• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Onomatopoeia For Sounds That Cannot Be Heard

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I never knew this existed as a concept, just came upon it by accident while asking google why one of the characters in the anime Higurashi no naku koru ni has a weird habit of finishing sentences with "Nippa!".

The answer to that is disputed as some people think it's a nonsense word she says to be cute, the alternative is that it's one of a number of Common japanese onomatopoeia word sounds found in manga

Some of these are quite funny, think my favourite has to be:

kachi kachi kachi = (ice forming)

:lol:

The thing I found interesting when I was taking some Japanese evening classes was the day the teacher gave us all a worksheet that was "match the animal sounds to the animal". It's surprising how differently people will hear the noises an animal makes, some of them were totally inexplicable (and it was pretty hard to even get the ones that were obvious in retrospect).

Higurashi is also an excellent anime, like a mix between Groundhog Day and terrible murders (and thus paranormal-themed in its own right).

I used to have a Chinese teacher (a teacher from China, not someone who taught me Chinese), who said that in China guns go Ping Ping

I always thought it odd, and a bit charming, that the sound effects in the Asterix books weren't quite the same as in English comics. Most notably "PAF!", which I believe is French for "POW!"

And somehow much funnier :)

Anome_ said:
I always thought it odd, and a bit charming, that the sound effects in the Asterix books weren't quite the same as in English comics. Most notably "PAF!", which I believe is French for "POW!"

And the way Snowy went Le Woof.

Higurashi is also an excellent anime, like a mix between Groundhog Day and terrible murders (and thus paranormal-themed in its own right).

I got onto it a while back, only just discovered that they'd made the 'answer' arcs as well as the 'question arcs'.

Umineko I think is even better, but you probably know about that already.

ramonmercado said:
Anome_ said:

Actually, he went "WOAH! WOAH!", but it is another example.

Anome_ said:
ramonmercado said:
Anome_ said:

Actually, he went "WOAH! WOAH!", but it is another example.

I was only doing a Daily Mail style report. :)

Back