigh gave him the identity of coconspirators including John Doe 2, a mystery man some claim to have seen with McVeigh on the day of the bombing.

A member of a bank robbery gang connected with the Aryan Republican Army, a white supremacist group with anti-government views, also may testify. Peter Langan, serving life for a string of bank robberies in the 1990s, said in a phone interview with The Associated Press that at least three fellow gang members were in Oklahoma around the time of the bombing and one told him that they had become involved.

The Associated Press reported last week that FBI agents investigating those bank robberies collected witness statements and evidence that raised questions of whether the Aryan Republican Army might have assisted McVeigh's plot. But they did not share all the information with their colleagues in Oklahoma City.

The FBI responded Friday by asking its inspection division to review some of that evidence and determine if more needs to be done.

The defense also will try to discredit physical evidence in the case by pointing out problems in the FBI crime lab where the evidence was tested.

The trial could be complicated by publicity surrounding the case and Nichols' federal conviction, legal analysts said. The trial was moved from Oklahoma City to McAlester, about 130 miles away, because of pretrial publicity.

"The notion that an impartial jury can be found in the state of Oklahoma is almost an absurdity," said E. E. "Bo" Edwards III of Nashville, Tenn., president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Prosecutors will rely on volumes of circumstantial evidence linking Nichols to the bomb plot, Nichols' anti-government writings before the bombing and testimony from survivors and members of victims' families.

They will also allege that Nichols robbed an Arkansas gun dealer in November 1994 to help finance the plot - a robbery defense attorneys believe was committed by the Aryan bank robbery gang.

The prosecution's star witness at Nichols' federal trial, Michael Fortier, will take the stand again to describe how McVeigh and Nichols detonated explosives in Arizona and experimented with ingredients that were later used in the bombing.

Fortier, serving a 12-year sentence for knowing about the bomb plot and not telling authorities, also will testify that Nichols was deeply involved in planning the bombing.

AP-ES-02-28-04 1442EST
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAFZ7R38RD.html

Review Ordered on McVeigh Ties

Associated Press
Saturday, February 28, 2004; Page A22

The FBI ordered a formal review yesterday of some aspects of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing investigation, reopening the question of whether Timothy J. McVeigh may have had more accomplices in the worst domestic terrorist attack in U.S. history.

The FBI ordered agents to determine why some documents reached neither the bureau's Oklahoma City task force during the original investigation nor McVeigh's lawyers before he was executed in 2001, officials said.

The review of evidence and documents will also try to determine whether FBI agents in a separate investigation of white supremacist bank robbers may have failed to alert the Oklahoma City investigation of a possible link between the robbers and McVeigh, and allowed some of that evidence to be destroyed.

The Associated Press reported Wednesday that documents never introduced at McVeigh's trial indicated that FBI agents destroyed evidence and failed to share other information that raised the possibility that a gang of white supremacist bank robbers may have assisted McVeigh.

The evidence includes documents showing that the Aryan Republican Army bank robbers possessed explosive blasting caps similar to those McVeigh stole and a driver's license with the name of a central player who was robbed in the Oklahoma City plot.

The documents do not prove that additional accomplices were involved -- blasting caps are plentiful, and the gang was expert in document fraud. But the FBI agent who ran the Oklahoma City investigation, Dan Defenbaugh, said his team never had a chance to investigate the evidence. He called for the probe to be reopened.

The April 19, 1995, bombing killed more than 160 people, and McVeigh was put to death for it in 2001. His co-defendant, Terry Nichols, will stand trial in Oklahoma next week on state charges that could carry the death penalty.

Nichols's attorneys asked on Thursday for the trial to be delayed in light of the AP story, but the judge refused.

FBI officials and Nichols's attorneys declined to comment last night, citing a gag order in the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13542-2004Feb27.html

FBI to study evidence connecting McVeigh to white supremacists

BY JOHN SOLOMON THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004

WASHINGTON — The FBI ordered a review of some aspects of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing investigation Friday, reopening the question of whether Timothy McVeigh may have had more accomplices, government officials said.

Reacting to an Associated Press story earlier this week, the FBI ordered agents to determine why some documents did not properly reach the bureau’s Oklahoma City task force during the original investigation or get turned over to McVeigh’s lawyers before he was executed in 2001, officials said.

The review will also try to determine whether FBI agents in a separate investigation of white supremacist bank robbers may have failed to alert the Oklahoma City investigation of a possible link between the robbers and McVeigh, and allowed some of that evidence to be destroyed.

The evidence cited Wednesday by AP includes documents showing the Aryan Republican Army bank robbers possessed explosive blasting caps similar to those McVeigh stole and a driver’s license with the name of a central player who was robbed in the Oklahoma City plot. The caps were destroyed.

McVeigh’s former attorney and the retired agent who led the McVeigh investigation applauded Friday’s development. "It was the right thing to do. The FBI has to put the integrity back in the" I" of the FBI, "retired agent Dan Defenbaugh said.

The attorney, Stephen Jones, said the key will be how aggressively the FBI pursues the review." The question is how serious an investigation it will be or are they going through the motions and is this a face-saving way to close the book on this, "he said.

The documents don’t prove additional accomplices were involved — blasting caps are plentiful and the gang was expert in document fraud.

But Defenbaugh said his team never got the chance to investigate the evidence and he called earlier this week for the inquiry to be reopened.

McVeigh was put to death in 2001 for the April 19, 1995, bombing that killed more than 160 people. His co-defendant, Terry Nichols, will stand trial in Oklahoma next week on state charges that could carry the death penalty.

Nichols’ attorneys asked Thursday for the trial to be delayed in light of the AP story, but the judge refused.

FBI officials and Nichols’ attorneys declined comment Friday night, citing a gag order in the case.

Government officials, who spoke only on condition of anonymity, said the review will be handled by the FBI’s inspection division, a unit of senior agents that routinely conducts reviews to ensure the bureau follows its own rules and conducts investigations properly.

The officials said the review was ordered" out of an abundance of caution" to ensure that any questions about additional conspirators be put to rest.

It is not the first time issues in the McVeigh case have had to be reopened.

In 2001, the Justice Department was forced to conduct an internal investigation to determine why 4,000 pages of documents from the case were belatedly turned over to defense lawyers just days before McVeigh’s execution date.

The revelation prompted a one-month delay in the execution.

Peter Langan, one member of the Aryan Republican Army robbery gang, told AP he plans to testify at Nichols’ trial that federal prosecutors several years ago offered and then withdrew a plea deal for information he had about the Oklahoma City bombing.

Langan said he plans to testify that at least three fellow gang members were in Oklahoma around the time of the bombing and one later told him that they had become involved.

Agents who worked both the McVeigh bombing and the bank robberies — two of the FBI’s highest priority cases of the 1990s — said they suspected a link between the two because of physical evidence as well as statements made by the robbers and a girlfriend.

The agents said they ruled out a connection when the bank robbers denied their involvement and provided an alibi showing they left Oklahoma three days before McVeigh’s bomb detonated outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.

That alibi, however, was contradicted by information Langan offered prosecutors and by car sales records that showed the bank robbers were still in the Oklahoma area after they claimed to have left, FBI documents show.

McVeigh in 1994 stole from a quarry hundreds of construction blasting caps, some which he used to explode the Oklahoma City bomb. The FBI spent months unsuccessfully trying to locate many of the other stolen caps.

Agents collected witness testimony that McVeigh had placed some of the extra caps in two boxes wrapped in Christmas paper in the back of his car along with mercury switches and duffel bags.

One electric and five nonelectric blasting caps were found in the Aryan Republican Army robbers’ Ohio hideout in January 1996, along with mercury switches, a duffel bag and two items described as a "Christmas package," FBI records show.

The FBI allowed firefighters to destroy the caps at the scene, and they were never compared to the Oklahoma case.

FBI agents in the robbery case also determined that the bank robbers had an Arkansas driver’s license in the name of Robert Miller, the alias name used by Arkansas gun dealer Roger Moore.

The government contended at McVeigh’s trial that Moore was robbed at his Hot Springs, Ark., home in November 1994, and the proceeds were used to fund the Oklahoma City bombing.

One of the bank robbers, Mark Thomas, claimed in a newspaper in 1997 that one of his gang was involved in the Oklahoma bombing.

And Thomas’ ex-girlfriend told FBI agents her boyfriend stated shortly before he traveled to an Oklahoma white supremacist compound in spring 1995 that a federal building was about to be bombed.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/story_national.php?storyid=57410

News is from the publisher so.............

The 3rd terrorist: Mideast tie to OKC bombing
Investigative reporter has 'dead-bang' evidence of Islamic plot

Posted: February 12, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols were not the lone conspirators in the Oklahoma City bombing but were part of a greater scheme involving Islamic terrorists and at least one provable link to Iraq, according to a new release by WND Books.

Backed by stunning evidence, author Jayna Davis explains in detail the complete, and so far untold, story behind the failed investigation in The Third Terrorist: The Middle Eastern Connection to the Oklahoma City Bombing."

The investigative reporter who first broke the story of the Middle East connection, Davis shows why the FBI closed the door, what further evidence exists to prove the Iraqi connection, why it has been ignored and what makes it more relevant now than ever.

Told with a gripping narrative style and vetted by men such as former CIA director James Woolsey, Davis's piercing account is the first book to set the record straight about what really happened in the bombing that killed nearly 170 people in a few short seconds April 19, 1995.

Last April, Davis' reporting on the Oklahoma City bombing was vindicated when the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed a lawsuit filed against her after finding "defendants did not recklessly disregard the truth" in reporting on an Iraqi soldier's alleged involvement in the bombing.

"After eight years of oppressive litigation, the courts have vindicated my work ethic as a dedicated journalist," Davis told WorldNetDaily at the time. "The lawsuit was obviously designed to silence a legitimate investigation into Middle Eastern complicity in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing."

In an interview with WND in October 2001, attorney David Schippers, who prosecuted the House of Representatives' impeachment case against Bill Clinton, said his examination of the evidence Davis presented him was conclusive.

"I am thoroughly convinced that there was a dead-bang Middle Eastern connection in the Oklahoma City bombing," he said.

Read WorldNetDaily's extensive coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing case.

Jayna Davis's blockbuster -- "The Third Terrorist: The Middle Eastern Connection to the Oklahoma City Bombing" -- is available now from the source, WorldNetDaily. Order today and qualify for three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed Whistleblower magazine.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37088

Emps

Nichols Defense Suggests Wider Conspiracy
By TIM TALLEY

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) - Defense attorneys used a key prosecution witness to bolster their case that Terry Nichols was set up to take the blame for the Oklahoma City bombing.

Nichols' lawyers laid out their conspiracy argument during questioning of Eldon Elliott, former owner of Elliott's Body Shop in Junction City, Kan., and operator of a Ryder truck leasing agency.

They maintain that executed killer Timothy McVeigh had substantial help from unknown coconspirators while collecting components for the homemade bomb. The April 19, 1995, explosion at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building killed 168 people.

Elliott testified that McVeigh was accompanied by a man other than Nichols when he rented the Ryder truck used in the bombing. He said the men talked softly as McVeigh completed paperwork.

The man, Elliott told the court, had skin ``a little darker'' than McVeigh's and wore a baseball cap set off with blue lightning streaks.

Descriptions of the man were used to create a composite sketch known as John Doe No. 2, a shadowy figure that people reported seeing with McVeigh before the blast. Elliott testified the man with McVeigh looked similar to the sketch of John Doe No. 2.

The sketch and eyewitness sightings prompted one of the largest manhunts in U.S. history. Prosecutors eventually concluded the man in the sketch was an Army soldier who rented a truck the day after McVeigh rented one.

Elliott told the defense attorneys that the FBI tried unsuccessfully to convince him that his memory was incorrect.

In other testimony, Ruth Haley, of Herington, Kan., testified she saw a Ryder truck parked behind Nichols' home in Herington one or two days before the blast. She said she saw no one around the truck.

FBI fingerprint examiner Louis Hupp said he found Nichols' fingerprints on several pieces of evidence, including a box found in Nichols' home that contained detonation cord like that used in the bomb.

Testimony in the state murder trial was to resume Tuesday.

Nichols was convicted on federal involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy charges for the deaths of eight federal law enforcement officers. He is serving a life sentence.

In Oklahoma, Nichols faces 161 counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of the other 160 victims and one victim's fetus. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

McVeigh, convicted of murder, was executed in 2001.

04/06/04 06:05

© Copyright The Associated Press.

Bombing was effing TAPED/Gov't has been supressing evidence

Well, well, well...the plot does indeed thicken.

Document: Oklahoma City Bombing Was Taped

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Secret Service document written shortly after the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing described security video footage of the attack and witness testimony that suggested Timothy McVeigh may have had accomplices at the scene.

``Security video tapes from the area show the truck detonation 3 minutes and 6 seconds after the suspects exited the truck,'' the Secret Service reported six days after the attack on a log of agents' activities and evidence in the Oklahoma investigation.

The government has insisted McVeigh drove the truck himself and that it never had any video of the bombing or the scene of the Alfred P. Murrah building in the minutes before the April 19, 1995, explosion.

Several investigators and prosecutors who worked the case told The Associated Press they had never seen video footage like that described in the Secret Service log.

The document, if accurate, is either significant evidence kept secret for nine years or a misconstrued recounting of investigative leads that were often passed by word of mouth during the hectic early days of the case, they said.

``I did not see it,'' said Danny Defenbaugh, the retired FBI agent who ran the Oklahoma City probe. ``If it shows what it says, then it would be significant.''

Secret Service spokesman Charles Bopp declined to discuss the video footage reference, saying it would be addressed by witnesses later this week at the capital murder trial of McVeigh co-defendant Terry Nichols. ``It is anticipated Secret Service employees will testify in court concerning these matters,'' he said.

Other documents obtained by AP show the Secret Service in late 1995 gave prosecutors several computer disks of enhanced digital photographs of the Murrah building, intelligence files on several subjects in the investigation and a file detailing an internal affairs inquiry concerning an agent who reconstructed key phone evidence against McVeigh.

``These abstract sheets are sensitive documents which we have protected from disclosure in the past,'' said a Secret Service letter that recounted discussions in late 1995 with federal prosecutors on what evidence would be turned over to defense lawyers.

Lawyers for Nichols say they have never been given the security video, photo disks or internal investigative file referenced in the documents.

The trial judge has threatened to dismiss the death penalty case if evidence was withheld. McVeigh was executed in 2001 on a separate federal conviction. Nichols was sentenced to life in prison on federal charges before being tried by the state this year.

The government has maintained for years that McVeigh parked the Ryder rental truck carrying a massive fertilizer bomb outside the Murrah building and left alone in a getaway car he parked around the corner. The bombing killed more than 160 people.

The only video prosecutors introduced at trial showed the Ryder truck without any visible passengers as it passed a security camera inside a high-rise apartment building a block away from the Murrah building.

But the Secret Service log reported on April 24 and April 25, 1995, that there was security footage showing the Ryder truck pulling up to the Murrah building. The log does not say where such video came from or who possessed it.

A log entry on April 25 states that the security footage allowed agents to determine the time that elapsed between suspects leaving the truck and the explosion.

An entry a day earlier on the same log reported that the security video was consistent with a witness' account that he saw McVeigh's getaway car in the lead before a woman guided the truck to its final parking spot in front of the Murrah building.

``A witness to the explosion named Grossman claimed to have seen a pale yellow Mercury car with a Ryder truck behind it pulling up to the federal building,'' the log said. The witness ``further claimed to have seen a woman on the corner waving to the truck.''

A Secret Service agent named McNally ``noted that this fact is significant due to the fact that the security video shows the Ryder truck pulling up to the Federal Building and then pausing (7 to 10 seconds) before resuming into the slot in front of the building,'' the log said. ``It is speculated that the woman was signaling the truck when a slot became available.''

Defenbaugh said the FBI had talked to several witnesses suggesting two people had left the truck, but prosecutors never introduced the scenario at trial because it couldn't be corroborated. That's why a new security video would be significant, he said.

``It would have taken the investigation in a very specific direction,'' Defenbaugh said. ``Rather than having to go down an eight-lane highway during rush hour, we would have gone down a faster path with just two or four lanes.''

Defenbaugh said the FBI kept a log similar to the Secret Service document inside the Oklahoma City investigation command center that might help solve the mystery of the video. Justice officials declined to discuss documents, citing the ongoing Nichols' trial.

In addition to the witness mentioned in the Secret Service document, a woman working in Murrah's Social Security office who was rescued from the rubble and a driver outside the building both reported to the FBI seeing two men leave the truck, according to government documents.

The Secret Service log contained other information about the case - including that McVeigh made 30 calls to an Illinois gun dealer in the months before the attacks to seek dynamite and that the gun dealer subsequently failed a lie detector test. The Secret Service lost six employees in McVeigh's bombing, the single largest loss in agency history.

Nichols' attorneys last week asked the judge to dismiss the case on grounds the government withheld evidence, including the security video footage.

New documents obtained by AP show the Secret Service provided prosecutors other evidence that may not have been provided to defense lawyers, including a file showing the Secret Service agent who reconstructed crucial phone evidence against McVeigh was subjected to an internal affairs investigation and eventually cleared for her conduct in the case.

FBI officials say that file details allegations the agent wrongly collected grand jury-subpoenaed phone information about McVeigh's calls without FBI knowledge, and kept it for weeks while she produced analysis that helped the investigation.

The internal investigation caused complications for prosecutors. They decided it tainted the agent as a witness and they chose instead to hire an outside expert to re-do the phone analysis for trial, officials said.

Bopp said the Secret Service did nothing wrong.

``The Secret Service worked cooperatively with the FBI and other federal state and local law enforcement throughout the investigation,'' Bopp said. ``The expertise of the Secret Service on electronic crimes and telecommunications provided unique and timely information to the ongoing investigation.''

On the Net:

The FBI: http://www.fbi.gov

The documents obtained by The Associated Press can be viewed at http://wid.ap.org/documents/okc/okcdoc2.pdf

04/19/04 16:55

© Copyright The Associated Press.

Fast-food manager says she saw Timothy McVeigh with others, unsure if he's mystery suspect

By Tim Talley, Associated Press, 5/7/2004 16:20

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) A McDonald's manager testified Friday that Timothy McVeigh and a dark-skinned man were part of a group that piled out of a Ryder truck and entered her restaurant just days before the Oklahoma City bombing.

But the woman could not say whether the man with McVeigh was John Doe No. 2, the enigmatic suspect who is the key to Terry Nichols' defense on state murder charges in the April 19, 1995, bombing. The defense contends others helped McVeigh plan and execute the blast and that Nichols was set up to take the blame.

Joan Rairden testified that the men visited the McDonald's in Junction City, Kan., shortly before midnight on April 13 or 14, 1995. She said three people came inside, including McVeigh and the man with the dark skin and slicked-back hair.

McVeigh went to the rest room, Rairden said, and the man with the slick hair placed an order. McVeigh came into the restaurant with the same group during the lunch hour a few days later, she said.

Rairden said she could not identify the other man from a sketch of John Doe No. 2 that was shown to her by FBI agents after the bombing.

''He was darker. It didn't look like exactly him,'' she said.

The sketch was based on a description by a worker at a nearby body shop where McVeigh leased the Ryder truck that delivered the bomb, which killed 168 people.

The drawing depicted a heavy, well-built man with brown eyes and hair who witnesses said was with McVeigh at the leasing agency.

On cross-examination, prosecutor Suzanne Lister asked Rairden why security videotapes from the restaurant show McVeigh there just once, two days before the bombing. Rairden said she had not reviewed the tapes.

The testimony came in the second day of questioning of defense witnesses.

Nichols, 49, was at home on the day of the bombing, but prosecutors allege he helped McVeigh gather bomb components and build the bomb.

He faces the death penalty if convicted on first-degree murder charges.

Nichols is serving a life prison sentence on involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy counts in the deaths of eight federal law enforcement officers in the bombing. In Oklahoma, he faces 161 counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of the other 160 victims and one victim's fetus.

McVeigh was convicted on federal murder charges and executed in 2001.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/128/nation/Fast_food_manager_says_she_saw:.shtml

May 19, 2004

Witness: Scientist Lied About Crystals

By TIM TALLEY
ASSOCIATED PRESS

McALESTER, Okla. (AP) - A government scientist lied when he claimed that ammonium nitrate crystals found on Oklahoma City bombing debris had been embedded by the force of the blast, an FBI whistleblower testified Wednesday at bombing conspirator Terry Nichols' state murder trial.

Frederic Whitehurst, testifying for the defense, said an FBI forensic scientist he trained himself, Steven Burmeister, also lied when he testified that the crystals came from the kind of fertilizer believed to have been used in the bombing.

Whitehurst said there was not enough evidence to support either of Burmeister's conclusions.

"He is my student. And I trust him like a brother. But he lied under oath. He lied," Whitehurst said, appearing to grimace with emotion.

The bomb destroyed the Oklahoma City federal building on April 19, 1995, killing 168 people.

Whitehurst said he questioned Burmeister's truthfulness after reviewing transcripts of his testimony at the 1997 federal trials of Nichols and bomber Timothy McVeigh, who was executed in 2001.

Burmeister's testimony was the same when he testified at Nichols' state trial last month. Prosecutors have said Burmeister's discovery is key to proving Nichols helped McVeigh gather components and build the bomb.

Whitehurst is an FBI whistleblower whose mid-1990s allegations of shoddy work inside the FBI lab led to widespread changes.

The Justice Department inspector general's office investigated the lab for 18 months and criticized the facility for flawed scientific work and inaccurate, pro-prosecution testimony in major cases, including the Oklahoma City bombing.

The Associated Press last year reported that Burmeister himself alleged to the Justice Department's inspector general that the bombing evidence was tainted by shoddy work and contamination problems, then recanted the allegation a few months before he testified in the McVeigh trial.

Whitehurst's testimony focused on a shredded piece of plywood recovered two days after the bombing that authorities believe came from the cargo container of the Ryder truck that delivered the bomb. The debris, found in a parking lot across the street from the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, is the only direct evidence of the explosive used.

Whitehurst said he saw the crystals through a microscope after Burmeister discovered them, but that it was impossible to say whether the crystals were embedded or sprinkled on the debris as a result of contamination.

"I saw a lot of these little crystals on the surface," Whitehurst said. "They were simply adhering to the surface."

Whitehurst said that ammonium nitrate could have been in the parking lot for a number of reasons.

Whitehurst said he was apprehensive about the discovery of the crystals because they were on debris that had been exposed to rain and water from fire hoses used to fight fires following the bombing. The crystals dissolve in water, Whitehurst said.

"It just leaves me as a scientist, knowing how these crystals act, leaves me uneasy," he said.

Whitehurst testified that Burmeister began referring to the crystals as embedded following a meeting with federal prosecutors involved in McVeigh's trial.

During the meeting, prosecutors asked Burmeister whether he could determine that the crystals were embedded or sprinkled on the surface. Burmeister said then that he could not tell, Whitehurst said.

Whitehurst also said that Burmeister misinterpreted scientific evidence to conclude that the ammonium nitrate came from fertilizer nodules as opposed to some other form.

Nichols, 49, could face the death penalty if convicted of 161 counts of murder in the bombing. A federal jury found him guilty in 1997 of bombing-related charges and a judge sentenced him to life in prison.

The state charges cover the other 160 people who died and one victim's fetus.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2004/may/19/051904069.html

Nichols convicted in state murder trial

Oklahoma bombings conspirator could face death penalty

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 Posted: 2008 GMT (0408 HKT)

McALESTER, Oklahoma (AP) -- Nearly a decade after the Oklahoma City bombing, Terry Nichols was convicted of 161 state murder charges Wednesday for helping carry out what was then the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil.

Nichols could get the death sentence he escaped when he was convicted in federal court in the 1990s.

The verdict came only five hours after the jury started deliberating.

Oklahoma prosecutors brought the case with the goal of finally winning a death sentence against Nichols, who is serving a life term on federal charges. The same 12-member jury will now determine Nichols' fate on the state charges: life in prison or death by injection.

A death sentence would supersede the life sentence Nichols currently is serving.

Prosecutors contended Nichols worked hand in hand with former Army buddy Timothy McVeigh to acquire the ingredients and build the fuel-and-fertilizer bomb in a twisted plot to avenge the government siege in Waco, Texas, exactly two years earlier.

The April 19, 1995, blast at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building killed 168 people. McVeigh was executed in June 2001, and until now was the only person convicted of murder in the bombing.

"These two were partners, and their business was terrorism," prosecutor Lou Keel said during opening statements.

Prosecutors brought a mountain of circumstantial evidence during a two-month trial that included testimony from about 250 witnesses. They said Nichols bought the explosive ammonium nitrate fertilizer used in the bombing and stole detonation cord, blasting caps and other explosives.

The defense contended that others helped McVeigh carry out the bombing and that Nichols was the fall guy for a wider conspiracy. Witnesses testified that they saw McVeigh with others, including a stocky, dark-haired man depicted in an FBI sketch and known only as John Doe No. 2, in the weeks before the bombing. Authorities later concluded that the mystery man was actually an Army private who had nothing to do with the bombing.

"This is a case about manipulation, betrayal and overreaching," defense attorney Barbara Bergman said in closing arguments. "People who are still unknown assisted Timothy McVeigh."

Defense lawyers had planned on bringing up evidence that a shadowy group of conspirators, including members a white supremacist gang, helped McVeigh with the bombing. But Judge Steven Taylor refused to allow that evidence, saying the defense never showed that such people made any overt acts to further the bomb plot.

Prosecutors say McVeigh and Nichols began acquiring the key ingredients for the bomb seven months before the blast, then met at a park near Junction City, Kansas, to pack it inside a Ryder truck on April 18, 1995. Nichols was at his home in Kansas 200 miles away when the bomb went off.

A total of 151 witnesses took the stand for the prosecution over 29 days of testimony that included several gruesome and tearful descriptions of the bombing.

The trial was moved 130 miles from Oklahoma City to McAlester because of the difficulty in finding an impartial jury in the city where passions still run high over the bombing.

The state's star witness was Michael Fortier, who is serving a 12-year sentence for knowing about the plot and not telling authorities.

Fortier, a close friend of McVeigh's, said McVeigh told him Nichols was deeply involved in the bomb plot and Nichols helped gather components, including the fertilizer that was mixed with high-octane fuel in the homemade bomb.

A receipt for the purchase of 2,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer was discovered in Nichols' home by FBI agents three days after the bombing.

Fortier said McVeigh and Nichols also burglarized a Kansas rock quarry near Nichols' home in Herington, Kansas, and stole the detonation cord and blasting caps. In addition, prosecutors alleged that Nichols robbed a gun collector to finance the bomb plot.

But there were no witnesses who identified Nichols as the man who bought fertilizer, stole the explosives or committed the robbery. Prosecutors linked Nichols to the explosives theft through forensic evidence from a broken padlock and said gold coins and weapons from the gun collector were found at his home.

Nichols was sentenced to life in prison in 1998 on federal involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy convictions for the deaths of eight federal law enforcement officials. Oklahoma prosecutors charged Nichols with the deaths of the 160 other victims and one victim's fetus.

Dozens of victims' family members and survivors of the bombing are expected to testify in the penalty phase, which is expected to last four to six weeks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/26/nichols.case.ap/index.html

Nichols avoids death sentence

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/06/11/nichols.trial/index.html

Jury deadlocks, sparing Nichols from death penalty
Oklahoma City bomber faces life either with or without parole

Friday, June 11, 2004 Posted: 10:55 PM EDT (0255 GMT)

McALESTER, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Convicted of 161 counts of murder in the Oklahoma City bombing, Terry Nichols was spared the death penalty for a second time Friday.

The jury in his state trial said it was deadlocked over whether to execute Timothy McVeigh's accomplice.

Pittsburg County District Judge Steven Taylor will determine Nichols' sentence August 9. His options are limited to life in prison either with or without the chance for parole.

It was the second time jurors were unable to reach a unanimous sentencing decision for Nichols, who was convicted for his role in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. The bombing killed 168 people.

In Denver in 1998, a federal jury deliberated 13 hours over two days on the sentencing verdict after convicting Nichols in the deaths of eight federal officers, but could not break a deadlock. The judge in that case sentenced Nichols to life without parole.

Nichols sat straight in his chair Friday as the jury foreman handed a note to Taylor that said, "We will not be able to reach a unanimous verdict."

"Sometimes this is how trials end up," Taylor said.

Nichols' mother, sister and ex-wife sat in the front row on one side of the courtroom, while bombing victims and their families sat on the other side of the aisle.

"This is unbelievable to me," said the relative of one of the bombing victims, pointing to all the evidence presented by prosecutors.

The jury returned to the courtroom twice Friday so its foreman could tell the judge the panel appeared hopelessly divided.

The second time, Taylor told the jurors they could resume their talks or give up. After deliberating another hour, jurors returned to the courtroom with their final decision.

Two weeks ago, the same jury convicted Nichols, 49, on 161 counts of first-degree murder for his role in the bombing. Of the 161 counts, 160 were eligible for the death penalty.

The remaining charge involved the death of a fetus, for which Nichols has already been sentenced to life in prison without parole -- the maximum sentence on that count.

Friday is the third anniversary of the execution of Nichol's bombing partner, McVeigh. He was convicted by a federal jury and put to death by lethal injection at a prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, on June 11, 2001.

The state of Oklahoma put Nichols on trial to try to seek a death sentence for him. During his trial, Nichols has been held at a nearby state prison that houses Oklahoma's death row.

Nichols was accused of helping bombing mastermind McVeigh assemble the bomb and obtain the ammonium nitrate fertilizer used to build it. The bombing took place on the second anniversary of the deadly FBI raid on the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas -- the focus of McVeigh's anger at the federal government.

"Each and every one of these people died so [Nichols and McVeigh] could make a political statement," prosecutor Sandra Elliott told the jury Wednesday in her closing arguments.

Defense lawyers described Nichols as the pawn of a "dominant, manipulative and controlling" McVeigh.

The prosecution and defense called 87 witnesses over five days of testimony in the penalty phase of the trial, many of them relatives still grieving over their losses nine years ago. Nichols' attorney, Creekmore Wallace, urged jurors not to be swayed by "that flood of tears, that flood of pain" related by victims who testified.

CNN's Susan Candiotti and Jim Polk contributed to this report.

Terry Nichols Receives 161 Life Sentences

Terry Nichols Receives Life Sentence for Each of 161 Victims in 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing

The Associated Press

McALESTER, Okla. Aug. 9, 2004 — Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols was sentenced Monday to life without the possibility of parole for his role in the worst act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history. He issued a statement citing God and asking forgiveness.

District Judge Steven Taylor ordered Nichols to serve the life term on each of 161 counts of first-degree murder and that the sentences run consecutively.

Nichols had already been sentenced to life without parole in 1998 on federal bombing charges; Monday's sentence was on the state murder counts. Nichols was spared the death penalty on the state counts when jurors could not agree on a sentence.

Nichols, 49, never testified during his state and federal trials and said nothing after he was convicted in federal court. But he submitted a lengthy written statement Monday in which he asked for forgiveness and offered anyone his help in the healing process.

Nichols prayed "for everyone to acknowledge God," and to make God first in their life, the statement read.

But Taylor called Nichols a terrorist and said the redemption and atonement he seeks is only the beginning.

Nichols received 10 years and a ,000 fine for a conspiracy count; 35 years and a ,000 fine for first-degree arson and was ordered to pay million in restitution and ,000 per count to a victims compensation fund, as well as legal fees.

Nichols was convicted on federal involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy charges for the deaths of eight federal law enforcement officers who were among the 168 victims killed during the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

Jurors at his federal trial also had deadlocked on whether to sentence Nichols to death.

The state charges were for the other 160 victims and one victim's fetus. Jurors could not consider a death sentence on the count involving the fetus and sentenced Nichols to life without the possibility of parole for that count.

Taylor had the choice of sentencing Nichols to life with or without the possibility of parole on the remaining charges.

With the sentencing, Nichols has 10 days to appeal his conviction and sentence. His defense attorneys have urged him not to appeal, since gaining a new trail could result in another attempt to secure the death penalty.

The chief prosecutor, Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane, has said he expects Nichols to be returned to federal custody once the deadline for filing an appeal expires.

Bomber Timothy McVeigh was convicted of federal conspiracy and murder charges and executed on June 11, 2001.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040809_605.html

Timothy James McVeigh: Martyr Without A Cause: A Different P

This woman has produced a site dedicated to McVeigh:

http://www.geocities.com/psychodramata_2001/

She claims not to be obsessed but it is an awfully big long page jam packed full of haikus, photos, etc. (some of which, like the retribution haiku, are distinctly scary).

Sun November 28, 2004

Terry Nichols confessed

By Nolan Clay
The Oklahoman

Copyright 2004, The Oklahoman

Terry Nichols confessed during secret plea negotiations last year that he had a major role in the deadly 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

NEWS 9 Report

He admitted he helped bomber Timothy McVeigh, including in "the actual making of the bomb." He revealed they had to siphon diesel fuel from his GMC pickup to finish it.

"McVeigh told me what to do," he admitted in a detailed statement seen by The Oklahoman.

He also stated that he knew of no other conspirators in the attack that left 168 dead, including 19 children.

"I am unaware as to who was involved in the planning besides McVeigh,'' he stated.

However, Nichols refused to disclose where he hid stolen blasting caps left over from the making of the bomb.

Nichols, 49, never testified at his 1997 federal trial or this year's state trial. His attorneys claimed he had no part in the attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. They suggested McVeigh had help from others and set up Nichols to take the blame.

Nichols was convicted at his federal trial of the bombing conspiracy and manslaughter of eight federal agents.

He was convicted at his state trial of arson, conspiracy to commit arson and 161 counts of first-degree murder.

The state case focused on the 160 other casualties, as well as the loss of a fetus.

Nichols was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of release in both cases. He avoided the death penalty because jurors could not agree on that punishment.

Nichols made the admission last year as part of an effort to persuade state prosecutors to drop their request for a death sentence. The negotiations fell through because prosecutors thought he was not forthcoming enough.

Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said Saturday: "Although I had nothing to do with the release of this document, I cannot say that I am disappointed that the public finally gets a glimpse of my frustration with Terry Nichols, and his refusal to tell us where certain bomb-making materials are still hidden, even to this day. There was no point in talking to him any further.''

Defense attorneys declined comment Saturday.

Prosecutors could not use the statement against Nichols unless he testified. Its existence has stayed secret in part because the trial judge barred prosecutors from making public details of the plea negotiations, even after the trial was over.

Prosecutors sought to discuss plea negotiations because defense attorneys had said before trial Nichols was willing to plead no contest.

Nichols answered five questions from prosecutors.

The answers were prepared with the help of his attorneys and apparently were not written down by Nichols himself.

In those answers, he admitted to helping McVeigh get the bomb's ingredients -- ammonium nitrate fertilizer from a farmers co-op in Kansas and nitromethane racing fuel from a racetrack in Texas.

He also admitted picking McVeigh up in downtown Oklahoma City on Easter 1995 -- three days before the April 19 attack. McVeigh had driven from Kansas to Oklahoma City to park the getaway car, according to evidence at the trials.

Nichols described in detail how he and McVeigh alone built the bomb in the back of a rented Ryder truck beside a Kansas fishing lake.

"The bomb was constructed at Geary Lake. The only people present were Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols,'' he stated.

"McVeigh did the planning and was involved in all aspects of the bombing, including carrying it out,'' he also stated.

"I was involved in the gathering and storing of the components of the bomb, the testing of some of the components, going to Oklahoma City on Easter Sunday to pick up McVeigh, and the actual making of the bomb.''

His admission mirrors what McVeigh told biographers before his 2001 execution. McVeigh admitted setting off the bomb in Oklahoma City and insisted only he and Nichols were involved in the plot.

Included with the statement was a diagram in the shape of a V to explain how about 11 barrels were arranged in the back of the Ryder truck.

"Boards were nailed into the floor to hold the barrels in place,'' Nichols stated. "McVeigh poured the fertilizer into the barrels. I am unsure how much fertilizer McVeigh put into each barrel. He had it all figured out.

"The nitromethane was added next. McVeigh had purchased a bathroom scale. There were several white plastic 5-gallon pails that were used to weigh the nitromethane,'' he also stated.

"Prior to finishing, it was obvious that there would not be enough nitromethane, so diesel fuel was siphoned out of my truck and used to finish the barrels.''

Nichols explained how McVeigh used blasting caps and other explosives stolen from a Kansas rock quarry to arm the bomb. "It appeared that he was priming everything to make sure it would all go off,'' Nichols stated.

He stated that two holes were drilled into the Ryder cab. "One green cannon fuse was run through each hole into the cab, under the seat. That is how McVeigh initiated the fuse,'' he stated.

Nichols acknowledged some stolen blasting caps were left over from making the bomb, but he did not disclose where they ended up. He stated they were kept for a short time in a storage unit in Herington, Kan.

"After the bombing, I took those blasting caps and, along with other items, wrapped them in plastic and put them in a place where they would not be found by anyone,'' he stated.

FBI agents did find five Primadet blasting caps in the basement of Nichols' Herington home after the bombing.

Prosecutors contend Nichols helped McVeigh steal explosives in 1994 from the Martin Marietta rock quarry near Marion, Kan. They also contend Nichols alone robbed an Arkansas gun collector in November 1994 to finance the plot.

However, prosecutors did not ask Nichols directly whether he did the quarry burglary and Arkansas robbery. Nichols did not admit to those crimes in the written answers.

Nichols denied knowing anyone else -- including McVeigh's friends, Michael and Lori Fortier -- had a role in the bombing.

"As to Michael Fortier, Lori Fortier, or others, I was unaware of their involvement,'' he stated. "McVeigh was very careful to make sure that all discussions were held in private between him and I and, it seems, between him and others.''

Michael Fortier is serving a 12-year federal prison sentence for knowing about the bomb plot and never warning anyone, for helping McVeigh move and sell stolen guns, and for lying to FBI agents after the bombing.

Michael Fortier has said he rejected McVeigh's attempts to recruit him to help make the bomb. His wife, Lori Fortier, also has said McVeigh told her of his plans. She was never charged.

Michael Fortier said McVeigh was worried Nichols would back out.

Nichols Statement

This is the text of Terry Nichols' statement during 2003 plea negotiations and the five questions asked by state prosecutors. The Oklahoman has provided definitions or explanations on the side to some references.

Were you present during the purchase of: ammonium nitrate, nitromethane, barrels and where was each purchased?

Ammonium nitrate: Yes, for the majority of the purchases. It is my understanding that McVeigh bought some additional bags of ammonium nitrate (approximately 12 or more) on his own. I was not involved in those purchases. The ones I was involved in were purchased from the McPherson, Kansas Coop. I do not know where McVeigh purchased the additional 12 or so bags.

Nitromethane: I was at the racetrack in Ennis, Texas, when the nitromethane was purchased. Upon arriving, McVeigh only received one admission tag to enter the area and therefore I was unable to accompany him to the actual purchase of the nitromethane. At his direction, I waited for him to purchase the nitromethane.

Barrels: Yes, approximately six 55-gallon steel barrels with removable lids were purchased from a business I think was called SDS Recycling in El Dorado, Kansas. The business was located on the west side of town on the north side of the highway.

Six 55-gallon white plastic barrels with bung holes (a couple could have had blue rims) were purchased at a business I believed was called Hillsboro Dairy Plant located at Hillsboro, Kansas. It was located on the north edge of town, just south of the highway. The four plastic barrels (2 white and 2 white with blue rims) found in my garage came from a business that was called something like Environment Recycling in Marion, Kansas, near the southwest edge of town.

----------------
How and where was the bomb constructed and who was present, to include ingredients, percentage of fertilizer to nitromethane, boosters, initiator, and where did the recipe come from?

The bomb was constructed at Geary Lake. The only people present were Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

The barrels were put in a shape charge design in the Ryder truck. I think there were eleven barrels and they were in the shape of this diagram.

Boards were nailed into the floor to hold the barrels in place. McVeigh poured the fertilizer into the barrels. I am unsure how much fertilizer McVeigh put into each barrel. He had it all figured out. The nitromethane was added next. McVeigh had purchased a bathroom scale. There were several white plastic 5-gallon pails that were used to weigh the nitromethane.

The nitromethane was drawn out of the barrels by the use of a hand pump that McVeigh bought from the same man who sold him the nitromethane. If my memory is correct, I believe that 20-22 pounds of nitromethane was put into a pail. I cannot recall, but more than one pail of nitromethane was put into each barrel.

Prior to finishing, it was obvious that there would not be enough nitromethane, so diesel fuel was siphoned out of my truck and used to finish the barrels.

There were about 12 bags of ammonium nitrate that were not put in the barrels. McVeigh stacked them in front of the point of the barrels. McVeigh put a hole in each of the bags and poured some diesel in each of the bags and then rolled them around a bit. The barrels were not mixed or moved.

McVeigh put some Tovex in each barrel. I believe that McVeigh also put a major booster charge (Tovex) at the inside point of the V shape of the barrels. I do not know if he put anything with the bags of fertilizer, but it appeared that he was priming everything to make sure it would all go off.

Kinepak was mixed and put in the major booster charge. I believe that Kinepak was also mixed and placed in each of the barrels and, I assume, the bags of fertilizer. The only initiator that I am aware of was the Primadet and at least two regular blasting caps. A Primadet was placed in each barrel on the Kinepak and I believe he placed one in a location in the center of the group of bags of ammonium nitrate. All of the Primadet came to one location.

I did not really see how he did each step of the Primadet, but I believe he used two regular blasting caps with green cannon fuse to initiate the Primadet cords.

Whether he had Kinepak there or not, I do not know.

Two holes were drilled in the cab of the Ryder truck and two holes were drilled in the van of the Ryder truck. One green cannon fuse was run through each hole into the cab, under the seat. That is how McVeigh initiated the fuse.

The recipe was McVeigh's and I believe he got it from the "Homemade C-4" literature and other literature he had gathered.

I do not know the percentages. McVeigh told me what to do and so I was unaware of what the percentages were.

----------------------
Where did any extra explosives from Martin Marietta Rock Quarry end up?

From reviewing the documents and sitting through my trial in this case, I have learned that McVeigh gave certain explosives away and may have sold others. I do not remember being aware of those actions at the time. I was present when some of the Primadet and Tovex from the Marion Quarry was used near Kingman, Arizona.

There were some explosives from the Marion Quarry, blasting caps only, that were left over after making the bomb. Those were left in the Herington Storage Unit.

After the bombing, I took those blasting caps and, along with other items, wrapped them in plastic and put them in a place where they would not be found by anyone. If McVeigh had other of the explosives from the Marion Quarry remaining after the making of the bomb, he did not tell me about it.

-----------------------
Who participated in planning and who knew of the plan to blow up the Murrah Building and what was their level of participation?

Timothy McVeigh: McVeigh did the planning and was involved in all aspects of the bombing, including carrying it out.

Terry Nichols: I was involved in the gathering and storing of the components of the bomb, the testing of some of the components, going to Oklahoma City on Easter Sunday to pick up McVeigh, and the actual making of the bomb.

As to Michael Fortier, Lori Fortier, or others, I was unaware of their involvement. McVeigh was very careful to make sure that all discussions were held in private between him and I and, it seems, between him and others.

---------------------
Who went to the Murrah Building to select it or studied plans of it to plan the bombing?

While I am sure that McVeigh told me something about the building he selected, I did not know anything of who or when anyone went to the Murrah Building to select it as a target. I never saw any plans for the bombing.

I am unaware as to who was involved in the planning besides McVeigh. The only time I was near the Murrah Building, other than driving on the interstate while passing through Oklahoma City, was on Easter Sunday, April 16, 1995, to pick up McVeigh from the downtown area. I did not know which building McVeigh chose as a target until I saw and read about it in the media after the bombing.

As to the diagram that was found in the trash can, I have no idea what that is a diagram of or where it came from.

I also was at a gun show at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds in early 1995.

Source

I watched a programme on this tonight. I wonder if had McVeigh not got nicked because of his own stupidity (no number plates and an unlicenced gun) would he really have been caught within 50 hours of the bombing.

It's amazing that someone can plan something so meticulously and then cock it up with such an "over sight" when, if he'd thought about it, the place would have been crawling with police and FBI anyway.

On the otherhand...maybe he had wanted to get caught after all. Who knows?

More info along the line sof the FT article:

FBI Finds Explosives in Nichols' Old Home

Sat Apr 2, 9:53 AM ET

By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The FBI is facing the possibility it made an embarrassing oversight in the Oklahoma City bombing case a decade ago after new information led agents to explosive materials hidden in Terry Nichols' former home, which they had searched several times before.

FBI officials said the material was found Thursday night and Friday in a crawl space of the house in Herington, Kan. They believe agents failed to check that space during the numerous searches of the property during the original investigation of Nichols and Timothy McVeigh.

"The information so far indicates the items have been there since prior to the Oklahoma City bombing," Agent Gary Johnson said in a telephone interview from Oklahoma City.

FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza said in Kansas the materials were found in boxes, much of them wrapped in plastic, and were being sent to the FBI lab for analysis. The bureau is operating on the assumption the evidence was from the original Oklahoma plot based on information developed in recent days, he said.

Agents now will be looking for any fingerprints and other clues on the evidence that might show where the explosives originated and who may have possessed them before they got into Nichols' home.

The extraordinary discovery, just three weeks from the 10th anniversary of the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City, which killed 168 people, could prove a new embarrassment to an FBI already burned by missteps in this case and the pre-Sept. 11 period.

Nichols, who is serving multiple life sentences on federal and state charges, hasn't lived at the property for years. FBI officials said the information that led to the discovery indicated Nichols had buried the evidence before the attack on April 19, 1995.

One of Nichols' attorneys said Friday the discovery was either a hoax or a major failure by the FBI.

"They were there often," said attorney Brian Hermanson, who represented Nichols in last year's Oklahoma state murder trial that ended with Nichols' conviction. "It's surprising. I would think they would have done their job and found everything that was there."

"But I'm still suspicious that it could be something planted there," Hermanson said. "The house was empty for several years and if somebody wanted to put something there to incriminate Terry they had plenty of time to have done it."

Dan Defenbaugh, the retired FBI agent who ran the Oklahoma City investigation, said he was dismayed that his agency may have missed the evidence. "When you do a search warrant of that importance, you have to make sure it's thorough," he said.

FBI agents went to the property Thursday night and then summoned a bomb squad after finding the potentially dangerous materials, Lanza said. The search ended late Friday afternoon and the evidence was being shipped to the FBI lab outside Washington.

Lanza said the material was buried in the crawl space under about a foot of rock, dirt and gravel, an area that had not been searched during the original investigation.

"Depending on the situation, that's something that may not necessarily be searched, especially given the fact that there was no information there was anything in there. And even if you searched the crawl space at that time and dug through the rock and rubble you wouldn't find anything until you went at least a foot down," he said.

Lanza said the information that spurred the search indicated that "Nichols was responsible for hiding these devices" and "we are operating under the assumption that Terry Nichols put them there." He declined to be more specific about the source of the information.

Nichols and McVeigh, who was executed for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing, had used blasting caps, fertilizer and fuel to make the bomb used to destroy the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

McVeigh's trial lawyer, Stephen Jones, said Friday he knew that some materials gathered for the attack were never found by the FBI and this discovery could answer some of those questions. But he added it also could prove to be another black eye for the FBI, which was criticized for causing a delay in McVeigh's execution after it found new documents in the case.

"I think it is clearly embarrassing if it turns out to be true," Jones said. "We've gone from not producing everything for the defendants to failing to recover from one of the conspirator's homes evidence that clearly is material."

Georgia Rucker has owned the house in Kansas since 1997 and rented it several times. She said Thursday the last tenant was evicted in October and she had been preparing the home for sale. Rucker said she was contacted by two FBI agents Thursday and gave permission for authorities to search the premises.

Last year, the FBI ordered a review of some aspects of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing probe after a series of Associated Press stories identified evidence that the lead investigator in the case said had never been shown to his team.

The evidence raised questions about whether a group of white supremacist bank robbers might have had some connection to the attack.

Source

Stranger things have happened but it does make me wonder about the original search. You would think that if you are dealing with the house of a suspected terrorist that one obvious place to hide weapons would be to bury them. Sounds a tad bit fishy to me.
Peace
=^..^=217

As the 10th anniversary of the bombing approaches FOXNews {cough, cough, cough is airing a special "The Oklahoma City Bombing: Unanswered Questions" tonight (Sunday 17 April) at 9PM EDT. Here's the accompanying story. I'll certainly watch, and then comment tonight or
tomorrow. Not much new in the way of either questions or answers, it seems, but not completely unlike the ABC special on UFOs, unless it's an utterly dismissive hatchet-job, it's noteworthy for the simple fact that a 'mainstream' media outlet, with lots of resources, is putting some of them into looking at a *fringe* (at least in terms of the "party line" to explain it away that's dutifully repeated by TPTB) topic.

Did Oklahoma City Bombers Have Help?

Sunday, April 17, 2005

One month after the April 19, 1995, Oklahoma City bombing (search) that killed 168 people, authorities demolished what was left of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building (search).

Officials said the implosion was a necessary part of the psychological recovery for the citizens of Oklahoma City. But critics question the FBI’s tactics and argue the building came down too soon and the implosion is one piece of a government cover-up.

Survivor VZ Lawton remembers the events after the attack.

“I was in my office at my desk signing papers and all of a sudden the building began to shake,” said Lawton. “The lights went out, debris started falling and then something hit me on the head and knocked me out before the truck bomb ever went off.”

Lawton and some others believe Timothy McVeigh (search) — who was convicted of federal conspiracy and murder charges in the bombing and executed in 2001 — and convicted conspirator Terry Nichols (search) weren't alone in plotting the attack.

During the investigation the FBI circulated sketches of “John Does” and in response received thousands of conflicting tips from across the country.

Editor's Note: Watch the FOX News Channel on Sunday at 9 p.m. EDT for "The Oklahoma City Bombing: Unanswered Questions." And check out FOXNews.com on Monday for a story showing how FBI agents are convinced they got the right men.

The FBI quickly identified Timothy McVeigh as John Doe No. 1 — the man who rented the Ryder Truck used in the deadly plot. But, the FBI discounted dozens of eyewitness statements about a John Doe No. 2. And some ask why.

"The government tried to tell us that there was no John Doe 2 in the truck with McVeigh," Lawton said. "We got witnesses that saw him in the truck, saw him get out of the truck, walk across the street and get into a brown Chevrolet pickup with two more John Doe 2's. That makes three."

A number of eyewitnesses said they saw McVeigh with other men at a variety of locations in Oklahoma and Kansas before the attack. Some accounts put McVeigh with other men on the morning of the bombing — but the FBI has ruled them out.

Pictures made from surveillance video at the Regency Tower Apartments are the only images related to the attack that have been released to the public.

Oklahoma City attorney Michael Johnston said the FBI was not given all the tapes from as many as twenty-five cameras that he says were in and around the Murrah Building.

“If they're really non-consequential, it wouldn't hurt anything. If indeed they show something I think the American public, after a decade, has the right to know,” he said.

Johnston, on behalf of twenty-five victims’ families, filed a Freedom of Information (FOI) request for all of the surveillance videos. FOX News also filed a FOI request. The FBI has denied both cases on account that the case is still open.

"We can’t expect to get that footage until after that case is closed and then I think you will," said FBI agent Jon Hersley.

Racial Tie to Bombing?

Another surveillance tape of interest might have shown McVeigh with some notorious bank robbers, but the FBI admits the video was destroyed.

“There's also some bank robbery surveillance tapes that were disposed of in some way that could've involved McVeigh with the Midwest robbery gang. There's just a lot of unanswered questions there,” former FBI agent Danny Coulson said.

Between the years of 1992 and 1996, a gang of white separatists who called themselves the Aryan Republican Army robbed banks throughout the Midwest and stole nearly $500,000 before being caught. Rumors have persisted that the ARA was tied to McVeigh.

“The Midwest bank robbers of course are somebody that should be looked at. Terrorists historically finance their operations through bank robbery, armored car robbery,” Coulson said. “Coincidences just aren't coincidences, there's some reason for it.”

Peter Langan, one of the gang’s leaders who is serving a life sentence for his role in the robberies, told FOX News in an exclusive interview that some of the Midwest bank robbers were involved in the Oklahoma City bombing.

“Yes I do [believe members of the Aryan Republican Army were involved],” Langan said. “No doubt whatsoever.”

McVeigh's sister, Jennifer, in her own sworn deposition said: "My brother remarked that the money he had in his possession represented his share of the bank robbery proceeds."

Some argue the FBI should have looked harder at phone records they used to track McVeigh and Nichols. The records might hold ignored or missed clues that call for a wider investigation, especially the number of calls McVeigh made to the Philippines.

“It's amazing to me that not more has been made of those phone records,” Johnston said.

Repeated calls were made from Terry Nichols' home to a place called Star Glad Lumber in the Philippines.

“Star Glad Lumber is operated by a man whose brother and cousin were both notorious terrorists, splinter groups of the Abu Sayyaf terror group in the Philippines,” according to Johnston, the attorney.

Nichols also repeatedly called a boarding house in Cebu City, an establishment that has been linked to 1993 World Trade Center bombing mastermind Ramzi Yousef (search). The same kind of ANFO fertilizer fuel bomb was used in New York and in Oklahoma City.

Finally, in McVeigh's trial the prosecution alleged that the bombing was financed by a robbery of an Arkansas gun dealer named Roger Moore. But Langan doesn't agree.

"Moore had himself robbed ... so he could put firearms in the black market without having liability himself," Langan said.

Asked if he believed Moore was not a victim, but part of the scam, Langan told FOX News: "Correct."

FOX News' Rita Cosby, Clay Rawson and Peter Russo contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,153635,00.html

Well, I promised a review of the FOX special, but this will be brief...err, the article above was the show. In its entirety. Which was an hour. I'm not sure how they managed to convey so little in that length of time. It also seemed to aimed at, well, frankly, simpletons. Its POV wasn't particularly objectionable but it was just...vapid. [/i]

Back